Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Bussamove posted:

Akliz is what I use as well, and for every major update they've had the option to change to the current jar from the control panel. That being said I usually keep mine at the old version for a while until Bukkit updates, but with them joining Mojang I have no idea how I'm going to keep creepers from blowing everything up anymore.

Actually, bukkit joining Mojang is good news for 1.2, since they're already working on the update now, so in theory bukkit should update faster then usual.

Keep in mind that since this is bukkit we're talking about, they could just as well take a month to get an RB out, so you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Laser Spider posted:

Side note here, but this is why I hope Something Awful never has a collapsable spoiler tag like this. No, I don't loving want to have to click a million buttons just to read someone's entire post.

I love collapsable spoilers for sperging out about stuff. I can put the stuff most people care about in the post and spoiler out my massive wall of text on how Minecraft is a logical product of Confucianism or whatever.

Laser Spider posted:

What was so special about this seed in pre-1.8 worlds? Did it start you in a cave or something, or was that glacier?

It was pretty much just really hilly with a bunch of box canyons and the like. It got really popular, then sustained itself since people could get on a gargamel server and know roughly where they were.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

quote:

When crafting slabs, you now get 6 instead of 3
When crafting ladders, you now get 3 instead of 2!

This is fantastic. It's a small thing, but it's just fantastic.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Schwarzwald posted:

This is fantastic. It's a small thing, but it's just fantastic.

I can't speak for the ladders, but it never made sense to me that cutting three blocks in half would give you 3 half-blocks.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Maybe this will mean that desert areas will be swarming with creepers in a future update?

I hope not. Ancient ruins in the desert are for skellies. Thick green forests and jungles are clearly where the creeper belongs. Notch, you are going contrary to all fantasy logic here. :(

Fuzz Boxer
Apr 28, 2007

sticking with whatever fails

Sultan Tarquin posted:

So I built a big mansion. What do you think?

Nicely done mein friend. Maybe hang your priceless paintings in one of those rooms.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I can't speak for the ladders, but it never made sense to me that cutting three blocks in half would give you 3 half-blocks.

Well, minecraft is a game of rigidly-defined blocks and blocks exactly half their size. But a saw has some width and it removes some material. So if you take a whole block and saw it, you can't end up with two exact halves. The other piece, being slightly smaller than a half-block, must be discarded, for it has no place in a world of blocks and half-blocks.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Bussamove posted:

Akliz is what I use as well, and for every major update they've had the option to change to the current jar from the control panel. That being said I usually keep mine at the old version for a while until Bukkit updates, but with them joining Mojang I have no idea how I'm going to keep creepers from blowing everything up anymore.

World conversion I have no idea. I would like to know as well because I would really not enjoy having to lose all of our work to get neat new jungle biomes. :(

This is the toughest problem with minecraft for me. Its not necesarily Notch's fault or anything but its really tough to get invested in a world when cool new stuff comes out every month or two.

I know there are mods to help with this though. Plus all my mods/clients break every time for a few weeks so minecraft updating means I can't play right for two weeks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Laser Spider posted:

Side note here, but this is why I hope Something Awful never has a collapsable spoiler tag like this. No, I don't loving want to have to click a million buttons just to read someone's entire post.

Or just include a "Collapse/Expand All" toggle? :shobon:

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Looks like 1.2 is out now.

Finally time to get back into MC proper.

Edit: Also looks like hatfilms did another trailer or something according to Jebs twitter.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Last Emperor posted:

Looks like 1.2 is out now.

Finally time to get back into MC proper.

Edit: Also looks like hatfilms did another trailer or something according to Jebs twitter.

Time to start the bug counter rolling again, then?

E: Looks like tree spawning's the only thing anyone's reported so far.

From the wiki: No big trees in Forest, no pines in Taiga, no giant mushrooms in Mushroom Biomes

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 1, 2012

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Time to start the bug counter rolling again, then?

It didn't crash on start-up so I guess that's a success. I haven't played any of the pre-releases so loading up a new world and starting in a jungle as just happened is going to be...interesting.

I guess this is Jeb's first actual release/update since heading development now?

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Loaded my 1.2-something snapshot world, the one right before Anvil. Go through conversion.

After a few seconds in game it says "saving chunks" then the screen goes black.

I downloaded the launcher again but still no dice. I use the 64 bit Java.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Mac users: Part of the release notes mentioned the launcher would now select 64 bit Java. To take advantage of that I actually had to re-download the launcher; just running the update didn't seem to do it.

(When you go to the settings in-game and select the "far" view settings, red text will pop up if you are using 32 bit Java)

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
I like the prospect of sandstone hieroglyphs. There are certain changes to blocks that used to be mimetic throughout texture packs. Lamps and stone bricks are examples of things we used to replace older blocks with, and now we actually have them in the game properly.

Hopefully the hieroglyphs are implemented eventually. :o

Edit: If anyone wants a seed that spawns you in a jungle, -7513182701230431127.

Also, the new debug overlay tells you the biome type. Fancy. :)

moondust fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 1, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I want every biome to be as cool as jungles.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

ManPortable posted:

Mac users: Part of the release notes mentioned the launcher would now select 64 bit Java. To take advantage of that I actually had to re-download the launcher; just running the update didn't seem to do it.

(When you go to the settings in-game and select the "far" view settings, red text will pop up if you are using 32 bit Java)

It would warn you about (not) using 64-bit Java before this, but even if you were on a 64-bit Mac, it wouldn't actually select it automatically. Good to hear that it does now.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Looks like there was another update. I restored a backup, converted again, and it still crashes.

I converted a 1.1 world without any difficulty. This loving sucks. I hate you, Minecraft.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What mods / programs do you use to port a 1.1 map over to 1.2? I have a small town that I'd like to transfer into a 1.2 world.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Trees work again. Also snow. Saw this in the changelog:

quote:

Due to popular demand, Seed info is "0" in SMP, to avoid people to recreate the world in SSP

Hell's that mean? Way it's worded, sounds like you can't get a seed from some SMP place you've visited to build on it in single player. That doesn't sound cool. Why would that be added?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Trees work again. Also snow. Saw this in the changelog:

Hell's that mean? Way it's worded, sounds like you can't get a seed from some SMP place you've visited to build on it in single player. That doesn't sound cool. Why would that be added?

I'd guess it would be the fact that players could circumvent a server's anti-cheat detection by loading up the seed in single player and map out all the dungeons and diamond nodes.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Has the new update changed something in relation to the levels? I tried loading my world into MCEdit and I'm just getting empty blue space. Works fine in Minecraft itself but the editor is empty.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

entris posted:

What mods / programs do you use to port a 1.1 map over to 1.2? I have a small town that I'd like to transfer into a 1.2 world.

As I understand it, old maps are perfectly usable in 1.2. If you were asking how to get old maps to generate new terrain, this was linked a few pages back.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Laser Spider posted:

It would warn you about (not) using 64-bit Java before this, but even if you were on a 64-bit Mac, it wouldn't actually select it automatically. Good to hear that it does now.

Will this cause problems for people like me who have edited their Minecraft files to automatically select 64-bit java on a Mac?

Edit: as per this thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/57538-mac-guide-106-how-to-make-minecraftapp-use-64bit-java/

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

WMain00 posted:

Has the new update changed something in relation to the levels? I tried loading my world into MCEdit and I'm just getting empty blue space. Works fine in Minecraft itself but the editor is empty.

New file format, blocks are stored y/z/x instead of x/z/y, weird poo poo happens when you switch variables in relation to each other.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also how have I only seen this today?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNw2YcAK9Wc

I know what I'm doing tonight...

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

thehustler posted:

Also how have I only seen this today?

I know what I'm doing tonight...

Oh my god, it is beautiful.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

tinaun posted:

New file format, blocks are stored y/z/x instead of x/z/y, weird poo poo happens when you switch variables in relation to each other.

I probably missed this over the last few pages, but can you confirm for me, we have to convert worlds in order to use the new double height thing, right? That's a manual thing, the SMP server won't do it automatically or anything like that?

What if we want to use it without the double height for now? Is that doable without conversion?

Edit: Just to confirm this is SMP, not SSP.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Did cave generation get turned back on for 1.2? I know it was turned off (deliberately or accidentally, I'm not sure) on one of last week's snapshots.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Wasn't the amount of block ids supposed to be expanded?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Nether's height or whatever any bigger? Like, would I be able to make a surface portal, climb up real high in the Nether, make another portal, and pop out in god drat outer space? I want a quick way to a space station here, basically.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sonance posted:

Did cave generation get turned back on for 1.2? I know it was turned off (deliberately or accidentally, I'm not sure) on one of last week's snapshots.

Yes it's on. I found an abandoned mine and several ravines as well. The river gen code seems slightly less interested in making continuous rivers now, there are multiple "dry spots" on a river near our new build spot.

There's an abundance of trees in snow biomes now, too.

ChibiSoma posted:

Is the Nether's height or whatever any bigger? Like, would I be able to make a surface portal, climb up real high in the Nether, make another portal, and pop out in god drat outer space? I want a quick way to a space station here, basically.

You can build on top of the "ceiling" in the nether now. The ceiling is still at 128 blocks though. Would be interesting to make a fast travel rail system up there, assuming that ghasts, etc and pigmen can't spawn up there.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 1, 2012

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Don't think the nether was touched for height since Jeb didn't want to mess with world generation code too much and the entirity of the nether is sandwiched between two layers of bedrock. This would also cause major issues for converting 1.1 nethers over.
Hadlock has clearer information on this.

Sonance posted:

That was a bug, it is fixed.
Again, Hadlock has beaten me to the punch. :P

Super Dude posted:

Wasn't the amount of block ids supposed to be expanded?

Yes, that was added in snapshot 12w07a that came out on Feb 15th. There are now 4,096 block IDs for use of future vanilla blocks and to help prevent block ID errors for modding. This is part of the new Anvil file format.

thehustler posted:

I probably missed this over the last few pages, but can you confirm for me, we have to convert worlds in order to use the new double height thing, right? That's a manual thing, the SMP server won't do it automatically or anything like that?

What if we want to use it without the double height for now? Is that doable without conversion?

Edit: Just to confirm this is SMP, not SSP.

Changing to 1.2 requires generating a new world or using this or this. Note that I have not tested these methods myself so back up your world.

There is no way of using 1.2 without converting because the code now relies on the new Anvil file format, all worlds before 1.2 use MCregion format. You can read about the new file format here.

Note that converting an old map to 1.2 will have issues with biomes since biome data is now stored differently instead of relying on a world generation algorithm (this is so that future changes to world generation code will not cause maps to have their biomes be screwed with). So biomes may be redefined randomly. Jeb has placed code in Anvil to allow 3rd party developers to write a tool that can manually redefine a biome, but I do not believe anyone has that tool yet.

Sorry that this will probably cause you problems, depending on the size of your world you could probably use a tool like mcEdit once it works with the new world structure and copy important structures and cities over to a new map. It is why on WilsonSMP we used an island for our 1.0 world since we knew that we would need something easily transportable since Jeb has been talking about these changes for a while now.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2012

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

drat. I thought there was going to be a tool to run worlds through to convert them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tested it, looks like monsters will not spawn on top of the ceiling bedrock in the nether. This should allow people to make very easy fast travel rail systems, since you won't have to enclose them to protect from Ghasts, wandering zombie pigmen, etc.

Also, the pool table flat surface of the neither ceiling makes routing super easy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
But... doesn't that first necessitate a way to get through the bedrock? Seems like it would be a big obstacle for people not playing on Creative mode.

Snarls Barkley
Feb 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone have any good seed names that put you next to villages?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vib Rib posted:

But... doesn't that first necessitate a way to get through the bedrock? Seems like it would be a big obstacle for people not playing on Creative mode.

I'm assuming it's just like the regular world's bedrock in that you can occasionally just find holes that open up to the void. Only in this case you can hop up top, since you aren't falling into nothingness.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Can I take my SMP world off my server, install it on my machine in a SSP world slot, have my client convert it to a 1.2 world, and then reupload?

Would that leave everything intact? And then I can go and walk out into new chunks to try and find a jungle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The official trailer for 1.2 is actually really really cool:

It even manages to make the golems not look too silly (in my opinion).