Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Kirk posted:

I was out buying an SD Card for the Xoom today, and I got to play with a Transformer Prime at the store. There were actually two, but one couldn't turn on. The other one was AMAZING. Holy poo poo that thing is fast, and I thought the Xoom was smooth with ICS. I was extremely tempted to buy it right then and there, but I'm holding out for the Transformer Infinity... which has no release date announced.

drat you Asus.

I am literally not sure what to make of this.

But I do have to say that I agree with that sentiment, the Transformer with ICS on it is really sweet and I'm loving mine, but the Prime that I toyed with at best buy with ICS was just nicer. I can't really pin point what it is, but it just felt more fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have no problems with mine, other than the Asus weather widget not updating every hour, like I set it to. Also, getting a 10% battery per every hour of use ratio, WiFi and synch on, brightness set to 1/2 of the bar, without the dock, which I guess it's nice. Video playing feels good, though I hate it when I transfer a movie and it can't render it on H/W mode.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The iPad3 is already confirmed to have a 2048x1536 screen. The 16:10 aspect ratio is more of an Android thing, anyway. Where are you reading about 2560x1600 panels?
I think that's referring to the bullshit BGR rumor from back in December.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rastor posted:

Is BGR ever right about anything?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is BGR ever right about anything?
Nope.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Excuse me, they accurately predicted a new iPad coming out this year. :rolleye:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Just got an email from SquareTrade telling me that they'll be unable to repair my Prime and are just refunding my money for it instead. I pretty much expected this, which is why I bought the second one. Of course this means I won't have a cheap tablet to sell on SA Mart, but I'm okay with that too.

SquareTrade was awesome. If you want an accidental damage warranty I highly recommend it. Their support was great, they handled all the shipping costs including sending me a box with enough padding for safe shipment of the tablet. The entire claim process took about 2 weeks from the point I filed to the point I heard back about the repair status. I should be getting a check in 2-3 days.

The whole thing was much easier than any of the other accidental damage warranties I've ever bought.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rastor posted:

I really hope Samsung isn't banking on the lackluster tablets they've shown so far this year competing with the iPad on any level. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of people itching to get their paws on a thicker heavier version of the original Galaxy Tab 10.1....wait.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

I really hope Samsung isn't banking on the lackluster tablets they've shown so far this year competing with the iPad on any level. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of people itching to get their paws on a thicker heavier version of the original Galaxy Tab 10.1....wait.

I think at this point Android tablets in general need to step it the gently caress up. Cut the cheap hardware, shaky software etc and actually try and compete with the iPad.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Codiusprime posted:

But... but it comes with a stylus. Serious question, what are the differences between the Tab 10.1, Tab 2 10.1, and Note 10.1? Writing/using the stylus on the Note is better, right? Is that software or actually different screen? Anything else? Was the Tab 2 10.1 getting expandable storage?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I have a tab 10.1 from work and would very much like the 10.1 Note upgrade.

That's really only because I didn't have to purchase the current tablet I'm using.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

But... but it comes with a stylus. Serious question, what are the differences between the Tab 10.1, Tab 2 10.1, and Note 10.1? Writing/using the stylus on the Note is better, right? Is that software or actually different screen? Anything else? Was the Tab 2 10.1 getting expandable storage?

The only difference I can see between this years Tab 10.1 and last years is that this years has an Exynos (only in some variations I'm sure) and ICS where as the original Tab 10.1 came with the Tegra 2 and HC. The new one is also thicker and heavier.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think at this point Android tablets in general need to step it the gently caress up. Cut the cheap hardware, shaky software etc and actually try and compete with the iPad.

This won't happen as long as people consider the iPad overpriced.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the new Tab 2 has the Exynos. Honestly though, that's a pretty significant upgrade over the Tegra 2.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think that's going to happen for a while (if ever). They seem to be more interested in flooding the market with a dozen different variants of the same product.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The problem with android tablets and price isn't the quality. Its simply that they arn't ipads. People go to the store and they can either afford an ipad, or they can afford something else.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the new Tab 2 has the Exynos. Honestly though, that's a pretty significant upgrade over the Tegra 2.

Not if your name is Joe Consumer and you're looking at it next to the iPad 3.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

golgo13sf posted:

I don't think most people think they are, though. People will happily pay $100-200 more because they know it's not some fly-by-night tablet.

I mean really, you think people actually want to buy a tablet made by Acer (for example)? Sure people on forums like these might, but as you can see from Android tablet sales that really doesn't mean poo poo.

I guess basically what I'm trying to say is Android Tablets need a big item/event like Android phones needed the OG Moto Droid.

Don Lapre posted:

The problem with android tablets and price isn't the quality. Its simply that they arn't ipads. People go to the store and they can either afford an ipad, or they can afford something else.

The perception that Android tablets are cheap is certainly out there though. Android phones had the same problem until Moto/google stepped up with the OG Droid.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 1, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think most people think they are, though. People will happily pay $100-200 more because they know it's not some fly-by-night tablet.

I mean really, you think people actually want to buy a tablet made by Acer (for example)? Sure people on forums like these might, but as you can see from Android tablet sales that really doesn't mean poo poo.

I guess basically what I'm trying to say is Android Tablets need a big item/event like Android phones needed the OG Moto Droid.

The perception that Android tablets are cheap is certainly out there though. Android phones had the same problem until Moto/google stepped up with the OG Droid.

The average person has no perception about android tablets being cheap or anything, all they know is its not an ipad.

Its basically the iphone vs evo4g conversation.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Android needs to stop stuttering. My iPod touch 3 doesn't stutter on ios 5, but my transformer stuttered for the day I had it, my mums sg2 stutters too.

I'll see if ics makes it better when I get my tablet back this afternoon but honestly it's a big turn off. It's probably the reason iPads sell over android tablets

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GreatKesh posted:

Android needs to stop stuttering. My iPod touch 3 doesn't stutter on ios 5, but my transformer stuttered for the day I had it, my mums sg2 stutters too.

I'll see if ics makes it better when I get my tablet back this afternoon but honestly it's a big turn off.

It's funny because every time this comes up in the Android phone thread it causes a huge uproar, but it's true. Why the gently caress did my iPhone 2G back in 2009 run smoother than my friends Galaxy Nexus? :psyduck:

At least the phones are finally getting to the point where they're smooth most of the time, but drat Android Tablets are one choppy experience a lot of the time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

Honestly, who considers the iPad overpriced? Maybe the 64GB 3G model, but the 16 and 32GB WiFi is at a pretty solid price (and I would think those are the two most popular).

And Android tablets are starting to get a name as being not great. Worse than the Evo vs iPhone 4, because in that case the iPhone really wasn't a full option for those wanting Sprint, or those wanting Verizon or TMobile for their respective carriers.

So basically, as much as I like my Transformer, Android tablets right now really are not keeping up for your average person. I'm interested to see what the response is after March 7th.

Google should have just waited, skipped Honeycomb and released ICS. ICS isn't perfect, but its just drastically better. I'm embarrassed on any previous posts where I defended Honeycomb.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Not if your name is Joe Consumer and you're looking at it next to the iPad 3.

I don't know the difference between an Exynos and a Tegra 2 or whatever, because I shouldn't have to.

What I do know is that my Galaxy Tab 10.1 runs crappy on Honeycomb and from my perspective the new model looks like Samsung saying "Oh you want a current OS? Go buy this one instead."

And in light of that, I'll probably just buy an iPad next time around. At least I'm guaranteed two or three years of timely support on it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I don't know the difference between an Exynos and a Tegra 2 or whatever, because I shouldn't have to.

What I do know is that my Galaxy Tab 10.1 runs crappy on Honeycomb and from my perspective the new model looks like Samsung saying "Oh you want a current OS? Go buy this one instead."

Exactly.

It would be one thing if Samsung was in Apple's position, then they could half rear end product updates and expect people to blindly buy them. Thing is they aren't, they can't afford to half rear end it like this.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

GreatKesh posted:

I'll see if ics makes it better when I get my tablet back this afternoon but honestly it's a big turn off. It's probably the reason iPads sell over android tablets

I suppose since google doesn't have any sort of meaningful control over the hardware there's no one to say "don't release that galaxy tab while it still has input lag. It makes us and you look bad."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vaporware posted:

I suppose since google doesn't have any sort of meaningful control over the hardware there's no one to say "don't release that galaxy tab while it still has input lag. It makes us and you look bad."

Input lag is an Android problem - some hardware manufacturers do make it a bit worse but its always there to some extent.

Especially noticeable when trying to input text in the browser.

e. Maybe more of an app question but how the hell to I get into settings on the official Twitter app on my 3.2 A500? Alternatively if that isn't possible what are you people using for Twitter on your tablets? The desktop website is too slow, and the app/mobile website aren't formatted for tablets.

dissss fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 1, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
My friends dad asked me yesterday about tablets because I have owned a couple. He already owned one, the famous Koby Kyros (I think that's the spelling). He turned the device on and then started telling me how much he disliked it and how slow it was to do anything. He wanted to use Maps a lot and wanted to see if I could help him find out how to do that, and also see if there's something else I'd recommend instead of his current tablet.

I told him to test drive some tablets out at different retailers that have them on display, and actually use them like you would use them at home. Try to browse your favorite websites, use the mail application, download an app, and see if it would fit your lifestyle and be user friendly enough. Ask the salespeople questions, etc.

At this point his tablet was finally on and ready to be used. This has been seriously like 5-7 minutes. No one buy this tablet.

At the end, what I'm trying to say is that the constant flooding of tablets all holding the name "Android" much higher than their real names, so everything just becomes an "Android tablet" and the extreme fragmentation of quality between them has been and will continue to lower people's expectations for products coming out.

There's too many. There's also too many bad ones. Waaay more bad ones than good ones, and I know there are good ones out there. There is no help for people getting into tablets for the first time - no one to guide them, no one to show them how to go from a mouse and keyboard interface and move to a 10 inch glass screen with multitouch gestures and all the other conventions that are flipped around? Buying an Android tablet is akin to buying a PC years ago. Way too much focus on what's really not important. This is why Apple is owning poo poo - they have a very welcoming atmosphere where you can come in and buy the best tablet on the market (you know what I mean) for half the price of a laptop and feel comfortable with you purchase because everything you need is in the store.

Personally I think it would have been such healthier competition if Google paired up with a cell phone or just computer manufacturer and built their own ecosystem instead of also giving it out to anyone who wants to install lovely bloat ware and awful, awful phones.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 1, 2012

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Duckman2008 posted:

Google should have just waited, skipped Honeycomb and released ICS. ICS isn't perfect, but its just drastically better. I'm embarrassed on any previous posts where I defended Honeycomb.

On the other hand, they couldn't really sit on the sidelines for all of 2011. They've still managed to sell at least a few million Honeycomb tablets, which pales in comparison to iPad but is still more than zero. If Google hadn't put out Honeycomb, do you think there'd even be that many Android tablets, running Gingerbread?

I do think it was important to get some sort of foothold. Windows 8 will have an even worse problem of being late to the party, but it's Windows and should have more traction. If "real" Android tablets were only now starting to come out, they'd be competing against 60 million iPads rather than the 10 million or whatever were sold through 2010. They really needed to carve out a little chunk of that expanding market early.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

dissss posted:

Input lag is an Android problem - some hardware manufacturers do make it a bit worse but its always there to some extent.

Especially noticeable when trying to input text in the browser.

e. Maybe more of an app question but how the hell to I get into settings on the official Twitter app on my 3.2 A500? Alternatively if that isn't possible what are you people using for Twitter on your tablets? The desktop website is too slow, and the app/mobile website aren't formatted for tablets.

I tried a slew of twitter apps and found Plume to be the most enjoyable one. It had the most minimalist widget available of the ones I tried.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rastor posted:

if you haven't you all should listen to the last verge podcast starting at about 40:00
Not sure why Rastor didn't cross-post this. I found their discussion about Android tablets rather interesting, especially with respect to their thoughts about Windows 8.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I was almost set to buy the 7.0 Plus until I saw the Windows 8 consumer preview video on Engadget last night. Its hard to buy something when a newer version or better product keeps coming out every week.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was almost set to buy the 7.0 Plus until I saw the Windows 8 consumer preview video on Engadget last night. Its hard to buy something when a newer version or better product keeps coming out every week.

Get used to never buying anything. By the time these new MWC tablets come out there will be something else announced or leaked.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Android tablet makers can't make tablets that match the quality of the iPad and sell it for the same price so they cut corners and produce beta products like the Prime.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not sure why Rastor didn't cross-post this. I found their discussion about Android tablets rather interesting, especially with respect to their thoughts about Windows 8.

I agree with their thoughts on Windows 8 tablets. Most manufacturers will shift away from Android and move to Windows 8. You'll probably still be able to buy stuff like Craig and Audiovox tablets at CVS that run Android.

eric fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 1, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

eric posted:

I agree with their thoughts on Windows 8 tablets. Most manufacturers will shift away from Android and move to Windows 8. You'll probably still be able to buy stuff like Craig and Audiovox tablets at CVS that run Android.

Perhaps, but I think its more likely they'll do both.

Especially Samsung.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The big names will sell both until there's a clear winner. Low end turdlets will keep on rocking Android.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The unfortunate thing is the closest there's been to something like this is the Kindle Fire. It's cheap, but it's also very solidly built (the cheapness comes from cut features, not compromised build quality, and I tend to think that's a much more reasonable trade off) and is backed up by a bunch of unique services and a brand that people actually recognize and trust.

The reason this is bad is that it's also pretty much as far as a tablet can get from Android while still being based on Android. It's an Amazon tablet that just happens to be based on Android, not an Android tablet made by Amazon.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Exactly.

It would be one thing if Samsung was in Apple's position, then they could half rear end product updates and expect people to blindly buy them. Thing is they aren't, they can't afford to half rear end it like this.

I wonder though if their cost structure on the devices is such that they can't afford not to half-rear end it. If you buy a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Mark XIV, you're paying for their development costs in getting ICS running on it up front.

But after ignoring the initial R&D and costs for the physical hardware, do they make enough that they can even prioritize any development tasks for updating the OS on it later? Especially when Samsung dumps out dozens of products into the market with different chipsets for different carriers in different countries.

Meanwhile, Apple can afford to do it. And they've clearly made efforts to limit the number of devices they have to worry about later.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Another point is for the average use software updates are scary, especially if they're not done in a simple OTA form.

Its even true with iOS devices, there are a significant number of people still on old versions because they don't know about/can't be bothered/don't want to update.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

eric posted:

Yea, that was very informative. I think the biggest point that they missed is the reason that iOS devices are so smooth is that Apple controls them, so it's much easier to make an app that's going to run well on 2 devices (iPhone and iPad) mean while Android has hundreds of devices with all different kinds of specs, so it's impossible to make something that's going to run perfect on them all, especially when the hardware is lacking on many of them. I think one of the reasons Windows 8 will succeed is they outlined minimal hardware specs for there tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

McLarenF1 posted:

I think the biggest point that they missed is the reason that iOS devices are so smooth is that Apple controls them

I thought that google engineer explained that it was because google doesn't prioritize touch in their operating system.