Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Hempuli posted:

The official trailer for 1.2 is actually really really cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNw2YcAK9Wc

It even manages to make the golems not look too silly (in my opinion).

An excellent trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

A Sassy Dog posted:

I like the prospect of sandstone hieroglyphs. There are certain changes to blocks that used to be mimetic throughout texture packs. Lamps and stone bricks are examples of things we used to replace older blocks with, and now we actually have them in the game properly.

Hopefully the hieroglyphs are implemented eventually. :o

Edit: If anyone wants a seed that spawns you in a jungle, -7513182701230431127.

Also, the new debug overlay tells you the biome type. Fancy. :)

Thanks, I was looking for a jungle. I wish the biomes were bigger and you could choose which biomes you started in and which biomes were included in your world. I bet theres a mod for that but I don't play minecraft much these days and haven't messed with mods in awhile.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Errr. I just put my SMP world in my single player folder and it didn't say "Must be converted" on it. And when I connect to the SMP server it works fine...

So has my server host (Multiplay UK) converted everyone's worlds? Really confused!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Is anyone having weird shading problems since the update?

I guess it's shading; while walking around, blocks get a shade darker, and stay that way permanently. It happens with all blocks, but it's the most common in sand.

See how much more is there after killing the spider?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
That is odd, haven't seen that happen myself, are you in ssp or smp? I know Jeb changed it so that lighting changes are calculated by clients now instead of by the server then having the data sent to the client.

thehustler posted:

Errr. I just put my SMP world in my single player folder and it didn't say "Must be converted" on it. And when I connect to the SMP server it works fine...

So has my server host (Multiplay UK) converted everyone's worlds? Really confused!

Does your server host push patches automatically? You might just want to just give them a call and ask them what is up and if they can assist you with making sure your server is up to date.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Just normal single player.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

criscodisco posted:

I went sailing, and it was all over the ocean, plus, there was a really, really long shaded line, as if there was a line of blocks waaaay up above, but there wasn't. I think it was the cut-off of snapshot-generated chunks, and official 1.2 chunks, since I only saw them when I went exploring today, with 1.2.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Enzer posted:

^^^
That is odd, haven't seen that happen myself, are you in ssp or smp? I know Jeb changed it so that lighting changes are calculated by clients now instead of by the server then having the data sent to the client.

Does your server host push patches automatically? You might just want to just give them a call and ask them what is up and if they can assist you with making sure your server is up to date.

They do updates automatically through the Clanforge system, and today all I had to do to upgrade my server from 1.1 to 1.2 was stop it and then start it again, but I wasn't sure if that amounted to also converting worlds and the like.

The wife and I are going to go for a run and see if we can find some Jungles!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Just built above 128 height... it's worked!

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
So I just loaded a World in 1.2.2 and it crashed and somehow reverted the game world to the distant past when I had done almost nothing.

It kept my inventory, but undid 99% of the stuff I did.

Pretty bummed as my last backup is barely better :(

I recommend backing up saves before loading any in 1.2.2.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Not sure if this has anything to do with the shading, but in the world I was playing on during the last snapshot, I kept encountering areas after nightfall that stayed dark in the day; sometimes with dark shadows along the ground, sometimes looking as bright as it should be during the day. Would even spawn monsters in the area, though putting down a block and breaking it seemed to erase the effect. Hoping it's fixed with the official update.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Enzer posted:

Changing to 1.2 requires generating a new world or using this or this. Note that I have not tested these methods myself so back up your world.

There is no way of using 1.2 without converting because the code now relies on the new Anvil file format, all worlds before 1.2 use MCregion format. You can read about the new file format here.

Note that converting an old map to 1.2 will have issues with biomes since biome data is now stored differently instead of relying on a world generation algorithm (this is so that future changes to world generation code will not cause maps to have their biomes be screwed with). So biomes may be redefined randomly. Jeb has placed code in Anvil to allow 3rd party developers to write a tool that can manually redefine a biome, but I do not believe anyone has that tool yet.

Sorry that this will probably cause you problems, depending on the size of your world you could probably use a tool like mcEdit once it works with the new world structure and copy important structures and cities over to a new map. It is why on WilsonSMP we used an island for our 1.0 world since we knew that we would need something easily transportable since Jeb has been talking about these changes for a while now.

Thanks for the response but you appear to contradict what the Mojang people are saying:

quote:

The next snapshot, and Minecraft 1.2, will automatically convert worlds to the new format. The files of the current format (“McRegion”) will remain in your save folder, if you need to restore them for some reason.

I’ve prepared a converter (with source code) for tool makers that wants to be prepared. You do not need to use this to convert your maps! It’s only for reference!

So according to Mojang it appears that I can update my server to 1.2, restart it, and my map will be converted over. I won't see new biomes until we expand out, but that's ok.

Is that right?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

entris posted:

Thanks for the response but you appear to contradict what the Mojang people are saying:

So according to Mojang it appears that I can update my server to 1.2, restart it, and my map will be converted over. I won't see new biomes until we expand out, but that's ok.

Is that right?

You'll note that the post on Mojang's website does not detail anything but the new Anvil format, not biomes. What that is saying is that 1.1 worlds can be updated from the .mcr format to .mca, nothing more.

This still has the problems of:
1) Converted worlds are not guaranteed to keep their biomes correct as the conversion process has no way of telling what biome was what, so it may snow in the wrong places or forest may look dead because of desert biome data.
2) 1.1 Worlds are flagged to not generate the new jungle biome to prevent "world scarring" (where world generation gets ugly when new chunks meet old). The two links I posted show you how to force the 1.1 world to generate biomes. The reddit post is from Jeb detailing how it is to be done with a warning that it will cause ugliness where new and old chunks meet.

So yes, you can convert your old world over, all you will get though is everything but jungles. This is why I suggested rolling a new 1.2 world and transposing what structures and towns you can over from the 1.1 world.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
A question about the new height limit: does the game's map generation take this into account? Are we finally going to see some really epic procedurally generated mountain ranges?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
No, Jeb did not want to mess around with the world generation in the same patch that introduced the Anvil world format as well as try to make old 1.1 maps as compatible as possible with the new patch. Higher mountains is set to be a "maybe" at this point when he adds more new biomes, which thanks to Anvil, will be seamless as compared to every other patch that did anything to world generation.

VVVV
Exactly, I would rather Jeb get the ground work set up so that future biomes do not gently caress up worlds like they have in the past. That way he can go crazy with new ideas without much worrying. I'm rather excited about the idea of "sub biomes", smaller biomes that are created when two or more biomes connect, like snow biomes next to ocean will generate the sub biome glaciers, etc.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 1, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Enzer posted:

No, Jeb did not want to mess around with the world generation in the same patch that introduced the Anvil world format as well as try to make old 1.1 maps as compatible as possible with the new patch. Higher mountains is set to be a "maybe" at this point when he adds more new biomes, which thanks to Anvil, will be seamless as compared to every other patch that did anything to world generation.

Honestly, it might be better this way since it opens the door for a proper "mountain" biome. Yetis!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Enzer posted:

You'll note that the post on Mojang's website does not detail anything but the new Anvil format, not biomes. What that is saying is that 1.1 worlds can be updated from the .mcr format to .mca, nothing more.

1) Converted worlds are not guaranteed to keep their biomes correct as the conversion process has no way of telling what biome was what, so it may snow in the wrong places or forest may look dead because of desert biome data.
2) 1.1 Worlds are flagged to not generate the new jungle biome to prevent "world scarring" (where world generation gets ugly when new chunks meet old). The two links I posted show you how to force the 1.1 world to generate biomes. The reddit post is from Jeb detailing how it is to be done with a warning that it will cause ugliness where new and old chunks meet.

So yes, you can convert your old world over, all you will get though is everything but jungles. This is why I suggested rolling a new 1.2 world and transposing what structures and towns you can over from the 1.1 world.

Thanks for the clarification, I greatly appreciate it.

To use a tool to copy our structures and towns over, I will need to wait for mods to become compatible with 1.2, correct?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yes, right now MCedit doesn't work since the world format changed block ordering from x/z/y to y/z/x. When it updates that would be your best bet.

It is kind of an awkward situation, especially when you are running a server and you don't want to just destroy everyone's work for the past few months. The changes in this patch should make it so that this situation wont happen again.

Another solution you could try is to use Worldguard to put up a boundary around your 1.1 world so that it cannot be expanded any further and then use a bukkit mod that allows for multiple maps (multiworld comes to mind) and have a portal room (or dress it up as a boat or plane) that takes you to a 1.2 map. Gives your players a whole new map to play with while being able to visit your old world.

If you do this, you may want to check with your server provider because this will use more resources.

VVVV
I think he deleted that part of his post after the huge amount of negative feedback. Forget who it was, but someone pointed out you could decompile his code using python. I would not be surprised if we see someone just make a new MCedit replacement, the mod is too useful, especially for the SMP community. I mean, Chikenbones made NEI when TMI became total rear end. :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 1, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Enzer posted:

Yes, right now MCedit doesn't work since the world format changed block ordering from x/z/y to y/z/x. When it updates that would be your best bet.

It is kind of an awkward situation, especially when you are running a server and you don't want to just destroy everyone's work for the past few months. The changes in this patch should make it so that this situation wont happen again.

Is the MCEdit guy still putting the project up for ransom at $10k?

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I just noticed this in 1.2:

Abandoned mine shaft floors are made of wood over gaps like ravines. This is definitely an understated update!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Enzer posted:

I'm fairly certain biome data gets converted correctly. It's not like the lost the biome algorithm between 1.1 and 1.2, they can just do the same math they've always done on the x/z coordinates and then save that in the newly introduced biome metadata.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Captain Zeroth posted:

I just noticed this in 1.2:

Abandoned mine shaft floors are made of wood over gaps like ravines. This is definitely an understated update!

Call me weird, but I think I prefer the old-style "ghost arches" that you used to get when ravine met abandoned mine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

redmercer posted:

Call me weird, but I think I prefer the old-style "ghost arches" that you used to get when ravine met abandoned mine.

It depends on your perception of when the mines were created. Apparently, Jeb wants the timeline to show that the ravines were there before the miners rather than the miners being forced out by the creation of the ravine (which actually makes sense considering the durability of wood vs. stone, etc).

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm fairly certain biome data gets converted correctly. It's not like the lost the biome algorithm between 1.1 and 1.2, they can just do the same math they've always done on the x/z coordinates and then save that in the newly introduced biome metadata.

Haven't seen any real evidence to support this and I can't find the post Jeb made on twitter, but going back to Jeb's explanation on Anvil "Each chunk has a 16×16 byte array with biome ids called “Biomes”. If this array is missing it will be filled when the game starts. The converter doesn’t include any biome sources, though (it had too many dependencies to be included)."

1.2's anvil system does not use the algorithm that 1.1 used so I really do not see where it could pull the biome data from.

This is also been why every patch in the past that did anything with world generation caused new chunks to be horribly misaligned because the way the algorithm is calculated gets screwed up.

You would think it would be a simple solution, but the MCregion file format was just so horribly written, that is why we have Anvil in place now.

Then again, one way to test this is simply convert a map over from 1.1 to 1.2 then use F3's fancy new function of telling you what biome you are in to see if things are messed up. Jeb himself was really unsure about biome transfer so he just put out a blanket warning of expecting weird weather.

Edit:

Never mind, found it

jeb_

Biome data will be saved with the chunks in the new world format. Tool makers can probably use this to restore old maps.

Posted on the 12th, think that is pretty good indication that Jeb is implying that old worlds will have be fixed by a tool provided by someone else, he also outlined elsewhere that he made that bit open and documented how to access it for that exact purpose.

Nodnarb
Feb 28, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Enzer posted:

Then again, one way to test this is simply convert a map over from 1.1 to 1.2 then use F3's fancy new function of telling you what biome you are in to see if things are messed up. Jeb himself was really unsure about biome transfer so he just put out a blanket warning of expecting weird weather.

I converted my 1.1 world which was predominantly centered on a swamp biome (which is intact), but had weird patches of river biome where I built my sheep pens (which was also intact), so the conversion clearly didn't lose the biome there.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Cool, then Jeb must have figured out how to get it to copy the data and be a huge goober and not actually update his own comments that it wouldn't do just that. Oh Jeb.

VVV
I wasn't bitching? Would be nice to know that it was done instead of having to go off of outdated information though. :)

Enzer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 1, 2012

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Enzer posted:

Cool, then Jeb must have figured out how to get it to copy the data and be a huge goober and not actually update his own comments that it wouldn't do just that. Oh Jeb.

Who cares? He managed to do it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nodnarb posted:

Oh my God he's the Mirror Mirror version of Jason Alexander

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Something must be corrupted in my castle because I have it (imported as a schematic) on multiple converted worlds.

No mods, and every time I move into the castle area I get the same "saving chunks" and black screen crash.

It was fine pre-conversion. I hope whoever is working on MCEdit has it compatible with Anvil soon.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

Is the MCEdit guy still putting the project up for ransom at $10k?

From what I can tell from the McEdit thread on the minecraft forums, it's open source right now.

https://github.com/mcedit/mcedit

Also, in the last few pages of the thread, one guy has released a "stable" version.

edit: no idea how things went with the 10k though.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
:stare: Is anyone else running into zombies that don't die in sunlight in their villages?

They only take one hit to die, but they're still there terrorizing my villagers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish evil mobs would go after peaceful mobs.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
Anyone else's trees shedding their leaves? I built a house on top of a tree in a jungle and when I got back a day later a bunch of the leaves had disappeared. A quick peek around the rest of the jungle shows that its happening all over.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

KrautHedge posted:

Anyone else's trees shedding their leaves? I built a house on top of a tree in a jungle and when I got back a day later a bunch of the leaves had disappeared. A quick peek around the rest of the jungle shows that its happening all over.

You brought industry to the land and nature is dying you monster.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wish evil mobs would go after peaceful mobs.

Noooooooooooooooo way unless creepers were nerfed to not destroy blocks (do this anyway thanks)

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So, it seems like Notch got 3 million in dividends for his 2011 tax year.

And gave it all to his employees.

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/statuses/175174949277941760

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zaa Boogie posted:

So, it seems like Notch got 3 million in dividends for his 2011 tax year.

And gave it all to his employees.

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/statuses/175174949277941760

Divided by the approximate 25 employees listed on their website, that is a bonus of $120,000 dollars. I assume some, if not most, of the employees don't even make that in a year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We did the old "set terrain gen to 1 using NBTedit" trick when upgrading our old map from 1.7 to 1.8 beta terrain gen, which seems to have carried over to the 1.2 terrain gen.

Dug out to -4700, -4700 using the nether fast travel to generate some new terrain, there's a big giant jungle about 800 blocks from there. In the other direction is some pretty impressive 1.7 style mountain range terrain that plunges in to the ocean, forming one side of a giant bay.

World seed was generated from a beta 1.0 version and has been persistent for about 15 months now, everything works great :thumbsup:

Now we just need to connect the existing subway system to the new part of the map...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Does having dividends mean Mojang is publically traded? That contradicts basically everything I would expect about Notch.