Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Might give Peter Peter Serafinowicz's radio show another go, this week he's got Matt Berry, The Actor Kevin Eldon and Terence Stamp on.

Edit: Trailers for ads? Full page ads for a an ad inside the product that the ad is advertising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: Trailers for ads? Full page ads for a an ad inside the product that the ad is advertising?

I blame Chris Nolan.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Jesus, I knew The Guardian were self important, but that's ridiculous. A trailer and several full page ads for a loving Tv spot?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Yeah, the same paper that constantly whinged about the Xmas ads (such as the John Lewis one) being turned into 'events'.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

netally posted:

Yeah, the same paper that constantly whinged about the Xmas ads (such as the John Lewis one) being turned into 'events'.

that was only Charlie Brooker wasn't it? I wouldn't say his column should be held up as representative of the entire paper

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I seem to remember quite a few articles moaning about it. Anyway, I guess they're getting a bit desperate, since the Guardian loses something like £10k a day and is kinda hosed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

netally posted:

I seem to remember quite a few articles moaning about it. Anyway, I guess they're getting a bit desperate, since the Guardian loses something like £10k a day and is kinda hosed.

The mini-ads in the paper today were pretty clever, showing the Three Little Pigs story on all the different apps, in obituaries and corrections. If they'd left it at that it would have been cool, but then they shoved in a stupidly pompous double page and....urggggh. It's so self-congratulatory.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh hey, White Van Mans second series is on iPlayer. Nobody said anything about it airing recently.

Also, when is Brookers Touching Cloth going to happen?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr
No you have it all wrong, the 3 little pigs is the new Go Compare advert.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
God, David Starkey is a horrible person and a real-life troll on Any Questions. Its compulsive viewing, but for all the wrong reasons.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Stumiester posted:

God, David Starkey is a horrible person and a real-life troll on Any Questions. Its compulsive viewing, but for all the wrong reasons.

"People don't want to be liberated"

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Anybody been watching the Indian Doctor this week? Some good fun nothingness and nice to have something different in the telly for the unemployed slots. Also Mark Heap.

I vaguely remember enjoying the first series too, but had completely forgotten about it before this series started.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I've caught up with the second ep. of Homeland and I've got to say, it's pretty gripping. Much less military fetish wankery and much more moral ambiguity than I'd have expected.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Daktar posted:

I've caught up with the second ep. of Homeland and I've got to say, it's pretty gripping. Much less military fetish wankery and much more moral ambiguity than I'd have expected.
Just finished the whole first series and its good. I find the main character the blonde women a bit annoying, pulls to many gurning faces too often, but she does get more interesting later when you realise that she is mental (for the lack of a better word) :)

Worth watching, recommended.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
It really gets going after they go to the cabin. Really enjoyed it throughout. If you sat down, you could pick holes in it, but it's too much fun to do that.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I'm quite surprised that Pointless Celebrities actually had some real famous people rather than the usual z-listers that usually go on celebrity editions.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Muppetjedi posted:

I'm quite surprised that Pointless Celebrities actually had Brian Blessed and Bill Oddie as well as the usual z-listers that usually go on celebrity editions.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Brian Blessed was definitely on form though, made up for the Zs.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

NaDy posted:

Brian Blessed was definitely on form though, made up for the Zs.

He was so drat excited about getting the coveted Pointless trophy.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I dreamt last night that I opened my wallet and there were Bank of England £20 notes and Brian Blessed was on the back of them. I was really sad to wake up. I thought this would be the best place to share that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sex pervert posted:

I dreamt last night that I opened my wallet and there were Bank of England £20 notes and Brian Blessed was on the back of them. I was really sad to wake up. I thought this would be the best place to share that.

I opt we remove the Queen, I'm sure she wouldn't mind. Brian needs to be on our bank notes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I opt we remove the Queen, I'm sure she wouldn't mind. Brian needs to be on our bank notes.

I'm not much of a royalist, but forced abdication seems a little extreme.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm not much of a royalist, but forced abdication seems a little extreme.

Lets be honest on this, King Brian Blessed. What can go wrong?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Well, since he would be king, he could be "King Brian The Blessed".

Also, on every banknote with his face, underneath the quote should be "GORDON'S ALIVEEE!"

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The King's Speech would certainly be a very different film.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
International diplomacy would probably be more entertaining too.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
He won't have time to be King, he's going to be too busy orbiting the loving planet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gram-O-Phone posted:

He won't have time to be King, he's going to be too busy orbiting the loving planet.

Space Emperor Brian Blessed.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Gram-O-Phone posted:

This is a joke, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's a 70-odd year old man who's climbed Everest against doctors' recommendations and thrived. He's going to be space pope.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

goatface posted:

He's a 70-odd year old man who's climbed Everest against doctors' recommendations and thrived. He's going to be space pope.

Space pope is boring, he needs a planet to rule over. He should be King of Mars, gonna build some cities of gold on it, maybe breed a legion of winged Amazonians to attack Earth with or something.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gram-O-Phone posted:

In Space, no one can hear you scream.

"CHALLENGE BLOODY ACCEPTED YOU NASA BOFFINS!"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There was a question set on University Challenge based on Wikipedia edit-wars.
Also Manchester is stomping Worcester College Oxford 105-0 :cool:
e: 115-0
e: 240-65. For a while it looked like it was going to be a total shut-out.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 5, 2012

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Gonzo McFee posted:

In Space, no one can hear you scream.

"CHALLENGE BLOODY ACCEPTED YOU NASA BOFFINS!"

Every single operator of a radio telescope goes deaf at the same instant.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Can't work out if Dirk Gently is great or shite. Still, it's the closest thing to Green Wing that we'll ever see again...

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
Why would anyone think this week's Skins would be a good idea? :stare:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Judoon Platoon posted:

What's happened?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Judoon Platoon posted:

why would anyone think the last 4 series of Skins would be a good idea

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?

Squalitude posted:

Can't work out if Dirk Gently is great or shite. Still, it's the closest thing to Green Wing that we'll ever see again...

I wasn't sure at first, but when the episode ended I realised I'd actually really enjoyed it once I'd warmed to it. I've not actually read the books, so I don't know how that'd colour my opinion if I had. Will watch the next two parts, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The only good series of Skins was the first. The rest is awful and has become very formulaic. "Well it's the second series of this generation, which one are we giving a mental illness this time?"