Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Metanaut posted:

Is Sleep always this expensive? The tickets are 35 euros here, which is a lot compared to usual prices.
You realize that Sleep had not been playing together as a band for many years, right? They basically reunited as a super-group now that Om and High on Fire are gaining popularity. I think they didn't intend to tour again as Sleep, but they did that ATP show and people loved it, so they toured on Holy Mountain again.

Anyway, I paid probably almost 50 to see them in San Francisco, and it was super loving worth it. Matt Pike is always insane live, and it was great to hear Holy Mountain all the way through, though the Dopesmoker excerpts was really why I went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm really digging Pallbearer thanks for the recommendations!

It's pretty rad.

On a coincidental note, this dumb poo poo redditor thinks I'm a member of Pallbearer.

This is the last time I cross post reviews on that poo poo hole.

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
This early Japanese stoner rock will blow your mind, this is awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMacsZO_08&feature=related

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

West posted:

It's pretty rad.

On a coincidental note, this dumb poo poo redditor thinks I'm a member of Pallbearer.

This is the last time I cross post reviews on that poo poo hole.
That's a shame. I used to enjoy posting songs to the stonerrock subreddit, nothing but cool dudes there from my experience. There's a sludge subreddit now too.

Been pretty quiet over here in Bristol, but Orange Goblin are playing with Church of Misery, Dopefight and Slabdragger the day before we leave to the Netherlands - and we're planning on going to another gig in Tilburg the day before Roadburn starts, then there's Roadburn itself of course, plus the Afterburner. So... :stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Poohat666 posted:

This rules a lot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Poohat666 posted:

This is sweet as hell, played it in my class earlier and got a lot of people crowding around.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My band Fire in the Cave just released our debut self-titled EP. It's set for a "Name Your Price" download on our Bandcamp page.

Soak up the swamp.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Holy poo poo, life-changing thread. As a dude with a pretty deep love of a vast number of different musical styles I always felt kind of ashamed of my opinion that metal basically started great and got progressively worse from the 70s on. I never liked the really fast really heavy stuff or the wanky theatrical stuff much, and screamy vocals make me cringe; that poo poo is awful. I think the most recent metal album I liked enough to bother hanging on to was Rust in Peace by Megadeth

Anyway recently I stumbled across this http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13120-earth-angels-of-darkness-demons-of-light-ii/ and goddamn how was I not aware this genre existed until now? This is seriously the best! People have been making awesome metal all this time it's just that nobody bothered to tell me. So I am gonna check out a lot of the stuff in this thread, thanks for posting it all. Or if you wanna recommend what to listen to first, go ahead, I'm all about the chill stuff and the bluesy stuff

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

seiken posted:

Holy poo poo, life-changing thread. As a dude with a pretty deep love of a vast number of different musical styles I always felt kind of ashamed of my opinion that metal basically started great and got progressively worse from the 70s on. I never liked the really fast really heavy stuff or the wanky theatrical stuff much, and screamy vocals make me cringe; that poo poo is awful. I think the most recent metal album I liked enough to bother hanging on to was Rust in Peace by Megadeth

Anyway recently I stumbled across this http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13120-earth-angels-of-darkness-demons-of-light-ii/ and goddamn how was I not aware this genre existed until now? This is seriously the best! People have been making awesome metal all this time it's just that nobody bothered to tell me. So I am gonna check out a lot of the stuff in this thread, thanks for posting it all. Or if you wanna recommend what to listen to first, go ahead, I'm all about the chill stuff and the bluesy stuff

Based purely on your post, I'll go out on a limb and say I think you would like Graveyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXChfKnh3I

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Incredible yes! Thank you! drat I feel like a massive music snobbery idiot just assuming nobody made stuff like this any more

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Also check out Dead Meadow, Witchcraft, and Earthless if that was up your alley.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Just bought tickets for Orange Goblin in Swansea next month. I missed my chance to see them when they played Cardiff uni's student union years ago so I'm not passing it up again, especially since Eulogy for the Damned is the best thing they've done since Big Black.

I really miss their Frequencies/Time Travelling Blues sound though.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

seiken posted:

This post is awesome!

I know so many people that say "there's poo poo music to listen to anymore, blah, blah, blah," but yet when I tell people there's so much out there that's great, but just has to be found or re-discovered, they don't want to hear it or they tell me my tastes suck. Really they just don't want to put the time info finding what I'm trying to explain to them. Their loss.

So, yeah, I enjoyed reading someone talking about "re-discovering" they're love for rock 'n roll again.

As a suggestion -- which I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for – a band I discovered right here in this very thread: Year Long Disaster. I've been listening to them for two weeks straight now and still haven't gotten tired of them.

Have fun finding new stuff and welcome back to rock 'n roll!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crackerman posted:

Just bought tickets for Orange Goblin in Swansea next month.

Any idea how Orange Goblin are live?
I might go see Earth again next week. I'm sure it'll be the exact same as when I saw them in the same venue last year but...Earth.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I know so many people that say "there's poo poo music to listen to anymore, blah, blah, blah," but yet when I tell people there's so much out there that's great, but just has to be found or re-discovered, they don't want to hear it or they tell me my tastes suck. Really they just don't want to put the time info finding what I'm trying to explain to them. Their loss.

So, yeah, I enjoyed reading someone talking about "re-discovering" they're love for rock 'n roll again.

Gah! All this time I just needed to know that what I was looking for was called stoner or doom or whatever. I guess it's mostly my fault for assuming those prefixes would just be the same thing as the death or black or whatever varieties. But I blame my metal-loving friends too cause I've been all like "damnit, where is the metal that sounds like early Black Sabbath?" to them before and that seems to be basically the definition of this stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

seiken posted:

I've been all like "damnit, where is the metal that sounds like early Black Sabbath?" to them before and that seems to be basically the definition of this stuff.

Listen to Sleep's Holy Mountain and be prepared to lose your poo poo.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

seiken posted:

Gah! All this time I just needed to know that what I was looking for was called stoner or doom or whatever. I guess it's mostly my fault for assuming those prefixes would just be the same thing as the death or black or whatever varieties. But I blame my metal-loving friends too cause I've been all like "damnit, where is the metal that sounds like early Black Sabbath?" to them before and that seems to be basically the definition of this stuff.

The same thing happened to me about a year ago. I had been a heavy/fast/slow/loud/metal fan who had kind of given up on finding anything new that really moved me. I had listened to bands like Sleep, Electric Wizard and Weedeater but I had no idea that there was such a substantial genre to explore until I happened across this thread. There is tons of good poo poo. A lot of it absolutely crushing, I had no idea. I didn't know how to use the words "doom", "stoner" or "sludge" to find good stuff because I didn't know there was good stuff to find. Now I know. Thanks slow music thread dudes!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

seiken posted:

Yeah, if I had to depend on my friends to suggest new music that I might like, I'd be hosed. This thread has been so helpful by having so many recommendations from folks looking, or playing, the same type of music. It's been a lot better research tool than surfing YouTube, LastFM, or Amazon for hours only to find nothing.

Since you mention Black Sabbath, I'll suggest sHEAVY's Electric Sleep for you. You can pretty much take it from there.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Since you mention Black Sabbath, I'll suggest sHEAVY's Electric Sleep for you. You can pretty much take it from there.

Holy gently caress. I've been listening to stoner and doom for a long rear end time now and just now heard this band. I can't believe I've never heard of them before.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The same thing happened to me about a year ago. I had been a heavy/fast/slow/loud/metal fan who had kind of given up on finding anything new that really moved me. I had listened to bands like Sleep, Electric Wizard and Weedeater but I had no idea that there was such a substantial genre to explore until I happened across this thread. There is tons of good poo poo. A lot of it absolutely crushing, I had no idea. I didn't know how to use the words "doom", "stoner" or "sludge" to find good stuff because I didn't know there was good stuff to find. Now I know. Thanks slow music thread dudes!

Count me in for another lucky one to find his love for music again thanks to this thread. :unsmith:

One buddy introduced me to stoner stuff years ago, but when I lost contact with him, I kind of slumped into listening to only few bands and of course that gets boring in the long run. Only being aware of the stuff in the mainstream made me declare creativity and good music dead, but somehow I stumbled upon this thread and realised there isn't a lack of good music, there's almost too much of it. I keep finding all sorts of cool bands and I actually have trouble finding the time to listen to all the albums I just HAVE to get.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

seiken posted:

Anyway recently I stumbled across this...
You're welcome, hahaha. I got to see Earth last Summer for the first time ever and it was pretty life altering. Also got to chat up and hang out with Dylan Carson for a bit. One of those moments where you're playing it cool but on the inside you feel like a 13 year old girl getting to meet Justin Bieber.

I'm not big on Orange Goblin and I've tried really hard to like those guys. But, check Eagle Twin out. They're pretty fantastic. IMO what Shrinebuilder should have sounded like. You know you're going to be in for a ride when the opening track features Mongolian throat chanting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL2Z_baXaoY

Also, not sure if it was mentioned but Om. I really only like the album Variations on a Theme but you might like their others. Sleep was already mentioned but when that band broke up it split into two factions that are both really good. Al Cisneros/Chris Hakius and Om. Matt Pike and High on Fire. They each have completely different approaches. Om expands more on what was going on with later Sleep material and HoF is more sludge/thrash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4iuNP9wF3w

This HoF song takes me from 0 to 11 every time I hear it. It just makes me want to throw cars over mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h-X-tZa_w

Hogscraper fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 1, 2012

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Dude, Orange Goblin do Sabbath better than anyone! This cover of Hand of Doom is seriously one of my favorites, I probably listen to it more than the original now. The funky drums and bass pocket are out of control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDeJV9g0N5g

Edit: also, I think I'm in the minority, but my favorite Om album is the last one, where Hakius left and Steve Albini produced it. God Is Good. It's got a little more technical drumming, but I think the overall build and sound is "there" in a way that it wasn't on the previous albums. Either way they are super loving killer live, so go see them (and any Sleep related project) every time

reichsten fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 1, 2012

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Cathedral were so drat heavy last night, that guitar sound is amazing live. They played their "last headline show ever" in Melbourne last night.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
@JonnyMondo I haven't listened to the record they did with Albini yet. I'm definitely slacking. There is soooooo much music to check out these days it's unreal. I'll put it on the fast track to the top of my listen list.

My problem with Orange Goblin is that a lot of the riffing is just generic pentatonic guitar stuff. It sounds like dad rock to me. Which I know, I know, Stoner Rock is always straddling that line anyway. But I just want to hear something unique and I don't hear that in OG. I'm down with someone being heavily influenced by another band like Black Sabbath and taking it to a different place but if all you're going to do is rehash all the same old tricks I'd rather just pop on Paranoid and call it a day.

I'll admit, too, that I'm partial to Southern influences over British in metal which is why I like bands like Crowbar, Eagle Twin, and DOWN so much. Change that to Southwest influence like Earth's last couple of albums and I'm in guitar heaven.

Hogscraper fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 1, 2012

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Found about this sweet band from Ottawa yesterday called BIIGPIIGWAN.

Dig on it.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

West posted:

My band Fire in the Cave just released our debut self-titled EP. It's set for a "Name Your Price" download on our Bandcamp page.

Soak up the swamp.

Just wanted to let you know I heard your band on the Swamp Abyss Sorcery compilation album (the song was Civilized Swamp). You guys are sick, love it so much. The vocalist sounds so badass.

I bought your EP, tossed you a fiver from one Floridian to another. Can't wait to hear a full length.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

http://youtu.be/DX4yy3TwdvM

So yeah the new High on Fire's gonna be grand.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Sirius Sam posted:

Holy gently caress. I've been listening to stoner and doom for a long rear end time now and just now heard this band. I can't believe I've never heard of them before.

Actually, go here: http://www.sheavy.com/albums.html - you can download all of their albums.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

nosophoros posted:

http://youtu.be/DX4yy3TwdvM

So yeah the new High on Fire's gonna be grand.

After hearing Matt's concept behind this album I can't wait to hear the whole thing. Basically Jesus had a twin who gave up his life so Jesus could be born, when the twin died he became a time traveler. wow.

I wasn't too fond of Snakes for the Divine, but this one sounds less generic and heavier. Can't wait!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

im_sorry posted:

Actually, go here: http://www.sheavy.com/albums.html - you can download all of their albums.

Daa! I should have posted that link. I used it myself to get some of their music.

Thanks.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Matt Pike :allears:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations on bands similiar to Baroness? I really like how they go between furious noise and just jamming with southern rock stylings.

I've already been listening to a lot of Sleep/Isis/Electric Wizard, but I guess I'm looking for something that's a little more dynamic instead of a wall of noise. Isis nails the southern rock vibe though.

Atlas Moth might fit the bill.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

Basically Jesus had a twin who gave up his life so Jesus could be born, when the twin died he became a time traveler.

That's some Mastodon stuff right there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New HoF owns.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

seiken posted:

Incredible yes! Thank you! drat I feel like a massive music snobbery idiot just assuming nobody made stuff like this any more

Chiming in with the "neo 70s hard rock (or whatever you should call it) rocks" crowd. I posted this a couple of pages back, but the Swedes seem to be on top of their game when it comes to producing the sweet sounds of yesteryear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fELhPgQgDVY

Saw them live at a lovely pub (99% of customers were shitfaced middle-aged people looking for a random shag), but they rocked out great anyway!

Wolf People is another favorite of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LERQdakduxQ

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats was probably mentioned already on last page, but they deserve to be brought up again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsLCIH_HEfE

sHeavy sounds awesome, got to check them out! Although I got to say I wish there was at least a tiny bit more innovation in the stoner subgenres in general since carbon copying the exact same pentatonic riffs, big muff tones etc. gets really boring when you can't really even tell between the bands.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
So, no one has said anything about THIS yet so... yeah... NEW MELVINS. TWO NEW MELVINS RELEASES. AND A TOUR.

I've already got my ticket to seem them in Nashville. So drat excited.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Matt Pike rules and so does this song.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

So, no one has said anything about THIS yet so... yeah... NEW MELVINS. TWO NEW MELVINS RELEASES. AND A TOUR.

I've already got my ticket to seem them in Nashville. So drat excited.

Yeah I'm catching them down in NOLA on 4/21, can't wait.

Also echoing the HOF love. I thought Snakes wasn't really as good as their previous stuff despite my soft spot for Frost Hammer, but this album sounds like it's going to be great. I can't wait to destroy my roommate's speakers with Serums of Liao.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any idea how Orange Goblin are live?

No idea. A Youtube search would suggest they're reasonably good but nothing amazing, but it just seemed like a fun gig and it's cheap.

Hogscraper posted:

My problem with Orange Goblin is that a lot of the riffing is just generic pentatonic guitar stuff. It sounds like dad rock to me. Which I know, I know, Stoner Rock is always straddling that line anyway. But I just want to hear something unique and I don't hear that in OG. I'm down with someone being heavily influenced by another band like Black Sabbath and taking it to a different place but if all you're going to do is rehash all the same old tricks I'd rather just pop on Paranoid and call it a day.

I know what you mean, especially from Big Black on. I like Frequencies and Time Travelling Blues because there's a little psychedelic streak in them that they really lost later where they moved away from being a "stoner rock" band to just straight up heavy metal with nothing to make them stand out. Ward's voice can be really grating as well because it's totally flat and a lot of the time it sounds like he's making GBS threads himself.

The new album is a little bit fresher, but it's all sort of background music rather than something you actually listen to or get involved with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Crackerman posted:

The new album is a little bit fresher, but it's all sort of background music rather than something you actually listen to or get involved with.
You're right, it was a great choice when I decided to clean up my place a few days ago.

Really enjoying the new Earth album too, I wasn't entirely convinced at first but now I'm really loving it. Only problem is that it's over so soon.