Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Crayvex posted:

How does he work the throttle when he grabs that other rider? Oh right... It was a motorcycle video game and it was destined to suck.

http://throttlemeister.com/

MetaJew posted:

Today's your lucky day!
HD Hero on sale for $160 with free shipping.
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/288521

I'm debating buying this, or just hold out and buy the HD Hero2 when the price goes down. I borrowed a friend's Hero a few weeks ago for a ski trip and had a lot of fun with it, but the improvements to the new model sound very nice.

Am I missing something? I can get this cheaper from the Honda dealer (after my 20% discount)

Edit: GODDAMNHIPSTERS!!!! :argh:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Am I missing something? I can get this cheaper from the Honda dealer (after my 20% discount)

No everyone has access to that? Hero motor packages are usually around 200 or so online. I just bought one, cheers for that. I had recently got excited when I saw that 960s were supposed to retail around 150 and was sad to find there aren't any in stock, anywhere. To get a Hero HD for 160 is pretty sweet. Even if I decide this was a mistake I should be able to sell it for a case of beer more than I paid for it.

More likely tho is that it becomes the "group gopro" for myself and my friends until it breaks. Thanks for the link MetaJew.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 1, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I think that bike looks kinda cool, what am I missing?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Crayvex posted:

How does he work the throttle when he grabs that other rider? Oh right... It was a motorcycle video game and it was destined to suck.

Just curious because I have thought about it myself before, and would like to try to include motorcycles in some future video game project.

Have you seen any motorcycle games that do it right or had game mechanics that you thought were well done? What do you think are the most important parts of the motorcycle experience for a video game to focus on or get right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nsaP posted:

No everyone has access to that? Hero motor packages are usually around 200 or so online. I just bought one, cheers for that. I had recently got excited when I saw that 960s were supposed to retail around 150 and was sad to find there aren't any in stock, anywhere. To get a Hero HD for 160 is pretty sweet. Even if I decide this was a mistake I should be able to sell it for a case of beer more than I paid for it.

More likely tho is that it becomes the "group gopro" for myself and my friends until it breaks. Thanks for the link MetaJew.

ahhh gotcha. Yeah my local dealer retails them for $150 (iirc) then I get another 20% off that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Not really to my taste but it's not that bad; classy colours, proper brakes, nice lines, proper tyres (not firestones), wont set your trousers on fire.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Resource posted:

Just curious because I have thought about it myself before, and would like to try to include motorcycles in some future video game project.

Have you seen any motorcycle games that do it right or had game mechanics that you thought were well done? What do you think are the most important parts of the motorcycle experience for a video game to focus on or get right?

I've always thought motorcycle combat in games should work like this:

Pull up beside guy on his right side
Reach over
Squeeze enemies front brake as hard as you can
Enemy endo's.

Pull up beside rider on his left
Reach for clutch
Kick at shifter
Enemy's engine blows up

There's lot of "no-no's" on bikes, I would love to see those used in games. Aiming for his chain, grabbing his bars and causing him to wreck etc.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

If I walked up to someone parked on my bikes like this you can bet your rear end my first move is to help the car the rest of the way over

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Resource posted:

Tourist Trophy for PS2 has the best rider movement and pretty good feel. You can even get anal and adjust little details about the body position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRrqHGdtd8

There's also GP-Bikes for the PC which has better physics but still has some wonky behavior. http://gp-bikes.com/

IMO Tourist Trophy has a pretty fun feel and is about as good as it gets with a gamepad. Some nice touches are wind blasts at high speed if you don't tuck in, the flow of the rider's body through transitions, all the correct control manipuliations (shifting, clutch, etc), and headshake.

An accurate motorcycle simulation would probably be frustrating as hell for most people, something to keep in mind.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've always thought motorcycle combat in games should work like this:

Pull up beside guy on his right side
Reach over
Squeeze enemies front brake as hard as you can
Enemy endo's.

Pull up beside rider on his left
Reach for clutch
Kick at shifter
Enemy's engine blows up

There's lot of "no-no's" on bikes, I would love to see those used in games. Aiming for his chain, grabbing his bars and causing him to wreck etc.

We used to play games in traffic like this (less extreme)
Filter up to the front of the queue, watch the other lights, when they turn amber reach over and turn off your buddys ignition and pull out the keys and drop them on the ground, that or try to nail their killswitch.

lights go green and you speed off laughing like a maniac.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Olde Weird Tip posted:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?122776-Bringing-my-DRZ-back-from-the-dead!

Still not entirely sure how it happened, but the helmet was clipped to the kawi because they were parked.

Posts says an older woman got her "foot stuck on the pedal."

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

An observer posted:

I think the usual complaint is that once a bike like that has had that amount of time/money spent on it, is that clean and shiny, and has had a rather unforgiving seat installed, it probably never sees the road again.

It makes you wish Honda would bring over the CB1100F, people could modify it to their heart's content.

(Pic stolen from Visordown)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I think the usual complaint is that once a bike like that has had that amount of time/money spent on it, is that clean and shiny, and has had a rather unforgiving seat installed, it probably never sees the road again.

It makes you wish Honda would bring over the CB1100F, people could modify it to their heart's content.

the psychadelic one definitely has an unforgiving seat, but the red one doesn't look too bad all things considered... people here daily ride DRZ400's and that's a pretty unforgiving seat imo, the red bike's seat isn't much worse than that. Certainly better than the 1cm bit of foam you get on an Italian supersport. If anything I'd say the bars are what's going to get in the way of most daily riding.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
What's the consensus on how many pairs of gloves to have?

A summer pair, a waterproof air, and a cold weather pair?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

I've never thought "Gee, I just have too much variety in my gloves!"

I have like 5 pairs for the street and 7 or 8 pairs for dirt, multiples summer, track, winter, waterproof gloves.

The 'pop out to the shop' on a hot day riding supermoto gloves VS weekend of 70-120mph track duty protect the skin at all cost gloves. Gloves are relatively cheap and I generally pick up any nice set I find if they are on sale, because you can never have too many.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Linedance posted:

people here daily ride DRZ400's and that's a pretty unforgiving seat imo

Amen there brotha!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

That's sort of what I've got, a most of the year pair, a cold and miserable weather pair, and a pair of snowboarding gloves which I don't really use anymore since I got the cold and miserable set. The snowboarding gloves were still warmer.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Armyman25 posted:

I have one pair of vented summer gloves and one pair cold weather gloves that are also "waterproof". The "waterproof" ones not only leak but they soak up a lot of cold water that will get your hands cold even if they stay reasonably dry.

I suggest one pair for warm weather, one pair for cold weather and a pair of waterproof rain gloves to put over the regular ones.

Rain gloves also often have a "three-finger" design that makes you look like Spock.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Snowdens Secret posted:

OH GOD I want one so bad. Or even better, the ever elusive CB1000

An observer posted:

The problem here is that...
"Get off my drat lawn!"

I love all three of those bikes to death. I'd require some shocks though, but yeah, they're awesome.

http://garagecompany.com/bikes/custom/CB750R/index.html
http://garagecompany.com/bikes/custom/cb750racers/index.html

Those kimtabs are just sexy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bikes like that never made much sense to me because they seem to be designed for different and opposing purposes.

They have a blower installed, but run poo poo tires.
They have what look to be decent brakes, but hardtails
The overall design appears to be for speed and performance, but they're raked to poo poo

Its like the worst of the chopper world mixed with the worst of the performance cafe world.

A CB750 designed for performance is actually a sight to behold.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Armyman25 posted:

Two to three depending on your heat tolerance. One cold weather/waterproof pair (these generally go hand-in-hand unless you have heated gear), one summer pair (which in my case doubles as my track pair because I don't mind wearing a full gauntlet all year), and one track pair (if you wear a shorty mesh glove or somesuch on the street).

edit: though I will admit to having 2 pairs of gauntlet gloves and 2 waterproof/cold weather gloves :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you have sweaty hands like myself and Lowtax, its good to have as many pairs as you can so they dont get nasty.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I realize I posted the gloves question in the wrong thread, moving to the Gear Thread.

Thanks for the responses!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Bikes like that never made much sense to me because they seem to be designed for different and opposing purposes.

The overall design appears to be for speed and performance, but they're raked to poo poo

Its like the worst of the chopper world mixed with the worst of the performance cafe world.

They look cool, though.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mcqueen posted:

They look cool, though.

If only they had DAYTONA on their sides..

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
They can't see the 'Daytona' if I'm leaned over in a turn.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Mcqueen posted:

They look cool, though.

The hardtail conversion (it is a conversion right?) just looks out of place on that, and unnecessary, even if looks are the main consideration. There are plenty of shocks / swingarm options that looks really cool and add even more of a "mechanical" look to a bike, all while increasing functionality, safety, and overall comfort

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Olde Weird Tip posted:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?122776-Bringing-my-DRZ-back-from-the-dead!
Also, that is THE most expensive exhaust you can get for the DRZ, and theres an identical one crushed under the left side of the bike :smith:

So that's why they run two exhausts on a single cylinder - as a spare!

Edit: refresh page, derrr

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Olde Weird Tip posted:

You seem to be missing the point. Bikes like those are to trailer to shows and look shiny. Anything that makes them go faster or ride lovely is completely inconsequential to the purpose of those machines.

Also what does the blower blow? It looks like it isn't even hooked up to the carbs or am I not seeing it right?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The weirdest part is the one with a tach but no speedo. Who does that?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I could live without a speedo. I always considered the tach to be more important. When I traded my '83 RX-7 GSL for a '84 GSL-SE, I was bummed to see Mazda had changed the gauge layout from big tach in the middle, speedo off to the side to same-sized tach and speedo side by side competing for my attention. Not that I ever really look down at gauges when I ride...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hayden. posted:

The weirdest part is the one with a tach but no speedo. Who does that?

Racers.

The sort of racers who run hardtail, blown bikes on bias ply tires.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
I think the "blower" is a belt driven magneto. Neat but expensive. I'd probably sell it and buy another bike. Google Ard Mag and in the images those bikes are right near the top.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

PeaceFrog posted:

I think the "blower" is a belt driven magneto. Neat but expensive. I'd probably sell it and buy another bike. Google Ard Mag and in the images those bikes are right near the top.

Yes both of those bikes are running mags which for cb750s are nearly impossible to find. Also at least one of the bikes is running a rare carb setup which again is nearly impossible to find. Neither of those bikes are hardtails, they both have struts in place of shocks. But other then that they still have the swingarm and all the normal 750 stuff.

I love the hell out of both of those bikes, they are both really nicely done.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mcqueen posted:

They can't see the 'Daytona' if I'm leaned over in a turngoing straight.

There, much better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like the bikes, I think they look pretty. Yeah they're showpieces, but I don't doubt they get ridden around the boulevard occasionally. By guys like the above. On his way to the set of a movie shoot. To chat with his buddy who is key grip. And buy drugs from him. Because he's got to feel the creative flow, for the screenplay he's writing. He was an extra in that Tarantino flick. He is a living stereotype.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Linedance posted:

I like the bikes, I think they look pretty. Yeah they're showpieces, but I don't doubt they get ridden around the boulevard occasionally. By guys like the above. On his way to the set of a movie shoot. To chat with his buddy who is key grip. And buy drugs from him. Because he's got to feel the creative flow, for the screenplay he's writing. He was an extra in that Tarantino flick. He is a living stereotype.

Some stereo types are cool though v:shobon:v

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14723/ITEM/Bridgestone-TW302-Trail-Wing-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

Chatroom Groomer
Jan 11, 2012

by Ozmaugh

KozmoNaut posted:

There, much better.

What's with the Daytona hate? What have you got against British bikes?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Nothing against the bikes, we're making fun of mootmoot.