Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
New chapter is up.

New-Baam is a goddamned rear end-kicking machine, definitely enjoying this; it'll be interesting to see if this "FUG" thing turns out to be the case. I like the big guy with the shape changing thing over his shoulder depending on what he's trying to do. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blind Eye
Dec 12, 2011

As a man who has three younger sisters I must say I have never laughed so nervously at a cartoon before. That said it turned to hysterics when the music started, oh God this is hilarious.I love anime I love you Japan. I'm sorry I doubted this season. I love you Shinbo and Nisio Isin and ADTRW.

Mo_Steel posted:

New chapter is up.

New-Baam is a goddamned rear end-kicking machine, definitely enjoying this; it'll be interesting to see if this "FUG" thing turns out to be the case. I like the big guy with the shape changing thing over his shoulder depending on what he's trying to do. :3:

no no no.. Perfect idea. the final door opens and the Real Baam enters and TKO's this guy in one shot. Least, That's what I'm hoping :ohdear:

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I have to say, I admire the way Ja Wangnan is trying to become the very best there ever was.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
Nothing like having a guy sign away his internal organs for one more shot at the dream to get your sympathy.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has talked about the Tower in the context of Japanese/Korean roguelikes (Baroque, Azure Dreams, FF/DQ-spinoff's-mysterious dungeons, etc). The whole MMO style class system is pretty obvious as well, so maybe that aspect is just too straightforward to merit explicit discussion.

I do find it interesting how there is sort of celestial bureaucracy (the floor guardians) that seems to represent the "natural" cosmology of the tower and which works in conjunction with the political power structure. And for some reason this power structure includes "hell levels" that turn MMO timesinks/skill chokepoints into social and economic barriers in the fictional world of the Tower.

On some level there probably is an external tower, but the Tower as presented so far in the text is a fascinating blend of Chinese (presumably actually Korean) mythological and gaming cosmologies, and maybe a degree of actual contemporary. It's like all the attempts to write fiction about online worlds a la Tad William's Otherland, .hack, or Snowcrash but far more successful (well excepting the latter) because instead of adopting "this is an online world" as a trope, the author built a world constructed using actual tropes of online gaming and presents it as the protagonists' actual reality.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 27, 2012

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
New chapter!

I, huh... :stare:

Baam's getting creepier with every chapter.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
Just keeps getting better

At first I thought he must just be vulnerable during the moment he attacks...but then the skeleton

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Everyone was using shinsoo. Baam has been able to move through shinsoo like it isn't there ever since he fought the snake. The cheap bomb was a conventional explosive, to which Baam has no immunity.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Go! Pokeball! Catch me a Baam!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I too was extremely disappointed that those were bombs and not containers for angry fighting creatures.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Lenaway posted:

Just keeps getting better

At first I thought he must just be vulnerable during the moment he attacks...but then the skeleton

Skeleton refers to what will happen to Prince when he fails (forced organ donation), not to Baam's strange Lobster exoskeleton.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
My favorite part of this chapter is when he leaves shinsoo behind where he punched the umbrella, then uses that to blast the guy. :hawaaaafap:

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

Sarcophallus posted:

Skeleton refers to what will happen to Prince when he fails (forced organ donation), not to Baam's strange Lobster exoskeleton.

Probably just too much Naruto but I figured that the red thing coming out of Baam was a ribcage.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Frankly, I just figured that almost drowning messed up Baam so badly that he now has to move himself around using shinsoo and the lobster thing relates somehow to how he does that.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
New Chapter

I wonder what the other set of characters are up to...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lenaway posted:

New Chapter

I wonder what the other set of characters are up to...

Who knows

It seems confirmed the lobster thing is a shield/healing thingy, Baam(maybe)s clothes seem shredded. Also likely baam based off how things are positioned

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Volume 2, Chapter 6 is here.

Is Baam "Lurker" on the board, since it looks like the black-eyed guy hasn't gone yet? Also, the score that the admin got is pretty funny when you look at the regular's scores copared to it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hietala posted:

Volume 2, Chapter 6 is here.

Is Baam "Lurker" on the board, since it looks like the black-eyed guy hasn't gone yet? Also, the score that the admin got is pretty funny when you look at the regular's scores copared to it.

Lurker is the loan shark. I only noticed it because I was just reading through the start of part 2.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Slime posted:

Lurker is the loan shark. I only noticed it because I was just reading through the start of part 2.

Oh yeah, I see that now, it's even mentioned in the current chapter. Wonder which he is then.

Edit: My bad, I thought there were only 20 people, looking earlier in the chapter I see that there are more than 20.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 18, 2012

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Slime posted:

Baam I am pretty sure has not gone yet, since he is noticably stronger then the Big Guy [Horang] and Horang just grabbed first pretty easy.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I'm predicting a Vegeta-style explosion of the shinsoo test machine.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Pyronic posted:

I'm predicting a Vegeta-style explosion of the shinsoo test machine.

I want this so bad and expect it entirely with the third test ending up as Baam, the crazy pyro girl and our current protagonist taking on other teams of three to progress upward. Possibly add in the big guy who just got the top score to Baam's team.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
This is a sort of body strengthening shinsoo test right? Given the way Baam took damage from a more mundane physical attack earlier, could it be possible that he doesn't know how, or simply cant use shinsoo to enhance his body? If I remember correctly, his talent with shinsoo is odd because he's very good at manipulating the ambient external forces. So, even with his crazy strengths, he could still fail this test.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Recursive Expanse posted:

This is a sort of body strengthening shinsoo test right? Given the way Baam took damage from a more mundane physical attack earlier, could it be possible that he doesn't know how, or simply cant use shinsoo to enhance his body? If I remember correctly, his talent with shinsoo is odd because he's very good at manipulating the ambient external forces. So, even with his crazy strengths, he could still fail this test.

I really think it was more of a fluke, all of the bombs before it were Shinsoo based so he didn't expect that one to do any damage either.

In any case, the raw's out if you're into spoiling yourself a bit without a translation:

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=183559&no=88&weekday=mon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Baam was unable to enhance his physical ability with shinsoo he would be slower than anyone else. Baam's talents are that he is largely immune to shinsoo, has a natural knack for learning shinsoo techniques, and doesn't follow the laws of physics when using it. He might have picked up a few things since then, but those have been his irregular irregularities thus far.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Needless to say, you don't need to know Korean to get the math behind the latest raw. Summation:

He's more than 5 times higher than anyone else's score without trying. He literally touches it gently, and he blows it away. Just don't ever gently caress with Baam.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

...FUG?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Things are getting fugly in there

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 19, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

...FUG?

That's the criminal group Baam appears to be a member of now. It was brought up a few chapters ago.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

That's the criminal group Baam appears to be a member of now. It was brought up a few chapters ago.

He(?) was just quoting the last line of the chapter.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Let me know if you guys want summaries of raw chapters. I'm too lazy/busy to ever do full blown translations, but I'll be more than happy to write up a quick summary if chapters get delayed or you just can't wait for the scanslation.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

pnumoman posted:

Let me know if you guys want summaries of raw chapters. I'm too lazy/busy to ever do full blown translations, but I'll be more than happy to write up a quick summary if chapters get delayed or you just can't wait for the scanslation.

There's a pretty rough one out at the moment:
e: Whelp, nevermind. Imagewagon.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
DAAAAAAMMNNNN Koon is a loving conniving sunnofabitch. Maybe someone can explain to me if these 'classes' of spear bearer and light bringer arose because of the towers inner layout or if they were just designed for the trials. I'm not sure why there needs to be a class that brings light to the game, unless the entire tower is in the dark. But all of that aside, Koon is resourceful as batman in this manga. Tricking the ranker into jumping down with him was nothing compared to when I saw him also on the ground level with sleepyhead. But how did he get to the bottom level when he was on the bridge?. Koons one crafty monster and probably my favorite character along with purple jumpsuit. I hope this manga gets published like Nobelesse soon, the manhwa's author deserves it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is a tower. By definition, it is indoors. No one can see outside the tower, which implies there are no windows. So yeah, having someone who can produce light on demand seems useful outside of the beaten path. The spear thing is because in areas of heavy shinsoo, only piercing weapons work. Blunt and slashing meet too much resistance.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.

pnumoman posted:

Well, so far scanslators have done a really good job with keeping up with this series.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think the lightbearer is another fisherman metaphor. Lots of traditional near-shore fishing is done at night, with lanterns to attract fish.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any manga or manhwa similar to this? I've been checking out the Recommending Seinen but theres so many options I cant seem to choose..

Another thing that worries me about this manga is that since the author doesnt have to meet any sort of deadline (I think) are we going to expect a chapter every week like the Shonen Jump mangas?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Are there any manga or manhwa similar to this? I've been checking out the Recommending Seinen but theres so many options I cant seem to choose..

Another thing that worries me about this manga is that since the author doesnt have to meet any sort of deadline (I think) are we going to expect a chapter every week like the Shonen Jump mangas?

It's a Monday updating web comic on Naver (S. Korea's most popular web portal). The author definitely has weekly deadlines and regularly meets them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Korean webtoons aren't really what you'd normally think of as webcomics. Some other good webtoons are Noblesse and to a lesser extent Trace.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Something's been bugging me, and if it get's explained we'll need another flashback to clear things up.
This goes all the way to the first chapter.
Baam has some nice new clothes, and a hair-cut. From a first reading, I thought that they might be fair-well gifts from Rachel...however, sometime after they start talking (after her "injury") Baam tells her that he's changed because he wears new clothes and cuts his hair now. This could imply that he somehow got out of the hole himself.
Another thing, if he was given his new things by Rachel, why would she give him such a vicious butcher knife/hand cleaver? What monsters is he going to fight in his pit.
Finally, at the beginning, why is she running from Baam? Where is she going? We know from the end of act one that she wasn't chosen to enter the tower, and was only able to go through the door that Baam was somehow opening himself.
So, something happened between the two. I'd like to think it's something as innocent as him confessing his love for her, and her running away from the reality of her "toy". However, if Baam got out of his hole, then something sinister could have happened.

Also, does opening the door twice make Baam two times an irregular (and thus twice the trouble), or was he chosen after opening the door? That would make him a chosen irregular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

pnumoman posted:

It's a Monday updating web comic on Naver (S. Korea's most popular web portal). The author definitely has weekly deadlines and regularly meets them.

If you live in the US the Raws come out in the afternoon on sunday. As far as other Webcomics I second Trace/Noblesse being darn good, I'm liking Dr.Frost and City of the Dead magician so far as well, but they don't have much translated yet. I have a soft spot for knights run but that translation sadly got dropped :smith: