Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I ordered these four days ago from Rakuten and they arrived already. What sorcery is this?

I ordered a couple of Famicom games from Rakuten on Monday but haven't had an order confirmation or payment email sent. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That game looked horrible to play but great to watch Arino struggle through :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This brings up something I've been trying to work out. In the most recent two DVD sets there have been "Revenge attempts" where Arino challenges a game that beat him before. One of them is Legend of the Mystical Ninja and one is this game.

The thing is that these are challenges but just listing them in the OP is a bit of a spoiler for the episode so I want to avoid that. Putting them in a spoiler block in the listing would still let the links show through if they got translated and people would have to read the spoiler to know what was getting spoiled.

I'm just not sure what to do about those two...

FredMSloniker posted:

I apologize if this was answered already and I missed it in the pages of congratulations, but the upcoming DVD will only feature the game segments of the episodes in question, right? Any chance of SA-GCCX translating the bits of those episodes that won't make the DVD?

We translated the unlicensed portions of episode 40 so it's not impossible that this will occur. But don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Edit: I just found out that someone is translating our translation scripts to Russian. On the one hand, it's cool that this stuff is spreading; on the other hand I really wish that they'd go straight from Japanese to Russian for the sake of better translations...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 2, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Holy poo poo I want an Arino crane game doll thing :stare:

benjiman
Sep 2, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Also, straight from Discotek's facebook: "The set will be available on Amazon and other online retailers. Amazon will ship to Europe as far as I know. It will be a region 1 NTSC set."

With those magic words, at least 2 more copies were confirmed for purchase. :)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That "spell" he was casting at the end looked an awful lot like he was trying to avoid exploding in a stream of profanities. "Remember, you are the Kacho. Beloved by all for your friendly demeanor."

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
The character in this game looks familiar-- was he the one who was paired with the kid who shot energy blasts in Namco X Capcom? I remember the kid was from another game Arino's played.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Son Ryo posted:

The character in this game looks familiar-- was he the one who was paired with the kid who shot energy blasts in Namco X Capcom? I remember the kid was from another game Arino's played.

Yes, he's paired up with Tarosuke from Shadowlands.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Uznare posted:

I don't think that's how the game works, if you notice, the physics in the game are wonky as hell and kagekiyo keeps in place while the platform still moves, so it's actually LESS dangerous to hop around than it is to stand still

He's found places to stand safely on those platforms before, if it didn't work he could just walk left and right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

Not only that but the sequel had a US release back when it was new (rather than a release as part of a Namco collection like this game did). It was titled "Samurai Ghost" in the US and I remember it mainly because I kept getting it confused with Ninja Spirit.

There's another game in the series where it was a board game where you used the famicom for certain actions.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Good god, I'm about 8 minutes in and this game looks frustratingly hard. The alternating views are cool but everything else seems to be set up so that it's impossible to not take a hit every so often.

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.
Looks like a barrage of poo poo is just thrown at you with little room to dodge unless you one shot it with a overpowered up sword. So you more or less press forward and hopefully kill poo poo before it can even come in contact with you or outrun it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Was it just my media player, or were there several times when the game failed to render the hero, an enemy, and the background at the same time?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Was it just my media player, or were there several times when the game failed to render the hero, an enemy, and the background at the same time?

Most likely the game. Lots of old games had weird little glitches like that, especially old games with tons of sprites like this one.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Oh Jetpack Postman, you'll always have a special place in my heart :allears: Seriously though, I know you were joking but I wouldn't mind getting you a copy since you played a big role.

That's very kind! It certainly would be very appreciated, but don't fret if it's not in the cards. I'm certainly more than happy to wait in line along with everyone else. :)

Also holy poo poo new episode. You guys continue to be really damned awesome. I'll try to remember to keep my own seed going so I can keep the downloads speedy.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Apologies if this has been already discussed in the thread, but is there any easy way of getting the Go by Train! games, like through JP PSN or other digital distribution without having to import a physical copy?

deliciousgrapesoda
Nov 5, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Its possible it was the video too, old games tend to run at 60 fps and the video is only 30 so anytime something is flickering in the game there is a chance that the video will only capture the frames when things aren't being drawn.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Even during the marathon challenges, I don't think I've ever seen a game physically hurt Arino like that. :stonk:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

iastudent posted:

Apologies if this has been already discussed in the thread, but is there any easy way of getting the Go by Train! games, like through JP PSN or other digital distribution without having to import a physical copy?

There's the Japanese iPhone one, and I thiiiiink there's a PSP one on JPSN, but otherwise, nnnnope? The next most recent one was the DS one.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

rdbbb posted:

There's the Japanese iPhone one, and I thiiiiink there's a PSP one on JPSN, but otherwise, nnnnope? The next most recent one was the DS one.

Ah, drat. Well at least the DS is region-free. Maybe I'll try hunting that down instead.

While I'll have to wait on that, I finally did my part and ordered Retro Game Challenge as a payday treat. :toot:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

iastudent posted:

Well, you'll have to order the controller anyway, so...

Wait. Don't tell me you were planning on trying the game without the official controller???

Serious note: A friend of mine made a trip to Japan some years ago and made it back with a suitcase full of Saturn and PS1 games including Go by Train. We putzed around with it for a few hours, but I don't think any of us even made the first station. It's definitely one of those "harder than it looks" games.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
My sincere congrats to zari-gani (I'm never sure if I'm typing that correctly) and the rest of the awesome SAGCCX team. I love learning about gaming history, especially about games that we never saw here in the states. (Umihara Kawase blew my mind. Wish I could put my hands on a copy for less than $90, though...)

Also, just to contribute something to the OP, the second piano piece used in the Retro Read-Along segment (at least, in the Pac-Man 2 episode) is Chopin's "Fantasie-Impromtpu" (Op. 66) Possibly my favorite piano arrangement of all time, and well-known to players of Eternal Sonata. I've heard some strange things pop up over the course of the series, but that was unexpected and really made my day. Still having trouble placing the first piece, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Vlaphor posted:

That "spell" he was casting at the end looked an awful lot like he was trying to avoid exploding in a stream of profanities. "Remember, you are the Kacho. Beloved by all for your friendly demeanor."

He was certainly starting to loose it towards the end what with the Kyoto thing and all.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Poor Arino... That game looks loving brutal as hell and not in the "Super Meat Boy" kind where it can get to controller throwing hard, but still fun. :(

On the upside, another great job on SAGCCX's (or specifically, Nagoyan) part. :)

Vlaphor posted:

I don't blame him one bit if that's what he was doing. If that were me, I would've used every profanity in the book and called it a day after finding out that you need the sword powered up through most of the game and you restart at Kyoto with default when you die after that point.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Forget about that, did you see the quiz game in that episode where one wrong answer was a game over? Who in the hell came up with that idea?

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

joek0 posted:

Episode #136
3/8/2012
Gradius

I am happy that he is going back to this game which he did in season 1. It is also great to see him challenge a shooting game. I like too see him overcome his worst genre of game. I wonder how often the staff will let him use the Konami Command. For project cx, he will do the Super Scope for SNES. This is a great game for the season finale. Season 16 will start in April.

Geez, too bad that AD Tsuruoka isn't there anymore. I'd LOVE to see him build a miniature Big Core just to tell Arino where to shoot it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Wow holy poo poo I played this stupid game (Genji and Heike) once at a hotel in Scotland where they had PS1s you could borrow and they only game they had was this namco collection in Japanese, and I picked a random one and it was this garbage.

I really never thought I'd see this game again, but at least I know what it is now!

(I didn't even get to the first flat stage without turning it off I think)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

We're nearly through moving all the episodes over to torrents. Just one more day's worth after this (and they're going to be really small).

096 - Ninja Gaiden 2 part 1
Download torrent81 (1 files; 582.57 MB)
View torrent stats

097 - Ninja Gaiden 2 part 2
Download torrent81 (1 files; 572.59 MB)
View torrent stats

105 - Hokaido Serial Murders
Download torrent81 (1 files; 500.61 MB)
View torrent stats

Stefan Prodan posted:

Wow holy poo poo I played this stupid game (Genji and Heike) once at a hotel in Scotland where they had PS1s you could borrow and they only game they had was this namco collection in Japanese, and I picked a random one and it was this garbage.

I really never thought I'd see this game again, but at least I know what it is now!

(I didn't even get to the first flat stage without turning it off I think)

The English version of that Namco collection is the only way to obtain an English version of the game. Naturally Namco Museum Volume 4 for the PS1 goes for a small fortune.

Edit: Ha ha, from the Amazon product review: "The Genji and the Heike Clans is a joke. Calling this an arcade classic is preposterous. [...] This one is a real loser."

NBHS posted:

(Umihara Kawase blew my mind. Wish I could put my hands on a copy for less than $90, though...)

My copy was about $20 so it looks like you can find it cheaper out there.

But I still feel like I got really lucky...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 2, 2012

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: Ha ha, from the Amazon product review: "The Genji and the Heike Clans is a joke. Calling this an arcade classic is preposterous. [...] This one is a real loser."

The whole time watching, I totally got a Bart vs The Space Mutants vibe. Not so much the game was hard thanks to clever level design and enemy placement, but rather due to it being a "poo poo game". Also, was there a famicom version of this game, or something similar? The side-scrolling levels where the character is tiny reminds me of Getsu Fuuma Den, but that was made by Konami. (Mainly, the way the character swings his sword... but now that I'm looking at youtubes of the game, they have the same old hag with the crystal ball, the gates you have to go through, the sorta non-linear choose-your-path overworld map, similar power-ups for your sword, etc.)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Seriously, the game was terrible enough to kinda ruin the episode for me. It wasn't fun watching him struggle through this mess, compared to him working his way through a "legit" tough game like Umihara Kawase.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

The English version of that Namco collection is the only way to obtain an English version of the game. Naturally Namco Museum Volume 4 for the PS1 goes for a small fortune.

Oh if they made an English version maybe it was in English and I just forgot as I attempted to block that game from my mind, haha

Also instead of "poo poo game" I think the code word you have to use with this show is "hidden masterpiece"

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh if they made an English version maybe it was in English and I just forgot as I attempted to block that game from my mind, haha

Also instead of "poo poo game" I think the code word you have to use with this show is "hidden masterpiece"

Forgive me, a "unique game" that "impressed many players" through it's "realistic portrayal of hell". Haha.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It's a realistic portrayal of hell alright.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
I don't know what to make of the fact that The Gourmet quiz game piqued my interest a thousand times more than Genpei did.

Edit: My god that MUSIC... :suicide:

I liked seeing the Tecmo wrestling game. Used to love that as a kid.

Egregious fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 2, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Egregious posted:

I don't know what to make of the fact that The Gourmet quiz game piqued my interest a thousand times more than Genpei did.

Same here.

That and the game about the Sickle Weasel Murder.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Random Stranger posted:

This brings up something I've been trying to work out. In the most recent two DVD sets there have been "Revenge attempts" where Arino challenges a game that beat him before. One of them is Legend of the Mystical Ninja and one is this game.

The thing is that these are challenges but just listing them in the OP is a bit of a spoiler for the episode so I want to avoid that. Putting them in a spoiler block in the listing would still let the links show through if they got translated and people would have to read the spoiler to know what was getting spoiled.

How about this format:

pre:
Episode     Game                      Genre                System         Translation

Season One
M1          A previously failed game  Insanity Sim       Famicom      TV Nihon
Name of above game: The name of the game
That would give readers the most control over how much information they want to risk seeing. The only way to completely avoid this kind of spoiling is to watch all the previous episodes first, in any case.

Note the url of the link; some browsers like to display the actual url of a link when hovering the mouse over it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I knew the music from the game before ever knowing the actual game thanks to Taiko Drum Master!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5dfwPSOsmI
It's a stupidly hard one to play on the highest setting, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMOsjUUkEQc

Nagoyan did a great job on the episode. It's not easy translating/deciphering all that old-timey Japanese, and the Land of Bad Puns is a piece of work.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 2, 2012

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Obeast posted:

Poor Arino... That game looks loving brutal as hell and not in the "Super Meat Boy" kind where it can get to controller throwing hard, but still fun. :(

The thing about Super Meat Boy is that it is insanely hard but the controls are perfectly implemented so you can never blame anyone but yourself for failing. Difficult retro games are far worse because there are so many glitches and control issues that cause the difficulty to be there in the first place...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Random Stranger posted:

To address the spoiled text: I don't think spoilers are necessary. After all, we already know Arino does 24-hour challenges of specific games; that would suggest that he failed to complete those games on their particular shows. And he didn't even fail to complete Lemmings--he just had to back off on the difficulty a bit--so someone can still be surprised!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuidoAnchovies
Oct 27, 2005

Im'a get ya!
So I guess I'm probably the only person that watched the Genpei episode and really wants to play the game because of it. Even with its arcade difficulty, it looks like a pretty ambitious game with a really cool setting. I wonder if the arcade version has the same continue system as the TG-16 port.