Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

Yes. It turned out to be a huge waste of money.

Come on dude really? It took two seconds to wiki this.

A popular misconception about "Blue Monday" holds that the single's die-cut sleeve, created by Factory designer Peter Saville, cost so much to produce that Factory Records actually lost money on each copy sold. It is unlikely that Factory Records could have sustained the losses implied, and the sleeve was soon changed to a similar non-die-cut design that would cost no more than a regular sleeve.[6] It is, however, probably true that New Order saw little profit from the single's success, since an investment in the Haçienda nightclub swallowed much of the money they made from their hit.[7]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yeah, didn't it cost more to make those sleeves than the amount of money they were making from sales?

Just got my Graveface Record Club package, which is just as ridiculous and awesome as usual:

Graveface is seriously the coolest label ever.

Hey, where do you live? I'm waiting for my record club delivery too and that new Dreamend record is pretty great.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Hey, where do you live? I'm waiting for my record club delivery too and that new Dreamend record is pretty great.

I'm in Tampa.

I think Ryan said they all went out last week, so you should have it soon.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm in Tampa.

I think Ryan said they all went out last week, so you should have it soon.

Ok, makes sense that you got it so quickly since he's shipping from Georgia. I'm in TX so it should be here this week for sure.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

stay depressed posted:

Come on dude really? It took two seconds to wiki this.

A popular misconception about "Blue Monday" holds that the single's die-cut sleeve, created by Factory designer Peter Saville, cost so much to produce that Factory Records actually lost money on each copy sold. It is unlikely that Factory Records could have sustained the losses implied, and the sleeve was soon changed to a similar non-die-cut design that would cost no more than a regular sleeve.[6] It is, however, probably true that New Order saw little profit from the single's success, since an investment in the Haçienda nightclub swallowed much of the money they made from their hit.[7]

Well it is true that the die-cut sleeve was too expensive. But yeah Factory lost more money on the Haçienda and Happy Monday's terrible fourth album then they did on Blue Monday sleeves.

If you don't really care about things being true or not though, 24 Hour Party People is a super entertaining movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LtTennisBall posted:

Well it is true that the die-cut sleeve was too expensive. But yeah Factory lost more money on the Haçienda and Happy Monday's terrible fourth album then they did on Blue Monday sleeves.

If you don't really care about things being true or not though, 24 Hour Party People is a super entertaining movie.

It's worth watching for Steve Coogan alone.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

LtTennisBall posted:

Yes, Please really isn't as bad as people make out. I'll be damned if songs like Angel and Sunshine & Love ain't cracking little comedown/withdrawl numbers. An album sadly bollocked because of bad timing and making the cardinal sin of coming after the great Pills 'n' Thrills. It did cost a fortune mind.

Anyway it's worth remembering (of course that's if I remember right) that the die cut sleeve version first came with a silver inner sleeve, then a black, before they switched to the simpler non-die cut design. And I wouldn't be surprised if there are other changes in there too that I can't remember. Whatever way don't spend too much on it, the die cut sleeve versions are really particulary rare.

Speaking of the Hacienda it's worth picking up Peter Hook's book How Not To Run A Club, which is worth it just for the end of chapter accounting. It brings a whole new meaning to the phrase retained loses. Also goes into the other great money wasting things such as Dry and the Factory Office. Of course Factory would've benefitted more if 3/4s their roster not being complete and utter shite.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

It's worth watching for Steve Coogan alone.

Absolutely. I'm generally obsessed with the Factory Records scene, and that movie (true or not) was just a ton of fun in every way.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Speaking of the Hacienda it's worth picking up Peter Hook's book How Not To Run A Club, which is worth it just for the end of chapter accounting. It brings a whole new meaning to the phrase retained loses. Also goes into the other great money wasting things such as Dry and the Factory Office. Of course Factory would've benefitted more if 3/4s their roster not being complete and utter shite.
so the book is good? I'll have to check it out then. Hook can come off as such a dick sometimes (though I totally understand the New Order thing), but I'm glad that it's good.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

LtTennisBall posted:

Absolutely. I'm generally obsessed with the Factory Records scene, and that movie (true or not) was just a ton of fun in every way.

so the book is good? I'll have to check it out then. Hook can come off as such a dick sometimes (though I totally understand the New Order thing), but I'm glad that it's good.

I like it, it can be a bit Hooky sometimes (for better or worse), and like when he did those Hacienda Classics CDs a few years back, you do sometimes get the feeling he's been given some of the info by people who weren't as coked up as he was, but overall it's a pretty good read if you ask me and goes into fair detail about the actual running of the place, lots of juicy monetary figures, behind the scenes actions, he talks about staff members and DJs, security concerns etc.

And it's been out long enough now so it's not like you'll pay the RRP. I think I picked mine up for about a fiver or so new a while back off Amazon.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I like it, it can be a bit Hooky sometimes (for better or worse), and like when he did those Hacienda Classics CDs a few years back, you do sometimes get the feeling he's been given some of the info by people who weren't as coked up as he was, but overall it's a pretty good read if you ask me and goes into fair detail about the actual running of the place, lots of juicy monetary figures, behind the scenes actions, he talks about staff members and DJs, security concerns etc.

And it's been out long enough now so it's not like you'll pay the RRP. I think I picked mine up for about a fiver or so new a while back off Amazon.

Yeah I like Hooky for the most part, but I was worried that the fact that he kinda hates everyone now might have clouded the writing. Good to see it hasn't!

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Some stuff I got in the last couple of weeks

Jay Farrar, Will Johnson, Anders Parker, Yim Yames - New Multitudes
Nas - Illmatic
Yuck - Yuck (Reissue with bonus B-sides LP)
Portugal. The Man - The Satanic Satanist

Not pictured:
Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance
The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
Joan Baez - David's Album

Plus the Make Believe flexi from Joyful Noise

I'm kind of disappointed with the New Multitudes release - not the tunes, but the packaging. I sort of expected more information regarding the project - maybe copies of the Woody Guthrie's handwritten lyrics in a gatefold or something?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone here know if this is a reputable website?

http://nerdalertrecords.auctivacommerce.com/Default.aspx

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone here know if this is a reputable website?

http://nerdalertrecords.auctivacommerce.com/Default.aspx

Unfortunately, they're no longer operational as of a year or so ago.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007
Just pre-ordered Kishi Bashi's new LP on white vinyl today from Joyful Noise Records. Really looking forward to this one, comes out early April I think.

$15 for white vinyl + mp3 or $12 for black vinyl + mp3 from http://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/

If you haven't heard any of the stuff from his EP, I would reccomend checking out Bright Whites, Manchester, or It All Began With a Burst.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Everyone's questions about Blue Monday might be answered by Peter Saville tomorrow:

http://www.factmag.com/2012/02/29/radio-4-investigate-the-12-inch-single-peter-saville-talks-blue-monday/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemNext&item=190644755876&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&autorefresh=true

I literally hit bid on this when the counter hit zero and didn't get to place it. gently caress finding a great auction 1 minute before it ends and not having enough time to deliberate whether I want to buy or not.

For those not familiar with this album, it's basically amazing horror rock made by the man responsible for coining the term psychedelic rock (as the 13th Floor elevators) after he went completely insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50k-dCwV6SU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSv1J_5Aom8

Pretty much every song on this album is this good too.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 1, 2012

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of good stand-up is out there on vinyl? I've looked at Stand-Up Records (and I just ordered both of their Patton Oswalt albums), and I know there's a few other mainstream guys (Aziz Ansari, at least) who have been releasing stuff on vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

What kind of good stand-up is out there on vinyl? I've looked at Stand-Up Records (and I just ordered both of their Patton Oswalt albums), and I know there's a few other mainstream guys (Aziz Ansari, at least) who have been releasing stuff on vinyl.

All three David Cross albums are on vinyl, I really like those. And that's not to mention the classics such as George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Steven Wright, etc, etc. Truth be told, I almost always buy comedy albums on CD because it's just people talking. There isn't any nuance you're going to miss out on that makes it worth paying two or three times what you'll spend on the CD, or DVD in some cases. In fact a lot of comedy CDs now include a DVD with the CD for just the price of one of those things.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

CPL593H posted:

All three David Cross albums are on vinyl, I really like those. And that's not to mention the classics such as George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Steven Wright, etc, etc. Truth be told, I almost always buy comedy albums on CD because it's just people talking. There isn't any nuance you're going to miss out on that makes it worth paying two or three times what you'll spend on the CD, or DVD in some cases. In fact a lot of comedy CDs now include a DVD with the CD for just the price of one of those things.

You should only buy comedy on vinyl if you're going to scratch with it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JohnnyMondo posted:

You should only buy comedy on vinyl if you're going to scratch with it

Do people do this? I guess it would be fun with George Carlin's old seven dirty words routine. Cocksucker, motherfucker, tits!

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
Walked out of the record store last night with Pink Floyd's 'Animals' and David Bowie's 'Portrait of a Star,' a French release that packaged 'Low,' '"Heroes",' and 'Lodger' on 3 LPs. So loving good.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yoshifan823 posted:

Lewis Black released many of his shows on vinyl. Also he's funny.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

the classics such as George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Steven Wright, etc, There isn't any nuance you're going to miss out on that makes it worth paying two or three times what you'll spend on the CD

Yeah but used ones are like 50c.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

Woody Allen's album Standup Comic is usually kicking around for cheap, and very replayable and funny. It's a 2 LP compilation of stuff from the early 60s.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yeah but used ones are like 50c.

I was refering to new stuff. The old stuff is always dirt cheap.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I was refering to new stuff. The old stuff is always dirt cheap.

lol wut, are they really repressing old comedy records, whats the market? There's always 10 million even at the shttiest goodwill.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

lol wut, are they really repressing old comedy records, whats the market? There's always 10 million even at the shttiest goodwill.

No, the new comedy albums by current artists. They're not cheap.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just got something marvelous in the mail today!

Tried to get a good pic of the inscription on it "WE ALL GET THE GODS WE DESERVE" (A) and "CHANTS DE MORT" (b) but the flash kept rendering them unreadable.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

cheapandugly posted:

Tried to get a good pic of the inscription on it "WE ALL GET THE GODS WE DESERVE" (A) and "CHANTS DE MORT" (b) but the flash kept rendering them unreadable.

Which pressing? I got the US pressing for like $15 in the generally most expensive bin in town. It has a big ol scratch that doesn't really affect the sound at all.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

No, the new comedy albums by current artists. They're not cheap.

Misinference of your original post on my part. New comedy albums on record is still stupid, however.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone know where a good place to get import LPs at? I want to get O. Children's self-titled but they don't ship to the US.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

cheapandugly posted:

niiice - u must be stoked.

'difficult' music owns anyway and when you find something cool it's usually in great condition.
I found a couple unusual things at the local place last weekend:

wire - a bell is a cup until it is struck (kidney bingos!)
tuxedomoon - half mute OG
...and a cheap ventures double.

the wire looks like it was played once - even had an 'inspected by' thing still in it. did a lil' eye bugout when I saw it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I just bought Interpol - Interpol double lp edition from Amazon.com for 11 bucks. Shipping to the EU was less than 5(!) bucks.

Hot drat.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carnavas by Silversun Pickups is $6.99 free shipping over at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Carnavas+-+VINYL/9060696.p?id=1837430&skuId=9060696&st=silversun%20pickups&lp=8&cp=1

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

alg posted:

Carnavas by Silversun Pickups is $6.99 free shipping over at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Carnavas+-+VINYL/9060696.p?id=1837430&skuId=9060696&st=silversun%20pickups&lp=8&cp=1

Thanks! I read somewhere that Best Buy is getting rid of their vinyl so there is a lot of stuff on there for cheap. There is over 1,000 listed from $7 - $9.99. Definitely worth a look through if you've got the time.

Edit: Ended up picking up the following from Best Buy:
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
The Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Fillmore East (180g)
Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World (Limited Edition, 180g)

saved about $20 if I got them from Amazon.

thebigpicture fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 2, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Oh, hey there vinyl thread. Ummm...long time, no see.
:shobon:
Anyway....I've been well.

Yeeeeeaaaah. It's been really busy. I moved. How about you?

My last foray here ended on a bit of an awkward note. Turns out the Ted Leo thing I posted (which I'd actually read in a legitimate article) was from a misheard rumor. I didn't mean to post something wrong and then flake out to never return either- I have actually been remarkably busy and I have actually moved three states away from where I used to live.

:shobon:

.....That's good. Anyway, I got some mail today.

First vinyl purchase since New Year's. It's the 2010 Record Store Day reissue (and yes, I bought it from an actual record store- albeit through Amazon). Eventually, I'd like to pick up a copy of the original pressing, if only for the sake of sheer anal-retentiveness. I'm enough of a sucker for colored vinyl that I couldn't resist, though.

Apologies for the lighting. The picture doesn't remotely do justice to how lush and "fruity" the blue really is. It's more like the color of a raspberry Jolly Rancher than sky blue.

CPL593H posted:

All three David Cross albums are on vinyl, I really like those.

The last time I went to RedScroll (January), I saw a vinyl copy of Bigger and BlackerEr. It came in this thick, elaborate, black velvet-covered, gold-embossed sleeve/book. It was also $35 and I had special editions of the National's first 4 albums to buy.

Speaking of which:

Passion for Dilbert posted:

Here's a couple of download codes that I don't need to use if anyone wants them!!
The National - Alligator
alligator.beggarspromo.com === ALGR_882CC325

Somebody use that code now, because that album is loving incredible and you need it.
BTW, Passion for Dilbert, is that from the 4AD lime green edition?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Which pressing? I got the US pressing for like $15 in the generally most expensive bin in town. It has a big ol scratch that doesn't really affect the sound at all.

US pressing $40 shipped off discogs, pretty pricey but I haven't seen any looking around town. I actually haven't been buying as much vinyl as I'd like because so many neat things are CD only lately.

Bugaloo, that REM disc is beautiful.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cheapandugly posted:

Bugaloo, that REM disc is beautiful.

:swoon:I know!!!:swoon:

It was "only" $24 with shipping, which I guess ain't bad by '2-year old RSD print' standards. That's cheaper than every copy of the original run I've seen- which is unfortunate because I absolutely need one now.

The fact that my copy of their first EP is the youngest thing in my REM vinyl collection by at least 2 decades is doing my head in and disturbing the sense of continuity and peace. It's just...off to put it next to Murmur.

But between this and the goon-requisite horse mask I ordered (arrived yesterday), I'm giddy as a schoolgirl. Maybe I'll spin some tracks, drink some black rum, and prance around disturbingly in the mask for a while before I go out for the night.....

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Went out to get a few new things today (since I can't stop shopping):
Sunn 0))) - 00 void
Sunn 0))) meets Nurse With Wound - The Iron Soul of Nothing
Sun Ra - Space is the Place (2010 repress)
Golden - s/t (sexy opaque turquoise)
Al Goodman Orchestra - H.M.S. Pinafore

Bought the Golden disc because it had a piece of paper taped to the outer sleeve saying it was really good. So far has been a rather interesting combination of a mellow alt country sound with some jazziness and a bit of a harsh edge, and it's all in Japanese. Definitely worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, it is loving impossible to get a copy of The Caretaker's An Empty Bliss Beyond This World on vinyl.

I don't care if it's an original, a reissue or a re-reissue, I just want it on vinyl :(