Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I really like this alternate cover for that lovely movie:

Almost makes me want to give the black and white version a try. Almost.

That looks like a Bernie Wrightson illustration. Or maybe Drew Struzan imitating Bernie Wrightson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Young Freud posted:

That looks like a Bernie Wrightson illustration. Or maybe Drew Struzan imitating Bernie Wrightson.

The last is pretty accurate as Drew did the painting. I think it was done as a gift for Frank Darabont too, since it was never used as a poster for the theatrical release. Drew also did the painting Thomas Jane is working on in the opening scene.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Guess I'll give the b/w version another shot, just to see if I hate it less. (it had its good points though)

Hey! Guess what abomination most of us forgot about!

Those sunglasses are a worse photoshop job than when Goons do "Deal With It" gifs. How the hell does anyone go "yep, finished product, send it to print"?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Don't know why I thought of Struzan, but it was likely looking at that pebbly short strokes that his brush work has.

The Bernie Wrightson comparison had a lot to do with his previous relationship with Stephen King, but there's still a lot of overwrought, stretched flesh in the hands and face that it's likely Struzan being inspired by his work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

jojoinnit posted:

Those sunglasses are a worse photoshop job than when Goons do "Deal With It" gifs. How the hell does anyone go "yep, finished product, send it to print"?

Overworked and underpaid.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Edward G. Robinson STILL can't figure it out. He's looking right at them!

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Edward G. Robinson STILL can't figure it out. He's looking right at them!
Scrooooge! Scrooooooooooge!
I am the head of Christmas past!

Dammit, Scrooge, look up from her and listen to me!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Bana film being another studio and a box office failure.
Norton being a huge rear end in a top hat to work with and would take control of the movie.
Edward Norton's Incredible Hulk made $263 million (in 2008), Bana's Hulk made $245 million (in 2003); plus, Norton's Incredible Hulk cost more to make. They both seem to be equally "failures."

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
And Ang Lee's Hulk is the one people still talk about.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ez posted:

It's a fair question though. I know it would be difficult to get all the actors together with hectic schedules and all, but why cant they just take an hour on one of the days where they're shooting a group scene and take a picture?

It seems so simple but I'm sure it's wildly impossible for some reason.

itrorev posted:

Perhaps I am naive when it comes to film marketing, but do they really have to photoshop in the pictures from other sources? With the gazillion dollars spent on marketing, would it really be that difficult to get all the actors to take a bunch of photo for sole purpose of making decent film posters?
You guys are kidding, right? Do you know how hard it is to get the Hulk to stand still and pose for pictures?! LOL

That poster reminds me of this tattoo from Ink Masters. It's supposed to be 'photo-realistic' but the criticism was that you could not take a photo with those sizes.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

jojoinnit posted:

Stop hating on "Deal With It" gifs.

:colbert:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Black Lighter posted:

Stop hating on "Deal With It" gifs.

:colbert:

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Deal With It.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Binary Logic posted:

You guys are kidding, right? Do you know how hard it is to get the Hulk to stand still and pose for pictures?! LOL

That poster reminds me of this tattoo from Ink Masters. It's supposed to be 'photo-realistic' but the criticism was that you could not take a photo with those sizes.

Is there a realistic Pacman on the other side?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Guess I'll give the b/w version another shot, just to see if I hate it less. (it had its good points though)

Hey! Guess what abomination most of us forgot about!

This summer, Ashton Kutcher is... TROLLFACE. loving christ :cripes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Armyman25 posted:

And Ang Lee's Hulk is the one people still talk about.

Yeah, but people didn't like Hulk when it was Ang Lee. :downsrim:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Binary Logic posted:

Realism is a style of tattooing. It doesn't mean that the subject cant be arranged or re-sized for composition reasons.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
As far as movies with plots that are basically 'we're going to have a party' go, I've always kind of liked House Party, and the poster isn't too bad.

It has the main characters front and center (with tiny girls leaning on a Monopoly hotel) and the sources of conflict behind them. Also Martin Lawrence.:eng99: Overall, it succeeds by keeping it simple, and they're clearly in a house. And hey, it's available on videocassette and laserdisc! And even the Bombay Video version is recognizable as the same film!

the best part of combing GIS for these was probably the appearance of an Eraserhead poster

But by the second film, there began to be obvious signs of trouble.

you'll never guess what site I found this large, non-creased image on
Pajamas appear, so kudos to the poster designer for that. Based on the larger number of tiny people attending this second House Party, it may have even been the same designer they used for the first.

There was, of course, a third film.

Well, there's... the outline of a house! And Emmanuel Lewis as Bernie Mac! I guess they're at least trying to look energetic, the way you might be if you were having a House Party. But look at those girls behind them; angry, disinterested, dismissive, and... Carrot Top with his hair down. Could this be the last House Party poster with even a hint of effort?

Yes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Darthemed posted:

Yes.

Is that Bodie from The Wire?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darthemed posted:

House Party

I never thought I'd see a critical breakdown of the demise of House Party posters. Or that I would agree with it. Thank you for this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Is that Bodie from The Wire?

No.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Open the full versions of these posters and switch between them really quick. There's something weird going on with the ears and hair of Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin. It looks like they copied the face of one guy and pasted it onto the face of another and some parts of the face below still stick out or something.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Is there any possibility of Men in Black 3 NOT being terrible and awful like Men in Black 2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Switching between the two makes it look like Josh Brolin's head is swelling and about to explode Scanners-style.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Men In Babyhandsland 3

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Nutsngum posted:

Is there any possibility of Men in Black 3 NOT being terrible and awful like Men in Black 2?

Potentially, but probably not. I'm interested to see more of it in a future trailer, but they started shooting before they finished writing the script. How often has that worked out well?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Potentially, but probably not. I'm interested to see more of it in a future trailer, but they started shooting before they finished writing the script. How often has that worked out well?

Iron Man.

That's all I got.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Attention Horse posted:

Open the full versions of these posters and switch between them really quick. There's something weird going on with the ears and hair of Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin. It looks like they copied the face of one guy and pasted it onto the face of another and some parts of the face below still stick out or something.

Yeah, it looks like they pasted Tommy Lee Jones' face and neck onto Brolin. But if I had to guess, I'd say it's for one of those posters that changes as you walk by.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Apocalypse Now.

...but, uh. I don't think Men in Black 3 will be as good as Apocalypse Now.

I still don't get why they're making this movie NOW. The first two made a lot, yeah, but the second was a loving decade ago. Let it die with some honor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

penismightier posted:

Apocalypse Now.

I still don't get why they're making this movie NOW. The first two made a lot, yeah, but the second was a loving decade ago. Let it die with some honor.

They're making it now because this was when they finally got all their ducks in a row. They've been trying to make the movie for years.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

penismightier posted:

Apocalypse Now.

Time means anything in film production? There have been films that took 50 years to get made. Stuff like early sci-fi from Dick and Asimov got optioned back in the 50's, and many of the stories are still in production hell. Rights get passed from owner to owner, studio to studio, endless drafts of screen plays, it goes on forever. 10 years to get a film going is nothing out of the ordinary.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Time means anything in film production? There have been films that took 50 years to get made. Stuff like early sci-fi from Dick and Asimov got optioned back in the 50's, and many of the stories are still in production hell. Rights get passed from owner to owner, studio to studio, endless drafts of screen plays, it goes on forever. 10 years to get a film going is nothing out of the ordinary.

True, but that's not exactly relevant when we're talking about a pop culture franchise. 10 years between second sequels is really pushing it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Darthemed posted:

those girls behind them; angry, disinterested, dismissive
Looks like TLC before the one chick died. Possibly also before she burned down her boyfriend's house (whose jersey she appears to be wearing)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

echoplex posted:

True, but that's not exactly relevant when we're talking about a pop culture franchise. 10 years between second sequels is really pushing it.

but but but... Dan Aykroyd said... :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dissapointed Owl posted:

but but but... Dan Aykroyd said... :(

But then Bill Murray said....

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Attention Horse posted:

Tommy Lee's tie cuts off with a hard line right under the knot. Could they make the copy/paste any more obvious?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Why does Smith have jowls?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.
Wait... I thought Tommy Lee Jones was obviously established as human in the first movie. Because going by the tiny arm sprouting from his chest, he's clearly a Vortigaunt.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Ez posted:

Why cant they just take an hour on one of the days where they're shooting a group scene and take a picture?
It seems so simple but I'm sure it's wildly impossible for some reason.
It would look like this.

While effort has been taken, it's pretty apparent the limitations you run into when trying to fit several people into a wide crowd shot and keep all the publicists happy.

Publicity photos have always been used as reference, have a look at anything drawn for older films. Even the method of the actor's face drawn onto a model posing on a table isn't new - we just now have stockphotos.com to use.

Here's an example from Aliens where an on set publicity still that's been arranged during shooting is approved and used as a basis for the poster. If Weaver was shot in full as in the finished product there would be less detail for the artist to copy across. The background is also sourced from set photos.

Actors are rarely all on the set on a given day as scheduling only allows a finite amount of time and most move onto new projects immediately after wrapping. When it comes to something like The Avengers the effort involved in putting six actors into full costume, props and makeup is more than "an hour".
Also RDJ looks like this when shooting.

The other factor is ease of manipulation when making a poster which is why we use publicity photos shot in a studio. Film frames are too low quality for print resolution (grain gets messy when resized, even at 4k) and have too many distracting elements. High resolution portrait shots are desired so that the actors can have final say. It's why you tend to get warped faces as on the 11th hour they pick an expression they'd like with this pose.

This also explains why people don't fit with light sources as the shoot calls for flat lighting so we can move around the lead and supporting cast and try our best to cheat with the dodge and burn tools.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WebDog posted:

This also explains why people don't fit with light sources as the shoot calls for flat lighting so we can move around the lead and supporting cast and try our best to cheat with the dodge and burn tools.

Unless, of course, your film is Tower Heist then just...gently caress it!

Great post btw.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

WebDog posted:

:words:

Interesting. Thanks for the informative post WebDog. Sadly it looks like when it comes to big budget studio movies, we have to pick from unpolished, realistic looking crap and clean, digital, fake looking crap.