Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Leagues that cant figure out how to balance skill level are the worst. For the first time in a while I'm back on the winning side of these teams and it's really sorta boring. Even matches or being the underdog certainly are a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Depends on how big of an underdog we're talking about here. Playing against a team that curbstomps you is just frustrating.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Leagues that cant figure out how to balance skill level are the worst. For the first time in a while I'm back on the winning side of these teams and it's really sorta boring. Even matches or being the underdog certainly are a lot more fun.

That's what's so frustrating about my league. The skill level difference between the first place and the last place team is absurd. If they played 100 games, the first team would win 100 times, usually by double digits.

Nick Papagiorgio
Oct 4, 2011
I just took over 4 inches off of my stick. It was much easier than I thought it would be, and the flex has gone up to over 100, which is good because 85 was too drat whippy sometimes. I'm trying it out tomorrow.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That's what's so frustrating about my league. The skill level difference between the first place and the last place team is absurd. If they played 100 games, the first team would win 100 times, usually by double digits.

I think my league would be pretty reasonable if if they cut it down to just the bottom 6 or so teams. We'd still probably be the 2nd worst team but we can at least hold our own against those guys and lose by one or two goals. Against the top teams it's pretty much guaranteed to be a 5+ goal margin and those games are hard to get excited for.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nick Papagiorgio posted:

85 was too drat whippy

DOES NOT COMPUTE

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Thufir posted:

I think my league would be pretty reasonable if if they cut it down to just the bottom 6 or so teams. We'd still probably be the 2nd worst team but we can at least hold our own against those guys and lose by one or two goals. Against the top teams it's pretty much guaranteed to be a 5+ goal margin and those games are hard to get excited for.

Yeah that is what I had our league director do. We had 5 great teams and 5 bad teams in our league, so we just split it into two leagues, every team is within four points from 1st to 5th in both leagues, it is a lot more fun now.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:psyduck: If you had 4 extra inches to trim off your stick maybe the problem was your stick length and not the flex :psyduck:

First league game tonight in two weeks. Being on a team that is 95% students means we get our schedule re-arranged during reading week when nobody is in town (also goes for Christmas break)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Slapshot off the foot during lunch-league? Yes please!

"No, co-worker, I'm not wearing my shoes right now. What's it to you?"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I went to stick time this morning and was taking a few slappers from the blue line. As I'm bringing the stick down on one shot, my teammate passes me another puck which hits mine because he's a dick. I slap both of them. One of them slides into the net and the other flies off to the side and hits another dude in the belly.

Sorry random dude :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was being a helpful member of society last night and cleaning pucks out of the net and sliding them across the rink where dudes were working on a drill.

Last puck, I wrist it right into the gut of the kid the coach uses as an aide as he skates by.

Sorry kid!

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

So, I used to (15 years ago?) figure skate.

I've been trying to get into a beer league (have been playing, albeit poorly, in one), but I've tried 2 or 3 pairs of skates now, and they always feel weird on the ice. It's not the whole 'different blade' thing -- it feels like my ankles are flopping around in them, like I would expect to be on an outside edge due to body positioning, but somehow I'm still on an inside edge. At first I thought it was an issue with the blade, but it's sharp and seems to be right. The fit seems correct as well, and the skates are tight, so my ankles shouldn't be able to just flop around.

It's so frustrating, it feels like I can barely skate when I put on the hockey skates, but I have no issues when I'm coaching special olympics in my figure skates.

The skates I've tried are all fairly high quality, including having bought some from a NHL team excess equipment sale a year back, so I don't think it's that.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? Or is it just supposed to feel like that, and eventually I get used to it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey skates don't clamp on the ankle the same way figure skates do.. they have a little slack in them to allow the ankle to move. I believe the justification for this is it makes the skater more agile. You obviously don't want them too loose, or else the ankle doesn't get any benefit from the support that the boot is supposed to offer.

I'm just guessing but I'd suspect this is what feels weird to you. You really have to "break" the ankle and lean into the boot to get seated on the outside edge.

How much slack to allow in the ankle is largely a preference thing. Most people seem to crank down on the top eyelets pretty tight, which makes a gap just barely big enough to fit an index finger. But you'll see some players who look like their skates are in risk of falling right off their foot.

keondin
Sep 7, 2005
Somehow I stumbled into this thread despite never really playing or watching much hockey and now I have an insatiable urge to start playing. I live in Louisville (not exactly an ice sports hot spot) so pickings are fairly slim in the area, but I found this league/class that sounds like it would be right up my alley: LAHPA Never Ever League

My main question is how I should go about obtaining equipment. The registration fee for the league is $225, but for $550 they will also provide you with all the necessary gear (includes: skates, helmet w/cage, pants, shin guards, elbow pads, shoulder pads, gloves, stick and a bag). Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Will all of the gear be low-end garbage? Will I even care if it is?

If it would be better for me to obtain equipment on my own, ice hockey store selection around here is pretty limited. There are a couple of Dick's Sporting Goods and Play It Again Sports shops in town, but I honestly doubt they carry a large supply of ice hockey gear. The two local rinks have pro shops -- are prices usually reasonable at rink pro shops or are they substantially marked up? I would assume that buying a first set of gear online is a bad idea due to sizing issues.

Any suggestions you guys have on gearing up would be great. I'm super pumped to learn to play -- I play a lot of sports and skated inline when I was a kid so hopefully I can pick it up quickly, but either way it should be fun!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

keondin posted:

Somehow I stumbled into this thread despite never really playing or watching much hockey and now I have an insatiable urge to start playing. I live in Louisville (not exactly an ice sports hot spot) so pickings are fairly slim in the area, but I found this league/class that sounds like it would be right up my alley: LAHPA Never Ever League

My main question is how I should go about obtaining equipment. The registration fee for the league is $225, but for $550 they will also provide you with all the necessary gear (includes: skates, helmet w/cage, pants, shin guards, elbow pads, shoulder pads, gloves, stick and a bag). Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Will all of the gear be low-end garbage? Will I even care if it is?

If it would be better for me to obtain equipment on my own, ice hockey store selection around here is pretty limited. There are a couple of Dick's Sporting Goods and Play It Again Sports shops in town, but I honestly doubt they carry a large supply of ice hockey gear. The two local rinks have pro shops -- are prices usually reasonable at rink pro shops or are they substantially marked up? I would assume that buying a first set of gear online is a bad idea due to sizing issues.

Any suggestions you guys have on gearing up would be great. I'm super pumped to learn to play -- I play a lot of sports and skated inline when I was a kid so hopefully I can pick it up quickly, but either way it should be fun!

That looks like a pretty awesome program. You might call the local Play It Again Sports and ask what they have, the ones in Nashville have a decent amount of hockey stuff. Dick's has absolutely nothing beyond some trashy street hockey stuff. The rink pro shops are probably pretty expensive but you could maybe try some gear on and then order online, if you're not ethically opposed to that. I like https://www.icewarehouse.com

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

See if you can get a list of the model of equipment they provide. Low-end stuff won't matter too much for certain parts but having some nice skates, gloves, and a comfortable helmet you can trust will all go a long way. The stick, too, I guess.

Of course if you live in an equipment wasteland, anything is better than nothing, and $325 for a full set of gear is a decent price.

e: If you are just learning, I would also invest in good solid elbow pads as you'll be falling on them often and ice hurts like a fucker.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The OP has a heap of advice on buying gear. It's a year old, but the information is still instructive.

We are getting close to the point where the new model year of gear shows up.. which appears in stores in April or May. This means selection will be getting kind of low, as stores will be wanting to clear out stock. The upside is that sales will be more common.

As for price, most recommend budgetting $250 on skates alone. Another $300 will probably be spent on pads and bags and other miscellaneous crap.

I'd probably find a proper hockey store and/or order stuff online before letting the rink sell you a package deal. The offerings at Dick's are going to be poo poo too. Pro shops are terrible places to save money, but odds are decent they'll have good stuff.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If anything, go to a pro shop and get properly fitted for skates. They'll best be able to help you choose a decent skate for your price range, and most important of all, they'll make sure they fit. Don't be afraid to ask questions. They'll be the most knowledgable out of all your options. I would never trust Dick's, and Play it Again can be hit-or-miss. The one by me happens to have ownership and employees that love and know hockey, but YMMV.

Skates are the most important part of equipment, because ill-fitting skates can make skating a lot more difficult, can be painful, and worse, can cause injury.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

shyguy posted:

Skates are the most important part of equipment, because ill-fitting skates can make skating a lot more difficult, can be painful, and worse, can cause injury.

I second this because 9 times out of 10, newish hockey players tend to get skates that are too big. Go to a store that focuses on hockey if at all possible.

Look to spend $200 on skates. Spending less will get you by but they won't be very supportive, comfortable, and more than likely can't be "baked" so that they mold to your foot.

Also, don't let someone tell you that baking a skate will cure ANY fit problem. A good salesman will try to get someone into a specific model and claim that any discomfort will be fixed by molding the skate. You want to choose a skate that is comfortable before baking. Make sure that the width is comfortable when standing because your arches will flatten out and your foot will get wider with applied weight.

If you feel like your skate is too big, kick your toes into the ground and see how much space is between your heel and the back of the boot. If you can put a finger or two back there, its too big. You're foot really shouldn't move in order to give you the most response from your skates.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
Have any of you Sharks Ice goons taken the clinics that Tyler offers? I'm signed up for next Thursday's and I'm curious what to expect.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I picked up an Int EQ30 65 flex today. I wanted to try a stick with more flex. Im not a big guy and have to cut a few inches off my senior stick which takes it to a 96 or so from an 85. I dont feel like I can flex it enough. The local play it again had them at 89.99 with 35% off so it was about the same as online. I liked the look and feel of the eq50 but didn't want to spend that much on an experiment. If I end up liking the 30 at that flex I might pick one up too.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
5-2 win last night. Outdoor game. By the third period we must have had half an inch of fluffy powder on the ice. Face-offs were tough by then with no visible lines. Passing was rough, too, as the puck would disappear in a flurry of snow or slow down a lot.

Was a lot of fun and reminded me of playing outdoors at night back in Michigan. Hell yes High Rockies Hockey!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

Also, don't let someone tell you that baking a skate will cure ANY fit problem. A good salesman will try to get someone into a specific model and claim that any discomfort will be fixed by molding the skate. You want to choose a skate that is comfortable before baking. Make sure that the width is comfortable when standing because your arches will flatten out and your foot will get wider with applied weight.

Your advice is good, but be careful. Choosing a skate that is comfortable before baking can result in getting a skate that is too loose. In my experience skates need to be broken in to be really comfortable. Or you can spend a ton of money...

I solved my problem with my TotalOnes by baking and a secondary punch out by my right big toe. I knew they were the right size because my big toe was very, very close to brushing the toe cap and it fit with my heel. They were tight in one spot but that was easily solved.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And make sure they measure BOTH of your feet. I guarantee one foot is shorter than the other.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

With my job (which thankfully I won't need soon enough), I don't have a set time I get done since I deliver meds. Yesterday I planned on playing drop-in at a rink near my work at 9:30, and figured I'd easily make it out in time to do so. Well, I had a long route yesterday and throughout the day considered calling up the rink to "reserve" a spot (even though you really can't do that, but I've done it before because of this job). I got out five minutes before 9, rushed over to the rink, and...the drop-in was sold out.

:smith: oh well it was kind of a lovely skate anyways

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
I know none of you all stars care but I really want to share with someone (no friends in new town :( ) men's league is going great! Down 13 pounds in 2 weeks, skating more shifts every night, tonight I shouldn't need to sit any shifts. My shooting and backward skating isn't where I hoped but it will come with time. I think I will pick up a new carbon fibre stick and retire the wood sticks as I really dont see myself breaking them often. I will follow your guys advice given earlier and get one this week.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

ZebraBlade posted:

I know none of you all stars care but I really want to share with someone (no friends in new town :( ) men's league is going great! Down 13 pounds in 2 weeks, skating more shifts every night, tonight I shouldn't need to sit any shifts. My shooting and backward skating isn't where I hoped but it will come with time. I think I will pick up a new carbon fibre stick and retire the wood sticks as I really dont see myself breaking them often. I will follow your guys advice given earlier and get one this week.

Good job!

My hockey season is officaly over after the weather forcast has changed from stable cold weather next week, to sunny and above freezing most of the time. Gonna start a club now though, and try to get funds for an artifical rink, or plastic-ice rink, so we might have a longer season than 1 month next year.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

13 lbs. in two weeks? Awesome! At the same time, though, you should try to slow down the weight loss a bit. For your health's sake, that is. But props for mustering up the willpower to get in shape, you have to be doing more than exercising to lose that much weight in such a short period of time.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
Yeah I asked my doctor about it and he said the first 20 or so drop very fast then it slows down a bit, he told me to come see him if I am losing more than 4-5 a week after next weekend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, I haven't lost a single goddamn pound since I started playing hockey. I've gone the exact opposite really.. up almost 10 pounds in the last year, mostly due to spending a lot time in the weight room (my muscle density is wayyy up, you just can't see it).

My health is certainly improving, I can skate longer and more effectively, but I still look exactly the same. :smith:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

7 hockey games in the next 30 days, plus a day-long 3-game tournament full of drinking and followed up by a house party :woop:

I love busy hockey season :woop::woop:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hungover in San Jose from the lovely Sharks game last night. First playoff game tonight. It is going to be awesome.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So it seems that a bunch of former CHL goons playing together in a beer league do not like it when a bunch of dorks completely outplay them. We beat them 7-1 in goals, they beat us 20-0 in unnecessary slashes to unpadded areas and fight solicitations.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 4, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ug, had a real stinker tonight. We already had a ton of dudes on our roster and our captain just decided to add a "ringer" so we could "score some goals". Of course everyone showed up tonight and the "ringer" is maybe average skilled compared to the rest of our team, at best. So we had 17 skaters and the bench was a mess so everyone was kind of cranky the whole game, and then we got down 7-1 and our goalie had a minor meltdown and guys started doing dumb gooney stuff. Combined with only getting 5 or 6 shifts it wasn't that fun of a game.

e: And no, I'm not a CHL goon that played Bewbies.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Purposely adding ringers to beer league is the douchiest thing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

shyguy posted:

Purposely adding ringers to beer league is the douchiest thing.

I don't think it would have been that bad because our league is not well-segregated and the skill range is really wide, so for our team adding a "ringer" would really be like, adding a player as skilled as the best players on almost every other team.

But it's really funny that they tried to do that and failed.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

17 skaters? Christ, that's waaay too many for a beer league. I hate those games where there are too many on the bench and I get, like, five shifts the whole game.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Gio posted:

17 skaters? Christ, that's waaay too many for a beer league. I hate those games where there are too many on the bench and I get, like, five shifts the whole game.

I run a team and we are maxed out with 25 people on our roster.. Granted a bunch of them are subs but we usually have 12 skaters a game and I think that is perfect.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I think 10-13 is pretty ideal but much more and you end up with weird lines and / people not getting enough ice time. I didn't feel like I had enough icetime to really empty the tank tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Despite the whole team being hungover, we pulled out a 7-0 win. First playoff win for our team in our 3 seasons :woop:

After we scored one of our goals, we were all banging our sticks on the boards. You know, like every team in history does since the dawn of time. The ref skated over and told us not to do it and if we kept it up, we'd get a bench penalty. Is this real?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 5, 2012