Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
You can buy them on PSN, and all/most PSN PSP games can be played on Vita. EP will probably also be on PSN when it comes out.

Just don't buy the UMDs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
How many endings are there supposed to be in DS2? I'm at the end of the 6th day, where Makoto and Ronaldo are fighting, and so far no one besides Ronaldo and Yamato have floated any ideas about what to do with Polaris

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

I bought Eternal Punishment on eBay for nothing:qq:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

How many endings are there supposed to be in DS2? I'm at the end of the 6th day, where Makoto and Ronaldo are fighting, and so far no one besides Ronaldo and Yamato have floated any ideas about what to do with Polaris

5. 4 choices, one of which has two paths.

I'll spoiler the basic ideals below.

Ronaldo's perfect egalitarianism
Yamato's Merit-Based Society
Daichi's "gently caress it, let's kill that rear end in a top hat."
Daichi's "gently caress it, let's rewrite the Akashic Record."
The Anguished One's "Let's reboot the world and give humanity freedom."

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

So at the end of day 2 in devil survivor 2, Keita joined my party, and he ended up doing all the work on the final boss of the day, including getting the last hit. I know it's pretty minor, but I was irritated that I let him soak up all that exp and then immediately leave the party, when I could have used that exp on someone who was sticking around.

I was wondering if that kind of thing happens a lot? I'm sitting here on day 3 now and concerned that if I let Airi get too much of the experience, the same thing will happen again.

Edit:

VV Awesome, thanks.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LibbyM posted:

So at the end of day 2 in devil survivor 2, Keita joined my party, and he ended up doing all the work on the final boss of the day, including getting the last hit. I know it's pretty minor, but I was irritated that I let him soak up all that exp and then immediately leave the party, when I could have used that exp on someone who was sticking around.

I was wondering if that kind of thing happens a lot? I'm sitting here on day 3 now and concerned that if I let Airi get too much of the experience, the same thing will happen again.

This isn't going to be a big deal. Any character who leaves your party in DS2 will rejoin very shortly. Keita will be back at the start of the next day and that is about the longest gap in the game for a character being out of your party. Also the characters outside of battle level super-fast so don't worry about your EXP being eaten overly much.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Quick question, do your S-links (or whatever they call them in this one) carry over in a NG+?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

Quick question, do your S-links (or whatever they call them in this one) carry over in a NG+?

No. You will retain any demon fusions you unlock for the 3rd and 5th levels but the first, second and fourth level bonuses are lost and so are any plot-related things unless you get them again on a NG+. Getting 3rd and 5th level FATE for someone you already befriended in a first runthrough gives no bonus instead.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 1, 2012

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I'm playing Strange Journey on my DS and I'm trying to do all the sub-missions, but I'm having trouble with the fight against Kazfiel and Aniel. The fight against Bishamonten was a pushover. I don't know why these guys are such a pain in the rear end when they are one sub-mission lesser than Bisha. I have to beat these guys now before I lock in my alignment. If I get passed them, I can start the sub-mission with Mother Harlot, change my alignment to neutral, and fight Harlot when I drat well want to.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for the tips to beat the day 4 boss, just having a demon with flight basically removed all the hard parts. :toot:

Another quick question, When does Holy Dance start appearing? I'm on day 6 now and I've yet to see it at all. I got drain but that can only carry you so far.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm really liking the way fusion dialog is related to each of the demon's lore in devil survivor 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thanks for the tips to beat the day 4 boss, just having a demon with flight basically removed all the hard parts. :toot:

Another quick question, When does Holy Dance start appearing? I'm on day 6 now and I've yet to see it at all. I got drain but that can only carry you so far.

It shows up somewhat late but it's pretty easy to get. A lot of late-game demons start using it. The elemental dances do a fine replacement as long as you keep a good variety or use drain to compensate.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Beat Aniel and Kazfiel. Went in there with a level 64 me, a level 64 Israfel, a level 40 Zacccoum with Acid Breath, and a level 1 Slime.

It's going be awhile before I can take on Mother Harlot, though!

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I beat the final boss of day 3. I'm pretty sure you were only supposed to be able to hurt him when he splits, but the npc helping me out in the battle killed him when he was in his damage immune mode. Was kind of funny. I totally would have lost my first attempt and had to try again if the npc helper hadn't been cheating.

Do Watchful and Vigilant stack?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Playing Devil Survivor 2. The boss on Day 2, Merak, was really giving me trouble until I realized I should ignore his missiles and the other demons, and just rush him - killed him in one try after that.

If anyone else is having trouble on that boss, I also noticed a few other things are helpful:

-Regarding the two demons, Moh Shuvuu and Tenong Cut, kill their support but not the leaders. They keep respawning otherwise.
-Regarding the Merak Missiles, having a Toubyou with Evil Wave and attacking from afar prevents the missiles from "Guarding," making them so much easier to kill.

EDIT: I remember Watchful and Vigilant stacking in Strange Journey, so I'm going to assume that they'll stack here.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

Playing Devil Survivor 2. The boss on Day 2, Merak, was really giving me trouble until I realized I should ignore his missiles and the other demons, and just rush him - killed him in one try after that.

If anyone else is having trouble on that boss, I also noticed a few other things are helpful:

-Regarding the two demons, Moh Shuvuu and Tenong Cut, kill their support but not the leaders. They keep respawning otherwise.
-Regarding the Merak Missiles, having a Toubyou with Evil Wave and attacking from afar prevents the missiles from "Guarding," making them so much easier to kill.

EDIT: I remember Watchful and Vigilant stacking in Strange Journey, so I'm going to assume that they'll stack here.

Also, don't end turns in front of him unless you really feel like making the fight tougher than it needs to be. Animal Leg demons make the fight pretty trivial.

Speaking of Day 2, I found the "Great idea!" conversation loop to be funnier than it had much right to be mostly because I cannot see the MC's smiling face without immediately thinking of :downs:

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 2, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there some sort of drawback to using a Kishin demon that I've overlooked or just not stated? My MC has basically been glued to one since they became available since it was a really powerful strat in DS1 but it takes FOREVER for him to ever get a turn past his first, every time a demon tries to skirmish him it increases the amount of time before he gets to act again, and it's gotten to the point (on a very annoying fight on the last day) where all the enemies have had THREE TURNS before I could act ONCE past the start. I never really notice this happening to my other party members so what's the deal?

e: It's not really a problem against normal enemies but when theres a bunch of enemies with chaos/evil wave you literally get turnlocked by them.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 2, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there some sort of drawback to using a Kishin demon that I've overlooked or just not stated? My MC has basically been glued to one since they became available since it was a really powerful strat in DS1 but it takes FOREVER for him to ever get a turn past his first, every time a demon tries to skirmish him it increases the amount of time before he gets to act again, and it's gotten to the point (on a very annoying fight on the last day) where all the enemies have had THREE TURNS before I could act ONCE past the start. I never really notice this happening to my other party members so what's the deal?

e: It's not really a problem against normal enemies but when theres a bunch of enemies with chaos/evil wave you literally get turnlocked by them.

You have to pay the turn cost for both attacks, which is relatively hefty. Also you may not be investing in AGI which has a slightly more noticeable cost in DS2.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Does anyone have any tips for Day 7 Yamato Path in the fight against Benedsnatch? I under stand the gimmicks and the like but gently caress, it seems like it would require a very specific set of demons to tackle and I really don't have the drive to go looking through everything hoping to find a useful combination. I know I need a Null Ice/Fire for the first form and I think a Null Force/Phys for the second one and that the demons with those resistances cannot be using physical attacks and need to be magic based.

I was really liking the game up until this fight but there is just so much poo poo going on it it just throws it at you and it just seems to punish you for not having a specific setup in advance.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

MotU posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Day 7 Yamato Path in the fight against Benedsnatch? I under stand the gimmicks and the like but gently caress, it seems like it would require a very specific set of demons to tackle and I really don't have the drive to go looking through everything hoping to find a useful combination. I know I need a Null Ice/Fire for the first form and I think a Null Force/Phys for the second one and that the demons with those resistances cannot be using physical attacks and need to be magic based.

I was really liking the game up until this fight but there is just so much poo poo going on it it just throws it at you and it just seems to punish you for not having a specific setup in advance.

I'm on Ronaldo's Path and is it the same thing where you have to guard trumpeter and he splits off into 4? I just kept two people down on the bottom until benedsnatch would send the 4 things down. Once those were done I just sent everyone up and used MC to get him down enough where he would split, and then I found it pretty easy to kill all of them. Also, I just kept anti-most and reflect physical on the main character and give him the auto revive skill, which is useful for those situations specifically.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Cityinthesea posted:

I'm on Ronaldo's Path and is it the same thing where you have to guard trumpeter and he splits off into 4? I just kept two people down on the bottom until benedsnatch would send the 4 things down. Once those were done I just sent everyone up and used MC to get him down enough where he would split, and then I found it pretty easy to kill all of them. Also, I just kept anti-most and reflect physical on the main character and give him the auto revive skill, which is useful for those situations specifically.

Once he splits into 4, does he still have the Human Skill Immunity? My MC is physical so I don't have the Passives to drop for the immunities, but if the 4 mini ones still have that skill then I don't need to worry about dropping them

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MotU posted:

Once he splits into 4, does he still have the Human Skill Immunity? My MC is physical so I don't have the Passives to drop for the immunities, but if the 4 mini ones still have that skill then I don't need to worry about dropping them

Only one of the 4 has it.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Haha welp I just loaded my Suspend save that I turned off after they split and Fumi got 1 Rounded and said "gently caress it".

I basically suicided Io into one of them, my MC killed the Phys Weak one in a single hit, then Otome (who had Absorb Phys and Anti-Most) just tanked the last two as I revived her demons with Samerecarm.

Every single fight that is difficult in this game I end up accidentally beating, I don't get it. It like it is almost better to throw strategy out the window and just brute force the fights while screaming at your DS. It seems that every fight either ends with me or the enemy getting reduced to a stain on the ground within a single round. Its like two retards running at each other knives. You don't know how it'll end, but you know it'll be fast and it'll be messy.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

While the subject of day 7's are being discussed, anyone happen to know if there is an "easy" ending like Yuzus in 1? I did the Amane route first in that one, and since I will be getting them all anyway, would like to just make the first time around easy as possible this time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

While the subject of day 7's are being discussed, anyone happen to know if there is an "easy" ending like Yuzus in 1? I did the Amane route first in that one, and since I will be getting them all anyway, would like to just make the first time around easy as possible this time.

The easiest path would be The Anguished One since you get a character you can literally make pretty much invincible.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Question about the last boss. In its third phase, do you have to kill the sides or can you just bumrush the middle? My last attempt had me so wounded the sides just killed me before I got to act, but if I'm planning for the next go It'd be nice to know if I need the extra mobility for that phase or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Question about the last boss. In its third phase, do you have to kill the sides or can you just bumrush the middle? My last attempt had me so wounded the sides just killed me before I got to act, but if I'm planning for the next go It'd be nice to know if I need the extra mobility for that phase or not.

You can just bumrush the middle. It can blast you with a giant laser but otherwise it's way easier than trying to deal with all three parts attacking while you whittle them down.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

LibbyM posted:

Do Watchful and Vigilant stack?

I've also noticed that the game specifically tells you when skills don't stack. So unless it says "Does not stack," I presume you're fine.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Devil Survivor 2 may not be the best SMT game, but I think it's definitely the most fun. You just get so absurdly powerful! Combining Omega and Touki demons in a physical team late game lets you wipe anything without Reflect Phys almost by default, and it's absolutely glorious. And there's so many teammates to choose from! If you're not playing the game with a team full of people who have twice as much Magic or Strength as they do their next-highest stat, you're playing it wrong.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I'm on day 2 of Devil Survivor 2, is going as a Physical MC viable? People said avoid it like the plague in the first one, but I did it there too and didn't have very much trouble. Right now, it seems really good that I can one-shot some of the weaker demons, but will this come back to bite me?

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Momomo posted:

So I'm on day 2 of Devil Survivor 2, is going as a Physical MC viable?

I'm on the 7th day and its been pretty okay for the most part. Very little i've run in to has had reflect phys or even been strong since pierce.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Momomo posted:

So I'm on day 2 of Devil Survivor 2, is going as a Physical MC viable? People said avoid it like the plague in the first one, but I did it there too and didn't have very much trouble. Right now, it seems really good that I can one-shot some of the weaker demons, but will this come back to bite me?

Physical builds were kind of bad in the first game because about half of the teams you faced in the late game had at least one demon that reflected physical (loving Murmurs) but that is a lot less common in 2.

There is still only enough skills to field one physical character at a time (St or Null phys are nearly ubiquitous on the last two days so pierce is required) but you have so many characters that you'll have plenty of options. I highly recommend you get your agility into the low to mid 20's even if that means delaying 40 strength. Multi-Strike with high agility does way more damage than Hassohappa and the multiple hits are good for cutting through Tetrakarns and Wall as long as you have Reflect Phys set.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I can't believe people are already finished with the game, it came out on Tuesday.

I just started on Day 3, does the optional fight with Ghost Q show back up later? Because I'm only level 18 right now and I can't figure out how to get to it quickly enough to kill it before the minions catch up, heal it, and then wipe the floor with me. I can't imagine how you're supposed to do this solo at the level range you're supposed to be at the beginning of Day 3, and it doesn't seem to make sense as a NG+ thing because if you've completed the game once already you don't need special mid-level demons.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Momomo posted:

A big difference between ds1 and 2, is that you get a lot of npc's who build like a player would. Like, characters who have all into magic and barely anything into the other tree's.
It's less crucial your mc be a super magic bomb because you have other options for that anyway.

I think the one big thing about choosing what your MC will be is that only the MC can crack 3 or 4 skills off of one boss (The fate system lets you do that at rank 2 with party members), and generally magic dance skills are better at burning down a boss than physical skills. That will matter less once you get pierce though.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How difficult is Nocturne? I've been playing Persona 4 and loving the poo poo out of it so I grabbed Nocturne on a whim only to find out it's supposed to be hard as gently caress :ohdear:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You've played Persona 4, so you probably already know what the gently caress everything does. You'll be fine, there are just a few infamous roadblocks.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Assassinate is the most wonderful skill on a Physical MC. If you don't feel like completely wiping a group, just have your two demons guard and assassinate the team leader (as long as he doesn't have endure and the other two demons with him don't have any of the ____ Soul abilities). I'm consistently critting for around 1000-1300 on day 7 with it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Douche Bag posted:

How difficult is Nocturne? I've been playing Persona 4 and loving the poo poo out of it so I grabbed Nocturne on a whim only to find out it's supposed to be hard as gently caress :ohdear:
It's just harder than most JRPGs, there's not quite as much difference between it and other SMT titles. You'll want to pay more attention to team construction, and yeah there are some roadblocks here and there.

It's so much fun, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

There is still only enough skills to field one physical character at a time (St or Null phys are nearly ubiquitous on the last two days so pierce is required)

This isn't entirely true, actually. In addition to Pierce, you can also get access to Pierce+ (A team skill that gives everyone Pierce) and Almighty Hit (physical attack with an Almighty property) and Piercing Hit (Physical attack that pierces defenses.) You can actually field multiple physical characters without suffering a large loss. A character with Pierce + 2 demons with Pierce + Rage Soul is a pretty hilarious combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

It's just harder than most JRPGs, there's not quite as much difference between it and other SMT titles. You'll want to pay more attention to team construction, and yeah there are some roadblocks here and there.

It's so much fun, though.

How does the story compare to P4? As much as I like everything else about it (P4) what really caught my interest is the story.