Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nenonen posted:

The 'fix' would be to add separate block types for each possible iteration, eg. cobblestone slab on top of brick slab, brick slab on top of stone tile slab, wood slab on top of sandstone slab etc. and then provide code support for all of these. There's 6 different slabs, that means there are... what, 30 combinations needed? And more if additional slabs get introduced.
I'm pretty sure there are mods that allow you to slice up blocks however you want and mush them together in combinations. It's not a matter of can't, it's a matter of won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:

Vertigus posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at the guy thinking that a browser formatting fuckup is really kas deciding to revamp his website.

He wouldn't be the only one! I'm Kas' lapddog and web-lackey new webmaster and have been wracking my brains trying to fix this (there's a brand new customiser in the works so it's a moot issue really) and I hate telling people the only solution is to use a different browser :saddowns:

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Nenonen posted:

There's 6 different slabs, that means there are... what, 30 combinations needed? And more if additional slabs get introduced.

:eng101:n*n-1, where n=number of slab types

That's only for mixed configurations. It'd be n*n if you include double-slabs of the same type.

The correct way to do it, though, is to make special code for slabs that allows lower- and upper-slabs to occupy the same location. Then you would be able to remove one slab without removing the double-slab.

The Yellow Ant fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 3, 2012

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

The Yellow Ant posted:

The correct way to do it, though, is to make special code for slabs that allows lower- and upper-slabs to occupy the same location. Then you would be able to remove one slab without removing the double-slab.

I think how RedPower does it for its microblocks is to use tile entities for each sub-block within the block, as you can have multiple tile entities per block coordinate. The main block ID just becomes an indicator that "hey, this block is subdivided, see the tile entities for details."

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Halibut Barn posted:

I think how RedPower does it for its microblocks is to use tile entities for each sub-block within the block, as you can have multiple tile entities per block coordinate. The main block ID just becomes an indicator that "hey, this block is subdivided, see the tile entities for details."

I was just gonna post that it would be cool if Minecraft did this normally. It's not too bad if you're willing to allocate a little extra memory every time the game found one of these special blocks, especially since they don't occur naturally.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Vib Rib posted:

I was getting ready to set up a multiplayer server with just a friend or two. However, if I don't have the minecraft server.jar right now, there's no way for me to get the 1.1 server.jar from here on out, is there? Because they updated?

I mean it's too late to get an older server .jar now that they've updated right?
E: Whoops I guess it doesn't matter anyway because I don't have a vanilla 1.1 jar anyway and my friend sure as hell doesn't. Guess we have to play unmodded multiplayer until everything updates in a few weeks.

You could always use MCNostalgia to backdate your 1.2 jar. And for the server jar, why not just use one of bukkit's many releases for 1.1?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Quick question, I've YouTubed how to change a game mode for a world, Ive found a program that does it apparently, but just wondering if there's an easier/simpler way?

I've spent ages walking around in survival to find a village but I've wasted so much time. Started a creative world and flew around until I found one

Now I just need to convert! Will it gently caress up the spawn?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

simosimo posted:

Quick question, I've YouTubed how to change a game mode for a world, Ive found a program that does it apparently, but just wondering if there's an easier/simpler way?

I've spent ages walking around in survival to find a village but I've wasted so much time. Started a creative world and flew around until I found one

I don't know about converting, but the quick and easy way would be just to start a new game using the same seed. If you don't know the seed, press F3. (although then you will need to walk to that village again... but at least you know its coordinates)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Nenonen posted:

I don't know about converting, but the quick and easy way would be just to start a new game using the same seed. If you don't know the seed, press F3. (although then you will need to walk to that village again... but at least you know its coordinates)

Works great! Managed to re-find my village again yipee!

I love minecraft...but I find playing singleplayer isn't the same. Me and a friend have hosted a server between us, but I have to run, and it can only run when I am online (so no one else can play)

Is there a way (Free) to somehow run a local PERSISTENTLY ONLINE server somehow? Even if it is under my own web hosting, not sure how that would work. FTPs or something?!

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

simosimo posted:

Works great! Managed to re-find my village again yipee!

I love minecraft...but I find playing singleplayer isn't the same. Me and a friend have hosted a server between us, but I have to run, and it can only run when I am online (so no one else can play)

Is there a way (Free) to somehow run a local PERSISTENTLY ONLINE server somehow? Even if it is under my own web hosting, not sure how that would work. FTPs or something?!

The obvious answer is if you have a spare PC sitting around, you just throw the server on there and run it. Otherwise, no, you need to pay for hosting. Akliz is pretty great and their cheapest plan is three bucks a month.

I mean, come on. Three bucks. You have three bucks.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

King Hotpants posted:

The obvious answer is if you have a spare PC sitting around, you just throw the server on there and run it. Otherwise, no, you need to pay for hosting. Akliz is pretty great and their cheapest plan is three bucks a month.

I mean, come on. Three bucks. You have three bucks.

Certainly do!

But are there limits and such. I doubt it would be more than 2-3 people at one time. Can you not go exploring much as the world would be bigger and etc etc?

Also I am UK based, would this be laggy for us? (the above people i mean)

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 3, 2012

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

simosimo posted:

Certainly do!

But are there limits and such. I doubt it would be more than 2-3 people at one time. Can you not go exploring much as the world would be bigger and etc etc?

Also I am UK based, would this be laggy for us? (the above people i mean)

Crash Bandicoot posted:

Just wanted to say that the server I have with you guys is great. It works lag-free for a bunch of UK players, the amount of customisability is awesome and I like your prices.

The support guys are awesome too, really helpful and they know way more than me about Minecraft admin so their assistance is really appreciated. It's been a while since I saw support staff that were more than useless phone drones.

Thanks a bunch, I'll keep using you guys until all my players get bored and quit.

I'm starting to sound like Akliz's marketing department, but it ought to work fine. Low RAM servers won't be as able to run bukkit or use a bunch of plugins or mods but should be perfectly okay for 2-3 people playing vanilla.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3419908

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
We don't have mods, just vanilla and me and my mate, maybe another chronie!
Will definitely look into it! for £22 you can't argue with persistent hosting!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So has anyone figured out how to reliably turn a villager in to a light sensor? in theory you should be able to squeeze the whole contraption in to a 2x3 space with a pressure switch on one side and door in the middle with redstone dust running under it. The villager AI seems to... break down when you hit a certain size foot print. I'm hoping to get it small enough that I can entomb a villager in the basement of each building to power my lights

Anybody?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 4, 2012

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
So now I have my own persistent minecraft server (thanks king hotpants!)

Thanks to jebs world updates, am I not going to get hosed by a new update now thanks to his new coding? I have longed for a world that has hours of work in, that has not had to be reset/updated or mucked around with in anyway.

Is now that time I can just proceed without worry?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Use an array of villagers hooked to AND gates, I saw a video on it earlier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oRnMzirK2o
Here's another one that's slightly older, don't know how well it works personally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7zct30KH0

simosimo posted:

So now I have my own persistent minecraft server (thanks king hotpants!)

Thanks to jebs world updates, am I not going to get hosed by a new update now thanks to his new coding? I have longed for a world that has hours of work in, that has not had to be reset/updated or mucked around with in anyway.

Is now that time I can just proceed without worry?

I'm not really sure what you mean

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think this will be one of the last updates that'll 'require' a map reset, at least for a while. Biome updates only usually require you to explore outwards moreso, and new natural block types are like that too.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Here's another one that's slightly older, don't know how well it works personally:

I'm not really sure what you mean

Guy above me gets it.

Will a new update require a world-reset :) ?

I have made many cool worlds before, but then an update comes along and messes stuff up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Are AND gates still broken in multiplayer? Or is the sequence that I place the torches particularly important? I can't seem to get the gates to work reliably now. Testing manually with switches.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 4, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Why are Iron Golems so goddamned uncooperative? You have to make a huge fence (or a tedious moat) to pen them in, and I swear they know this and make every effort to find ways to jump over fences and wander off into the forest, never to be seen again. A pumpkin and 36 iron is a lot to spend to make a defense that consistently runs off and gets trapped in a pit 9 chunks away.

Also, my villagers did the same thing a few other goons were describing: Over a period of several days, they all began congregating further and further south of their village, until one day there was only one left, and then none. :iiam:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Someone look through the Minecraft code for a subroutine labelled "Roanoke" :tinfoil:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Just wanted to say I'm loving the Jungle biome (its my fave) with the massive trees + new height limit. It's really a breath of fresh air, exploring is fun again! I used the Jungle? seed and it's pretty nice, you guys found any other seeds with a nice jungle?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

So, quick favor to ask of the thread. I'm in the process of setting up a serious-business dedicated server for community super building - basically a server with subdivided worlds devoted to specific projects. For example, we may be making Gotham City on one world, or Columbia from Bioshock: Infinite on another. The whole server then is very specifically designed to encourage community work.

The only obstacle I'm having right now, of all things, is the name for the server. Once I get that figured I can get the site/server rolling in short order.

I beseech you, goons: anyone have any good name suggestions?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I'm getting this error whenever I try to run the game:

quote:

Minecraft has crashed!
----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to support@mojang.com.
Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 141ccf11 --------
Generated 3/3/12 5:39 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.0.0
Java: 1.6.0_21, Sun Microsystems Inc.
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
LWJGL: 2.4.2
OpenGL: null version null, null

java.lang.IllegalStateException: glGetString(GL_VERSION) returned null - possibly caused by missing current context.
at org.lwjgl.opengl.GLContext.getSupportedExtensions(GLContext.java:187)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextCapabilities.initAllStubs(ContextCapabilities.java:4355)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextCapabilities.<init>(ContextCapabilities.java:4661)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.GLContext.useContext(GLContext.java:352)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Context.makeCurrent(Context.java:183)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.makeCurrent(Display.java:730)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.makeCurrentAndSetSwapInterval(Display.java:896)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:860)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:205)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:644)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT 93d6ae04 ----------

This is from a Technic install, but if I try to run vanilla it does the exact same thing - same exact error. I tried to look it up but all I found were other people with the same issue and no answers. Anyone know what's going on?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Google Butt posted:

Just wanted to say I'm loving the Jungle biome (its my fave) with the massive trees + new height limit. It's really a breath of fresh air, exploring is fun again! I used the Jungle? seed and it's pretty nice, you guys found any other seeds with a nice jungle?

I enjoy the seed 'Golems' (without the quotes, but with a capital g). Huge island, very large jungle.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JamSessionEin posted:

So, quick favor to ask of the thread. I'm in the process of setting up a serious-business dedicated server for community super building - basically a server with subdivided worlds devoted to specific projects. For example, we may be making Gotham City on one world, or Columbia from Bioshock: Infinite on another. The whole server then is very specifically designed to encourage community work.

The only obstacle I'm having right now, of all things, is the name for the server. Once I get that figured I can get the site/server rolling in short order.

JamSessionEin Presents: Cream-of-Plenty's "Bungopolis"

Schwarzwald posted:

What kind of houses are in the village? What types of material, etc.?

Just the ordinary huts they spawned with that constitute villages. They stayed there for a few nights, and then I started noticing there were fewer and fewer of them. I tried to put some doors on their lovely little huts so they would come back, but to no avail. Eventually they all disappeared.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why are Iron Golems so goddamned uncooperative? You have to make a huge fence (or a tedious moat) to pen them in, and I swear they know this and make every effort to find ways to jump over fences and wander off into the forest, never to be seen again. A pumpkin and 36 iron is a lot to spend to make a defense that consistently runs off and gets trapped in a pit 9 chunks away.

Also, my villagers did the same thing a few other goons were describing: Over a period of several days, they all began congregating further and further south of their village, until one day there was only one left, and then none. :iiam:

What kind of houses are in the village? What types of material, etc.?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

JamSessionEin posted:

Call it GangCraft, because that has connotations of cameraderie, teamwork, and working to achieve a common goal only to abandon it once you're finished with it. It also makes me think of youth violence, so it's cool and edgy.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I found my very first village ever, in my new 1.2 world, and began to build my house there. Eventually, though, all the villagers disappeared. I assumed they all died off.

How can I spawn new villagers?

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

JamSessionEin posted:

Operation: Infinite Neckbeard.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Not sure how nice it is because I didn't spend much time exploring, but Jumanji spawned me right in the middle of a jungle biome.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

JamSessionEin Presents: Cream-of-Plenty's "Bungopolis"

JamSessionEin Presents: Super Bungopolis: Electric Boogaloo: Dubstep Protocol III: Hug It Out Edition, A Spike Lee Joint

or JSEP:SB:EB:DPIII:HIOE,ASLJ

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
So wife and I tried to play just vanilla 1.2 like we were playing vanilla 1.1. We created a new world except there's just random pieces of world that get you stuck like you're on a fence post way back in the day where you'd bob a bit. There's some sections of world that just refuse to load until you log off and log back in. Even then, my wife is getting stuck in places and then it makes her take damage like she's suffocating. The game is entirely unplayable for us two and I've never never never had a problem hosting a server. Is this something others are seeing on servers or is it just me?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Revol posted:

I found my very first village ever, in my new 1.2 world, and began to build my house there. Eventually, though, all the villagers disappeared. I assumed they all died off.

How can I spawn new villagers?

I think what's happening is that villagers leave their houses at dawn. Problem is, the zombies that spent the night bashing the wooden doors are still there at dawn, and between dawn and when the zombies die from burning, the villagers get killed. Golems are supposed to kill the zombies, but villages aren't always big enough to have golems.

As for getting more, I think the only way to do that would be to set up some convoluted system of minecarts to bring villagers in from another village.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

simosimo posted:

Install Not Enough Items. It's a recipe book and cheat mod all in one, and it has a button that lets you toggle creative mode. You may have to disable the cheat mode lock in the config file in makes once you run Minecraft with it. If the Recipe Mode button in options doesn't do anything, it's locked.

poemdexter posted:

So wife and I tried to play just vanilla 1.2 like we were playing vanilla 1.1. We created a new world except there's just random pieces of world that get you stuck like you're on a fence post way back in the day where you'd bob a bit. There's some sections of world that just refuse to load until you log off and log back in. Even then, my wife is getting stuck in places and then it makes her take damage like she's suffocating. The game is entirely unplayable for us two and I've never never never had a problem hosting a server. Is this something others are seeing on servers or is it just me?

1.2's multiplayer is hosed. Play on 1.1 until 1.2's official release.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PalmTreeFun posted:

1.2 has been official released for a few days now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I haven't had any problems with 1.2.3 vanilla SMP. No getting stuck or chunks not loading.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

PalmTreeFun posted:

Hahaha! It's been official. Goes to show you how hosed it is to not have a proper testing suite or official QA team working on software.

Nenonen posted:

I haven't had any problems with 1.2.3 vanilla SMP. No getting stuck or chunks not loading.

It's only been around jungle areas.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

poemdexter posted:

It's only been around jungle areas.

...what has been? Like I said, no getting stuck or chunks not loading. Neither in jungle or elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

...what has been? Like I said, no getting stuck or chunks not loading. Neither in jungle or elsewhere.

The sticking... :confused:

Are you playing on an old map? I've tried two different seeds and both led to sticking in random spots. What seed are you using? Maybe I just got unlucky.