Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

spookygonk posted:

Our four ex-battery hens have just gone past the two months mark with us and look at the difference with Pip!

(click for bigger)

Awh, definitely looks a lot happy and healthier!
How are they with people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
As promised, here are some pictures. I still don't have any videos uploaded, but they should come soon. First up is the three of them together, before Vinegar (the Ancona) started going eyeball crazy.

And closeups! First up is the Black Australorp, we named her Penguin.

This little one is my favorite. She's the one who got her eye pecked so bad that it wouldn't open, but I swabbed it with a q-tip and some water this afternoon and it's open and looking good again. She's the Americana and I named her Chocobo. She pecked the girlfriend's cat straight on the nose today too, such a badass.

And finally Vinegar, named for generally being a oval office. I've gotten one response so far to the craigslist ad, so she may not be around here much longer. Here's a pic anyway.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Awww baby chicks are seriously the best thing. :neckbeard: I'm so excited for chickam~

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Take lots of pics. They grow extremely fast. I wish I had taken more, but they double in size every week.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Well now I have two broody hens, Rusty the Angry Bird and Megatron. We call them the culecas (mexican spanish slang for broody). Because Flake is still a bit under the weather I leave her locked in the run with Spaghetti and Godzilla, and I leave Roo with the culecas and Dust outside.

Hopefully not letting them have access to the coop will make them get over their broodiness, but I've noticed that Rusty now comes running to me all fluffed up, and makes a very distinctive bokbokbok she normally doesn't do, and like a dog she tries to make me go to the coop and open it for her, or unlock the run gate for her. She also tries to jump onto my back if i'm bending down, or my arms so she can climb to my shoulder and perch there. :psyduck:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Well now I have two broody hens, Rusty the Angry Bird and Megatron. We call them the culecas (mexican spanish slang for broody). Because Flake is still a bit under the weather I leave her locked in the run with Spaghetti and Godzilla, and I leave Roo with the culecas and Dust outside.

Hopefully not letting them have access to the coop will make them get over their broodiness, but I've noticed that Rusty now comes running to me all fluffed up, and makes a very distinctive bokbokbok she normally doesn't do, and like a dog she tries to make me go to the coop and open it for her, or unlock the run gate for her. She also tries to jump onto my back if i'm bending down, or my arms so she can climb to my shoulder and perch there. :psyduck:

Oh! The broody drama! LOL! :D

Take some more videos, Chido! The broody hen show is so amusing.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Chido posted:

She also tries to jump onto my back if i'm bending down, or my arms so she can climb to my shoulder and perch there. :psyduck:

Get an eyepatch, and you'll have the makings of a Farm Pirate. :yarr:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

Oh! The broody drama! LOL! :D

Take some more videos, Chido! The broody hen show is so amusing.

Ask, and you shall receive. Please don't mind my robe, we recorded that earlier today and we all were on our pajamas.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Ask, and you shall receive. Please don't mind my robe, we recorded that earlier today and we all were on our pajamas.

LOL! That was great! I love seeing Rusty trying to figure out how to get back into the coop! You can see the little gears in her tiny brain turning. And then she hopes that by sucking up to you, that she'll be let back into the coop! :D

I like how Roostroyer was all "I'll just stay out HERE in the yard...AWAY from you crazy broody hens!"

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

So I saw this Black Polish:

Now I really want one... Just look at that smashing hairdoo on that Roo!

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
Even wilder than Polish are Appenzeller Spitzhauben. They have mohawks!
http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Appenzeller-Spitzhauben-B11.aspx

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Zaran posted:

So I saw this Black Polish:

Now I really want one... Just look at that smashing hairdoo on that Roo!

Gentlemen, we have done it. We've bred the Albert Einstein of chickens.

E=MCbawk!

BroccoliIntolerant
Oct 24, 2010
New keeper here as well, our new house came with...
1 male and 1 female jungle fowl
2 Asil cockerels
3 Asil hens
A black cockerel and hens- 3 Warrens, a cornish and a fluffy orange warren imposter
Also a Bronze stag and his 3 girls!

Oh yeah and a LOT of rats :$

Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end
They're all being kept as pets, rather than for meat, 1 Asil and his hen are kept separate but otherwise they're all together
I seem to be spending a frightening amount of time, just 'quickly' visiting

Lots of work to be done in the pen, it hasn't been cleaned for probably a year, they all choose to roost outside the turkey hens have no where comfy to lay and no proper shelter until now etc etc...I'm adding loads of greens into their diet, planting crops just for them, cabbage, chickweed etc, they all seem healthy and happy and I'm getting 3-4 eggs a day from my 4 layers :)

Barry and Crispy Chrissy chicken

Mary

Sage the asil hen

Glen my stag and Garfunkel the Asil cock

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
News on Twitter about last year's ChickAM Chicks encountering their first snowfall!

Twitter posted:

First day of being snowed on for the chickens. The older hens grumped into the coop, youngsters stood out in snow looking confused.

They all eventually enjoyed the novelty of the snow, thankfully it wasn't too cold and they had fun.

Everything is frosted with glittery snow tonight & very pretty, although tomorrow they are calling for icy conditions and winds.

And apparently, VS and co. want a lot more eggs than incubator room...

Twitter posted:

Uh Oh: Incubators can reliably hatch no more than 22 eggs each, total 44 eggs. Current 'want' list = 60-80 eggs. This is bad.

No hens broody right now, due to their new digs they haven't settled in enough. Some MAY be broody by mid-March to hatch extra eggs...

...but we can't depend on it. What to do with extra eggs come hatch time?! Not hatching them would be an absolute sin.

And NO, I'm not going to buy a 3rd incubator. I'm already enough of a crazy chicken lady without going into a chick production line.

Fact is, we're gonna HAVE to whittle down or hatch list to no more than 4 different breeds.

Who wouldn't want to see a THIRD incubator? :dance: We should encourage more hatching!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Is it sad that this is the first thread that I check every day?

I love living vicariously though all of you chicken keepers. Thank you for amusing me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Personally I think she should buy two more incubators. And add some peahens and quail to her flock.

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

WrathofKhan posted:

Even wilder than Polish are Appenzeller Spitzhauben. They have mohawks!
http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Appenzeller-Spitzhauben-B11.aspx

I've got a trio of Spitzhaubens, the roo is the only one with a close to correct crest though, th 2 pullets both have Polish-like crests. I'm still really interested in them, but finding good quality stock seems almost impossible. I've sold off a bunch of Easter Eggers to make room for some show quality Light Brahmas later in the year. Here's my Spitz roo, name suggestions welcome:

And one where you can see one of the poorly crested pullets in the background:

These guys came from My Pet Chicken, so as far as quality goes, YMMV.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Ugh... I'm having a terribly stupid problem.
I'm tending my mother's pet flock for her of late and, while I enjoy all of them individually, there's too many goddam roosters. There's seven hens and FIVE ROOSTERS. It wasn't my mother's intention or plan to get so many roosters. She bought a mixed lot of chicks from a local flock consisting of orpingtons, barred rocks, and a few Ameraucanas. All three of the rocks turned out to be roos as well as one of the buffs and one of the Ameraucanas.

My mother knows there's too goddam many roosters. She knows that the constant bickering and competition between the roos is terrorizing her hens to the point that they refuse to come out from under the house to eat unless the roosters are all the way at the other end of the yard.
Mom is loathe to get rid of the excess roosters at just any old place because she wants them to go to someone who she knows will take care of them properly and won't mistreat them.

It's all just too drat frustrating.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Eat them. Seriously, just cull the ones you don't want. There's nothing wrong with that.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

You could try listing the extra roos on Craigslist and finding them new homes.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

SolanaSkyes posted:

I've got a trio of Spitzhaubens, the roo is the only one with a close to correct crest though, th 2 pullets both have Polish-like crests. I'm still really interested in them, but finding good quality stock seems almost impossible. I've sold off a bunch of Easter Eggers to make room for some show quality Light Brahmas later in the year. Here's my Spitz roo, name suggestions welcome:

Really the only proper name is Billy Idol.

I picked up some lumber tonight for the foundation of what will be a Chicken Taj Mahal once I'm done with it. I've got a dozen chicks arriving next week and their temporary home is already set up. I'm going to conduct a day-long test of the heat lamp system on Saturday to make sure I don't burn the outbuilding down. The weather is supposed to be a bit warmer than normal next week I think so hopefully the chicks aren't too stressed out when they arrive.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Maximusi posted:

Eat them. Seriously, just cull the ones you don't want. There's nothing wrong with that.

That wouldn't fly with my mother. Heh heh. Fly. Chickens. (Shoot me.)
It's been jokingly proposed in the past, but it's not a viable suggestion given that they're, well, pets.

Inveigle posted:

You could try listing the extra roos on Craigslist and finding them new homes.

I've suggested that before. She's reluctant to have "some random stranger" take them to be used for cockfighting or whatever. :allears:
I'm tempted to list them without her knowledge while she's away because those poor hens need a break and it isn't fair to the roosters to be in that situation either.

Over all, though, I do have one absolute favorite bird. Her name is Lucille and she's a lovely silver orpington who always runs to the gate to greet me. She also purrs at me like a cat while following me around. :3:
(She also lays the largest, darkest shelled eggs out of the whole lot)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

So, we've got 10 chicks coming tomorrow. They are from Cackle Hatchery and shipped yesterday. Five are easter eggers and 5 are silver laced wyandottes. We went and picked up chicken supplies and I'm setting up the brooder tonight and I've got a question. Should we use medicated or unmedicated chick food?

If it makes a difference, we don't have any other chickens nearby and there have never been any in our yard before this. The birds will be inside in a basement room until they are ~10-12 weeks.

tokomon posted:

I've suggested that before. She's reluctant to have "some random stranger" take them to be used for cockfighting or whatever. :allears:
I'm tempted to list them without her knowledge while she's away because those poor hens need a break and it isn't fair to the roosters to be in that situation either.

The whole situation is really not fair to the animals. She should not buy unsexed chicks if she can't handle dealing with the males. It's just silly. Even moreso since she sees them as pets and should presumably care about their quality of life.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I don't know all that much about bird biology, but I know roosters can be caponized (neutered). Now, whether you could find a vet competent to do it, I dunno. I also don't know if it would change anything - I know with some animals an adult male will often retain intact characteristics if he's not neutered young. But if neutering were achievable and would have the result of calming the now-capons down, do you think your mom would consider that?

I know my aunt felt really terrible for one of her billy goats because he was too closely related to her females to be allowed to breed, and he was losing his mind. After she got him wethered he lost all his buckish behaviors in a matter of a couple of weeks. He no longer tries to fight her other billy and her other billy couldn't care less about him either, and the nannies are fine with him now too. He can be penned with anybody and has never tried to mount the girls or anything.

I don't know much about chickens, but to me that sounds like a perfect solution for too many males.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

The whole situation is really not fair to the animals. She should not buy unsexed chicks if she can't handle dealing with the males. It's just silly. Even moreso since she sees them as pets and should presumably care about their quality of life.

I know. All the way around. She purchased her chicks from local people and... well... Not likely to be sexed. They're all from people who, while very nice, are basically just backyard hobbyists or small time local consumption types.
Beyond the rooster issue, the birds are otherwise well taken care of and are visited by a veterinarian regularly. The neglect in the rooster issue baffles me given how much she's apt to ensure all other aspects of their care aside from this.
The original plan was to keep one rooster, namely Rufus the Ameraucana. Now it's Rufus and/or one of the barred rocks or maybe the buff or ... Yeah.

RazorBunny posted:

I don't know all that much about bird biology, but I know roosters can be caponized (neutered).

I'm told that it's $50-$100 per bird here and they're already full fledged adults. The surgery would involve going in through the bird's back and it might not curtail the behaviors that are causing the main issues at this juncture unfortunately.

I'm bringing Craigslist up with her again tomorrow evening when we talk and I'm taking pictures when I feed them in the morning. I'd pop in the coop and do it right now if I weren't so lazy.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
Seriously, that is too many freaking roosters. The proper ratio is around 6:1, so if she is going to keep all the roosters, she needs a lot more hens. If she isn't willing to eat them, then they need to go to new homes.

Now that I've been all cranky, I will tell a cute chicken story!
I've currently got ten chicks living on my patio, who are about three weeks old. The brooder is a large wire dog crate, which has a plastic tray for the floor, which eventually starts to get gross, even though its covered with a layer of bedding. So, yesterday I took it out and hosed it down, and while it was drying and getting exposed to UV, I let the chicks run around and do chicken things for a couple of hours, since it was a nice warm afternoon. Then, an hour or so before dark I go out to make sure they have food and water, and put them all back in the brooder. At that point, all of them were in the brooder, except for the smaller of the two Buff Orpington chicks. So I start looking and listening. No sign of the chick. I get my kids to come look with me. No sign of her. Finally, after about half an hour, we gave up, figuring that she'd gotten eaten by a cat or otherwise met a sad end.

Then, this afternoon, I go outside, and I start hearing what sounds like a chick's distressed peeping, so I look all over the place, and can't find her at all. After doing this for awhile, I decide to just open up the brooder, hoping that maybe she and the rest of her flock will find each other. I go out to run some errands, and come back and sure enough, there she is with the rest of the chicks. I have no idea where she was or how she did it, but she somehow managed to survive on her own for almost an entire day, including being on her own over night. She is none the worse for her ordeal that I can tell, and I've decided to name her 'Buffy' since she clearly has some sort of superpowers.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
At the moment I'm just living vicariously though all of the chicken owners in this thread, but I would like to have a flock of my own someday, which leads me to the question, what do you do with Chickens over the winter/ I live in New Hampshire, and we generally get quite a bit of snow, as well as temperatures that can plummet well below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Would I have to bring the chickens inside for the winter?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Either bring them inside or build them an insulated coop with a heat lamp inside. There are tons of coop plans online and you can check out http://www.backyardchickens.com/ for more information :).

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Chicks are here. Rusty is highly concerned.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

OMG! SO CUTE!!!! I don't suppose you have a webcam, do you? :3:

Is Rusty a dog? Is that him looking over the edge of the box in the third photo? :ohdear:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 2, 2012

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Inveigle posted:

OMG! SO CUTE!!!! I don't suppose you have a webcam, do you? :3:

Is Rusty a dog? Is that him looking over the edge of the box in the third photo? :ohdear:

You know...we do have a webcame for a computer that we don't use much. I might play around with setting something up if people like. It will be a bit of a pain though, since it's a desktop and I'll have to move it from upstairs to the basement. We'll see.

Rusty is our dog (golden retriever mix) and that is him looking over the edge of the box. He's completely unsure of how to handle the chicks. He follows me downstairs every time I check on them and whines as he looks at them. We've let him see a few up close and have used the leave it command to help establish not to mess with them. So far he's not interested in chasing them or anything, but just seems very confused by them. I left for about thirty minutes earlier and when I came home Rusty was sitting in the basement looking over the baby gate into the chick room (the room only has an old school accordion door, so he can poke it open a crack with his nose to watch them but the gate keeps him from being able to go in there unattended).

The chicks seem pretty happy. They are peeping softly, moving around the box to find food, and have found and used the feeder and waterer. The smaller ones (pretty sure they are the wyandottes, they all share the same pattern) are more inclined to huddle under the heat lamp, but they don't seem cold as long as they are under it.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I find baby chick peeping to be rather soothing, but to a dog's more-sensitive ears the high-pitched peeping might be annoying or very very intruiging.

I'm glad that Rusty the dog is only confused as opposed to hostile or hungry. Perhaps he'll end up "adopting" the chicks and become their big brother. :3: Be careful though, it's kind of instinctual for a retriever to pick up birds in his mouth. On the positive side, retrievers do tend to have a light touch since they're supposed to just retrieve birds and not chew them up.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

That is wild that they ship them like that. Could you hear them peeping when you got the box? I guess the packing straw keeps them warm?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Inveigle posted:

I find baby chick peeping to be rather soothing, but to a dog's more-sensitive ears the high-pitched peeping might be annoying or very very intruiging.

I'm glad that Rusty the dog is only confused as opposed to hostile or hungry. Perhaps he'll end up "adopting" the chicks and become their big brother. :3: Be careful though, it's kind of instinctual for a retriever to pick up birds in his mouth. On the positive side, retrievers do tend to have a light touch since they're supposed to just retrieve birds and not chew them up.

I don't think the noise upsets him, he's just not sure what it means/how to handle it. I suspect he has conflicted feelings about them. Part of him probably does want to eat them (or at least play with them like a squeaky ball) and the other part knows from our interactions with them that they are "things not to be touched without permission".

We've let him sniff a few up close and he gets really nervous and shies away from them. He also runs down to the basement to watch through the crack in the door any time we leave. Doesn't make any effort to get over the gate (he couldn't even if he tried), just watches. Our roommate says it's pretty cute. He hasn't made any kind of aggressive move so far and I doubt he will. He's very cat and small animal safe. He also does have a very soft mouth and won't even bite into treats or food that falls on the floor without permission.

c355n4 posted:

That is wild that they ship them like that. Could you hear them peeping when you got the box? I guess the packing straw keeps them warm?

It was actually an outer box with a bunch of packing straw, with an internal box with the chicks in it (and more packing straw, 2nd pic). Since we only bought 10 chicks they put a heat pack under the inside box to keep them warm. I think with larger orders (25+ chicks) they just rely on the chicks keeping each other warm.

And yeah, I could hear them peeping while I walked home with the box :)

In other news, it got too cold in the room overnight (~85 under their light instead of 95) so I had to go trade the 100W bulb out for a 150W this morning first thing. With the new one set up the temps are good. They are all eating and drinking well, but about half had crusty butts that I had to clean this morning.

Two indignant chicks that just had their butts cleaned:

Sleepy chicks:

And here is a short video of the chicks doing nothing particularly exciting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYDjWrS16CI

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ceridwen posted:

I don't think the noise upsets him, he's just not sure what it means/how to handle it. I suspect he has conflicted feelings about them. Part of him probably does want to eat them (or at least play with them like a squeaky ball) and the other part knows from our interactions with them that they are "things not to be touched without permission".

We've let him sniff a few up close and he gets really nervous and shies away from them. He also runs down to the basement to watch through the crack in the door any time we leave. Doesn't make any effort to get over the gate (he couldn't even if he tried), just watches. Our roommate says it's pretty cute. He hasn't made any kind of aggressive move so far and I doubt he will. He's very cat and small animal safe. He also does have a very soft mouth and won't even bite into treats or food that falls on the floor without permission.

It sounds as though he is having the exact same reaction to them that my parent's male dog has when he is around young (week old) puppies. He's fascinated by them and just loves to watch them move and make noise from the edge of the box or doorway, but seemingly gets nervous and backs away if you let him sniff one. He will just stand there wagging his tail watching them until the momma gets annoyed and gives him a growl. He was also very good around their chickens, but he never saw them as chicks.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I think it comes from the dog knowing these are baby animals, and mother animals normally would not hesitate to maul the face of anything that gets too close to their babies if they feel in danger.

It's just natural to want to stay the hell away from something thats going to get you beat up. (We all know how bitchy broody hens can get, they get worse with chicks sometimes.)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Only one crusty butt this morning!

I spent some time yesterday blocking off the door to outside in the chick room to reduce drafts. With that and the new heat bulb temps have stabilized and the chicks seem really happy. They are all eating and drinking and look great! We've noticed one or two that are a bit more prone to pecking at their buddies than the others, but no one is a bully so far.

I can't believe how quickly they change. Their wing feathers are already replacing the down in a noticeable way since I brought them home. My husband and I are going on our honeymoon next week and it's going to be crazy to see how much they grow while we are gone.

Does anyone have any feedback on the medicated vs. unmedicated food thing?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Here's what Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens says about medicated feed:

quote:

Use medicated starter if:

You brood chicks in warm, humid weather
You brood large quantities of chicks at a time
You keep chicks in the same brooder for more than three weeks
You brood one batch of chicks after another
Your sanitation isn't up to snuff.

It goes on to say you shouldn't need it if you are starting them in late winter or early spring before the warm weather hits. If you're not brooding commercially, if they always have fresh water, and you keep their litter clean and dry you shouldn't need it.

However it does provide one less thing to worry about, so ultimately it's up to you.

For my soon-to-arrive chicks, I was going to use medicated feed just for the peace of mind factor, but someone bought me chick starter already, so I've got to use that before I could even switch to medicated feed. I'm using a converted pet cage with a pull out plastic tray for a brooder, so I'll just give it a good cleaning every three weeks or so.

I think non-medicated might actually be a little better anyway - since it's colder the coccidia bacteria shouldn't be too bad and they'll be able to build up an immunity due to gradual exposure. That's one reason Storey's recommends raising them on litter rather than on wire. I'm not sure if they could build up an immunity with medicated feed.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

I think I'm going to go ahead and put them on it for the first few weeks, since I'm going to be out of town next week and leaving the chicks in the care of a couple of our friends. I trust them to watch them, but am not sure they would notice as quickly as I would if the chicks started to get sick.

All in all I think we've got a pretty low-risk situation though. No adult chickens, brooder is made out of brand new boxes, it's still quite cool here and is almost never humid, and I'm planning to keep the sanitation up to snuff. They will still have plenty of time to build immunity after I get back in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Whodat...

Ohhai!

In other news, this was posted in the old Chickam thread, it's chickens and ducks. Also has a button that allows you to feed the chickens via the internet! (I think goons might have broken it yesterday granted...) but still, chickens and ducks on cam for your viewing pleasure.

http://flyingskunk.com/live.php