Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halalelujah posted:

Now that I'm back in the third world all I want to do is go to my gourmet grocery store and get a bunch of serrano ham and eat it on the couch while drinking red wine and whiskey while watching old episodes of frasier.

I also remember why I hate dubai every loving time I go through it.

We'll have scotch on the rocks, warm pussy, and a place to take a poo poo with a door on it when you come home, ace.

E: on the road. Can someone snipe me a picture of a cat in a blanket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

How's this?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

efbfyb

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

Actually,

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bunnielab posted:

Ok, so how, in this specific situation, can you make things better while still letting a company offer near instantaneous shipping of so much stuff sold so cheaply?
gilded_age_arguments.txt

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

pnumoman posted:

No one's arguing that they have a great solution that can be implemented immediately, or that things aren't vastly better than they were in the past. But improvement in working conditions happened because people were not content with the status quo; you seem to be arguing that it's pointless to get upset and work towards change unless you can do it all in one go. That's a really short-sighted and frankly dumb position.

"It's better than it was before" is a ridiculous justification for not wanting things to improve further.

And a goon shouts, "Foul! Strawman argument: no-one besides a true sociapath or power mad narcisist wants things to stay bad or get worse" The opposing idea gets a cast:

The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy; it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups.
When economics and law treat everyone equally, then there is no need for special consideration except for the people who are truly unable to compete, and even they may have something to contribute. IF markets are allowed to stabilize and work to fulfill actual needs instead of react to some or another legislation designed to "fix" things life will get better on its own because it is both ECONOMICALLY and SOCIALLY a good idea. Remember, "fixing" things is how we got here in the first place.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Good old lolbertarianism rears it's shaggy head once again.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rule .303 posted:

Remember, "fixing" things is how we got here in the first place.
More Gilded Age arguments. I'm curious, however, if your argument is that no workers today should be complaining because their conditions are better than they used to be, why you're putting `fixing' in scare quotes there.

I'm also none too sure about what that `here' refers to, as I find it seriously difficult to think up any line of argument that lays the blame for the current general economic situation on too much regulation (of all things), apart from purely empty reflexive jingoism. But that's probably too much of a derail for even this thread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good old lolbertarianism rears it's shaggy head once again.

Suggestions to make things better?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Get off the internet and have a drink with your loved ones?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eat a meat cloud.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable Melange posted:

Get off the internet and have a drink with your loved ones?

Good point, I'm out. If you guys ever get your class war started let me know, I have a closet full of guns and bet I could build a good barricade.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

SubG posted:

More Gilded Age arguments. I'm curious, however, if your argument is that no workers today should be complaining because their conditions are better than they used to be, why you're putting `fixing' in scare quotes there.

I'm also none too sure about what that `here' refers to, as I find it seriously difficult to think up any line of argument that lays the blame for the current general economic situation on too much regulation (of all things), apart from purely empty reflexive jingoism. But that's probably too much of a derail for even this thread.

There was no gilded age, though there was a time not too long ago where someone who worked was not taxed and regulated so much, and if you wanted to start a business you did not have to kiss some bureaucrat’s ring and pay-off the county commissioners. Was everyone guaranteed success? No. Were people able to try for it? yes. Are people able to do that now? Depends on local regulations. Is it better? Define better.

I have never said that workers should not complain or try to make conditions better, (FOUL! Strawman argument again!) I will claim that workers are less able to better themselves today. If they belong to a union they are not able to negotiate in their own interest, they have so called experts who do that for them. There are fewer jobs due to a contracting job market. The education system is churning out functionally illiterate, undereducated graduates that need to take Math 083 to get up to speed at college and do not know what the electoral college is, who James Polk was and cannot balance a checkbook. And if they overcome those issues, they can’t go into business for themselves because the licensing and registration load is greater than any expected initial profit.

As for the amount of regulation, try this.

Pretend you are going to set up a distillery, employing 3 people in your garage.
Call the state corporation division, ask for the cost to become an associated business name, a limited liability corporation and a domestic business corporation
Call the workers comp people. Ask them how much you have to pay in the first couple of years for the workers comp.
Call the workplace safety people, find out what you have to do to comply with their regs and what inspections cost.
Call unemployment benefits people, ask what the quarterly payments are.
Call the Environmental quality people, ask them what you have to do to comply with their rules and ask how much the inspection is
Call the county, ask what regulations you have to comply with
Call the city, ask them if you will comply with their zoning
Does your state have a liquor control commission? What do you need to make them sweet?
Call the ATF, find out what rules YOU MUST comply with and the amounts you have to pay so they don’t send the rev-noors after you.
Call the IRS, find out what your quarterly payments are based on, and what requirements you have under the various laws and acts to do for banking and reporting of earnings
Call Child Support, find out about complying with any future garnishment orders.

Now imagine doing this because you are going to make and sell snowboard accessories to make beer money and tuition.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
TL/DR:

Ooh, I dropped my toast on the ground. If I eat it will I get Cooties?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Rule .303 posted:

TL/DR:

Ooh, I dropped my toast on the ground. If I eat it will I get Cooties?

Only bunny cooties
Dust Bunny Cooties

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Help! do I wash out my mouth with aguardiente or with bechamel sauce!

No I feel them now, type faster!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Friend brought back a set of Samaithu Pár for me today. Looks awesome, and I think I have a new project for this summer. I love that there's a chapter titled "Pickles Specially Prepared For Marriages" :3:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Working together and making things happen!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

bunnielab posted:

Believe it or not, there is an actual labor movement that has accomplished a lot of things in the past 150 years, from safety improvements to the weekend. If you're actually interested in what they think still needs to be improved and how, google it. I'm not going to do it for you. This "just asking questions" without directly responding to anything or stating your own thoughts is bush league.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People died for the 40 hour work week and safe working conditions.

We should honor their memory by continuing their struggle. The 40 hour work week doesn't just mean that you don't work more than 40 hours a week. It means you don't need to, because 40 hours sustains your livelihood. It doesn't mean you should feel honored to work 40 hours for poo poo pay and overtime for poo poo and a half in some wretched hellhole. And safety doesn't just mean you won't be incinerated by slag – it also means you won't destroy your body just by working some lovely job.

Also: dickchat. Please. There's a reason I don't read D&D.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Working together and making things happen!

The Subcommandante is one of the coolest dudes in town.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 4, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Ok.. seriously!

Some of the words that are used in English texts are something that you guys clearly are sitting around inventing, while drinking bong-water mixed with vodka, and taking the piss on all the foreigners.

This is exacerbating international tension.

Edit: Websters is written by goddamn adolescent school-boys! gently caress!

Edit2: Some of these words are loving unpronouncable..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 4, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Happy Hat posted:

Ok.. seriously!

Some of the words that are used in English texts are something that you guys clearly are sitting around inventing, while drinking bong-water mixed with vodka, and taking the piss on all the foreigners.

You pretty much summed up my 4 years of college. Yay liberal arts school!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Ok.. seriously!

Edit: Websters is written by goddamn adolescent school-boys! gently caress!

Edit2: Some of these words are loving unpronouncable..

Just imagine those people trying to learn Danish. It'll put a smile on your fjæs.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dane posted:

Just imagine those people trying to learn Danish. It'll put a smile on your fjæs.

Rødgrød med fløde? :haw:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Best part about cooking with wine is that I get to drink the half the bottle I don't use to cook wiht.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Hmm.. apparantly using Green Day as a ringtone is frowned upon at work!

Now I have to figure something else out!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You should go with something not terrible.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

Hmm.. apparantly using Green Day as a ringtone is frowned upon at work!

Now I have to figure something else out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbquDj3mkGc

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

This is a good post.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Done!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Happy Hat posted:

Done!

Get the pirate virus song playing on all the company computers, and have an Archerific Monday.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

My sister just went to see the newest addition to the extended family (goddamn I miss the word "slekt" in English sometimes) being baptized, the church service was an "Environmental Awareness" service and featured Santa Claus doing a projector showing of pictures from Antarctica.

Get your kids started early on surrealism.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rule .303 posted:

There was no gilded age, though there was a time not too long ago where someone who worked was not taxed and regulated so much, and if you wanted to start a business you did not have to kiss some bureaucrat’s ring and pay-off the county commissioners.
Ah, the good old days when there were no child labour laws and a company could hire armed mercenaries to gun down labour organisers.

Rule .303 posted:

I have never said that workers should not complain or try to make conditions better, (FOUL! Strawman argument again!)
You said:

Rule .303 posted:

We have extraordinary conditions in these United States. Probably more freedom and choice than any other civilization in history. Despite that, many people can only complain and bellyache. If you cannot succeed right now in this society, you would be a goner in any other time and any other society.
I summarised that by saying `your argument is that no workers today should be complaining because their conditions are better than they used to be'. If you think this is a strawman, then your grasp on rhetoric is no better than your grasp on labour history.

And as interesting as your fantasies about setting up a business are, they don't seem particularly relevant to the subject. Which is either whether or not working conditions at order fulfilment companies is worthy of comment or, per my comments to which you were replying, how anyone could imagine that the current economic crises could be attributable to too much regulation.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

My ringtone is mulatto butts. I answer that poo poo quick in Brooklyn.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Got my sound back up again now. Move-in is finally completed. Spent the evening listening to 70's rock, and eating lasagna and hummus and hanging out with sis. It's good to have family. It's good to have a record player and hummus.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Vegetable Melange posted:

My ringtone is mulatto butts. I answer that poo poo quick in Brooklyn.

It's my BF's ringtone too. His new boss was not amused.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Casu Marzu posted:

Best part about cooking with wine is that I get to drink the half the bottle I don't use to cook wiht.

I did that once when I made risotto at like 9 in the morning and I regretted it all day.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Drink and Fight posted:

It's my BF's ringtone too. His new boss was not amused.

It's mine as well. Made for a bunch of awkward looks at family brunch last week when a buddy called me.

Also I found out today that you can indeed eat too many tacos. I didn't think it was possible. But worth it. So much delicious tongue and tripe.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Kenning posted:

I did that once when I made risotto at like 9 in the morning and I regretted it all day.

Risotto and fried eggs is the best.

I am experiencing an unreal amount of jetlag. I fall asleep at midnight and wake up at 2:30. And that's it. gently caress this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

SubG posted:

Ah, the good old days when there were no child labour laws and a company could hire armed mercenaries to gun down labour organisers.

Wow, what country was enslaving children and gunning down labor organizers in the 50’s and 60's? Oh, right, Albania, sorry. I’m going to have to call foul on a third offense of a strawman argument: Only a sociopath or a narcissistic dictator with dreams of world conquest would be in favor of that.

Also please don’t attribute i shoot friendlies’s posts to me.

And if you really want to talk about my fantasies, they tend to include more Indonesian women than compliance with zoning ordinances, but it is a matter of taste, like the lady said when she kissed a cow.

Working conditions are always worth discussing, but I have yet to see passing laws, regulations and policy statements actually make things better. They are more likely to drive companies out of business and, “shrink the universe of available jobs” (as I believe the Department of Commerce so carefully puts it).
Actually, I thought I said that I thought that Mother Jones thought it was worthy of discussing because it was a non-union shop, and any stick works to beat that dog.

Do we want to continue this here? I’d rather make fun of Happy Hat and his struggles with the English Language