Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Technowrite posted:

Where and how the hell do we start?

It would be helpful if you could give some indication of which years and what manufacturers are present. Generally older is better, though no amount of time between the present day and the mid 80s to early 90s will ever make those cards worth much of anything.

There are a couple of exceptions to that general rule. Look for rookies and anything from 1991 that has a gold Desert Shield emblem in the top right hand corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
$3 million-plus expected for game-worn Babe Ruth jersey at auction

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-henson_babe_ruth_1920_jersey_auction_022612

I don't know, an auction? In this economy? With those sellers' fees? He could have walked out the door with like 10 grand IN CASH from Rick Harrison...

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Antifreeze Head posted:

It would be helpful if you could give some indication of which years and what manufacturers are present. Generally older is better, though no amount of time between the present day and the mid 80s to early 90s will ever make those cards worth much of anything.

There are a couple of exceptions to that general rule. Look for rookies and anything from 1991 that has a gold Desert Shield emblem in the top right hand corner.

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive, but we haven't even seen the entire collection yet and I am merely going through what I've only seen thus far.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

So, nobody else is up for a group break?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Technowrite posted:

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive, but we haven't even seen the entire collection yet and I am merely going through what I've only seen thus far.

Take a few pics if you can, big collections are always fun to see.

purkey posted:

I'm a strong maybe, depending on sets and how team selection will be done. I almost would prefer it be done by random selection (allowing trades) so people who want teams like the Royals, Marlins or Diamondbacks won't miss out on the chance for the high value hits that guys who get Boston, the Yankees or the Cubs has.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm a strong maybe, depending on sets and how team selection will be done. I almost would prefer it be done by random selection (allowing trades) so people who want teams like the Royals, Marlins or Diamondbacks won't miss out on the chance for the high value hits that guys who get Boston, the Yankees or the Cubs has.

Same here. I've seen some breaks in which everyone picks a team and gets all the base/inserts of that team, and then the hits are given away randomly. If it's a really big hit, we could sell it and do another break for free.

unbeatable
Mar 13, 2006
I'm number one

purkey posted:

Put me down as another strong maybe. Looks like we got 6-7 people so far.

Any suggestions on what to break?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I would be down, I just hate using PayPal but yea down

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I see where you guys are coming from, but I just want a shot at some cool cards from the Giants. I know that the hockey thread randomed a team or two with the best hits, maybe Gordie would have some ideas about that.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

It's not a big hit or nearly as cool as any of the vintage cards posted, but I like this one that I just pulled today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Is that from an all-star jersey? Does it say?

Very cool, I love McCutchen's signature. I have a ball signed by him.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Nah, just says multi-color relic patch. Not even the usual stuff about not being from any specific game or event.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ok. Might just be the lighting in your picture, it looks more gold than yellow, and Pirates jerseys always seemed more yellow.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

That's better than anything I pulled out of like four boxes of that poo poo. Bowman Platinum looks nice but sucks for the price.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

purkey posted:

It's not a big hit or nearly as cool as any of the vintage cards posted, but I like this one that I just pulled today

That's a sick pull. I am very jealous,

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

camoseven posted:

Same here. I've seen some breaks in which everyone picks a team and gets all the base/inserts of that team, and then the hits are given away randomly. If it's a really big hit, we could sell it and do another break for free.

I'd be game for something like this. There was also some talk about a year ago of doing one draft style with 5 or 6 people - get a high value team with your top spot then the team you really want 2nd or 3rd.

I hesitate to step up and run it since I'm in Canada. There's no reason everyone should have to pay more for the cards and extra for shipping.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I want to run this.

I've run multiple hockey breaks on another thread, and run a sports card and collectibles store in metro Detroit. (If you need anything at all relating to this stuff, let me know.)

Right now, I have 2012 Topps hobby and HTA jumbo boxes, plus lots of boxes and packs from 2011. I can also get in stock any products that you guys would want to break.

I'd support any of the team distribution systems. Could we do something where everyone gets one hit-heavy team and one/two other teams, perhaps? Figure it out amongst you guys, and let's get something going.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'd be game for something like this. There was also some talk about a year ago of doing one draft style with 5 or 6 people - get a high value team with your top spot then the team you really want 2nd or 3rd.

I hesitate to step up and run it since I'm in Canada. There's no reason everyone should have to pay more for the cards and extra for shipping.

I'm up for this type of draft, but not really down for selling a possible big hit since that kind of the fun of doing this kind of thing!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

purkey posted:

I'm up for this type of draft, but not really down for selling a possible big hit since that kind of the fun of doing this kind of thing!

Same here. I'm pretty new to box breaks, so I'll probably have a bunch of questions.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

Same here. I'm pretty new to box breaks, so I'll probably have a bunch of questions.

What are your questions?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone had asked me awhile ago about taking a picture of my D-Train Conductor's Hat that was given away at a Marlins game years ago.

Well here's what it looks like:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
That was me, and that was well worth the wait

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If somebody wants it I'm willing to sell it, it's been sitting in my parents' house for years.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

If somebody wants it I'm willing to sell it, it's been sitting in my parents' house for years.

Three bux

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Could be auction time. Is there a sponsor logo on there? Is it the kind that can be taken off in two minutes with a thread removal thingy?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The biggest hits out of the 2012 Topps jumbo boxes have been these Retired Rings cards, super thick cards of legends that have a metal ring face embedded inside the card.

I've got a bunch of them in, and before I put them online, I'd like to give anyone here a shot first. Email me if you have any questions (gordie dot fall at gmail dot com).

I have a Frank Thomas (Chicago), Luis Aparicio (Chicago), Carlton Fisk (Boston), Tom Seaver (New York) x2, and Frank Robinson (Cincinnati).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Could be auction time. Is there a sponsor logo on there? Is it the kind that can be taken off in two minutes with a thread removal thingy?
Yeah, the back has the name and logo for Rail America, but it's not that bad and is probably best left alone unless you really want it gone.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:
What the hell, put someone else down for the group break. Could be fun.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

What are your questions?

How exactly does the draft system work? What do we do with multi-player cards? Also, what do we do with redemptions? Will we do a live break?

e: Are trades allowed?

theacox fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 5, 2012

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

How exactly does the draft system work? What do we do with multi-player cards? Also, what do we do with redemptions? Will we do a live break?

e: Are trades allowed?

The draft system can work multiple ways, but it typically goes like one of these:

- Everyone gets a number, and chooses teams in that order
- Everyone picks one team, and gets assigned other teams
- Everyone picks a number, and teams are randomly chosen and assigned
- Everything is randomized

I'd prefer the first or last options for baseball.

----

Multi-player cards can go to the first player pictured on the card, a coin flip, or to whichever side didn't get any other big hits.

----

Redemptions will be sent out like any other card.

----

The break will be videotaped, and posted to YouTube, like we've done with the hockey breaks.

Anything else?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I think that pretty much covers everything I had questions about.

I realize it can vary greatly depending on product, but what kind of per team price can I expect? What I mean is $20 or $200?

e: I'd also be happy with the first and last in your options.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

I think that pretty much covers everything I had questions about.

I realize it can vary greatly depending on product, but what kind of per team price can I expect? What I mean is $20 or $200?

e: I'd also be happy with the first and last in your options.

The slot price will be around $20-30, depending on how many teams you get and what we are opening. Some of the money depends on shipping costs.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

So, does everyone throw like 50 bucks for a brick or how does that work?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Count me in for pretty much anything.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I say we do a randomized draft and do the coin flip for multi-player cards

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Can you go into how much this would cost per person? Do we have to use pay pal? What if two people want the same team?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mooseontheloose posted:

Can you go into how much this would cost per person? Do we have to use pay pal? What if two people want the same team?

First come first serve for teams if we pick them, with some teams unavailable (due to too many hits).

Paypal is recommended, as I don't want to wait for mail to arrive.

Cost depends on what everyone wants to break.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

Cost depends on what everyone wants to break.

What is out right now other than Topps Series 1?

I guess if we're going into older stuff, I've always been a fan of the hand-painted stuff, but I'm probably alone in this. But to satisfy my curiosity, got any UD Masterpieces or National Chicle hanging around?

That's just classy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

I guess if we're going into older stuff, I've always been a fan of the hand-painted stuff, but I'm probably alone in this. But to satisfy my curiosity, got any UD Masterpieces or National Chicle hanging around?

That's just classy.

I don't have it hanging around, but I can get it in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

Antifreeze Head posted:

That's just classy.

Masterpieces would be great, but I beg no National Chicle. For every one of those, there are at least three of these:

Some hideous art in that set.

• Locked thread