Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nX5e9aBRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZewUagwPa4M

Honey just took both the 70 and 120 star world records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your avatar is appropriate, and Sig's probably livid.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Mario64 records change hands pretty frequently. Why would he be livid?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Because the record beat what Sig was even targeting.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is it that the Super Meat Boy runs, the ones I want to see most, either never go up or take the longest to go up? Dumb errors!

There any update on the still-missing runs from AGDQ'12?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

Why is it that the Super Meat Boy runs, the ones I want to see most, either never go up or take the longest to go up? Dumb errors!

I eventually caved in and watched the Ocarina of Time run on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouY-QhN1Mh8

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Liku posted:

Because the record beat what Sig was even targeting.

I noticed that it looks like another Japanese player knocked 4-5 minutes off of the WR that Trihex was chasing in Yoshi's Island.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
I don't know if I already posted about that with Yoshi's Island, but...

Trihex is a very technical player. He's great at pulling off tricks. But he's very inconsistent, taking deaths, making major mistakes (redoing levels), and trying to go for tricks that will just waste time if they aren't pulled off within a few tries.

Kaede (Japanese WR holder) is not very technical. He plays it very slow and safe, but makes few mistakes. He hardly ever shoots eggs, takes no risks, and makes some choices that are sort of frustrating to watch when you know something can be done better.

The next issue is the bonus games. Kaede is good at avoiding them, but Trihex hasn't quite gotten it figured out. It's not an easy thing to avoid, so it can't really be helped without a ton of practice. Over a 100% run, bonus games add a lot of time to the run.

3:00:00 is simply a bad time. I'm not saying this to offend anyone--because the US runners know that Kaede's run isn't exactly a good speedrun. If and/or when Carl or Trihex get a good run, it'll knock that time out of the water.

They've been knocking off 5 minutes over and over again for the past... year? It'll still take a little while until the runs get near the level of other games (like Mario 64).

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Trihex also showboats too much. It's entertaining, but more than once I've watched him hover right over water or lava at the end of a level only to fall in and have to restart.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'll never forget this one speech Trihex gave where he talked about the first time he saw a Yoshi's Island TAS and compared it to loving the TV. He then wanted to do all those tricks for real and he went out and did it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's Trihex's thing and the viewers seem to love it. I think it's pretty cool but at times I wish he'd stop loving around and just do tricks where need be.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ChibiSoma posted:

Short answer: Trihex's DVR hates us. Three burns now it's given us hosed up copies of the footage that we know is there. It either cuts out early or starts loving up like it was a scratched disc.

I'm tempted to just have Trihex ship his DVR to me so I can try to figure it out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy poo poo someone was really insane enough to do a Homeworld speed run. I had considered trying one a long time ago but in between resource management compared to time and figuring out the bare minimum fleet you'd need to beat each mission and harvest resources afterwards I never got around to trying. And he did it in almost 2 hours.

e: He's getting a surprising amount of use out of that battleball.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 5, 2012

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Time again for the sunday sequence break.

http://www.twitch.tv/thesundaysequencebreak

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
"Temporary" Super Meat Boy and Ocarina of Time encodes are available for download now so watch them.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Glass Eater posted:

"Temporary" Super Meat Boy and Ocarina of Time encodes are available for download now so watch them.

Yeah, each of these are missing about 15 minutes of high quality footage (OOT in the middle, SMB at the end), but I fell back on the xsplit stuff for the missing bits, so the runs are watchable in their entirety. When I manage to get a good copy from Trihex (probably going to have to spend some quality time with him on Skype) I'll upload new copies.

I should have just done this to start with, but I didn't realize the DVR was going to give us so much grief.

On the plus side, I can go ahead and get started on the compilation reels too...

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
If the approval process for speedruns is so complicated and slow, why even bother with a game as recent as Super Meat Boy? Won't any run be obsolete by the time it gets up on the site?
Or am I underestimating how often new records get posted for all games? I remember seeing repeated new Mario 64 times which kind of boggles my mind.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not really familiar with the behind the scenes parts of speedruns. I just like watching them. :)

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The backlog at SDA right now averages seven months. There are a lot of records that are beaten by the same runner before their first run is ever posted.

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/board/speedrun_verification.html

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zachol posted:

If the approval process for speedruns is so complicated and slow, why even bother with a game as recent as Super Meat Boy? Won't any run be obsolete by the time it gets up on the site?
Or am I underestimating how often new records get posted for all games? I remember seeing repeated new Mario 64 times which kind of boggles my mind.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not really familiar with the behind the scenes parts of speedruns. I just like watching them. :)

Those more popular speedrunning games move so fast it just doesn't make sense to constantly keep submitting them to SDA.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Former Human posted:

The backlog at SDA right now averages seven months. There are a lot of records that are beaten by the same runner before their first run is ever posted.

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/board/speedrun_verification.html

Someone should make a competitive site that actually loving updates quickly. 7 months? What's the point? Though, there's a certain irony to the whole thing that I love.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
This comes up like every two weeks and it's the same story: When the redesign finishes, the lag time will be a lot shorter. Like, two or three weeks if the game gets verified quickly.

Trust me, we're painfully aware of how annoying it is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

UraniumAnchor posted:

This comes up like every two weeks and it's the same story: When the redesign finishes, the lag time will be a lot shorter. Like, two or three weeks if the game gets verified quickly.

Trust me, we're painfully aware of how annoying it is.

Oh, you're doing a redesign? When did you guys start that? It'll be nice to see the site spruced up a bit.

rashreflection
Sep 19, 2007

So you're the hater, huh?
As I've said on my own stream a few times, SDA always makes a point of saying "we're not a world record site, we're a video site." I think a good idea would be an actual WR-tracking site with a Shoryuken-style front page - updating with whatever new records appear, linking streams, etc. You'd need a decent-sized staff and people fluent in Japanese to check Nico etc. every day, but I think it could work if the right people got together.

Anyway, glad to hear SDA is doing something at least!

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Peaches_ streaming Blast Corps!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I was watching the Blast Corps LP not too long ago and I'm always amused at how well Peaches_ manages the world map now. Listening to vitriolic rants on how bad the controls are is way funnier when he's bouncing around the world map like an idiot now.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you guys started keeping video at its actual resolution? The diablo 2 run for instance is devastatingly ugly. The dude put all his WIPs on YouTube and you can see it so much better. Is the redesign going to ditch the black background/white text for something more modern and readable? This post reads a bit rudely I think so I must apologize. I really do enjoy and appreciate SDA and it's a lot of work you guys are doing just because you like to.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

More CV3 Grant runs.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

fleshweasel posted:

Have you guys started keeping video at its actual resolution? The diablo 2 run for instance is devastatingly ugly. The dude put all his WIPs on YouTube and you can see it so much better.

Are you watching the high quality versions or the embedded flash versions? The high quality stuff should be at the native resolution, but the flash version is "medium quality", which is almost always scaled down. If it's not that, then I have no idea, because I remember watching the D2 runs and thinking they looked fine.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

iastudent posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

More CV3 Grant runs.

I literally turned it on for the first time ever, he broke his Grant record.

Pretty cool.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
FUNKDOC BROKE HIS RECORD.

30:46:95

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Funkdoc nails it! 30:46! :woop:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Alteisen posted:

FUNKDOC BROKE HIS RECORD.

30:46:95

It was fantastic.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

drat, the stream kept lagging for me so I closed it right before the record :mad:

congrats funk 'rashreflection' doc

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gently caress yes, first time I've seen a record broken live. This was incredible! Congrats funkdoc!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just got back from my shower and saw it happen. Way to go Funkdoc!

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
When he made it up those stairs without getting hit by either bird, you knew it was to be.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Yeah that was amazing. He had quite a few near perfect levels.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

Didn't even know this was a thread, good poo poo! First run I've seen done as well, and after watching for some days now it was a great end to the journey.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Bonus stream time for Funkdoc: Maximum Carnage

If you haven't seen him play this in action, you're in for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Congrats, Funkdoc! I just wish I coulda been there to watch it live.

• Locked thread