Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
The last few episodes have been amazing so I've gotta give a redundant but sincere thanks to the team, you're the best. I'm going to import that DVD for sure. I import everything (even PAL 3DS games from the UK for a cheaper price) so it'll be business as usual. I hope though that one day the Tamage and other additional segments from those episodes are translated, I love those extra bits.

quote:

So I guess I'm probably the only person that watched the Genpei episode and really wants to play the game because of it.

Nope not the only one I wanted to try that game out the whole episode, it seemed to combine the worst elements of old game design (confusing enemy patterns and awkward controls & character movement) into one cohesive package. I've seen the PC Engine described as an 8-bit machine masquerading as a 16-bit one and that game would be the perfect example of that as it looks really nice (imo at least) but has that crap 8-bit style enemy movement and seemingly random placement that doesn't make a lot of sense, at least initially. It reminded me just a little bit of a Master System game 'Kenseiden' which a lot of people talk up but I thought was total garbage until I saw a super play that showed me it wasn't impossible to deal with what it threw at the player.

There are some really hardcore people in this thread, It's cool to see others playing or interested in Umihara Kawase, Railfan and Namco X Capcom. I slogged it out for 80 hours to reach the end of NxC & I'm really happy to finally see the game that bloke with the sword came from. I'd seen screenshots but never checked out the game in detail like this.

BTW those train games don't mess around it's just like the GCCX episode, smooth sailing 'till you have to stop at a station. I think the Tokyo Bus Guide games have the edge on them though, just as strict but somehow a bit more friendly towards drunken competition among friends, the fact we drive on the left side of the road here doesn't hurt either.

Finally as a serious STG fan it's nice to see they're doing Gradius, although it might be a bit frustrating to watch. I might have to check out a RAW like I did with Alex Kidd (which was great, it was like watching myself playing the game for the first time).

Chaindive fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Shock Trooper posted:

edit: I have literally no idea what happened at the very end of the game.
He exploded into cherry blossom petals?

Gradius is a cool challenge, but I don't know if I'd watch it given how Arino's not too good with shmups. Also the Famicom/NES version in general isn't that good of a port since romhackers have been able to do better (see: the hacked cart from the KUBOKEN segment, the AC hack can be seen on Youtube and it not only has arcade like graphics but it also makes the laser work the right way and lets you have 4 Options as opposed to only 2). Then again it was one of the first Konami titles on there and they didn't have much of a grasp on the hardware.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 3, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just got around to watching the behind the scenes of the lemmings 24 hour broadcast. My favorite part:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

He exploded into cherry blossom petals?

Gradius is a cool challenge, but I don't know if I'd watch it given how Arino's not too good with shmups. Also the Famicom/NES version in general isn't that good of a port since romhackers have been able to do better (see: the hacked cart from the KUBOKEN segment, the AC hack can be seen on Youtube and it not only has arcade like graphics but it also makes the laser work the right way and lets you have 4 Options as opposed to only 2). Then again it was one of the first Konami titles on there and they didn't have much of a grasp on the hardware.

Even Gradius 2 is a huge improvement on Gradius. But Gradius is the one that people remember because it was the big monster hit.

This is actually the second shooter challenge of the season. Super Spy Hunter is also a shooter (and a pretty good and challenging one for the famicom/NES IMO).

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Can someone clarify this. Zonie Nation is the only shooter that Arino has cleared.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

joek0 posted:

Can someone clarify this. Zonie Nation is the only shooter that Arino has cleared.
There have been other games with shooter segments that he's cleared (Wai Wai World, Doraemon), but I believe that's the only pure shooter he's finished.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Random Stranger posted:

Even Gradius 2 is a huge improvement on Gradius. But Gradius is the one that people remember because it was the big monster hit.

This is actually the second shooter challenge of the season. Super Spy Hunter is also a shooter (and a pretty good and challenging one for the famicom/NES IMO).

This is a guess but it might also be that the hackers made use of newer in-cartridge hardware available later, like the memory management controllers and such.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I forgot Inoko MAX got to wear a cooling pad once. I don't think any of the other AD's had that privilege.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I forgot Inoko MAX got to wear a cooling pad once. I don't think any of the other AD's had that privilege.

Everyone had cooling pad on at the end of 24h live.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

Arino also graced everyone with a cooling pad on his last gamble on the Korea trip.

Tug Migroin
May 4, 2008

"When all else fails, read your manual!"
Pork Pro
Not to mention the Shadow Lands episode where he makes Inoue and (I think) Urakawa put on cooling pads to show solidarity.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

And Touji and Sasano wore them on the gruelling Mario campaign.

I thought you were meant to be an expert on this show, RS. :colbert:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Okay, but how many people in this thread have worn cooling pads?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Wendell posted:

I didn't know cooling pads were even a thing. I mean I knew about body heating/cooling pads for muscle aches, but not ones specifically for your head. They seem useful for anything that requires long hours though.

defu
Sep 2, 2011
Oh wow. Procrastinated and didn't check this thread for 2 months and look at all that has happened. Totally missed Arinos birthday stream :(

Thanks to the SA Staff for all the new episodes!
Congrats to zari-gani for the subbing deal and great job on that birthday art!

Now I've had this idea about going to a print store and have them make actual posters of the two posters that zari-gani made, so I can frame them and hang them on my wall. Only problem is that they are kind of low-resolution for a high-quality poster. (I think). So I was wondering do they exist anywhere as bigger images?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Kerfuffle posted:

I didn't know cooling pads were even a thing. I mean I knew about body heating/cooling pads for muscle aches, but not ones specifically for your head. They seem useful for anything that requires long hours though.

I've seen them marketed to help children with fevers.

I...have been tempted to buy them. I won't lie.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I get them from the $0.99 Only stores in Southern California, they come in packs of 3 and whenever I have a fever or am otherwise sick, holy hell do those things do wonders.

I haven't been frustrated enough at a game to try one for that purpose yet, though.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After discovering the Freshverse stream during the Pilotwings live challenge, I haven't been able to watch the last couple days because I keep getting a "Stream not found: live.flv" error message. Is this a problem on my end or are other people getting it too?

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
I just thought he didn't have his tv on at the moment. But yeah, I'm getting that too right now.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Wendell posted:

Not ones for my head, but I remember stocking up on a number of large ones for my poor, abused wrists back in the day when Guitar Hero was a new, unique game for the Playstation 2. Looking back, those things are amazing and I'm surprised I haven't gone back to using them.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Really like this show, but does anyone else get annoyed by the overly-cutesy female voice repeating everything that happens on screen? I've seen this a lot in Japanese shows, it's like they think the viewer can't see or something.

Just watching one of the arcade visits he does, one of the machines was broken, and then he goes bowling.

Arino: Oh no! the machine doesn't work!
Voice: Arino is shocked to discover that unfortunately the machine has broken!

*Arino bowls a strike*
Voice: The Chief bowls a strike!

just really irks me.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

There are blind Japanese people too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

How many of them play videogames?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Even if it ends up being redundant, the calm voiceover helps establish the arcade trips as the relaxing break from the tension maintained during most of the challenges.

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
It reminds me of the "let's visit a factory" segments from The Polka Dot Door. Which is a good thing.

Johanz
Nov 3, 2010
Man, I get busy with school stuff, can't watch GCCX as often and then I check in this thread and drat, some really amazing things happened! The live show, Zari-gani hired as a translator! Dang! Congratulations on that and this thread just continues to become this sort of goody success story or something! :3: It burns with Arino's spirit. You gotta fight on, "because there is always an ending!"!

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Wendell posted:

I have. And it's all because of this show. At my job, I had run across some child sized ones with Disney characters which, obviously, no self respecting adult would EVER wear, but I made a note of the name of the company that made it. Kobayashi. Looked them when I got home and surprise, surprise, they have adult sizes! But the only retailer they listed I recognized was Eckards... Which was taken over by CVS in our area years ago. On a whim, though, I went into a CVS looking for them and lo and behold they HAD them! I always buy a few boxes of them when I'm at CVS which is not often (Walgreens is closer). In terms of wearing them, I usually only use them for my migraines. I've yet to need one for a game. Mainly because I usually save and quit before I get that frustrated.

Anyway, I finally saw Genji Vs Heiki.... I don't know which was scarier.. The game or the promo...

As usual, a big thanks to the people that make our GCCX experience possible and I can't wait until the next upload!

Also. GRADIUS! He should play Otomedius. :v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
If anyone is interested, here's a 1680 x 1050 Desktop wallpaper of the King Arino poster.

Download link

ETA:
1920 x 1080: Download link
1920 x 1200: Download link

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 5, 2012

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
I love the Gradius series, but honestly, Gradius 1 is such a lovely game compared to any of the others.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Double Happiness posted:

Really like this show, but does anyone else get annoyed by the overly-cutesy female voice repeating everything that happens on screen? I've seen this a lot in Japanese shows, it's like they think the viewer can't see or something.

Just watching one of the arcade visits he does, one of the machines was broken, and then he goes bowling.

*Arino bowls a strike*

just really irks me.

I think it's a cute voice.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
^^^

animeguy posted:

Yeah, no kidding. :japan:

zari-gani posted:

If anyone is interested, here's a 1680 x 1050 Desktop wallpaper of the King Arino poster.

Download link

Any chance for a 1920 x 1080 version?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

jyrque posted:

Any chance for a 1920 x 1080 version?

or x1200 for us 16:10 viewers?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Crotch Bat posted:

or x1200 for us 16:10 viewers?

We're a dying breed, friend. :(

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Double Happiness posted:

just really irks me.

I also think it's annoying, but more in a sigh-and-roll-your-eyes way than anything really abrasive.

Skylark posted:

Uguu~

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Double Happiness posted:

*Arino bowls a strike*

just really irks me.

Isn't that just a Japanese "thing?"

Such as -
"Metal Gear."
"Metal Gear...!?"

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Double Happiness posted:

*Arino bowls a strike*

just really irks me.

I have no problems with this, actually hadn't really paid attention to it before you mentioned it. Anyways, instead of this, complain about American documentaries repeating everything that happened last 5 minutes, every 5 minutes.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

What's this? A wallpaper I'd like, in my native resolution, and I didn't have to ask for it?

Oh this is a fine morning. Thank you!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
1920 x 1080: http://i.imgur.com/I5ISi.jpg

1920 x 1200: http://i.imgur.com/v3FBP.jpg

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

1920 x 1080: http://i.imgur.com/I5ISi.jpg

1920 x 1200: http://i.imgur.com/v3FBP.jpg