Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Rule .303 posted:

Wow, what country was enslaving children and gunning down labor organizers in the 50’s and 60's? Oh, right, Albania, sorry. I’m going to have to call foul on a third offense of a strawman argument: Only a sociopath or a narcissistic dictator with dreams of world conquest would be in favor of that.

Also please don’t attribute i shoot friendlies’s posts to me.

And if you really want to talk about my fantasies, they tend to include more Indonesian women than compliance with zoning ordinances, but it is a matter of taste, like the lady said when she kissed a cow.

Working conditions are always worth discussing, but I have yet to see passing laws, regulations and policy statements actually make things better. They are more likely to drive companies out of business and, “shrink the universe of available jobs” (as I believe the Department of Commerce so carefully puts it).
Actually, I thought I said that I thought that Mother Jones thought it was worthy of discussing because it was a non-union shop, and any stick works to beat that dog.

Do we want to continue this here? I’d rather make fun of Happy Hat and his struggles with the English Language

Hey, We like you. You don't have to troll to be cool. What's your favorite recipe for stew? I like to make chicken stew from the pre-roasted chickens that go on sale around 2AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

Hey, We like you. You don't have to troll to be cool. What's your favorite recipe for stew? I like to make chicken stew from the pre-roasted chickens that go on sale around 2AM.

SNIPE =suburban chicken stock!

Quote != edit, but you get what I mean.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
I buy those and cook the carcass down with a pressure cooker, but I add in a tablespoon of vinegar to cook out the marrow and the collagen from the bones. I run it through a strainer and pick out the meat to add back in later. It sounds goulish, but when you do this you wind up with stock that wobbles like jello in the fridge.

I add celery and carrots and onions as a sort of garni that gets strained out with the bones, and add more veggies when I add the meat back in with potatoes. It is a great use for the back, wings, and the ever famous "chicken butt".

I'll be doing this next month with a friend who wants help learning to use her pressure cooker. (last month we made gedamptefleish with apricots in a pressure cooker 'cause her gramma used to make it)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I overheard a conversation this weekend between a morbidly obese woman and her friend who literally looked like she fell off the set of trailer park boys (which isn't even that bad really) where the obese woman was wowing her friend by saying something along the lines of 'yeah, me and my husband are REALLY adventurous with our food, we like the spicy things like mexican food, and we try a lot of cold appetizers, and lots of HERBS!! oh but things like duck... EWWWWwwwwWWw its so oily and tastes off' and I was suddenly reminded that most people don't actually care about food at all and are completely ridiculous and that gently caress this gay earth shoot self blguhhhh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh ... my.....

god??

you eat HERBS? wow are you loving nuts that's so crazy!!!

i mean just wow every time i mean ;; i mean just every time i try to eat an herb ... its just like WOW boy.... NO WAY HOSEEEYY. not this girl! "no to herbs" thats what I say!

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Wait til you try cumin.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 5, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rule .303 posted:

Working conditions are always worth discussing, but I have yet to see passing laws, regulations and policy statements actually make things better.
Do you consider the outlawing of slavery to have made things better?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

SubG posted:

Do you consider the outlawing of slavery to have made things better?

Tanzan and Ekido were once travelling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.

"Come on, girl," said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't do near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl there," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Sorry, the correct answer was "yes."

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I just made blutwurst tonight. Never made sausage before. Never cooked with blood before. A night full of firsts :)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Sorry, the correct answer was "yes."
That's the way I was leaning, but hey, maybe I'm just missing something. On the one hand I see that laws and regulations have ended slavery, ended child labour, prevented violence against labour organisers, and so on. On the other hand we have Rule .303's fantasy scenario in which it turns out laws and regulations can be kinda inconvenient.

I must be missing something. Being opposed to slavery is probably a strawman or something.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I just made blutwurst tonight. Never made sausage before. Never cooked with blood before. A night full of firsts :)

nice

what recipe did you use? how did it turn out? black pudding and blood sausage are two things I've often thought about making, but never really tried to do.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

mindphlux posted:

nice

what recipe did you use? how did it turn out? black pudding and blood sausage are two things I've often thought about making, but never really tried to do.

A friend of mine in Bavaria gave me a cookbook from the Palatine region and it's of that style. Basically boil half a rasher of skin-on bacon, cube, grind with onions and garlic, add salt, nutmeg, white pepper, coriander, allspice, etc. Combine with a few pints of pigs blood. Stuff, boil, store.

Being my first sausage endeavor, some of mine were overfilled and popped, but 75% of them remained intact. Got some dark rye bread in the oven right now and will try with that for breakfast tomorrow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I always have rice in my blood sausage - you didn't have anything in there to soak up the blood or anything?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always have rice in my blood sausage - you didn't have anything in there to soak up the blood or anything?

rice is if you're making boudin noir, IIRC. Blood will congeal when heated either way so its moot. The ground pork belly with the onions and blood makes for a mostly solid stuffing material anyway.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Maybe I'll try it that way next batch. Normally I make morcilla with a lot of hot chiles and really thick casings, but I'm always up for new recipes.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ground oats is what we use to add structure to the blood sausage. I hear barley, either flour or pearl, works too.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Soondae uses noodles. I don't think I've seen any blood sausage without some kind of grain product included. I like blood pudding but not chunks of straight-up congealed blood, and I imagine that's fairly common given the nigh-universality of grain-bound blood sausage and the rarity of pure blood chunks in world cuisine.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Isn't using the straw man counter argument a straw man argument in itself?

I think my nan used rolled oats for her blood saussage, I remember the taste, it was good, irony, sweet - and I hated it after the second bite.. but the first bite, oh that loving first bite was heaven!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

Soondae uses noodles. I don't think I've seen any blood sausage without some kind of grain product included. I like blood pudding but not chunks of straight-up congealed blood, and I imagine that's fairly common given the nigh-universality of grain-bound blood sausage and the rarity of pure blood chunks in world cuisine.

Curdled blood is big in South-East Asia and China ("red tofu"), so by total volume eaten I'd say it's a big chunk (heh) of the total world consumption.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

SubG posted:

That's the way I was leaning, but hey, maybe I'm just missing something. On the one hand I see that laws and regulations have ended slavery, ended child labour, prevented violence against labour organisers, and so on. On the other hand we have Rule .303's fantasy scenario in which it turns out laws and regulations can be kinda inconvenient.

I must be missing something. Being opposed to slavery is probably a strawman or something.

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.
Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Hey look you guys, this guy is so smart and worldly he trolls and then responds in parables.

Seriously I don't post in D&D for a reason. Can we go back to talking about, I dunno, stripper cheese or something?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Rule .303 posted:

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.
Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Yeah, I don't give a poo poo about debating in here, but your use of Zen koans in response is loving irritating.

Mostly because I was raised Buddhist by my grandma when I was a kid, and using these stories as meta-debate commentary instead of making a legitimate point is stupid.

EDIT: I agree with kiteless, let's talk about smegma or strippers or something.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 5, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
The cup argument is clearly invalid....

A cup cannot be full of opinions and speculations, it is a cup! It can be filled with air, and then it can be filled with a cup shaped liquid. I think what you're doing is an antropomorphisism. Next thing is that the cutesy cup will dance around and assist in the marriage of perfectly fine young women to hairy beasts.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Happy Hat posted:

The cup argument is clearly invalid....

A cup cannot be full of opinions and speculations, it is a cup! It can be filled with air, and then it can be filled with a cup shaped liquid. I think what you're doing is an antropomorphisism. Next thing is that the cutesy cup will dance around and assist in the marriage of perfectly fine young women to hairy beasts.

I see your confusion; let me clear things up. Japan has a long history of talking, intelligent, living cups. For most of Japan's history, the cup race, or Koppu people, have been enslaved and forced to work in gruelling conditions, risking their lips and handles every day. But then came America and the atom bomb; radioactive particles killed off the entire Koppu race, and overnight Japan had to retool their economy. While most of Japan has forgotten this sordid past, Zen koans refer to the truth, although most people dismiss it as fantasy.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I had to go to a Ducks Unlimited banquet this past Saturday for work. The booze was free, and the steak was actually really good. I sat across from my old boss at the grocery store I worked at in high school. S.O.B. actually put ketchup. On. His. Steak. I have heard people bitching about it in GWS forever, I just never encountered it in the wild.

On the bright side, my boss and I entered our free raffle tickets. We put his auction bid number on all of them to save me writing my name on 20 tickets, and wouldn't you know it, he was the first one called. He had his choice of six guns. Long story short, while he was filling out his NICS paperwork, his number was called again! He went home with a Mossberg lever action 30-30 and I took home a Remington 870. Aside from watching a man eat a well-done steak with ketchup, an excellent night.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That is a good raffle win.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That is a good raffle win.

Yep

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DU dinner guns represents.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone used general slicers?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bfs/2883475443.html

I can't tell what this this costs new, but this might be a good deal? usually the models with built in sharpening stones are pretty nice...

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Happy Hat posted:

Ok.. seriously!

Some of the words that are used in English texts are something that you guys clearly are sitting around inventing, while drinking bong-water mixed with vodka, and taking the piss on all the foreigners.

This is exacerbating international tension.

Edit: Websters is written by goddamn adolescent school-boys! gently caress!

Edit2: Some of these words are loving unpronouncable..

You are a consistently wonderful poster. Let us know what you are having issues with. Someone here can set you right, or at the very least lead you amusingly astray. It's the least we owe you.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Seriously if I could grow happy hat in a pot on my roof in my garden I would never be alone.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Seriously if I could grow happy hat in a pot on my roof in my garden I would never be alone.

I'm gonna start a grow-op, make a killer strain called happy-hat, and watch it lead to the end of all wars.

Or I would keep it for myself and get mega-ripped 24/7.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Well now I want to make "Hoppy Hat" ale.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pnumoman posted:

I see your confusion; let me clear things up. Japan has a long history of talking, intelligent, living cups. For most of Japan's history, the cup race, or Koppu people, have been enslaved and forced to work in gruelling conditions, risking their lips and handles every day. But then came America and the atom bomb; radioactive particles killed off the entire Koppu race, and overnight Japan had to retool their economy. While most of Japan has forgotten this sordid past, Zen koans refer to the truth, although most people dismiss it as fantasy.

I always thought that excessive governmental regulation killed off the Koppu, but I suppose I was wrong.

You'll all be pleased to know that I am no longer, how shall I put it, blocked up.

Also, zuppa di pasta e fagioli with homemade focaccia (King Arthur blitz recipe with sage, rosemary and sea salt) is a good winter meal.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Skimmed last 200 posts--saw lolbertarian chat and circumcision chat. I miss anything else?

Also, I cooked a huge loving Indian dinner party this weekend and half my family didn't show up. It's ok, the cool half did show up and we had a balla time.

Tandoori chicken
Channa Masala
Cabbage masala
Lemon + peanut rice pilau
Samosas
Onion Pakora
Pistachio ice cream
Banana/vanilla bean ice cream
Spice cake with vanilla cardamom frosting

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I too am interested to know what words HH is having trouble with. Hey we should play WWF again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Macaroni posted:

Skimmed last 200 posts--saw lolbertarian chat and circumcision chat. I miss anything else?

Also, I cooked a huge loving Indian dinner party this weekend and half my family didn't show up. It's ok, the cool half did show up and we had a balla time.

Tandoori chicken
Channa Masala
Cabbage masala
Lemon + peanut rice pilau
Samosas
Onion Pakora
Pistachio ice cream
Banana/vanilla bean ice cream
Spice cake with vanilla cardamom frosting
That sounds amazing.

Don't know where the HH slurs are coming from; his English is better than a lot if first-language speakers, with a metric poo poo ton more character and colour.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Ok.. seriously!

Some of the words that are used in English texts are something that you guys clearly are sitting around inventing, while drinking bong-water mixed with vodka, and taking the piss on all the foreigners.

This is exacerbating international tension.

Edit: Websters is written by goddamn adolescent school-boys! gently caress!

Edit2: Some of these words are loving unpronouncable..

I would love to know what these words are. Knowing a couple different languages you know that some things come over in a funny way. It is like the words "floor" and "ground". A special English sentence just for HH:

Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

In Virginia, we have a poo poo ton of different specialty license plates (bowling enthusiast? We've got a plate for you!) which can result in hilarity. The classic is of course the "kids first" vanity plate reading EAT THE

I saw the best one. It was a Ducks Unlimited plate that read CONFIT