Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Etho came up with a super creepy ability that custom map makers should have fun with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g56acrJk2to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The poo poo people manage to do in this game never ceases to amaze me.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

Etho came up with a super creepy ability that custom map makers should have fun with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g56acrJk2to

The trap at the end of this is pretty rad.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Macaluso posted:

The poo poo people manage to do in this game never ceases to amaze me.

Check out a dude named sethbling on Youtube. Your mind will be blown.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Vargs posted:

The trap at the end of this is pretty rad.

I've been playing this game since the F2P weekend, and I STILL can't figure out how to make sand NOT fall like he does.

So yeah. How do you make sand not fall with nothing underneath it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
With a map editor.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Pretentious Turtle posted:

With a map editor.

:doh:

I guess I've pretty much forgotten about map editors since 1.8...save for the occasional bit of changing lava to water when I fall into it and exit quickly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it possible to usher a pair of Testificates to a new location and get them to effectively found a new village there where a few buildings are? I'm on SMP without editing privileges, of I'd just spawn some.

Also, if a village is killed off entirely now, does it just plain die without respawns?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 5, 2012

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I've made some changes to the interface in my engine and thought I'd show a video of it in action. I used the tools to build half of a church style structure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhn_G9T4U0Q

It is creeping slightly closer to some wider playtesting.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
The more I see of your engine, the more I like it. :allears: Loving the circular shapes you can make too!

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Thanks dude! I'm addicted to making this thing now. I guess it is my crack.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

DuFfY posted:

It's great that you're having fun making it. It means we get to see videos like that and hopefully try it out someday :)

That texture pack really suits the style. I think it actually suits your game more than it suits minecraft. Possibly because your game has slopes and other shapes which match the feel of the textures more.

The new interface improvements definitely look like they work well too. Nice and obvious how you would use it.

Please keep us updated!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Is that Sphax? That texture pack needs to be some game's default texture pack, it's fantastic.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

simosimo posted:

Is that Sphax? That texture pack needs to be some game's default texture pack, it's fantastic.
Yeah it is. It's my go to texture for minecraft and it looks amazing in duffys game.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

D34THROW posted:

Oh, this is all sorts of sadistic and awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fJ5ikWtwaY

I want to play.

I gather it is one of the Voxelbox texture packs they use in this video, but which? I really like that they have spiderwebs (?) as what looks like gusts of wind.

Which really reminds me, that I have to hack a texture pack together of all the best packs out there. SMP, Painterly, some Jolicraft and perhaps some from the Fez-inspired pack.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

DuFfY posted:

I've made some changes to the interface in my engine and thought I'd show a video of it in action. I used the tools to build half of a church style structure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhn_G9T4U0Q

It is creeping slightly closer to some wider playtesting.

Sphax really looks good in that type of engine!

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Iacen posted:

I gather it is one of the Voxelbox texture packs they use in this video, but which? I really like that they have spiderwebs (?) as what looks like gusts of wind.

Which really reminds me, that I have to hack a texture pack together of all the best packs out there. SMP, Painterly, some Jolicraft and perhaps some from the Fez-inspired pack.

It's hard to tell with all the extra stuff going on, but the Villager and the health/food/item bars are straight out of Sphax.

Rack fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 5, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The latest news on the Xbox 360 version is that it will have 4 player split screen, and 8 player online. Also, you can mix and match between the two so you could have 4 people playing on one console building in the same world as 4 people on another console. That's actually pretty cool. Along with the stuff about having built in crafting recipes and such it seems like the console port is being produced with a fairly high degree of professionalism.

Considering how terribly Minecraft runs on my ancient MacBook, I may end up getting the 360 version.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

If the Xbox edition can 1) use custom texture packs, 2) use Creative and 3) share levels with the regular version, I'm getting it.

Texture packs might not happen, but I wish the other things might happen.
(Not bloody likely)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Iacen posted:

If the Xbox edition can 1) use custom texture packs, 2) use Creative and 3) share levels with the regular version, I'm getting it.

Texture packs might not happen, but I wish the other things might happen.
(Not bloody likely)

They said their priorities are skins, then texture packs, then mods. In all cases these would have to be an Xbox specific solution but they said they understand how important these things are.

They also said they had been asked repeatedly about compatibility with existing Minecraft worlds but right now that has been ruled out as the Xbox edition is going to be a few versions behind the main game so that is causing issues. Whether or not that will change is something for the future.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Every time I cut down one of the huge trees in the jungle I fear releasing Tim Curry upon the server.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Parkingtigers posted:

They said their priorities are skins, then texture packs, then mods. In all cases these would have to be an Xbox specific solution but they said they understand how important these things are.

They also said they had been asked repeatedly about compatibility with existing Minecraft worlds but right now that has been ruled out as the Xbox edition is going to be a few versions behind the main game so that is causing issues. Whether or not that will change is something for the future.

Yeah, I'll definitely be picking up MC on the 360, but it sucks that it'll be Beta 1.7.3. I'm fairly certain that's the version the guys at 4J locked themselves at, for now.

It'll be interesting to see how this all of these issues will be handled when it hits the 360. I have no doubt that it'll be more solid, and personally, I don't care about texture packs, as I've been happily using the default textures for a while now, but it'd be nice to have custom skins. Or hell, even a skin editor!

Parkingtigers posted:

The latest news on the Xbox 360 version is that it will have 4 player split screen, and 8 player online. Also, you can mix and match between the two so you could have 4 people playing on one console building in the same world as 4 people on another console. That's actually pretty cool. Along with the stuff about having built in crafting recipes and such it seems like the console port is being produced with a fairly high degree of professionalism.

Considering how terribly Minecraft runs on my ancient MacBook, I may end up getting the 360 version.

Is there a source or an interview where all of this was mentioned? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to read info about the 360 version :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 5, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

They could just make it compatible with severs of that specific old version on PC so that people can run a server and clients of that version if they want console/PC compatibility.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ColHannibal posted:

Every time I cut down one of the huge trees in the jungle I fear releasing Tim Curry upon the server.

Tim Curry's danger is manageable... unless you've also installed Industrial Craft.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a source or an interview where all of this was mentioned? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to read info about the 360 version :allears:

Posted on the Minecraft Facebook page: http://www.hookshotinc.com/minecraft-for-xbox-splitscreen-and-more/

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

DuFfY posted:

Welcome to early Notch.

Soon you will make it more and more fun while adding neat things to it, then add multiplayer begrudgingly at fan demand, and slow down due to dislike of what it's become and maintaining decent netcode.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah sorry for not including the link (I understand that was kind of discourteous of me), but I bounced into it via Twitter and then couldn't find it again later. I did just find this new video clip though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fIkc0st34Y&feature=youtu.be

First 2 minutes are about Xbox Minecraft and shows the split screen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If there's Kinect support, it might be the ultimate workout game. First punch your way down to baserock level, then jump up a mountain slope.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

ThndrShk2k posted:

Welcome to early Notch.

Soon you will make it more and more fun while adding neat things to it, then add multiplayer begrudgingly at fan demand, and slow down due to dislike of what it's become and maintaining decent netcode.

It was multiplayer from day one!

edit: Point is noted

DuFfY fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 5, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Schwarzwald posted:

Tim Curry's danger is manageable... unless you've also installed Industrial Craft.

Thankfully I've learned to mark the proper trees for cutting with red wool x's.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nenonen posted:

If there's Kinect support, it might be the ultimate workout game. First punch your way down to baserock level, then jump up a mountain slope.

I'm one of those players who obsessively installs staircases anytime there is a one-block ledge that is jump-able. I prefer staircases in mines too. I would ruin the fitness aspect of this.

It kind of annoys me when people can just use /home or /spawn to get back because then they never have to go up my staircase. :(

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

DuFfY posted:

It was multiplayer from day one!

edit: Point is noted

Well then that changes everything!

Seriously though if you think you're hitting a snag don't feel like you owe it to the players to keep working on aspects of the game you don't feel enthused about. Notch had a bitch of a time converting creative to SMP, and he really didn't like it. You've avoided that mess thankfully.

Although what's the plan, just building? Or are there going to be options for other sim aspects/mods? (for example city building)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Now I want a proper Fergully mod. Cut down some special tree and this black water leaks out, every piece of wood it touches becomes a new spout , it can only be stopped with water, and that turns it into wood again.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

ThndrShk2k posted:

Well then that changes everything!

Seriously though if you think you're hitting a snag don't feel like you owe it to the players to keep working on aspects of the game you don't feel enthused about. Notch had a bitch of a time converting creative to SMP, and he really didn't like it. You've avoided that mess thankfully.

Although what's the plan, just building? Or are there going to be options for other sim aspects/mods? (for example city building)

You're right. I don't plan on caving to requests, I'm just trying to make the game I want to play. Though I do hope I'm not the only one who wants to play it.

My notepad has all the gritty details. I've got my version 1 pretty well planned out though. There is an adventuring aspect, I want to tap into the whole roguelike genre - multileveled, randomly generated, underground dungeons. I'm really looking forward to making the dungeon generator. These mazelike structures will be inhabited by 3 or 4 types of randomly generated monster and involve a boss fight on the bottom level. A major focus of my development will be making these dungeons, monsters and boss fights interesting. If it all gets too hard, a rarer form of explosive will let you blow right through the dungeon floor to the next level.

The building aspect will generally be done on the surface in the safe areas of the world, the adventuring side will involve taming areas of the land and making them safe via conquering these dungeons. The farther out you venture, the harder the dungeons become.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Parkingtigers posted:

Yeah sorry for not including the link (I understand that was kind of discourteous of me), but I bounced into it via Twitter and then couldn't find it again later. I did just find this new video clip though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fIkc0st34Y&feature=youtu.be

Splitscreen multiplayer actually sounds like a lot of fun. There's nothing like playing a game with your friend on the same couch. The recipe manager looks complex, but I know that's just the interface and that it's been made simpler for everyone. Probably the best way to handle the lack of a cursor being able to pick up and drop items into the grid. Looks pretty good too. Did I notice some field of vision blur as the player turned?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DuFfY posted:

You're right. I don't plan on caving to requests, I'm just trying to make the game I want to play. Though I do hope I'm not the only one who wants to play it.

My notepad has all the gritty details. I've got my version 1 pretty well planned out though. There is an adventuring aspect, I want to tap into the whole roguelike genre - multileveled, randomly generated, underground dungeons. I'm really looking forward to making the dungeon generator. These mazelike structures will be inhabited by 3 or 4 types of randomly generated monster and involve a boss fight on the bottom level. A major focus of my development will be making these dungeons, monsters and boss fights interesting. If it all gets too hard, a rarer form of explosive will let you blow right through the dungeon floor to the next level.

The building aspect will generally be done on the surface in the safe areas of the world, the adventuring side will involve taming areas of the land and making them safe via conquering these dungeons. The farther out you venture, the harder the dungeons become.
This sounds like something I want to play, as well. The lack of this is one of my main dislikes of Minecraft.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Parkingtigers posted:

I think Minecraft actually looks prettier on 360 than the PC version.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think Minecraft actually looks prettier on 360 than the PC version.

The lighting looks better, smoother frame rate when panning too. I'm sort of curious if they are going to transition to the XBLA binary for the PC in a few point releases (1.5? 2.0?) now that they have the new map format sorted out, and they've hired the bukkit crew to work on modding support full time. I imagine that the XBLA version is a clean sheet design with a lot of deeply rooted flaws fixed up front.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hadlock posted:

The lighting looks better, smoother frame rate when panning too. I'm sort of curious if they are going to transition to the XBLA binary for the PC in a few point releases (1.5? 2.0?) now that they have the new map format sorted out, and they've hired the bukkit crew to work on modding support full time. I imagine that the XBLA version is a clean sheet design with a lot of deeply rooted flaws fixed up front.

I can't see them strictly adding stuff in to the XBLA version in the same order they were brought in on PC. First and foremost, it'd be great if biomes and world height were fixed first, and then extra stuff (like friendly/unfriendly mobs) were brought in.

Anyone have a list of the differences between beta 1.7.3 and release 1.2.3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Despite the lack of mods/textures etc, I have high hopes for the Xbox version as far as vanilla Minecraft is concerned. In one earlier interview (and I again apologise for going only from memory here) the Dev in charge of the conversion basically stated outright that it could not be allowed to run like poo poo in the way that the PC version does. Immediately that got my interest as there was no attempt to softsoap the incredibly piss poor performance most people see, and a seeming desire to correct that for the version he was in charge of. Adding in stuff like tutorials and full crafting recipes so that a wiki isn't needed also seems to be an almost deliberate way of saying "screw you Notch the game can be better".

gently caress it, I'll just be happy for a version of Minecraft that is actually playable. I'll miss the new additions that have been made, until the game gets that all patched in, but having a controller and a big TV and a framerate that can be measured in double digits and I'll throw my money at them.