Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

big mean giraffe posted:

There are several Evo 4G ROMs with working cameras. And WiMax is a joke.
Yeah, but you said fully functional. It's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Anyone with a 3GS want to chime in on how your phone is running on iOS 5?
Almost everyone who has it says it runs as well as iOS 4 did. (Obviously, it's missing a couple features: Siri and Facetime (no front camera).)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah, but you said fully functional. It's not.

Yeah, I have to say that I currently use 4g more than 3g+wifi combined on my phone. From both anecdotal 'this seems faster' and speedtests, the 4g is a big deal for my phone (especially since I share my signal to others in the office through wifi tethering). I really like the Evo3d, and won't go to a Nexus S due to its screen size, but the minute I can switch to a 4.3" or bigger phone thats a Nexus I'll make the jump.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
2G, 3G, and 4G sucks where I live, but I went to an city with amazing reception indoors and out for a weekend. It was like having a whole new phone. Battery lasted for forever. I could actually do the poo poo I expected to be able to do on my phone. And I was reliably pulling down like 12 mbps with 4G without losing signal.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
2G, 3G, and 4G sucks where I live, but I went to an city with amazing reception indoors and out for a weekend. It was like having a whole new phone. Battery lasted for forever. I could actually do the poo poo I expected to be able to do on my phone. And I was reliably pulling down like 12 mbps with 4G without losing signal.
My wife has been complaining a lot about her phone lately, but I think a lot of her complaints stem more from Sprint service than the phone itself. I'm half tempted to drop her from our share plan and just get her a Verizon plan and an iPhone. She's not a data-heavy user, so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

I deal with crappy Sprint service by connecting to wifi whenever I have the chance, which is pretty much the only thing that makes my battery usable. It's hard to get her to do the same thing, though. I can't wait for Network Vision to really take off...

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

brc64 posted:

My wife has been complaining a lot about her phone lately, but I think a lot of her complaints stem more from Sprint service than the phone itself. I'm half tempted to drop her from our share plan and just get her a Verizon plan and an iPhone. She's not a data-heavy user, so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

I deal with crappy Sprint service by connecting to wifi whenever I have the chance, which is pretty much the only thing that makes my battery usable. It's hard to get her to do the same thing, though. I can't wait for Network Vision to really take off...

This is my situation. My Evo 3D itself is great and I never have battery issues on wifi. But working inside an office will drain my battery in 8hrs from just listening to music and the occasional texting, due to how awful the signal is (1-2 bars of 1x, with 3g rarely popping up). I'm in a full 3g coverage area but the building penetration is horrific. No WiMax here so I don't worry if ROMs don't support it.

So I keep it plugged in all day at my desk and keep hoping for Network Vision to get here. I doubt it will before my contract is up though, so I'm strongly considering dealing with Verizon's data caps and switching. No point in having unlimited data when your speeds are slower than dialup.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I hear ya here, and I run I to similar things. Speeds in and around Philly are weird, sometimes 3G is fine and can pull up Internet in a snap, other areas its just terrible (yes probably due to congestion).

I'm pretty sure sprint officially upgraded 3G in Atlanta in preparation for LTE, so I'm very curious to see reviews on the results.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Duckman2008 posted:

I have an arrive (windows phone) and I'm curious to see what Microsoft does, they made a big deal over unified updates and phones getting updates to a certain point. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'm waiting to see.

My only complaint with apple update wise is its pretty obvious they haven't brought Siri to the iphone 4 so they have a bigger incentive to sell the 4S.

Siri will never run on the 4.

quote:

This technology is critical for the new phone because not only does it improve call quality, it blocks out background noise when users provide voice commands to Siri, the intelligent assistant built into the iPhone 4S. Without this noise reduction, Siri would be unusable even with a modest amount of background noise.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Starting this morning, my EVO 3D has been rebooting like crazy. Minutes ago, was the 20th reboot of the day. I've not installed anything new in the past week or so, so I have no idea what in the hell is causing this. Pulling the battery didn't help. Is there an way to figure out what may be causing this? I wish there was like a system event log or something.

This is a completely stock, un-rooted phone. Fully updated. Anybody else have anything like this happen on their EVO 3D?

Aaaand, it just rebooted again for #21 before I could even finish this post. What the hell.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SneakyCracker posted:

Starting this morning, my EVO 3D has been rebooting like crazy. Minutes ago, was the 20th reboot of the day. I've not installed anything new in the past week or so, so I have no idea what in the hell is causing this. Pulling the battery didn't help. Is there an way to figure out what may be causing this? I wish there was like a system event log or something.

This is a completely stock, un-rooted phone. Fully updated. Anybody else have anything like this happen on their EVO 3D?

Aaaand, it just rebooted again for #21 before I could even finish this post. What the hell.

If wiping it doesn't fix it take it into a tech center.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

If wiping it doesn't fix it take it into a tech center.

I just went to one of those today, to get my wife's phone fixed. loving hour and a half drive each way.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

mason likes onions posted:

Voice commands work just fine on any Android phone I've used them on, so I still think they're full of it.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Voice commands work just fine on any Android phone I've used them on, so I still think they're full of it.

Not to mention that Siri was a third party company and app before which worked fine until Apple bought them and then disabled it with the advent of the 4S. I think it worked as far back as the 3GS or something.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SneakyCracker posted:

I just went to one of those today, to get my wife's phone fixed. loving hour and a half drive each way.

You were at the service center, with a phone in your pocket you knew had been rebooting all day, and it didn't occur to you to say anything?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

mason likes onions posted:

Jailbroken iPhone 4 will run Siri just fine. You can connect to a third party server for processing, or can even connect to an official Apple server using authentication taken from a 4s.

It's planned obsolescence.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krittick posted:

So I keep it plugged in all day at my desk and keep hoping for Network Vision to get here. I doubt it will before my contract is up though, so I'm strongly considering dealing with Verizon's data caps and switching. No point in having unlimited data when your speeds are slower than dialup.

I'm in the same boat at this point, except I have four lines on a family plan to deal with and two are on Evo 3ds, so I'm stuck at least another eighteen months or so.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

goku chewbacca posted:

Jailbroken iPhone 4 will run Siri just fine. You can connect to a third party server for processing, or can even connect to an official Apple server using authentication taken from a 4s.

Welp, at least 3GS owners can get the update.

Wonder how Evo 3D users feel about that.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

Welp, at least 3GS owners can get the update.

Wonder how Evo 3D users feel about that.

What are you on about?

On the topic of Sprint phones and service, my wife picked up a galaxy S2. How in the world is that phone so much lighter than the 3D?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

WoG posted:

You were at the service center, with a phone in your pocket you knew had been rebooting all day, and it didn't occur to you to say anything?

When I was at the service center, it had only rebooted a couple of times by that point. I wasn't alarmed yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Is this better or worse than unplanned-but-to-be-expected obsolescence like every non-Nexus Android phone?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Whelp, a replacement EVO 3D is on its way to me after having talked with someone in tech support and him trying further resets on the phone (and having it reboot almost immediately after). Should be here tomorrow.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

spidoman posted:

What are you on about?

On the topic of Sprint phones and service, my wife picked up a galaxy S2. How in the world is that phone so much lighter than the 3D?

I hold a couple of non-popular or seemingly against the grain opinions on smartphones. One of them is that I see absolutely zero benefit to having a heavier device, but many smartphone review sites and comments on forums seem to equate heavier with higher quality. As if the weight of the phone in your pocket is like the satisfying clunk of a german car door closing or something.

I hate how heavy and brick like the EVO 3D is. I want the lightest and thinnest device possible and I don't give a poo poo if they use plastic instead of metal to do it.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sprint is giving away 30 Galaxy Nexus phones.

You can enter once a day online until April 5th. If you have a phone with a touchscreen, you can play their Data Storm game at sprint.com/datastorm and get one additional entry for each day OR you can send a postcard via mail once a day for an additional entry.

The contest ends April 5th and they'll do the drawing on April 16th.

I don't know if this means the Galaxy Nexus is coming next month but if not April then maybe May.

Has anyone been able to get the Data Storm game to work? I've got a (rooted, running CM7) Evo 4G and I can get to the little background story before you start the game. But when you get to the point where I assume the game actually starts, my phone just sits there.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Jensen posted:

I hold a couple of non-popular or seemingly against the grain opinions on smartphones. One of them is that I see absolutely zero benefit to having a heavier device, but many smartphone review sites and comments on forums seem to equate heavier with higher quality. As if the weight of the phone in your pocket is like the satisfying clunk of a german car door closing or something.

I hate how heavy and brick like the EVO 3D is. I want the lightest and thinnest device possible and I don't give a poo poo if they use plastic instead of metal to do it.

That does seem pretty against the grain. I couldn't care less how heavy it is unless it has the density of a dying star. Why does it matter how heavy it is?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chizad posted:

Has anyone been able to get the Data Storm game to work? I've got a (rooted, running CM7) Evo 4G and I can get to the little background story before you start the game. But when you get to the point where I assume the game actually starts, my phone just sits there.

It works for me on my Nexus S 4G, but it has really bad hit detection. You have to use a slightly firm tap rather than a light one. It's playable though.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It works for me on my Nexus S 4G, but it has really bad hit detection. You have to use a slightly firm tap rather than a light one. It's playable though.
Got it on my Evo 4G, and it loads and plays, but yeah, the hit detection is atrocious. Got an extra entry in the contest playing it this morning, though. It's a little ridiculous that in the stock browser, the droplets come by so fast that you need to tap really quickly around the screen, which of course registers as a double tap and attempts to zoom in / fullscreen the game, changing the dimensions and causing a full redraw which completely throws off the gameplay. :downs:

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
That does seem pretty against the grain. I couldn't care less how heavy it is unless it has the density of a dying star. Why does it matter how heavy it is?

Do you do anything active with your phone? Do you ever wear it on an armband?

I use My Tracks a ton for tracking my mountain bike rides and running, etc. I'm not complaining that the extra ounces are impacting performance to any great extent (not that they help) but the weight can throw off the balance of your stride and the difference can basically be summed up by saying that, with a heavier device, you always know it's there, whereas a lighter device can disappear.

The other big situation that I notice is when I'm wearing loose fitting shorts. I have a thin frame and having a big clunky device in my pocket can cause this annoying pendulum effect. Also, I feel like it is loving with my extremely cool gait.

I'd ask you the same question as to why you (or anyone else) would prefer a heavier device, but I suspect I'd get the same kind of "it just feels gooood mannn" type of answers I just gave for why I want them lighter.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

Got it on my Evo 4G, and it loads and plays, but yeah, the hit detection is atrocious. Got an extra entry in the contest playing it this morning, though. It's a little ridiculous that in the stock browser, the droplets come by so fast that you need to tap really quickly around the screen, which of course registers as a double tap and attempts to zoom in / fullscreen the game, changing the dimensions and causing a full redraw which completely throws off the gameplay. :downs:

Does it work better in other browsers? I've had the game outright freeze or something too.

I don't think the game is run on Flash because I have plugins set to run on demand. Maybe HTML5? I could be wrong about it not being Flash though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jensen posted:

I have a thin frame and having a big clunky device in my pocket can cause this annoying pendulum effect. Also, I feel like it is loving with my extremely cool gait.

you're talking about 4.6 ounces (sgs2) vs 6 ounces (evo3d). A difference of 1.4 ounces..is enough to knock you off balance with the phone in your pocket. Are you made of balloons?

samsung makes things from cheaper lighter plastic so they feel less solid compared to motorola or htc or nokia, or apple, or anyone else, except maybe LG.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

samsung makes things from cheaper lighter plastic so they feel less solid compared to motorola or htc or nokia, or apple, or anyone else, except maybe LG.
The optimus has great solidity, tyvm.

Guppie
Apr 8, 2010

Pokies?
Soiled Meat

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Old WinMo devices definitely did not get OEM support for two years, hell they were lucky to get any upgrade at all.

Well, my HTC Touch did get an official upgrade from WM6 to 6.1 during its lifetime -- fixed the GPS, added EVDO Rev. A, in addition to various other fixes. Never received an official 6.5 update though.

Fortunately, there were decent mods for the Touch, which is also true of many Android phones.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've got an EVO 4g(the original lol) on the new SERO plan. I don't use the 4g ever because local area is awful, so are there any Android phones that don't have the 4g data surcharge?

Lynchman
May 18, 2004

What's with Sprint adjusting my bill so my discount is less? I noticed that the family plan price is now 110 and the additional line is 19.99. The last two months my bill has climbed 5 bucks.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Lynchman posted:

What's with Sprint adjusting my bill so my discount is less? I noticed that the family plan price is now 110 and the additional line is 19.99. The last two months my bill has climbed 5 bucks.

You can get out ETF-free because of that change.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Russian Bear posted:

I've got an EVO 4g(the original lol) on the new SERO plan. I don't use the 4g ever because local area is awful, so are there any Android phones that don't have the 4g data surcharge?

They told me it's not a 4g charge...it's a smart phone charge.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Russian Bear posted:

Spec-wise, the best phones on SERO-P ($40) are the HTC Arrive (windows phone) and LG Marquee.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

You can get out ETF-free because of that change.

And to add to this, its a tricky subject but the specific policy that I have run into seems to be that it does void your contract, but you have 60 days to take advantage ans cash out. I had a dude get hosed by the unlimited data change on aircards (in terms of getting out early, not overages) because he didn't realize there was a time frame and when he called to cancel sprint refused to waive his fee since he got a notice more than 60 days ago.

So basically, if anyone does get pissed and want to leave for whatever reason, don't wait.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So the Evo3d is 50$ at bestbuy, and I am thinking about switching, from what I have seen the 3d is.... less than steller on it, but I do like the qhd screen and the speed of the phone.

Is it worth getting at that pricepoint? It seems like HTC said it would update the 3d to ICS, so I'm not worried about that.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

It is a good phone, though the Sense is the sensiest ever with swooshing home screens and the like. I trust once 4.0 lands it will be better still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

I hear ya here, and I run I to similar things. Speeds in and around Philly are weird, sometimes 3G is fine and can pull up Internet in a snap, other areas its just terrible (yes probably due to congestion).

I'm pretty sure sprint officially upgraded 3G in Atlanta in preparation for LTE, so I'm very curious to see reviews on the results.
I think my problems are usually more lack of sufficient coverage than congestion. Heaven forbid I try to look at Facebook from the middle of Target, or inside just about any mall.

Except for the Apple Store, which has full bars. :lol: