Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

angryhampster posted:

Theoretically, it should work fairly well. It's just hideous/scary-looking. A solid spacer would be ideal.

I guess I don't get the point of the whole setup. Most of the pictures are exceeded bandwidth. Is this just the dumb rear end way to not replace struts and still lower the car? Aren't lowering springs and shocks fairly available? I'd guess that there may even be a drop in air setup for a reasonable price. I mean this kid has some money pissed away in stereo stuff, why not blow some on suspension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

angryhampster posted:

Theoretically, it should work fairly well. It's just hideous/scary-looking. A solid spacer would be ideal.

Not, it wouldn't. The strut top and surrounding monocoque was designed for taking force upwards inside the strut top (concave is a strong shape), putting it on the outside will pull it into a cone-type shape which is not where the strength is in that metal at all.

PeaceFrog posted:

I guess I don't get the point of the whole setup. Most of the pictures are exceeded bandwidth. Is this just the dumb rear end way to not replace struts and still lower the car? Aren't lowering springs and shocks fairly available? I'd guess that there may even be a drop in air setup for a reasonable price. I mean this kid has some money pissed away in stereo stuff, why not blow some on suspension?

Compressed shock/strut length is dictated by the length of the shock tube and shaft. The travel is somehere less than the shock tube itself, so you'd need shorter stocks with less travel. When you pull 6 inches of travel out of something with 8 inches of total travel, it bangs around on the bump stops, can coil bind, and possibly bottoming out the shock, which is like an increase of 10000 times in spring rate. That breaks things, and why hellaflush is stupid unless the whole suspension pickup points are redone, and the engineering to do that is beyond prety much anyone without computational engineering software and ability to build custom chassis.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 18, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Who needs book lernin when I got threaded rod, angle iron and a MIG.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DJ Commie posted:

and why hellaflush is stupid unless the whole suspension pickup points are redone, and the engineering to do that is beyond prety much anyone without computational engineering software and ability to build custom chassis.

Somewhere a flushtard's head just exploded and it was good. :allears:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

The Third Man posted:

:stare:

This is not so much a cry for help as it is a suicide attempt. loving hell :ughh:

From work a few weeks ago. One of these Nissan Sentra control arms is not like the other, especially after hitting a curb at 30 mph:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
So I went to take some pictures of the rusting sideskirts on my old car that has been sitting for two years, to get an estimate on how much it would cost to get it patched up before selling it.

Then I noticed the brake fluid line :stare:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it is not supposed to look like that. Kinda happy I haven't found out while driving. I guess it's still holding up since there was no pool of liquid under the car.

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 25, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
the one in the foreground is an ebrake cable isn't it? not really too worrying.

The really blurry ones in the background on the bottom of the floorboard I can't quite see well enough to tell if they are bad or not.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kerrow posted:

I remember a buddy of mine in a mid-late 70's Scirocco (?)had a fuel leak between the tank and the engine. While in the process of fixing it with a steak knife and a dime (hose clamp, cheap rubber tubing - was considered a major hero at the time) I noticed that the hydraulic lines to his rear brakes had rusted out and just been bent-over and vise-gripped closed. I mentioned it to him, told him it wasn't an emergency, but it might be something to eventually get fixed. He never did and it didn't seem to matter...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
How to remove your engine REALLY FAST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b603DA-JE0U

I'm amazed this worked, this is incredibly dumb and and and.... :stare:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Kerrow posted:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it is not supposed to look like that. Kinda happy I haven't found out while driving. I guess it's still holding up since there was no pool of liquid under the car.
I had a hard brake line blow out on a pickup while I was driving it once. The amazing thing: it was after I drove the truck, pulling a boat, about an hour on the interstate and high speed back roads, and the brakes worked fine until I was backing the boat into a barn for winter storage. Only then did it blow out. And it blew out catastrophically with no immediate warning. All of a sudden the pedal would just slide smoothly to the floor. I'm still blown away by the luck I had that day.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That's, uh, one way to do it. :shepface:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Haste makes waste. Thankfully nothing of value was lost. :banjo:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I like how it gave one last throaty growl right after it got released from the vehicle and no longer had any load under it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No, no see you're supposed to tie it to the doorknob then slam the door really hard

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I've heard stories of early post-WWII hot-rodders using roughly the same method to separate car bodies from their chassis. ("chasses"?)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Can't imagine you'd want to be in the car for that, though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Someone had to draw the short straw.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
2006 Ford Explorer. "There's a clunking noise in the rear."

Good to see that Ford at least learned how to make springs that won't puncture a tire when they shatter completely. :ughh:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

:eek:

rear brakes aren't looking too hot either

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Root Bear posted:

Good to see that Ford at least learned how to make springs that won't puncture a tire when they shatter completely. :ughh:

That's an 06? Jesus, Sockington must have gotten to it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rorac posted:

I like how it gave one last throaty growl right after it got released from the vehicle and no longer had any load under it.

Reminds me of that video someone posted a while back of crazy Finns? Swedes? rallying and even as the car is rolling they still have their foot right up it with the engine bouncing off the limiter. WE CAN POWER OUT OF THIS

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Two Finger posted:

Reminds me of that video someone posted a while back of crazy Finns? Swedes? rallying and even as the car is rolling they still have their foot right up it with the engine bouncing off the limiter. WE CAN POWER OUT OF THIS

I thought it was instinctual. Isn't this why they throw on the wipers too, since the switch is on the floor?

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Root Bear posted:

How is that rotor so rusted? Is the calliper seized as well?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

superv0zz posted:

How is that rotor so rusted? Is the calliper seized as well?

Parked it when the spring broke, just got their tax refund so they can finally afford to get it fixed.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Bucephalus posted:

Parked it when the spring broke, just got their tax refund so they can finally afford to get it fixed.

Bingo. I haven't fixed it yet, but I'll see if I can get a pic of it's gangsta lean before I do.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Root Bear posted:

Bingo.

In order catch a thiefunderstand white trash, you have to think likebe one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Better than driving it until the noise became unbearable.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Cakefool posted:

Better than driving it until the noise became unbearable.

Parked it when the noise became unbearable, just got their tax refund so they can finally afford to get it fixed.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That's just a Mcpherson strut, it can't be that hard or expensive to replace :psyduck:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

EightBit posted:

That's just a Mcpherson strut

What?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

That's just a Mcpherson strut,

Uhh...no.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Redundant upper control arm. Built Ford tough.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Root Bear posted:

This is not so much a cry for help as it is a suicide attempt. loving hell :ughh:

From work a few weeks ago. One of these Nissan Sentra control arms is not like the other, especially after hitting a curb at 30 mph:

Hey I recognize those! Just did my ball joints and CV's but was wondering how much of a bitch it is to do the control arms as mine are rusted to poo poo. Do they come off easy?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Hey I recognize those! Just did my ball joints and CV's but was wondering how much of a bitch it is to do the control arms as mine are rusted to poo poo. Do they come off easy?

Soak the bolts in PB a day before doing it. I did this on the M8 and walks away for a day. The suspension flew off with a cheap impact.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is pretty cool for a mechanical failure -- particularly the oil fountain. The whole video has a bunch of different angles, but the best closeup is at 1:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gvgISVHak

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Remember the Auckland Helo crash? Here is a better video with more turbine death whine.
http://youtu.be/v5aMT9MBfZI

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
Holy poo poo I thought that the rotor had grabbed the cable. Looks like one of the guys on the ground jumped up, grabbed it and pulled the cable into the rotor.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

grnberet2b posted:

Holy poo poo I thought that the rotor had grabbed the cable. Looks like one of the guys on the ground jumped up, grabbed it and pulled the cable into the rotor.

You're right. Wonder what happens to that guy. Surprised he didn't die.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Ziploc posted:

You're right. Wonder what happens to that guy. Surprised he didn't die.

It was covered a while back in the thread. If you look closely, the pilot is flung out of the helicopter, the pulled back in by his seatbelt.

I don't think they pulled the cable into the blades. There's a lot of turbulence around a helicopter rotor, the cable probably got sucked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Remember the Auckland Helo crash? Here is a better video with more turbine death whine.
http://youtu.be/v5aMT9MBfZI

I think this is the first time in recorded history that somebody was filming an event like this and kept the camera pointed at the subject rather then aiming it at their feet once it went bad. I guess it helps it was most likely a professional.