Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You can always pre-order the Invada release this Thursday, just in case v :) v

Personally, I'm aiming for both releases. :colbert:

I forgot about the pre-order. These are two separate releases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I forgot about the pre-order. These are two separate releases?

Yes. Different release dates, different labels, different continents.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

midge posted:

Another awesome announcement today. It's Protomen related...

http://soundmachinestore.bigcartel.com/product/makeup-and-vanity-set-presents-vinyl

Just look at that loving disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ek6DbAAdac

Makeup and Vanity Set is so amazing. I just ordered this.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Makeup and Vanity Set is so amazing. I just ordered this.

Wait, is this just chiptune stuff? I can't stand Protomen, but The Stand and Will Of One Byte just sounds like pure chiptune. Good chiptune, even.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Here the official list of WB's Record Store Day releases:

quote:

The Black Keys: El Camino (Deluxe vinyl album)
A stunning and highly collectible deluxe vinyl issue of the critically acclaimed 2011 album from The Black Keys. Cut for vinyl from the master tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering and pressed at Pallas for sonic perfection. This album will never sound or look better. This RSD exclusive package also contains a bonus CD, a limited edition poster, and a two song 45 rpm 7" single featuring previously unreleased live tracks: "Sister" and "Money Maker."

Gary Clark Jr.: Gary Clark Jr. Presents HWUL Cuts Vol. I (12" vinyl single)
A RSD exclusive contains two previously unreleased live tracks, "If You Love Me Like You Say" and "Bright Lights" capture over twenty minutes of music from one of the most anticipated guitar players in music today. This first-ever vinyl release from Clark is sure to be sought out by fans and collectors alike. Cut at 45 rpm by Bernie Grundman Mastering for the very best in analog sound quality and presentation.

Eric Clapton: Blues (Deluxe Vinyl Album Box Set)
Released to critical acclaim leading up to RSD's Back To Black Friday 2011, this limited edition box set is close to selling out. The set includes all three of Eric Clapton's seminal blues albums, From The Cradle, Riding With The King (with B.B. King) and Me And Mr. Johnson, remastered from original source material for vinyl. First time vinyl versions of these albums afford the listener an absolutely stellar new audio experience. With little more than 1,000 box sets left it's time to get your hands on this audiophile treasure.

Common: The Dreamer/The Believer (12" vinyl album)
A limited edition offering featuring exclusive album art of Common's ninth studio album for Record Store Day. The Dreamer/The Believer reunites Common with producer No. I.D., who produced the rapper's most acclaimed CDs. Robust tracks revere and update the past, such as the retro-soul, Curtis Mayfield-influenced "Lovin' I Lost" and tremulously beautiful "Gold."

Wilco / Billy Bragg: Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions (3 CD and 1 DVD)
On Record Store Day, Nonesuch releases Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions, which includes: Mermaid Avenue; Mermaid Avenue Vol. II (re-mastered); Mermaid Avenue Vol. III, comprising 17 previously unreleased recordings made during the Mermaid Avenue sessions; director Kim Hopkins' 1999 film Man in the Sand, which documents those sessions; and a 48-page booklet with new liner notes by Nora Guthrie, full lyrics, archival photographs, and facsimiles of lyric sheets and sketches by Woody Guthrie.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.: We Almost Lost Detroit EP (12" vinyl EP)
A Record Store Day exclusive containing three remixes and three covers, including Madonna's "Like A Prayer," "I Think Of You" by Sixto Rodriguez (both exclusive to this release only) and the memorable Gil Scott Heron cover "We Almost Lost Detroit" from their debut album IT'S A CORPORATE WORLD and remixes by Stepdad, Phantasmagoria, and Chuck Daniels. This six-song single disc is cut at 45 rpm by Bernie Grundman Mastering.

Disturbed: The Collection (Vinyl Album Box Set)
We are proud to announce the definitive Disturbed vinyl box-set edition, THE COLLECTION. A five-album, six-disc offering of the band's complete studio album discography featuring The Sickness (2000), Believe (2002), Ten Thousand Fists (2005), Indestructible (2008), and Asylum (2010). A career retrospective spanning ten years and 18 Billboard Top 100 hits of sophisticated and life-altering heavy music. For this box set, each album has been carefully mastered and pressed on 140-gram vinyl for the very best in audio quality. Each album has been meticulously showcased in a stunning art presentation that is unique and exclusive to this release. This is a limited edition box of only 2500 units worldwide.

Dr. John: Locked Down (Vinyl album)
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted boogie and blues pianist with an inimitable growl of a voice, Dr. John's most enduring achievements have fused New Orleans R&B, rock, and the Mardi Gras party spirit to come up with his own brand of "voodoo" music. Dr. John's new album, Locked Down (due April 3rd), is a bold statement produced by The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach and will be Dr. John's first for Nonesuch
Records.

Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac (Deluxe and Standard vinyl editions)
What can be said about this classic album that has not been said before? Originally released in 1975 and representing not only a rebirth of the band, with the addition of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, but really a second debut for a group firmly rooted in the rock genre, now reinventing themselves into a pop rock force in a way that few other artists can lay claim to. The album includes the iconic songs "Rhiannon," "Say You Love Me," and "Over My Head." Cut for vinyl at Bernie Grundman Mastering from the original analog tapes and pressed in both 33 rpm and 45 rpm for the very best in audio presentation. A collectible and definitive version for any generation.

JEFF The Brotherhood: Upstairs at United Vol. 3 (12" vinyl EP)
This release is a 3 song EP of JEFF The Brotherhood as a 5 piece band (recorded live to tape) performing "Master Of The Universe" by Hawkwind (from the album of the same name), a brain-melting new track called "In Space, Nobody Can Hear You Scream" plus a reprised "cover" of "I'm A Freak." Pressed at 45rpm for greater sonic impact at United Record Pressing and distributed by URP Music Distributors and 453 Music. You have no idea what you're in for...

Kimbra: Settle Down (Deluxe CD EP)
International newcomer Kimbra's digital EP is being re-released as a physical CD just in time for RSD and her tour with Gotye. The five-song release, which now includes the sultry "Good Intent," also features title track "Settle Down" as well as a remix of "Cameo Lover."

Metallica: Beyond Magnetic (12" color vinyl EP)
Beyond Magnetic consists of four outtakes from the 2008 Death Magnetic sessions and is available for the first time on silver vinyl just for RSD. A potent and exceptionally well-produced example of Metallica's most recent work, which can hold its own with anything within their vast heavy music cannon. Previously unreleased on vinyl and includes a limited edition Metallica sticker.

Mastodon / Feist "A Commotion" / "Black Tongue" (7" vinyl single)
A very exclusive and highly anticipated RSD pressing features Mastodon covering the Feist song "A Commotion," while Feist covers Mastodon's "Black Tongue." A unique and highly buzzed-about Record Store Day prize.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium (Deluxe 180 Gram vinyl Box Set)
On April 14, 2012, the Red Hot Chili Peppers will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and to commemorate this historic event, this classic Deluxe box set of the band's first number one album will be specially priced for Record Store Day. The Deluxe package was mastered for vinyl by Steve Hoffman and includes two 16-page booklets -- "Jupiter" and "Mars." The Red Hot Chili Peppers won four Grammy® Awards for Stadium Arcadium including: Best Rock Album, Best Boxed Or Special Limited Edition Package in addition to Best Rock Song and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group for their chart-topping, record-breaking single "Dani California."

Ximena Sarinana: Maps / La Llorona (7" vinyl single)
A two-song 7" from an exceptionally original and emerging artist, featuring two audio tracks: "Maps" (a Yeah Yeah Yeah's cover) from Rolling Stone Live and "La Llorona" (a Latin American folk song) from KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic." A special release to celebrate her Coachella 2012 appearance.

Regina Spektor: "The Prayer of François Villon (Molitva)" / "Old Jacket (Stariy Pedjak)" (7" color vinyl single)
A RSD exclusive features two b-sides from Regina's upcoming album What We Saw From The Cheap Seats, due in May. This single on white vinyl, mastered by Bob Ludwig, features two songs originally penned by Russian Poet/Musician Bulat Okudzhava, and are performed completely in Russian.

Tegan and Sara: Get Along (12" color vinyl album)
A Record Store Day exclusive -- never before on vinyl. Featuring music from the 2011 Get Along release, comprised of 15 favorites like "Alligator," "Call It Off," "Monday Monday Monday," and "Sentimental Tune." This single live disc, pressed on 12" white vinyl, finds the duo waltzing through its 15-year career with the kind of ease and amiable confidence that can only come from longtime friends who also happen to be siblings.

Side by Side 2012 Series:
A continuation of the well-received Warner Bros Records "Side by Side" series, which was initially introduced in 2011. All are exclusive for Record Store Day on uniquely colored and extremely limited edition 7" vinyl singles, featuring Warner artists covering other historic and personally influential iconic artists. This year's series includes:

The Flaming Lips / Mastodon: "A Spoonful Weighs A Ton" (7" baby pink vinyl single)
The mighty Mastodon faithfully covers the Lips classic "Spoonful Weighs a Ton," from The Soft Bulletin album. Ferociously beautiful!

Sara Watkins (Featuring Fiona Apple) / The Everly Brothers:
"You're The One I Love" (7" olive green with blue/black splatter vinyl single)
Sara Watkins covers The Everly Brothers classic "You're The One I Love" and features co-vocals from a very special guest, Fiona Apple. From Sara's new full-length album, Sun Midnight Sun, available later this spring.

Michael Bublé / Ray Charles: Georgia On My Mind (7" Georgia Peach vinyl single)
Michael Bublé's first ever 7" vinyl release featuring a cover of Ray Charles' classic "Georgia On My Mind" on "Georgia Peach" colored vinyl.

Carolina Chocolate Drops / Run-DMC: "You Be Illin'" (7" Coke-bottle green vinyl single)
The Run-DMC classic rendered in an entirely new way by old-time string band the Carolina Chocolate Drops. The Drops' version was recorded at the same sessions as their February 2012 release Leaving Eden, which was produced by Nashville legend Buddy Miller.

MC5 / Afrika Bambaataa: "Kick Out the Jams" (7" White with red splatter vinyl single)
The incendiary original coupled with a cover version from the pioneer of The Electro Funk Sound.

Otis Redding / Aretha Franklin: "Respect" (7" gold vinyl single)
The seminal classics meet for the first time together on vinyl.

NEWS FLASH! Expect exciting news from The Flaming Lips regarding their very special, limited RSD exclusive release. Stay tuned!

I think I'm in for the Black Keys and the two Lips releases.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 6, 2012

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'll see if I can't get a hold of Fleetwood Mac, and a bunch of those side by side singles.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Really hoping to get a copy of the Mastodon/Feist 7". That sounds kickass.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Surfingelectrode posted:

Is that Flaming Lips / Mastodon a split? It only mentions the Mastodon song.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Yoshifan823 posted:

What kind of good stand-up is out there on vinyl? I've looked at Stand-Up Records (and I just ordered both of their Patton Oswalt albums), and I know there's a few other mainstream guys (Aziz Ansari, at least) who have been releasing stuff on vinyl.

Neil Hamburger

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

dflanny posted:

Yep, with the original on the b-side.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

dflanny posted:

If it is a split it sounds epic.

Really only in for the Flips releases. The El Camino release is an obvious money grab. I liked the special release of Brothers a lot more.

I don't know where to go this RSD since ear-x-tacy is gone :(

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 6, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

pretty much in for Carolina Chocolate Drops, Jeffry B, and maybe Mastodon/Feist

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Are there are non-WB releases? Because that's a boring list.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yep, with the original on the b-side.

It would be good if Flaming Lips covered a Mastodon song.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

dflanny posted:

It would be good if Flaming Lips covered a Mastodon song.
That would be amazing. I'd love to hear their take on Blood and Thunder.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
The only good thing on that list is The Mermaid Ave boxset, Billy Bragg is the poo poo and it actually features new material.

I have no interest in anything else really, I had to read that Mastodon/Feist description twice to make sure it was real. The Disturbed boxset was the highlight of my day.

I guess most of that list makes me understand why a lot of people see RSD as a cash-in. There's not a lot of compelling stuff. Where's the rap? Where's the house music? It's all just rock.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Decline posted:

The only good thing on that list is The Mermaid Ave boxset, Billy Bragg is the poo poo and it actually features new material.

I have no interest in anything else really, I had to read that Mastodon/Feist description twice to make sure it was real. The Disturbed boxset was the highlight of my day.

I guess most of that list makes me understand why a lot of people see RSD as a cash-in. There's not a lot of compelling stuff. Where's the rap? Where's the house music? It's all just rock.

Well other than the lack of genre diversity, on a good year it's mostly all filler and rehashes of poo poo everyone already has. Like 40 dollar copies of loving Rumors by Fleetwood Mac. I know every time this year I go on the same rant, but seriously. gently caress Record Store Day.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I feel bad anyone who even thought twice about buying something on that list. RSD is disgusting.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

stay depressed posted:

I feel bad anyone who even thought twice about buying something on that list. RSD is disgusting.

Remember that's just major label poo poo. They see it as a cash grab.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Trust me I know.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Everyone hates on that reissue of Rumours from last year's RSD but it really does sound amazing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

Everyone hates on that reissue of Rumours from last year's RSD but it really does sound amazing.

Well for starters I loving hate Fleetwood Mac. But aside from that, releasing nothing but a bunch of Baby Boomer wank is a total loving waste because they could use the occasion to put out some cool and unique releases. Or better yet, just put them out anyway without it being an occasion. Everything about RSD just reeks of cash grab. If they really gave a poo poo about a niche market they would have been working with independent stores all along and not just in the last few years when vinyl records became fashionable again. I can guarantee you that once the novelty wears off and the bandwagon hoppers stop caring Record Store Day will be history.

Also, reissuing two Black Keys albums in a row right after they got put out. It hardly gets more "gently caress you give us your money" than that. The 45 RPM Brothers should have just been the standard release, and this new version of El Camino should have as well. It's a blatant ploy to get completists and hardcore fans to buy the same album twice.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 6, 2012

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Captured Tracks has some cool stuff, like that Medicine box set.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CPL593H posted:

Well for starters I loving hate Fleetwood Mac.

I'll just pretend that sentence wasn't in your comment and agree with everything else you said. There's something criminally cynical about releasing a $40+ print (who cares if it was remastered) of an album that's probably in at least 3 out of every 5 attics across the Western world.

Even if you somehow didn't have a copy just lying around (CPL593H's record collection notwithstanding, and even he probably has one under a potted plant or something), it's nothing 50 cents and a trip to any Goodwill couldn't fix. I mean, who is that release for? Confused baby boomers? "Audiophiles?" 17 year olds who buy Crosleys at UrbanOutfitters?

The Black Keys stuff makes me kind of furious- and it's made me acknowledge a disturbing trend in my collection: I almost never buy anything immediately when it's released, especially if it's a first run. Part of that is simply being too busy and not made of money all the time, and part of it is having gotten into this infernal hobby after a lot of my favorite albums were made; but what's the point of buying a vinyl print of a new album if they'll probably just reissue it in two years in Ultra-DayGlo-Heavyweight-Sparklecolor-Remaster-Bonus Track-Hologram Sleeve edition if it's any good?

And in other news:

I don't know how many people are aware of this (apologies if it's been posted before)
http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=34945

BLEEP.com posted:

SBTRKT
Hold On
(Young Turks)
We are currently taking pre-orders for the vinyl format of this release. Shipping for release date of 7th May.

Young Turks drop an unexpected storming single from their masked crusader - SBTRKT.

Featuring the incredible vocal talents of London super-talent Sampha, this was one of the standout cuts from SBTRKT's debut album.

In single format, the track also features an atmospheric re-work from the mysterious producer Sisi Bak Bak. Reported by Pitchfork and others, the rumour mill suggests that this is a new alias for none other than Thom Yorke.

Reminiscent of his solo material on the Eraser album and 12" releases for Text and _Xurbia_Xendless Limited, it is not a very far-fetched rumour to believe. Top that off with a brand new foot(2)step track 'Ride to Freedom' and you have an essential purchase.

Pre-orders are $18.

Also, the sleeve is this 3D lenticular business right here:

...because who wouldn't want a 3D picture of Thom Yorke pretending we can't recognize him behind that mask? :allears:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Incidentally, I do have a copy of Rumors despite never asking for it or purchasing it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
RSD has nothing for me this year save for that Flaming Lips collab album. Bummer.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

...because who wouldn't want a 3D picture of Thom Yorke pretending we can't recognize him behind that mask? :allears:

Gotta say, that doesn't look like Yorke at all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Gotta say, that doesn't look like Yorke at all.

:ssh:He's not the black guy

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:ssh:He's not the black guy

:monocle:

But seriously, in the case that second (white) guy is Yorke: I never realized he had such luscious lips.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 6, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

Incidentally, I do have a copy of Rumors despite never asking for it or purchasing it.

If you lived in the suburbs you were issued it. It came in the mail with samples of Tide.

I too think I have this album without ever actively seeking it out.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My dad gave me the Brady Bunch Christmas album. I got all you white suburban kids beat :smug:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, is this just chiptune stuff? I can't stand Protomen, but The Stand and Will Of One Byte just sounds like pure chiptune. Good chiptune, even.

It's the first album chiptuned. So it's Protomen, chiptuned.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

midge posted:

It's the first album chiptuned. So it's Protomen, chiptuned.

Well, it sounds good. Not twenty bucks good, but still.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010

stay depressed posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy I love me some Regina Spektor :saddowns:

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

stay depressed posted:

RSD rules because the stores have sales and I get cool things for cheap. None of which are released specifically for Record Store Day

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I plan on swinging by my local store on RSD after my usual weekend digs. I made a pic of how I hope it turns out:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The new Bear In Heaven album I Love You, It's Cool has a terrible title.

Also it just went into pre-order at Hometapes and the first 200 orders get it on limited edition white vinyl.

It's a terrific album, definitely get it.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The new Bear In Heaven album I Love You, It's Cool has a terrible title.

Also it just went into pre-order at Hometapes and the first 200 orders get it on limited edition white vinyl.

It's a terrific album, definitely get it.

I only see the white vinyl mentioned on the absurd limited edition pack. If you just order the LP do you get the white vinyl, or do you have to also buy a bunch of useless swag for $350? I mean, I'll probably end up buying the LP anyway, but white vinyl is always nice. :D

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I only see the white vinyl mentioned on the absurd limited edition pack. If you just order the LP do you get the white vinyl, or do you have to also buy a bunch of useless swag for $350? I mean, I'll probably end up buying the LP anyway, but white vinyl is always nice. :D

Any copy sold adds to the 200. Not just the crazy package. :)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know, Fleetwood Mac is an amazing band, and their work deserves more recognition. I mean, they always had amazing songs, and incredible pop-craftmanship. Tusk, for instance, isn't just sunny pop, it also draws from New Wave influences and punk, and come on, even "Go Your Own Way" is an incredible kiss-off anthem.

And if you aren't convinced, listen to this and believe in the power of the Mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knZltCtkedk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cemetry Gator posted:

You know, Fleetwood Mac is an amazing band, and their work deserves more recognition. I mean, they always had amazing songs, and incredible pop-craftmanship. Tusk, for instance, isn't just sunny pop, it also draws from New Wave influences and punk, and come on, even "Go Your Own Way" is an incredible kiss-off anthem.

And if you aren't convinced, listen to this and believe in the power of the Mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knZltCtkedk

If you're going to get into FM, then don't overlook the early 70s stuff after the Chicago blues era, but before the Buckingham/Nicks era. There's lots of good stuff like Bare Trees and Penguin. I love Christine McVie's work. She's far superior to Nicks in nearly every way.

e: hosed up coding

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 7, 2012