Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I completely forgot that I was cooking bobotie and begrafnisrys for coworkers tomorrow. Guess video games will wait for another night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

In Virginia, we have a poo poo ton of different specialty license plates (bowling enthusiast? We've got a plate for you!) which can result in hilarity. The classic is of course the "kids first" vanity plate reading EAT THE

I saw the best one. It was a Ducks Unlimited plate that read CONFIT

I've seen this one driving around town.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

In Virginia, we have a poo poo ton of different specialty license plates (bowling enthusiast? We've got a plate for you!) which can result in hilarity. The classic is of course the "kids first" vanity plate reading EAT THE

ahahah

I have never really thought about a food related custom plate, but I'd consider this one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rule .303 posted:

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.
Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"
And then Nan-in put the Japanese guy to work for 14 hours without pay or a bathroom break. When the master complained, saying, `What the gently caress, Nan-in', Nan-in replied serenely, `Katsu!' and smacked him across the face. Katsu is Japanese for the invisible hand of the marketplace.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Got a raise today!!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
congratulations!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

NosmoKing posted:

Got a raise today!!

Congrats!

On sort of the same note, I just got an e-mail this morning that my old employer got a new contract and I'm back to work Wednesday! :dance:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
got a new client a couple weeks ago that will increase my monthly revenue by about a third...

on contract for at least a year. hell yeah :clint:

maybe one day I can afford to hire someone :sigh:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Happy Hat posted:

congratulations!

Thanks!

After doing the job I was hired for, two other guy's full time jobs, and producing nearly twice as much with half the staff, (and cross training the staff so they are more interchangeable now) I'm rewarded!

(nicely rewarded too).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

NosmoKing posted:

Thanks!

After doing the job I was hired for, two other guy's full time jobs, and producing nearly twice as much with half the staff, (and cross training the staff so they are more interchangeable now) I'm rewarded!

(nicely rewarded too).

Rich enough to adopt me yet? My gun oiling and beer fetching skills are second to none.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I can't be the only one that first read that as `beer feltching'.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

SubG posted:

Even odds as to which this thread finds more enjoyable.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why do I argue with Dittoheads, it never does any good. It just gives me some free entertainment at the cost of my hope for humanity and the political dialogue of the US.

(Dittohead = fan of Rush Limbaugh.)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

SubG posted:

...I read it first as 'beer filching', then I saw your comment as 'beer fletching', until I finally read it properly and realized I didn't know what feltching is, so I googled it to my dismay.

At least my vocabulary is improving.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

This is a thread about education.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Rule .303 posted:

I buy those and cook the carcass down with a pressure cooker, but I add in a tablespoon of vinegar to cook out the marrow and the collagen from the bones. I run it through a strainer and pick out the meat to add back in later. It sounds goulish, but when you do this you wind up with stock that wobbles like jello in the fridge.

I add celery and carrots and onions as a sort of garni that gets strained out with the bones, and add more veggies when I add the meat back in with potatoes. It is a great use for the back, wings, and the ever famous "chicken butt".

I'll be doing this next month with a friend who wants help learning to use her pressure cooker. (last month we made gedamptefleish with apricots in a pressure cooker 'cause her gramma used to make it)

I finally had enough carcasses to make stock, and it was a-wigglin' away in the fridge, and I realized that I have no idea what to do with it. Not in the mood for soup, I froze it in cubes and I guess I'll figure it out at some point...

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

EVG posted:

I finally had enough carcasses to make stock, and it was a-wigglin' away in the fridge, and I realized that I have no idea what to do with it. Not in the mood for soup, I froze it in cubes and I guess I'll figure it out at some point...

You can make some interesting variations on rissotto or cook up some broth with couscous or bulgar. I don't like it with egg noodles, which is odd since I tend to eat anything.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

This is a thread about education.
College is a sham to keep people out of the work force for 2-12 years and incur more loans for banks to cash in on all the while realizing that the only way to make big bucks is to sign on with the financial industry.

Discuss.

~some broke rear end in a top hat

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

scuz posted:

College is a sham to keep people out of the work force for 2-12 years and incur more loans for banks to cash in on all the while realizing that the only way to make big bucks is to sign on with the financial industry.

Discuss.

~some broke rear end in a top hat
Partially true. Universities have, in recent decades, become increasingly structured as overgrown vocational schools. In this form, the syllubi are almost universally ill-designed---too bloated for pure vocational training, too threadbare for creating students with the sort of broad body of knowledge associated with University learning in prior centuries. The single greatest motivator for this change is probably a greater reliance on standardised testing and a corresponding decline in the general rigour of such testing.

So universities generally have the effect of keeping students out of the work force longer than they'd be without university, but this is not the intent of the system. The greater debt burden is also an effect rather than a goal of the system, but one which is structurally perpetuated because of the implicit economic incentives. All of this applies to nonprofit universities; clearly this is indeed an intentional end of any for-profit university.

In all cases it is becoming increasingly difficult to make a case for higher education purely in terms of value for money; most degrees simply cost more than they should, and in (increasingly) many cases more than they're worth (in economic terms).

Next.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Rule .303 posted:

You can make some interesting variations on rissotto or cook up some broth with couscous or bulgar. I don't like it with egg noodles, which is odd since I tend to eat anything.

Yeah, I think my first thing will be the next time I cook up rice, toss one or two stock cubes of those in with or instead of the water and see how it comes out.

I didn't expect it to be QUITE as concentrated as it is, so I'm a little intimidated by it!

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I'm glad I've cooked a shitload of food that will keep nicely in the freezer because with Mass Effect 3 now out, I won't cook for like a month, let alone other life processes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

oh man, squeaky cheese is where it's at

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Wroughtirony posted:

That's fantastic... we only have sports teams. Oh, and your ham radio callsign if you want, but no special image so it's basically just a custom plate.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I like turtles posted:

I've seen this one driving around town.

I want to believe this, I really do, but I just can't.

SubG posted:

Yes, you probably can. Nobody here combines rational argument with utter depravity like you do, SubG!

NosmoKing posted:

Got a raise today!!

Hurrah!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So Sunday night/Monday morning there was an earthquake essentially directly below my house. It was only 4.0 but it woke everybody up. The worst part was when it was going and I was just thinking "gently caress me I hope this stops soon."

West Coast 4 Lyfe.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

So Sunday night/Monday morning there was an earthquake essentially directly below my house. It was only 4.0 but it woke everybody up. The worst part was when it was going and I was just thinking "gently caress me I hope this stops soon."

West Coast 4 Lyfe.

I have been through two earthquakes and missed both of them. The first was in SF on Halloween many years ago, I was so loving loaded I refused to get out of bed and seek shelter, I was convinced my friend was being a jerk and shaking hte bed to get me to go out and drink more.

The second was the quake in DC this year. I was working a huge outdoor even on the national mall and was driving around in a golf cat with bad shocks the entire time and didn't even notice it. I only found out when my radio went crazy with people talking about it. Again, I thought they were kidding when they wanted to stop work and wait for aftershocks, I refused to believe them until one of the park rangers got on and told me to shut up.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I went through an earthquake when I lived in Cupertino, CA, at the wee age of 10. I remember everything shaking, but I never felt scared since it was a magnitude 4.something. I was more amazed that I actually experienced an earthquake than I was scared.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

EVG posted:

I don't understand how people freeze their stock as cubes. Do you have like 30 ice cube trays or something?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Lol 2 earthquakes. I grew up in So Cal. We only got up or out of bed if it was a 5.0 or greater.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

kiteless posted:

Lol 2 earthquakes. I grew up in So Cal. We only got up or out of bed if it was a 5.0 or greater.

Yeah, I have to note that my mother was taking a nap in the other room, and she didn't even wake up until I bounded in all excited going "There was an earthquake! There was an earthquake!"

On a related note, the last day of school was nice in Cali, because we got to open up our earthquake kits and get all hopped up on the snacks and stuff we put in at the beginning of the year.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I moved to San Jose in August and slept through the earthquake yesterday. It was pretty minor.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Bubbacub posted:

I don't understand how people freeze their stock as cubes. Do you have like 30 ice cube trays or something?

Freeze in trays, then pop them out and let them hang out in a ziplock bag. Refill trays with water.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Freeze in trays, then pop them out and let them hang out in a ziplock bag. Refill trays with water.

I believe he means how do you freeze entire pots of stock in ice cube trays unless you have a lot of them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even when I make a giant pot of stock, once I get done straining, skimming and reducing, I'm left with a couple quarts at most. which is probably like 5 or 6 ice cube trays. Worst case, you freeze it in batches. And I generally don't freeze all of it, as I will use some the week I make it.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

You can skip the whole ice cube step, if you want. just pour it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Takes up less space that way, usually.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i shoot friendlies posted:

You can skip the whole ice cube step, if you want. just pour it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Takes up less space that way, usually.

But then you can't portion it out. That's the whole point of ice cube trays.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I fill an ice cube tray, then put the rest into the small plastic tubs you get from chinese takeout.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But then you can't portion it out. That's the whole point of ice cube trays.

what

I put mine in sandwich bag sized ziplocks, which is usually exactly how much I want for a sauce or whatever. and then one or two bigger ziplocks for soups.

I lay them flat on a sheet tray to freeze, so when they're frozen they stand up like books and I can just stack a row of them side by side

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

what

I put mine in sandwich bag sized ziplocks, which is usually exactly how much I want for a sauce or whatever. and then one or two bigger ziplocks for soups.

I lay them flat on a sheet tray to freeze, so when they're frozen they stand up like books and I can just stack a row of them side by side

Yeah but that's not really what the other guy was indicating. Plus, your way wastes a lot of ziploc bags which is bad for the environment.

bad bad bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah but that's not really what the other guy was indicating. Plus, your way wastes a lot of ziploc bags which is bad for the environment.

bad bad bad

Not if you reuse the ziploc bags. I reuse those bags until they don't hold together any more.