Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Retro Game Challenge was waiting in my door after work today!

Kid Arino: "I never read manuals." Yeah buddy, sure you don't. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Oh man, I just got that game too. Why does Kid Arino ask me if I'm single?

Also, I love that Haggleman comes out one day before I was born. In fact, I just learned that Takashi's Challenge came out on the day before I was born. It makes me warm inside to know that right as I entered this world, a bunch of Japanese children were probably thinking "what the gently caress is this game?"

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

If anyone is interested, here's a 1680 x 1050 Desktop wallpaper of the King Arino poster.

Download link

ETA:
1920 x 1080: Download link
1920 x 1200: Download link
Thank you for these. This is one of the best pieces of non-creepy fan art I've ever seen. :)

iastudent posted:

Retro Game Challenge was waiting in my door after work today!

Kid Arino: "I never read manuals." Yeah buddy, sure you don't. :colbert:
I think Kid Arino is also Alternate Universe Arino where he's actually good at games.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011
Have any of you guys thought about doing a GCCX styled show/event/thing of your own?

I'm asking because a group of friends of mine all really love GCCX (and the work that you amazing people in this thread do), and one of them has decided he's going to do his own GCCX for all of us every Friday night. He'll play an NES game we vote on and play for 6 hours, and if he can't beat it we decide if he fails or can continue next week. His first game will be Mike Tyson's Punch Out this week, and we're planning on doing stuff like having an AD for the episode who can play in place of him if he gets stuck, as the ADs on GameCenter do, by playing the save state. We all meet up and do stuff on Livestream and can't meet in person, so it works pretty well to be able to send a save file and just switch streamers.

We're all pretty excited, and he's even planning on doing a Tamage segment at a local mall arcade eventually, and other sorts of specials he can do in a reasonable amount of time, considering we don't have all the time in the world to do these sorts of things.

So, if any of you guys have done this sort of thing before, how did it go? We have high hopes, but there's always the chance he could get burnt out or it's just not interesting.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The "hosts" have to be charismatic, the last thing I would want to watch is a bunch of nervous neckbeards playing old video games, especially if they are terrible at them. Arino can be ~bad at games~ because he is a charismatic comedian, it's humorous watching him constantly fail, it's charming watching him learn how to play these games.

Also, don't forget that GCCX has some serious editing, if I actually had to watch all the footage of Arino die 78 times at the same spot I probably wouldn't bother watching the show (although I'm sure there are some Arino fans in this thread that probably would).

I know I'm being overly negative. Sorry about that. If you go ahead with your plans I'll definitely watch it before judging it, I just hope you realize you will probably have to do something different/unique to stand out amongst the thousands of other game streams.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Obeast posted:

I think Kid Arino is also Alternate Universe Arino where he's actually good at games.

But you never see Kid Arino play anything. He doesnt even offer helpful advice.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh man, I just got that game too. Why does Kid Arino ask me if I'm single?

Because you're a woman. :colbert:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

MaskedTai posted:

Have any of you guys thought about doing a GCCX styled show/event/thing of your own?

I have, in conjunction with a project of mine, but that project hasn't reached the necessary stage and I'm pretty camera shy to boot. :v: The last time I was at Disney, I had wanted to shoot a Tamage thing at the humongous arcade they have in Downtown Disney but I wasn't able to because of scheduling and family related problems. In anycase, it was meant to be done as a one off thing having to do with that project and not something I was going to do regularly or anything. Aside from that, I keep making my wife giggle by holding out a game and saying that is today's challenge. :xd: And I keep taking pictures of my newly arrived Famicom games in the style of the show when they show the challenge game.

As for your production, like Xik said, the host has to be charismatic, the narrator super straight and serious, and you'll need a girl with a cute voice to narrate your Tamages. A white board for writing stuff on and last but most importantly a large wall clock to hand your host when he's out of time. And snacks for the desk. I think that's about everything you'll need.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

MaskedTai posted:

Funny, I was thinking about this exact thing while watching the latest episode. It would be cool to do a GCCX-type thing that showcased only difficult Western games (the original TMNT for the NES came to mind, for instance). It would be difficult to set up but I think it'd be fun to do.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Spincut posted:

Funny, I was thinking about this exact thing while watching the latest episode. It would be cool to do a GCCX-type thing that showcased only difficult Western games (the original TMNT for the NES came to mind, for instance). It would be difficult to set up but I think it'd be fun to do.
Quick! Get Fuji TV, Brian Crecente and Dominik Diamond (To be the Narrator) on the line! We have magic to make!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MaskedTai posted:

I'm asking because a group of friends of mine all really love GCCX (and the work that you amazing people in this thread do), and one of them has decided he's going to do his own GCCX for all of us every Friday night. He'll play an NES game we vote on and play for 6 hours, and if he can't beat it we decide if he fails or can continue next week. His first game will be Mike Tyson's Punch Out this week, and we're planning on doing stuff like having an AD for the episode who can play in place of him if he gets stuck, as the ADs on GameCenter do, by playing the save state. We all meet up and do stuff on Livestream and can't meet in person, so it works pretty well to be able to send a save file and just switch streamers.

We're all pretty excited, and he's even planning on doing a Tamage segment at a local mall arcade eventually, and other sorts of specials he can do in a reasonable amount of time, considering we don't have all the time in the world to do these sorts of things.

So, if any of you guys have done this sort of thing before, how did it go? We have high hopes, but there's always the chance he could get burnt out or it's just not interesting.

Funny story, I own gooncentercx.com/net.

Not really a funny story. There is nothing there. I had an idea, but life happened.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MaskedTai posted:

Stream it on twitch.tv, promote it a few days ahead of time on twitter, facebook, retro gaming forums. See if Kotaku will mention you.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

MaskedTai posted:

I'm not part of this, but there's a YouTube show called Retro Grand Prix that's inspired by GCCX, except it's more of a competition between two players either in multiplayer games (like Battle Mode in Super Mario Kart) or racing through certain levels in single player games (like Wood Man in Mega Man 2). The narrator is pretty bad since you can tell he's reading from a script, but it everything else is good for being low budget.

Gutcruncher posted:

But you never see Kid Arino play anything. He doesnt even offer helpful advice.
True, but he does give you (RGC story mode spoiler) the rapid fire controller for Star Prince, which does help unless you use the shield a lot.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

9/10 it'll turn out the same as any other (V)LP and God knows there are enough of those already.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Funny story, I own gooncentercx.com/net.

Not really a funny story. There is nothing there. I had an idea, but life happened.

Yup, pretty much what's happened to me. I have my idea and a partially completed project behind it but nothing else to show for it because life won't leave me alone either.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ConanThe3rd posted:

Quick! Get Fuji TV, Brian Crecente and Dominik Diamond (To be the Narrator)

I think you mean Brian, erm excuse me, BRIAN BLESSED

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Dominik Diamond

:getin:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Brian Crecente

:frogout:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

9/10 it'll turn out the same as any other (V)LP and God knows there are enough of those already.

This is the basic truth right here. You need a conference room or other similarly brightly-lit locale, not a neckbeardy basement, a charming host (read "someone who is funny without quoting the internet"), crew members who are almost as interesting and personable as the host, and a very low-impact style. While GCCX's challenges are occasionally Intensely Dramatic, video LPers would (because they've never heard of an audio engineer, nor can they fathom why they'd want one) yell about everything and pin the needles and just make it a giant mess. Or worse, they'd try to do it over skype or Geeplusvidchat or whatever the gently caress it's called that Google's pushing these days, and we'd get to hear the delights of USB headset audio. But they'd still be yelling, because Americans Get Hype And Salty About Their Vidya. It would be a fg stream.

It wouldn't be polite, and that's the part that ruins it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

MaskedTai posted:

I've always had a really dumb, even embarrassing, idea that has been at the back of my head for a bit over a decade for a show that would garnish at best maybe 2 viewers. GCCX happens to feed this idea every time I watch the show, which is unhealthy as its something I conjured up when in my late delusional teens. I've always wanted my own painting program. Wait! Bare with me here.

My idea is spurred on by my countless viewings of The Joy of Painting. The premise of this show would be two talentless painters facing each other in a paint-off. The way the show would work is both painters were presented with a random local access painting show that they would have to paint in real time as God & Bob Ross intended, head-to-head, indian-yellow-to-indian-yellow, to the best of their abilities. All prep work would be done before hand with all the proper paints and tools at their disposal for that particular painting; this way the artists could jump right in without any foreknowledge of what they were painting. The winner's painting would be decided by vote based on how much someone was willing to pay for each painting/trainwreck.

I know it's not game related but I always pictured Arino as a guy who is hopelessly bad at video games, is presented with a blind challenge, and yet has managed to grow in skill & appreciation. Themes that I share with my horrible idea.
:goonsay:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 6, 2012

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Mayor McCheese posted:

My idea is spurred on by my countless viewings of The Joy of Painting. The premise of this show would be two talentless painters facing each other in a paint-off. The way the show would work is both painters were presented with a random local access painting show that they would have to paint in real time as God & Bob Ross intended, head-to-head, indian-yellow-to-indian-yellow, to the best of their abilities. All prep work would be done before hand with all the proper paints and tools at their disposal for that particular painting; this way the artists could jump right in without any foreknowledge of what they were painting. The winner's painting would be decided by vote based on how much someone was willing to pay for each painting/trainwreck.

I'm one of those two viewers then because I would absolutely watch this.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Mayor McCheese posted:

I know it's not game related but I always pictured Arino as a guy who is hopelessly bad at video games, is presented with a blind challenge, and yet has managed to grow in skill & appreciation. Themes that I share with my horrible idea.
:goonsay:

Add an occasional nude female model as the paint subject and you can count me in. ;)

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

MaskedTai posted:

The closest thing to this I've ever participated in was the old Retro Game Masters thread. A bunch of people trying to beat old hard video games without resorting to walkthroughs, asking the thread for hints if they absolutely need it.

A shame that it petered out, it was a really fun thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This should be the last batch of torrents to go up:

NC4 - Downtown Special
Download torrent81 (1 files; 115.89 MB)
View torrent stats

From the Lemmings 24 hour special - Last Continue
Download torrent81 (1 file; 83.11 MB)
View torrent stats

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

Xik posted:

The "hosts" have to be charismatic, the last thing I would want to watch is a bunch of nervous neckbeards playing old video games, especially if they are terrible at them. Arino can be ~bad at games~ because he is a charismatic comedian, it's humorous watching him constantly fail, it's charming watching him learn how to play these games.

Also, don't forget that GCCX has some serious editing, if I actually had to watch all the footage of Arino die 78 times at the same spot I probably wouldn't bother watching the show (although I'm sure there are some Arino fans in this thread that probably would).

I know I'm being overly negative. Sorry about that. If you go ahead with your plans I'll definitely watch it before judging it, I just hope you realize you will probably have to do something different/unique to stand out amongst the thousands of other game streams.

We know that there's some serious editing, and there are plans for one of us to narrate some segments. I'm also pretty sure we're all charismatic, at least with each other, due to the frequent Skyp(e)ing (that is a strange word to add "ing" to) every week. I guess he could send the video to one of the girls of our group to narrate post-production... or he could just have his girlfriend do it on the spot as she films him.

Also, it's not really to get noticed, our game stream has been around almost 3 years, and we're not actively looking for viewers. It's less of a game stream now and more of a hang out spot where someone will play a video game that we can watch while we chat about stuff. We were attempting to advertise at one point when this channel started right after this Mega Man Marathon back in the summer of '09 that someone did, but now it's just us hanging out every night for the past few years. It's more of a personal project for our own entertainment.

Doc Hawkins posted:

stuff

Katana Gomai posted:

stuff

Like I just mentioned to Xik, it's not really for public consumption. I guess if it goes well, and we actually enjoy the finished product, we could think about editing the live video together, but that's a bit too much time and effort than we want at this point. For now it's just shits and giggles. I'd say maybe some of you could come check it out, but not until this is discussed with everyone. New people are welcome, but this is something that's more personal for all of us. Maybe once we know if this is a good idea or not.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Haha, I would totally watch that.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that some of you misunderstood what I was going for because I didn't explain it well enough. This friend of mine isn't going to be doing full video and uploading it or anything, we don't have the resources (or time) for that. It's just going to be the shot of the game on the desktop through Procaster, MAYBE with a Picture-in-Picture like Arino does. There's not too much post, as live-video doesn't allow for it, and I don't think any of us will be too picky. It's not too different from what we already do every night, it's just more "official" in a sense with a time limit and a possibility of having some segments. I don't really see this ever reaching a point with a full-on room with a desk, monitor, system, and crew. We're all too spread out across the states and Canada to do something like that.

MaskedTai fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 6, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
If it's not for public consumption but for your group of friends why are you even asking the internet for advice? You'd get better answers from them whether they'd watch it or not.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

the least weasel posted:

If it's not for public consumption but for your group of friends why are you even asking the internet for advice? You'd get better answers from them whether they'd watch it or not.

MaskedTai posted:

I wasn't asking for advice, but it was interpreted that way I guess. I was simply asking if anyone had done this before, and if it worked. People offered advice.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

FreezingInferno posted:

The closest thing to this I've ever participated in was the old Retro Game Masters thread. A bunch of people trying to beat old hard video games without resorting to walkthroughs, asking the thread for hints if they absolutely need it.

Little Nemo was the only one I managed to complete. :negative:

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
I sort of do my own challenges. I let my nephew to take any game from my collection (about 200 games) and play it until we finish it or give up. We keep a scoreboard of the games we have played and draw diagrams whenever we need them.

Off course we dont film anything of this, but I must say, it is awesome! For years I´ve been collecting retro games, but only played like 20% of them, so is great to discover a new gem and/or super frustating game that I´ve own for years.

And my nephew has had a great time too, he has discovered the joy of retro games and that graphics are not everything in this world.

And yes, everytime we finish a stage we do Arino´s winning pose, and yell abunai! a lot. But we are no Arino and had a lot of AVGN-style rages too, but for me thats part of retro games charm.

For anyone that wants to take retro game challenges, I reccomend you to not use any type of cheating device - no game genie, no savestates, no gamefaqs, no internet - and when possible play the game on its original form - No emulators - That are the rules we follow in our challenges. Have fun!

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

Joctan posted:

I sort of do my own challenges. I let my nephew to take any game from my collection (about 200 games) and play it until we finish it or give up. We keep a scoreboard of the games we have played and draw diagrams whenever we need them.

Off course we dont film anything of this, but I must say, it is awesome! For years I´ve been collecting retro games, but only played like 20% of them, so is great to discover a new gem and/or super frustating game that I´ve own for years.

And my nephew has had a great time too, he has discovered the joy of retro games and that graphics are not everything in this world.

And yes, everytime we finish a stage we do Arino´s winning pose, and yell abunai! a lot. But we are no Arino and had a lot of AVGN-style rages too, but for me thats part of retro games charm.

For anyone that wants to take retro game challenges, I reccomend you to not use any type of cheating device - no game genie, no savestates, no gamefaqs, no internet - and when possible play the game on its original form - No emulators - That are the rules we follow in our challenges. Have fun!

What are some of the games you've played for your Joctan's Challenge that you enjoyed the most?

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

I had the bright idea to try this a couple of weeks ago--my brother challenged me to beat MDK2 (Dreamcast), me having never played it except for a demo back in 2000. 13 hours later I decided it was best left to people who get paid for it. Maybe it was a bad choice for a challenge but GGGX isn't as fun in real time!

excusemeprincess
Jul 23, 2001
There was a pop-kun here. It's gone now.
Edit: Don't want to derail.

excusemeprincess fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 6, 2012

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011

MaskedTai posted:

What are some of the games you've played for your Joctan's Challenge that you enjoyed the most?

Some of the lesser know games (at least for me) that I enjoyed as challenges:

For the NES:

-Wizards and warriors. Great game, good music and a ok challenge - CLEARED! (~4 hours)
-Iron sword "wizards and warriors 2" An excellent game, but with unforgiving difficulty, classic game for masochists - FAILED (5~6 hours, controller smashed in frustration)
-3D world runner. A bizzare run, jump and shoot game, the first levels are pretty easy but become harder and harder as you progress. Lots of abunai! moments - CLEARED! (~ 5 hours, intense boss battles)
-Bucky o´hare (Never saw the cartoon based on) Hard as hell but the continue system make it a fair game, a 2 day challenge - Cleared! (about 8 hours)
-Bionic commando Why I have not played this before?! One of the best NES games, excellent for a challenge. There is a way to make as much lives as you want - CLEARED! (3~4 hours)

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

FreezingInferno posted:

Picking Bart vs the Space Mutants as a challenge absolutely killed that thread. One of these days I want to relaunch it with better organization and scoreboards and such. It's still a great idea.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

cronox2 posted:

Picking Bart vs the Space Mutants as a challenge absolutely killed that thread. One of these days I want to relaunch it with better organization and scoreboards and such. It's still a great idea.

I thought it was that last game, the PC one, that killed the thread. I believe it was the only game on the list I didn't have, so I didn't participate in it. And then shortly after that game was announced, the thread just kinda disappeared.

It also gave me a dumb excuse to take pictures of my video game collection. Because I see it in person every day, I don't think it's that large, and then I take a picture of it, look at said picture, and think "wow, that's too much crap, is that really my stuff?" Fun times.

If I remember, I gave up on Bart vs. the Space Mutants after two days, because the controls were really bad, and there was no continues (and no save states on real hardware). And I gave up on Kid Chameleon after about four days I think because I kept making level progression mistakes and would lose all of my lives on one particular level I kept accidentally wandering into.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

cronox2 posted:

I was wondering where that thread went. If you ever reboot it and need people to come up with challenges, shoot me a PM.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Joctan posted:

Well now I wish I had siblings who could give me a niece/nephew. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Corridor posted:

I won't lie, they're pretty awesome. Though even at such a young age my three year old nephews have realized how hard I suck at most video games. :ohdear:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Not long after falling in love with GCCX, I started wanting to do some of Arino's Challenges, especially after seeing him do and ALMOST succeed at Ghosts n' Goblins which I had grown up thinking was totally impossible. And then I saw him do Solomon's Key which... I had downloaded at the Wii's launch but couldn't get too far into. I had started to think it was impossible to really beat it. And Arino showed me the way. So, since then I've tried doing his challenges, though, I really can't sit in front of the TV for more than a few hours without real life interrupting or getting antsy. For that, VC's saving has been a godsend! However, like Arino, I'm not without shame and DO use FAQs whenever necessary and play the games on whatever physical (meaning original console, VC, collection disc, or in some cases PC ports) platform I have it available on, and not on a PC emulator.

So far I've done...

Ghost n' Goblins... Did it in less time than it took Arino to quit, final clear time 13 hours and 52 minutes. Also, I didn't stop there, I then went and beat Ghouls n' Ghost and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts. The former was played on Wii VC as was GnG and the later was played on the SNES.
Solomon's Key... Arino actually beat me on this one, it took me longer than him to beat it but I didn't mark my time down for some reason.
I... Sort of did Prince of Persia... But the Mac version that came on with the Wii game that came out a while ago. I was hoping it was going to be the SNES version, but it turned out to be the Mac version instead. I did finish it but it's tough to compare clear times since the SNES version is far longer than the Mac version. On that front, however, my wife got me the SNES version for Christmas this year so, I guess I'll be having the Return of the Revenge of Last Persia at some point. :p
Kirby's Adventure... No clear time was posted in that challenge so I don't know if I did it faster or slower than Arino.

And currently... I am playing ... Or was playing... Adventure Island. On Wii VC. As such, I've been playing it over the past several months. Even suffering an Arino style Continue Failure when my wife distracted me on World 6. I'm currently stuck on World 8-3. With those damned octopi. I'm so close to finishing it but I dread going any further. :cry:

And just this week in the mail, I got...

This is my fourth Famicom game (and yes, I finally broke down and bought a Famicom because of this show), however the other three are not games Arino has ever played in a Challenge, though he did play the arcade version of one in the Onsen Special.

genredleader fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 7, 2012

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Corridor posted:

My nephew likes to watch Game Center CX, even though he's not very good at reading and just ignores the subtitles. :3:

He also likes to comment about how he's totally better than Arino at games he's never played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Castlequest. Seems like exactly the kind of game that would make Arino's head explode. I picked up a copy recently, and wish I had the time to binge on it properly.