Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I have a question about boogers. Max's breathing seems a bit labored, like there are dried boogers in there. I've tried using the bulb, but it doesn't seem to clear dried boogers out very well. He's not turning blue or even seems in distress, but hearing him breath while he sleeps, I can tell there's something in there. Suggestions?

What Bam said, and also the saline drops are very helpful. The bulb never seemed to do anything but piss my babies off anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Helanna posted:

Anyway, reading the last bunch of posts I noticed something that kind of surprised me; does each session of breast feeding really take 45 mins or an hour? I always assumed (perhaps naively!) that I could wake up, feed baby for like 10 or 15 minutes, and go back to sleep!

Up until about 5 weeks or so my daughter would take a good hour to an hour and a half to eat. Now that she's hit the 8 week mark we're down to about 30-45 minutes which is a huge improvement time wise. I guess she likes to savor her meals, who knows. It does get faster but it can take a pretty long time in the first few weeks when you're both figuring everything out. Quite honestly I prefer the longer feeds followed by her sleeping for a good stretch than the days where she wants to do short feeds and the 20 minute sleeps and then feed again and sleep for another 30 minutes, etc. It gets kind of old, especially when you've got stuff to do like doctors appointments and such.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I have a question about boogers. Max's breathing seems a bit labored, like there are dried boogers in there. I've tried using the bulb, but it doesn't seem to clear dried boogers out very well. He's not turning blue or even seems in distress, but hearing him breath while he sleeps, I can tell there's something in there. Suggestions?

I've been running a humidifier and it seems to really help to loosen up the dried boogers enough to get them out with the bulb. Also what Bam said about the bath helps too.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Also, still sticking with the breast feeding thing, although it's really frustrating that a feeding session takes 45+ minutes sometimes. I'm glad to hear he'll get more efficient as he gets older, cause man, I can't see being able to do that for 6+ months. When do they start to get better? 1 month? 2?

I hate the bulb. I have a Nosefrida. It still pisses him off but it doesn't seem as harsh as the bulb and I can tell for sure that I got boogers out because the nozzle is transparent and I can see them (ew). The saline drops are helpful to loosen things up enough to get them out.

I'd imagine the breastfeeding thing is highly individual. My baby only took a few weeks to shorten his feeding times, but he was really good at eating from the start. Now he might only eat for 8 to 10 minutes at a time, unless he's really hungry (7 wks old now).

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

We use saline nose drops and a Nosefrida. Works like a charm every time.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

On another note, I am seeing on multiple places I should add DHA pills to my morning routine. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands? I take NatureMade multi prenatal but I have like another 8 months of that supply left, so all I need is a DHA supplement I guess. Tried looking at the varieties on Amazon but I can't tell the difference except for cost. May Clinic book will be arriving Tuesday.

It occurs to me that I am one of those poeple who "knew" she was pregnant before I ever even took a test.
This exhaustion is kicking my rear end hardcore. I thought I was going to full-on fall asleep in the work trailer on one of my projects. What did I do yesterday? Slept and peed on sticks, watched some TV, slept, made dinner, slept, watched TV, slept...

I have made it to page 26 of this thread... at least I'm not alone with the early exhaustedness.

My husband comes home from his 3 day officer training for the national guard thing tonight. I have a card for him... the front is plain and just says

Checklist:

Kick rear end [x]
Take Names [x]

and on the inside I wrote

Knock Wife Up [x]

This should be interesting.

I will be just into my 2nd trimester when I walk for my MS, and then promptly fly to Maine for a week and a half to play with rocks in mines. Glad I already reserved a cabin for that this year instead of a cot in a tent, hahaha.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Cathis posted:

On another note, I am seeing on multiple places I should add DHA pills to my morning routine. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands? I take NatureMade multi prenatal but I have like another 8 months of that supply left, so all I need is a DHA supplement I guess. Tried looking at the varieties on Amazon but I can't tell the difference except for cost. May Clinic book will be arriving Tuesday.

I take the TJ prenatals and the TJ omega-3s fish oil capsules.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Cathis posted:

Consumer Reports did a study of fish oil supplements a few years back and rated the ones that were most pure/had the fewest contaminants, and had the lowest levels of mercury. Nordic Naturals is one brand that they rated highly, and it's what I usually buy since they have a variety of different formulas. I don't remember every brand that passed their tests, but I do know that Wegman's (which is a grocery store, if you have any in your area) house brand did really well too, and is much, much cheaper. Off the top of my head, I would assume that the NatureMade ones also passed because NatureMade always does well in those independent tests.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

Consumer Reports did a study of fish oil supplements a few years back and rated the ones that were most pure/had the fewest contaminants, and had the lowest levels of mercury. Nordic Naturals is one brand that they rated highly, and it's what I usually buy since they have a variety of different formulas. I don't remember every brand that passed their tests, but I do know that Wegman's (which is a grocery store, if you have any in your area) house brand did really well too, and is much, much cheaper. Off the top of my head, I would assume that the NatureMade ones also passed because NatureMade always does well in those independent tests.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/fish-oil-pills-vs-claims/index.htm

There's an updated report from 2012.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Cathis posted:

On another note, I am seeing on multiple places I should add DHA pills to my morning routine. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands?

I am a vegetarian, so I take:
GNC prenatals without iron
a separate NatureMade iron supplement to fend off anemia
a generic CVS-brand DHA supplement

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Cathis posted:

My husband comes home from his 3 day officer training for the national guard thing tonight. I have a card for him... the front is plain and just says

Checklist:

Kick rear end [x]
Take Names [x]

and on the inside I wrote

Knock Wife Up [x]

This should be interesting.

This is adorable. Congratulations!

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I am almost 16 weeks into this and I am still throwing up 4-5 times weekly and am nauseous on a nightly basis. I can't really eat and I'm actually down almost 10 pounds. At the last doctor's appointment, last week, he assured me I would start feeling better very soon. This whole time everyone has been telling me the 2nd trimester is much better and I will feel awesome. At this point I'm very frustrated...Has anyone else gotten to 16 weeks and actually gotten better or am I doomed to be one of those sick until the kid is born people??

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

rangergirl posted:

I am almost 16 weeks into this and I am still throwing up 4-5 times weekly and am nauseous on a nightly basis. I can't really eat and I'm actually down almost 10 pounds. At the last doctor's appointment, last week, he assured me I would start feeling better very soon. This whole time everyone has been telling me the 2nd trimester is much better and I will feel awesome. At this point I'm very frustrated...Has anyone else gotten to 16 weeks and actually gotten better or am I doomed to be one of those sick until the kid is born people??

With my first pregnancy, the morning sickness stopped at 20 weeks. With my next two pregnancies I had it the entire time. Are you taking anything? I ended up taking something for my third pregnancy when I couldn't drink water without being sick.

I hope it eases for you soon.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

rangergirl posted:

My sister in law had terrible morning sickness up til 18 weeks, then it disappeared pretty much overnight. She said she felt great for the rest of the pregnancy, so hang on in there! I haven't heard of many people being sick for the entire pregnancy, not even on those crazy baby forums. If you're worried about weight loss, can you stomach some meal replacement shakes or soups?

Has anyone here been through an induction? It's my due date on Friday, and thanks to my SPD, I am almost completely immobile. I have been on crutches for a few weeks, but they barely help at all now and I can just about drag myself between bed, couch and bathroom. In the UK, it's policy to induce if you get to 40+12, but I honestly don't think I can cope for that long. I am thinking of begging my midwife to induce me ASAP, but the procedure sounds horrible. Oh, and the baby's growth is in the 90th percentile, so I'm already terrified about it getting any bigger. Do I suck it up and just cope with the pain or argue that they need to get this baby out NOW?

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

rangergirl posted:

I was sick 10+ times per day in the first trimester (weeks 7-10 were really rough) which resulted in me actually passing out from lack of food over a few days. Baby was absolutely fine, it was just me not getting enough! Even trying something like half a glass of flat lemonade (doctors advice to at least get some sugar and not faint) made me sick 3 times in the space of 2 hours on one day. In the early part of the second I was still sick every morning and occasionally a couple of times during the day. Lost around 12lb total.

It took until around 24 weeks before I stopped getting sick every day. 28 weeks tomorrow, and I have the occasional day (like today!) where I'm sick once, but that's bearable and doesn't stop me eating as normal at this stage.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Mayo book has arrived. DHA pills ordered (Nordic Naturals, pretty $$ but great reviews).
My dr apparently does two blodo tests for the hcg levels, so I did one today and the next Weds., Then I guess I get an appointment for ~8 weeks gestation. I assume this is all normal? Dr's office was a ZOO this AM so I didn't really get much facetime with them.

I have a short list of meds I can take, a long list of foods I cannot take, and one "secret buddy" who I can talk to who will not spill the beans early.

Edit: This is utterly retarded, but can I assume this fat feeling below my bellybutton won't get better for.. 8 months or so? It's felt like mild period cramps for 3 days now and if this is the BEST it's going to be for 8 months, I am going to be one cranky lady!

Cathis fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 5, 2012

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
rangergirl - if you can find one or two hours a day when you can stand food, make sure to eat, like others are saying. I didn't eat protein and when the nausea and vomiting went away I was incredibly weak, which left me about as incapacitated as the nausea did. I found that the one or two hours that I felt okay might shift around - sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes mid-morning.

Also, I read in the Brain Rules for Baby that I mentioned earlier that there is a correlation between nauseous mothers and healthy babies - that possibly the hormone that makes you throw up is good for baby growth.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Cathis posted:

Then I guess I get an appointment for ~8 weeks gestation. I assume this is all normal?

Yup, perfectly normal. I actually had 3 or 4 blood tests. You're lucking out with just 2. ;) My first appointment was around 5 weeks, however I also had surgery to remove 90% of an ovary 2 years ago so I think my doctor just wanted to monitor things early on.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

buttzilla posted:

Yup, perfectly normal. I actually had 3 or 4 blood tests. You're lucking out with just 2. ;) My first appointment was around 5 weeks, however I also had surgery to remove 90% of an ovary 2 years ago so I think my doctor just wanted to monitor things early on.

Thanks! :) I am a higher-risk pregnancy (MS and 35 years old, husband's family has a lot of Downs) but the dr didn't seem particularly concerned about anything except the MS (and that's more of a delivery-and-breastfeeding thing).

My friend and confidante told me to enjoy this few weeks with the few appointments and normal pants-wearing, she pointed that all too soon people will be all up in my business every chance they get, and that at least right now strangers are not trying to touch my stomach. She has a point..

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
The crying...Jesus the crying! My daughter is 4 weeks old today. For the last few days she has decided that nothing makes her happy except sucking. Unless she is nursing or sucking on a pacifier she is full of rage. Non-stop crying. I don't think it's pain because she manages to sleep pretty well through the night. She just...hates the world right now I guess.

Please tell me this is a phase! Please don't tell me this is a phase called colic :( She does seem to have an intolerance to cows milk protein but she has been exclusively breast fed for the last week and I have cut out milk from my own diet. I am moving on to cutting out all dairy from today on to see if that helps...

It just seems like some switch flipped and she's really unhappy now. Anyone else deal with this and what sort of things helped? I have two more weeks until I return to work and right now I can't wait. I hate to say it but the idea of someone else taking care of my daughter for 8 hours a day is so friggen awesome.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Mangue posted:

The crying...Jesus the crying! My daughter is 4 weeks old today. For the last few days she has decided that nothing makes her happy except sucking. Unless she is nursing or sucking on a pacifier she is full of rage. Non-stop crying. I don't think it's pain because she manages to sleep pretty well through the night. She just...hates the world right now I guess.

Please tell me this is a phase! Please don't tell me this is a phase called colic :( She does seem to have an intolerance to cows milk protein but she has been exclusively breast fed for the last week and I have cut out milk from my own diet. I am moving on to cutting out all dairy from today on to see if that helps...

It just seems like some switch flipped and she's really unhappy now. Anyone else deal with this and what sort of things helped? I have two more weeks until I return to work and right now I can't wait. I hate to say it but the idea of someone else taking care of my daughter for 8 hours a day is so friggen awesome.

Have you tried eliminating other things from your diet? When my son was little, he had a sensitivity to wheat along with the dairy problem. Many babies who have a dairy intolerance also cannot tolerate soy. :( They often go hand-in-hand. It sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for dairy to be completely out of your system. Dairy is sneaky and in many things so make sure you read ingredients on everything. I'm sorry your baby is so upset! I hope it gets better soon.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Found out we're having a boy! Super excited. Also, now I can FINALLY donate/pass on the totes and totes of clothes I'd been setting aside in the closet until we found out the gender ;)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Mangue posted:

Beyond what dream said about other intolerances, keep in mind that it can take several weeks for things to get better when you cut food out of your diet. It is not an overnight thing.

Does wearing her help? It helped my daughter. In her case, it turned out that she also had mild reflux (not bad enough to be medicated, but enough to cause her pain) and pretty gnarly gas. Wearing her upright helped a lot with both, and being close to me or her dad also really helped her feel happier.

Finally, if you haven't already, check out the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block. Definitely helped us a lot, too.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
MrsD. will be at week 26 tomorrow, she's been pretty lucky so far with regards to morning sickness etc.

Her only complaint at the moment is achy legs at night, practically to to point of pain. After reading up online we've tried having her eat bananas and she's tried a pillow under her legs.

Any suggestions?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
People here always suggest flexing her feet upward, and that works. I also tried a super hot heating pad, and that helped a little too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Make sure she's drinking plenty of water as well.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Flexing feet upwards? As in trying to bend feet towards your head to stretch hamstrings?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Is abdominal muscle pain normal? No one ever seemed to mention it so I was surprised when it started. I'm guessing it's from everything stretching to accommodate a bigger belly.

It mostly hurts at night before bed, and it's the worst when I'm waking up. It feels like I did crunches all night in my sleep. Is there anything I can do to stop the pain, or make it less bothersome?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Is abdominal muscle pain normal? No one ever seemed to mention it so I was surprised when it started. I'm guessing it's from everything stretching to accommodate a bigger belly.

It mostly hurts at night before bed, and it's the worst when I'm waking up. It feels like I did crunches all night in my sleep. Is there anything I can do to stop the pain, or make it less bothersome?

Are you sleeping on your sides? Depending on how far along you are you could be experiencing braxton hicks contractions. Could be stomach cramps, could be your body adjusting, who knows. As long as there isn't severe cramping accompanied by bleeding you should be fine. I would definitely let your OB know, though, if it's something you're concerned about.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Mr Darcy posted:

Flexing feet upwards? As in trying to bend feet towards your head to stretch hamstrings?

Yes, that is correct.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god, the googling has already begun. I am trying to find out what non-caffeinated teas I can have. The internet has pretty much told me I can't drink anything. Ever.
Can anyone suggest a REPUTABLE don't-eat-or-drink-this page?

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I'm still puking fairly frequently at 16ish weeks, but I'm feeling a little better overall. I was wondering if anyone had used the seaband wrist band things with any success??

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

rangergirl posted:

I'm still puking fairly frequently at 16ish weeks, but I'm feeling a little better overall. I was wondering if anyone had used the seaband wrist band things with any success??

They helped a little with my all-day nausea. They ended up hurting my wrists after too long, though, so I only wore them when I had to leave the house and drive or something.

quote:

Oh god, the googling has already begun. I am trying to find out what non-caffeinated teas I can have. The internet has pretty much told me I can't drink anything. Ever.

Web MD? American Pregnancy Association? Mayo Clinic?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

I'm 12 weeks today. All my stomach muscles feel weird if I move even the slightest bit funny. Luckily no real pain... just it's obvious that things are moving in ways they've never moved before.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks! I was trying to google on my cellphone at the grocery store and all I was getting was crap.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Cathis posted:

I don't have a list for you, but my doctor has given me the okay for peppermint tea, provided that the only ingredient is peppermint. If you have a local store that sells loose teas, it should be fairly easy to find. The nice part about it is that it really calms nausea (for me, and for others, apparently). Just try not to drink it too close to when you intend to go to bed, because it can stimulate acid reflux, which is already an awesome staple of pregnancy.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
My two month old hates being wet with the passion of a thousand firey suns.

When he pees and his diaper (cloth) is wet he immediately cries until we change it (note: he doesn't have any diaper rash or problems urinating). When we try to give him a bath he turns blue/purple with rage and does that "they are trying to kill me" scream that becomes a silent apoplectic fit. It isn't that he is cold because he is happy being naked in the house at the same temperature.

It seems that he is starting to associate the bath with horrible things happening because now just bringing him in the bathroom causes him to start crying. How did I break my baby? Is there a way to fix him?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My daughter hated taking baths alone, but when I got in the big tub and had her on a receiving blanket on my lap, she loved it. I guess she felt insecure being in water and not being held. Have you tried bathing with him? We also didn't do full on baths very often because there really isn't a huge need with an infant. Even as a toddler now and all over the place, she doesn't get baths every day or anything (actually, anymore, she just showers with me).

As far as the wet diaper thing goes, have you considered trying elimination communication (EC) with him? He might really take to it, and then there is no sitting in wetness.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

My two month old hates being wet with the passion of a thousand firey suns.

When he pees and his diaper (cloth) is wet he immediately cries until we change it (note: he doesn't have any diaper rash or problems urinating). When we try to give him a bath he turns blue/purple with rage and does that "they are trying to kill me" scream that becomes a silent apoplectic fit. It isn't that he is cold because he is happy being naked in the house at the same temperature.

It seems that he is starting to associate the bath with horrible things happening because now just bringing him in the bathroom causes him to start crying. How did I break my baby? Is there a way to fix him?

My oldest hated baths at first. He screamed every time. Eventually he started liking them. He did go through another phase as a toddler where he hated them but it didn't last very long. We just did them as quickly as possible until he liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

SassySally posted:

I'm 12 weeks today. All my stomach muscles feel weird if I move even the slightest bit funny. Luckily no real pain... just it's obvious that things are moving in ways they've never moved before.

That's the round ligament pain that I've read a lot about. The feelings I'm describing are more like sore muscle. You know when you work out or lift weights your muscles are tender afterward and it may be difficult to use them for a day or so? That's what my abdomen feels like when I'm going from laying down to sitting up, and from sitting to standing.

I called the nurse hotline and they didn't have any advice for me so I guess I'm going to try and schedule an earlier appointment with my OB or figure out how to contact her over the phone.