Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gross gross gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Yawgmoth posted:

Not if you reuse the ziploc bags. I reuse those bags until they don't hold together any more.

Every time I wash out a ziploc bag and hang it to dry, I feel more like a poor immigrant than someone saving the planet. I wash my paper towels in the kitchen sink and reuse them as well; one time my friend saw me doing that and told me to stop being such an immigrant, and I was all like, "These things are expensive, I ain't gonna stop just to feel like a wasteful American, dude."

And then I felt like a poor immigrant anyway.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But then you can't portion it out. That's the whole point of ice cube trays.

I said a ziplock bag, not a trash bag. Ziplock bags are standard sizes. You use a measuring cup and pour a cup or two in each bag.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I reuse my paper towels as kindling.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

pnumoman posted:

Every time I wash out a ziploc bag and hang it to dry, I feel more like a poor immigrant than someone saving the planet. I wash my paper towels in the kitchen sink and reuse them as well; one time my friend saw me doing that and told me to stop being such an immigrant, and I was all like, "These things are expensive, I ain't gonna stop just to feel like a wasteful American, dude."

Wait seriously? Seriously seriously? You wash your paper towels? How is that in any way a better use of your time than doing something for a job and then buying new paper towels? Cheap paper towels are pretty danged cheap.

And if it's down to that, why not just use cloths from the dollar store or whatever, and toss them in the laundry with the rest of your clothes? I just don't see how washing paper towels is a winning scenario.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pnumoman posted:

Your family does this too? I can't bring myself to do it, but every time I see the paper towel in the rubbish bin, mostly unused, I die a little on the inside. Same thing with ziplock bags. If it weren't for the size of my tiny apartment, I'd totally reuse the paper towels and foil and ziplock bags.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i shoot friendlies posted:

I said a ziplock bag, not a trash bag. Ziplock bags are standard sizes. You use a measuring cup and pour a cup or two in each bag.

Yes you said a ziploc bag not multiple ziploc bags. Now whether multiple ziploc bags take up less room than one bag with a bunch of stock cubes in it, I don't know. But I was replying to what you said, not what you were thinking.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

people reuse paper toweling? :psyduck:

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Casu Marzu posted:

people reuse paper toweling? :psyduck:

I throw a paper towel over dishes when I reheat stuff in the microwave. It seems like a waste to just throw them out, so I will use them on multiple dishes and yes, if they're not completely soiled I'll rinse and reuse them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I just measure out stock into portions as big as my cock, and then when I need to use some I just look at it and think man, I'm never going to use that much stock. Because drat that's like a lot of stock. I mean poo poo how did I even make that much stock, because all I've got is like a giant stockpot to make it in. And you know that stockpot you always use? It's bigger than that one by like a lot. So what I'm basically saying is it's a lot of stock. Because you see my cock is large.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I reuse toilet paper - carefully washed, of course. :smug:

SubG posted:

I just measure out stock into portions as big as my cock, and then when I need to use some I just look at it and think man, I'm never going to use that much stock. Because drat that's like a lot of stock. I mean poo poo how did I even make that much stock, because all I've got is like a giant stockpot to make it in. And you know that stockpot you always use? It's bigger than that one by like a lot. So what I'm basically saying is it's a lot of stock. Because you see my cock is large.

Stockcock?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
You can also save on condoms by turning them inside out

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Aw c'mon folks, embrace frugality. I mean, it's not like I'm gonna scrub my name-brand Bounty paper towels if they're soaked in grease or something, but if I'm wiping down my counter or something, I'll rinse off the crumbs, give it a drop of dishsoap, and wash it out to use later. Cheap paper towels fall apart at the mere hint of use, so I buy the more expensive name brand and reuse lightly soiled sheets.

Gawd, y'all make it seem like I'm grabbin' napkins outta McDonald's trash can or somethin'...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys that enjoy reusing stuff that was designed to be disposable will love these.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

dino. posted:

Your family does this too? I can't bring myself to do it, but every time I see the paper towel in the rubbish bin, mostly unused, I die a little on the inside. Same thing with ziplock bags. If it weren't for the size of my tiny apartment, I'd totally reuse the paper towels and foil and ziplock bags.

Isn't a paper towel like a double wide piece of toilet paper?

How do ou wash those, without disintegrating them?

...and I'm not allowed to have those for my hippie wife, when I have a roll I am a miser with it to the point where people think it weird...

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I have never, ever heard of people washing and reusing paper towels what the gently caress is wrong with you

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Isn't a paper towel like a double wide piece of toilet paper?

How do ou wash those, without disintegrating them?

...and I'm not allowed to have those for my hippie wife, when I have a roll I am a miser with it to the point where people think it weird...

Most cheap paper towels do disintegrate like you say, but I buy the name brand stuff that's quilted or whatever term they use, and it stays strong and in one piece even after repeated light washing.

So yeah, I justify paying a bit more for the good stuff so that I can reuse the poo poo out of most of it.

EDIT: And ew on reusable tampons. Ew ew ew. Then again, cloth diapers aren't much better, and I approve of those in theory, so...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I use cloth for that, I think it may be less expensive, and lower footprint that way (at least that is what my wife has dictated).

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

I use cloth for that, I think it may be less expensive, and lower footprint that way (at least that is what my wife has dictated).

You're right, I should use more cloth instead of paper towels. The only thing is, though, I have a few kitchen towels for such a purpose, and they always get really dingy after a while even with constant washing. So I soak them in a bleach solution when they look really bad, but that's annoying and I always get paranoid about the fumes.

Hence my predilection for reusing paper towels.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to go through a shitload of paper towels whenever I cooked, so I now I just pull 2 or 3 side towels out when I start cooking and toss them in the laundry as they get contaminated.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I used to go through a shitload of paper towels whenever I cooked, so I now I just pull 2 or 3 side towels out when I start cooking and toss them in the laundry as they get contaminated.

Quotin this.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Yes this is how you cook. I even have the added "benefit" of having my washer/dryer inside a closet in my kitchen, so when a towel gets too greasy I just chuck it right in the washing machine.

What the hell, paper towels.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I think my wife might be a fascist... I will go confront her!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Requoting for power. The older and more beat up the kitchen towels get, the softer and stronger they are. A couple of mine are over a decade old.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Bubbacub posted:

I don't understand how people freeze their stock as cubes. Do you have like 30 ice cube trays or something?

The answer is "yes". I got them at a kitchen supply joint and they were like $0.50 each for the blue plastic kind.

Helps that I have 2 extra freezers (chest freezer and extra refrigerator freezer).

Cook stock in ice water bath, portion into trays, freeze.

Put in ziplocks after they are popped out of the trays.

They nest together nicely and aren't more than a foot tall when all stacked.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I reuse my paper towels as kindling.

I use lint, old candles, chainsaw sawdust, and cardboard egg cartons as firestarters.

Mix the dry stuff with the candle hunks, melt, smoosh into cartons.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm always trying to find more egg cartons in order to put eggs in though so that I can sell eggs. :toot:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
My wife's eccentric hippy grandma washes and reuses Dixie cups and plates. I do it occasionally when I want to piss her off

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Yeah, I definitely go with real towels in the kitchen. Makes a big difference in every direction.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Go to Auto Zone or Home Depot and get a bunch of cheap towels, then get three or four nice looking kitchen towels. Keep the lovely towels in a drawer and the nice ones on the stove handle. Never, ever use the pretty ones for anything, toss the dirty ones into the washer when you're done. Keep a roll of paper towels around for cleaning up cat vomit, etc.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I use kitchen towels, and I wash them often, but I also reuse paper towels. So there. :colbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't know. I will reuse ziplocs that held dry things like pasta or beans or that held frozen things that I just restocked with the same of whatever. Paper towels I usually toss into the compost pile.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

NosmoKing posted:

I use lint, old candles, chainsaw sawdust, and cardboard egg cartons as firestarters.

Mix the dry stuff with the candle hunks, melt, smoosh into cartons.

Need to try that - good replacement for sawdust (as I can't really get any of that).

Also...

Just got a new fireplace

I should have replaced the old piece of crap years ago!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 6, 2012

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Its my wife's Birthday today and I just found out that she Pre-ordered Mass effect 3 for me from Amazon. I am either married to the greatest woman on earth or the most foolish for tempting fate like this :).

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Wroughtirony posted:

Go to Auto Zone or Home Depot and get a bunch of cheap towels, then get three or four nice looking kitchen towels. Keep the lovely towels in a drawer and the nice ones on the stove handle. Never, ever use the pretty ones for anything, toss the dirty ones into the washer when you're done. Keep a roll of paper towels around for cleaning up cat vomit, etc.

Pretty much this. Although our cats always puke on the carpet so we have to use cloth towels. But yeah, we have about 5 thirsty colored "nice" towels, and a couple dozen cheap terry towels. We go through a roll of paper towels in about 4 or 5 months, but wash towels constantly.

Also, tuppperware. We hardly use ziploc bags.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
For stock, just use ice cube bags if you don't have enough trays - I know you get them in the US because I have looked and found this http://www.glad.com.au/glad-products/food-management/glad-ice-cube-bags/

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Happy Hat posted:

Need to try that - good replacement for sawdust (as I can't really get any of that).

Also...

Just got a new fireplace

Is that--a space heater with a picture of a fireplace?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
It's so...European.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Just got a new fireplace

foreignfurniture.jpg

Happy Hat, you live in a strange and wonderful land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

kiteless posted:

Pretty much this. Although our cats always puke on the carpet so we have to use cloth towels. But yeah, we have about 5 thirsty colored "nice" towels, and a couple dozen cheap terry towels. We go through a roll of paper towels in about 4 or 5 months, but wash towels constantly.

Also, tuppperware. We hardly use ziploc bags.

We had an apartment with linoleum floors. There were three area rugs, totaling maybe 20 square feet. Our older cat would run across the house to puke on the most expensive rug.