Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't know how many people are aware of this (apologies if it's been posted before)
http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=34945

Pre-orders are $18.

Also, the sleeve is this 3D lenticular business right here:

...because who wouldn't want a 3D picture of Thom Yorke pretending we can't recognize him behind that mask? :allears:

Holy hell, I don't even care if it's Thom Yorke or not (I don't think so) but that remix is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Fleetwood Mac is an amazing band

That's why everyone in the world already has the albums, and doesn't need the cashgrab repress.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Ron Burgundy posted:

That's why everyone in the world already has the albums, and doesn't need the cashgrab repress.

I actually didn't have a copy of Rumours on vinyl, just on CD. And I felt like upgrading to a really nice edition, which the RSD reissue certainly qualifies as. AND, to reiterate, it sounds exceedingly great.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I only have Tusk, and that's only because my parents bought it when it came out. I'll probably pick up Fleetwood Mac when it comes out, so long as it's not exceedingly expensive.

Plus, all of the thrift stores around here have been picked clean of the good stuff, so it's not like the other two are just floating around there.

I can't wait for garage sale season. That's when I'll get the really good older stuff. Though I did just pick up The Stranger and Born to Run for pretty cheap over the past few days.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you're going to get into FM, then don't overlook the early 70s stuff after the Chicago blues era, but before the Buckingham/Nicks era. There's lots of good stuff like Bare Trees and [/b]Penguin[/b]. I love Christine McVie's work. She's far superior to Nicks in nearly every way.

Oh trust me. I absolutely love the song "Sentimental Lady," which has a great opening line: "You are here and warm, but I could look away and you'd be gone." It's a brilliant love-song line in the same vein as "I may not always love you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCUJgnVg3o

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh trust me. I absolutely love the song "Sentimental Lady," which has a great opening line: "You are here and warm, but I could look away and you'd be gone." It's a brilliant love-song line in the same vein as "I may not always love you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCUJgnVg3o

Here's Christine doing "Remember Me" live.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Well for starters I loving hate Fleetwood Mac. But aside from that, releasing nothing but a bunch of Baby Boomer wank is a total loving waste because they could use the occasion to put out some cool and unique releases. Or better yet, just put them out anyway without it being an occasion. Everything about RSD just reeks of cash grab. If they really gave a poo poo about a niche market they would have been working with independent stores all along and not just in the last few years when vinyl records became fashionable again. I can guarantee you that once the novelty wears off and the bandwagon hoppers stop caring Record Store Day will be history.

Also, reissuing two Black Keys albums in a row right after they got put out. It hardly gets more "gently caress you give us your money" than that. The 45 RPM Brothers should have just been the standard release, and this new version of El Camino should have as well. It's a blatant ploy to get completists and hardcore fans to buy the same album twice.

I went last year for the first time in a few years and, never again. Terrible crowds, horribly over priced poo poo, fake hype that makes every release cost $100 on ebay for like 5 days until the dust settles...and to top it all off most of the poo poo isn't even that exciting. Blech. No thanks, RSD.

All I wanted was those Tron discs and they were gone in like 2 seconds. They were also horribly over priced. I think I just ended up buying that hosed Up album that I listened to once.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
edit: nevermind

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why did you edit that out? I thought it was pretty spot on. It's annoying trying to find something rare (especially on RSD when you have to wake up at 5 am on a weekend) and realizing it's just a marketing ploy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I remember the year everyone was losing their poo poo over the Flaming Lips Dark Side of the Moon. It was selling out everywhere and by early afternoon there were already copies on ebay for 50+ dollars. I went onto the Flaming Lips website and got it for regular retail price. Also I regularly see Record Store Day poo poo from the last three years still in stores. That pretty much sums up Record Store Day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NESguerilla posted:

All I wanted was those Tron discs and they were gone in like 2 seconds. They were also horribly over priced. I think I just ended up buying that hosed Up album that I listened to once.

Are you talking about the Tron Legacy soundtrack or something else? I remember seeing a copy at a store in January.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Just wait at least a year for any poo poo you want, once the feeding frenzy is over. I remember this was hot poo poo on RSD a few years ago, now look at it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

NESguerilla posted:

Why did you edit that out? I thought it was pretty spot on. It's annoying trying to find something rare (especially on RSD when you have to wake up at 5 am on a weekend) and realizing it's just a marketing ploy.

I felt like a dick, caring so much about limited availability when it should be about the music :(

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I remember the year everyone was losing their poo poo over the Flaming Lips Dark Side of the Moon. It was selling out everywhere and by early afternoon there were already copies on ebay for 50+ dollars. I went onto the Flaming Lips website and got it for regular retail price. Also I regularly see Record Store Day poo poo from the last three years still in stores. That pretty much sums up Record Store Day.

The only thing I wanted was the Superchunk/Coliseum Misfits split. Sold out at the one place I went to. Lo and behold it wound up on Merge's online store like three days later, grabbed it for like 7 bucks or whatever.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash

dflanny posted:

Just wait at least a year for any poo poo you want, once the feeding frenzy is over. I remember this was hot poo poo on RSD a few years ago, now look at it.

Jesus, 2500 copies? I guess you make up in volume discount, but... 7" are pretty much entirely a waste of time to print.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

So I spent the last few days listening to a ton of records (from John Fahey to Neu! to Sun Ra to OMD to Alex Chilton to Wire to etc.) while setting up my new apartment and I started wondering if there's a way to actually tell if new releases and reissues are "AAA," to borrow from the old CD classification. I'm comfortable listening to a lot of formats, but I don't really see much point in buying Pro Tools records on vinyl aside from awesome packaging. Records that were recorded on tape, mixed to tape, and then cut to vinyl tend to just sound totally amazing. There are a few modern people working this way - Phil Elverum of Mount Eerie and the label PW Elverum & Sun springs to mind - and their records sound amazing, but then if I throw on a "Pro Tools" record on vinyl it doesn't even begin to compare. Aside from stunt labeling ("Analog recording made from a different vinyl master!"), is this info being logged or made available anywhere?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Discogs sometimes has that info.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, I may not be a big fan of the album itself, but the limited double lp edition of Interpol - Interpol mastered at 45rpm sounds really loving good.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

So I spent the last few days listening to a ton of records (from John Fahey to Neu! to Sun Ra to OMD to Alex Chilton to Wire to etc.) while setting up my new apartment and I started wondering if there's a way to actually tell if new releases and reissues are "AAA," to borrow from the old CD classification. I'm comfortable listening to a lot of formats, but I don't really see much point in buying Pro Tools records on vinyl aside from awesome packaging. Records that were recorded on tape, mixed to tape, and then cut to vinyl tend to just sound totally amazing. There are a few modern people working this way - Phil Elverum of Mount Eerie and the label PW Elverum & Sun springs to mind - and their records sound amazing, but then if I throw on a "Pro Tools" record on vinyl it doesn't even begin to compare. Aside from stunt labeling ("Analog recording made from a different vinyl master!"), is this info being logged or made available anywhere?

This is an outrageous claim that I don't think you could ever back up. A "Pro Tools" record recorded at 96k 24-bit (or higher) sounds great, and you would never in a million years be able to tell the difference. Recording to tape is great if you know what you're doing, but using vintage gear in conjunction with Pro Tools can get the same effect. Saying that a "Pro Tools" record "doesn't begin to compare" to an album recorded to tape original is just completely outrageous. Tons of albums are recorded digitally and mastered to tape, or mixed on vintage outboard gear and bounced back into PT, etc.

I'm a huge vinyl nerd, and a snob about a lot of audio poo poo, but I would never in a million years claim that "Pro Tools records" sound worse than something recorded to tape.

Do you have many White Stripes albums? Without looking it up, can you tell me which ones sound good to you and which ones sound bad?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JohnnyMondo posted:

This is an outrageous claim that I don't think you could ever back up. A "Pro Tools" record recorded at 96k 24-bit (or higher) sounds great, and you would never in a million years be able to tell the difference. Recording to tape is great if you know what you're doing, but using vintage gear in conjunction with Pro Tools can get the same effect. Saying that a "Pro Tools" record "doesn't begin to compare" to an album recorded to tape original is just completely outrageous. Tons of albums are recorded digitally and mastered to tape, or mixed on vintage outboard gear and bounced back into PT, etc.

I'm a huge vinyl nerd, and a snob about a lot of audio poo poo, but I would never in a million years claim that "Pro Tools records" sound worse than something recorded to tape.

Do you have many White Stripes albums? Without looking it up, can you tell me which ones sound good to you and which ones sound bad?

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, but at this point all the White Stripes albums (except for one very famously) are available as all analog pressings.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, but at this point all the White Stripes albums (except for one very famously) are available as all analog pressings.

Yeah I mean the point is that this is completely ridiculous. This is the sort of audiophile nonsense that makes the whole record collecting concept seem completely nuts. I was under the impression that the earlier albums were recorded digitally though? Or at least mastered digitally? White Blood Cells for example, I didn't think that was all analog. And by that I mean, when I listen to my copy of White Blood Cells, the Pro Tools noise is so deafeningly loud that I can't make out the vocals over all the digital artifacts

reichsten fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 8, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JohnnyMondo posted:

Yeah I mean the point is that this is completely ridiculous. This is the sort of audiophile nonsense that makes the whole record collecting concept seem completely nuts. I was under the impression that the earlier albums were recorded digitally though? Or at least mastered digitally? White Blood Cells for example, I didn't think that was all analog. And by that I mean, when I listen to my copy of White Blood Cells, the Pro Tools noise is so deafeningly loud that I can't make out the vocals over all the digital artifacts

The first three albums were recorded to tape, but I guess analog mastering for the vinyl record was too expensive for them at the time so it was transfered to digital. The recent reissues were made to correct this because it was always Jack White's intention to have those released as all analog. The previous issues weren't completely terrible(before getting the new versions I got the V2 reissues which I'm assuming is what most people had),but the Third Man reissues blow them out of the water. I'm not about to say that all digitally mastered records are crap but I can say that a lot the best stuff I've heard is all analog. But to your credit, the Doors reissue box sounds great and they had to transfer the original tapes to digital because they were afraid to handle them too much. I think it honestly depends less on the analog/digital source and more on how much the people doing it gave a poo poo and if they used original source recordings.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well hello beautiful.

I didn't even realize it came with a CD haha. One of the corners was bent, but looks like the record itself is dandy. Huzzah.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I think it honestly depends less on the analog/digital source and more on how much the people doing it gave a poo poo and if they used original source recordings.

Yup, this is it right here. A dumbass on a reel to reel can make tape sound like poo poo, and Eddie Kramer is using Burl A/D's because they sound amazing. It has NOTHING to do with the source or the format. It's great to love vinyl, but if you think it sounds lovely if music ever touched the digital realm, you're out of your mind.

Just to put this in perspective, please realize that 192k (which is what a lot of studios record at) is WAY out of the realm of human hearing. You could make dozens and dozens of edits, bounce it down, etc and it would still be at a sample rate beyond what a human can hear. If you record to tape and then bounce to Pro Tools, which is again, what a lot of studio do, there is absolutely NO WAY a human could ever even know that it was digital or analog at that sample rate.

So in summary, please tell me what "Pro Tools" albums sound like poo poo to you. I'm dying to know.

And on a total side note, I think I'm finally starting to DJ with Serato. I've been a vinyl collector since I was a little kid, I've always prided myself on DJing with only vinyl, but I'm finally understanding the benefits of DJing with a digital setup. Today I carried home a Serato setup in one arm, and 2 packages of records in the mail in the other. I'm finally selling out!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I don't know how I missed this if it's been mentioned, but this is incredible news to me:

Mike Patton to release all three Tomahawk albums in a single box set for RSD with room for the fourth Tomahawk album, to be released this year.

Guess this is the first RSD release this year I can give a poo poo about :D

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 8, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

midge posted:

Another awesome announcement today. It's Protomen related...

http://soundmachinestore.bigcartel.com/product/makeup-and-vanity-set-presents-vinyl

Just look at that loving disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ek6DbAAdac

I'm really bummed that they didn't make more Act I presses :( I couldn't afford the MAV + Act II thing until tomorrow and now it's sold out.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So it looks like the Invada pre-order for Drive got delayed? Their Twitter is very vague...

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't know how I missed this if it's been mentioned, but this is incredible news to me:

Mike Patton to release all three Tomahawk albums in a single box set for RSD with room for the fourth Tomahawk album, to be released this year.

Guess this is the first RSD release this year I can give a poo poo about :D

This is really cool. I'm not such a fan of Anonymous, but the self titled and Mit Gas are loving amazing. I also didn't know they were going to put out another album, so that's good news as well.

Edit: Oooh, apparently their new bassist is the bassist from Mr. Bungle. HOT.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 8, 2012

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Looks like Popmarket has a Black Keys deal today. You can get Magic Potion, Attack & Release, Brothers, and El Camino for $58.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This is really cool. I'm not such a fan of Anonymous, but the self titled and Mit Gas are loving amazing. I also didn't know they were going to put out another album, so that's good news as well.

Edit: Oooh, apparently their new bassist is the bassist from Mr. Bungle. HOT.

No, I recognize that Anonymous is a good album... but I've never seen myself casually putting it on or anything.

And yes, that is indeed HOT. As hell.

alg posted:

So it looks like the Invada pre-order for Drive got delayed? Their Twitter is very vague...

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up. Why delay a pre-order though?

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 8, 2012

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet is available for pre-order. Double vinyl - one blue, one orange, 3D inner sleeves (with 3D glasses), and poster. No digital download though, kind of odd. Link: http://hellomerch.com/sh/index.php?...uemart&Itemid=2

Hopefully this doesn't arrive warped. I have had back luck recently. Portugal. The Man's Satanic Satanist arrived with a slight warp from Amazon, exchanged it, and got another warped one. Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel Word and The Allman Brother's Band - Live at the Fillmore East that I ordered from Best Buy last week came warped, too.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, Invada gets their first really big release in the 'Drive' soundtrack, and they've already hosed it up.

Seriously guys, pre-orders were supposed to go up two days ago.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Speaking of the Drive OST is Mondo planning only to release the Tyler Stout cover pressing or does anyone think there will be another 'normal' release that looks like the Invada release. I frankly don't care for Tyler Stout and I don't want to fight to get a copy of that version but I'd also prefer not to import the record if I can avoid it.

Also anyone have a clue when the SYMMETRY vinyl US release might be? I keep checking the site hoping to snag it, and again not have to import it. I just bought the MIKE 004 & PARTY BROS debut 12" bundle. I might just go ahead and preorder the British release since IDIB stuff pretty much always sells out rather quickly.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

Speaking of the Drive OST is Mondo planning only to release the Tyler Stout cover pressing or does anyone think there will be another 'normal' release that looks like the Invada release. I frankly don't care for Tyler Stout and I don't want to fight to get a copy of that version but I'd also prefer not to import the record if I can avoid it.

Also anyone have a clue when the SYMMETRY vinyl US release might be? I keep checking the site hoping to snag it, and again not have to import it. I just bought the MIKE 004 & PARTY BROS debut 12" bundle. I might just go ahead and preorder the British release since IDIB stuff pretty much always sells out rather quickly.

I thought the Symmetry vinyl was an IDIB exclusive?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, Invada gets their first really big release in the 'Drive' soundtrack, and they've already hosed it up.

Seriously guys, pre-orders were supposed to go up two days ago.

Yeah I don't even know if I can order it here in the US but I've been watching their Twitter / Facebook closely :ohdear:

I doubt I'll be able to afford a copy of the Mondo release

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

alg I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get the Invada release imported. The shipping drop down menu has the US listed.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I thought the Symmetry vinyl was an IDIB exclusive?

It is but they seem to have different distribution in the UK? You can preorder it here http://boomkat.com/vinyl/501130-symmetry-themes-for-an-imaginary-film

Also to quote their MIKE 004 release "Edition of 300 copies. We only have 30 copies for North America." So they must divide their release numbers by regions and they haven't posted any information on the vinyl release for the SYMMETRY record yet on troublemanunlimited.com yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mondo is a pretty terrible company. All they sell is a bunch of over priced hipster novelty bullshit. I'm really suprised that Drive isn't getting a regular domestic release on vinyl due to the popularity of the film and how well liked the music was. When any of that poo poo sells out, it's not even to people who want whatever the item is. It's to dipshits on ebay who sell it for at least triple what they paid. Mondo can shove their Drive soundtrack record up their rear end. Honestly, with the way they market things it's probably going to be one of those records that looks really neat and sounds like total poo poo. As much as I hate paying for international shipping, I'll gladly buy the European pressing just so I can avoid participating in that other circlejerk.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I'm really hoping Mondo was just allowed a limited special edition release and that the OST will get a normal release on a different label. But yeah I'm going to just hedge my bets and get the Invada release, unless they totally screw this thing up.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

alg I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get the Invada release imported. The shipping drop down menu has the US listed.

It is but they seem to have different distribution in the UK? You can preorder it here http://boomkat.com/vinyl/501130-symmetry-themes-for-an-imaginary-film

Thanks a lot. Now I don't have to keep checking vivaitalians to see if they updated. Done and done.

e: Here Invada Records, I'll do your job for you:

"Due to several hiccups we are forced to postpone the pre-order for the 'Drive' soundtrack several days. We apologize for the delay and will let you know when the pre-order will be up.

Invada Records"

Copy Paste. It would take them 5 seconds to throw this up on their facebook, twitter or site page. v :) v

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah I'm thinking of just preordering the UK release putting down 2 copies (can you put down for 2?) and splitting the cost of shipping with a friend.

Also what kind of hiccup delays a preorder launch?