Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 1

As she finished sipping her tea, Ada put the cup down and gave Cole a level look. "Why get into something like this?" She said, repeating Cole's question. Her voice was barely above a whisper, but it still had enough conviction to draw attention to itself.

"Last night, not two minutes after the other Warden's claim that 'Order Would Be Restored', we found a woman's recently deceased corpse in the bushes, still in the process of being eaten by a ghoul. It wasn't even that far out of the way. You saw how close to neutral ground the scene was. Some bastard couldn't keep himself from having some fun with her out in the open, and then left that fatso ghoul to take care of the evidence." Ada raised her voice a little, without even noticing it. "She has a younger sister. She was angry and confused and afraid, and lashed out at us when we came to ask her some questions. When we left, she was crying."

Ada's voice became icy. "It's not right." She said. "People shouldn't be getting picked off left and right, as if someone had declared open season on them. Somebody needs to go out there and ask some questions, find some answers, and then drill some respect into the skulls of the ones responsible for this. Respect, and fear." She looked at Cole. "That'd be you, thinking about it, but...you can't. Not when everybody is afraid of saying the wrong thing to you and facing a summary execution. Somebody who knows how to get around the block and find the answers you need is necessary."

She shrugged. "Why not us? New Orleans is our home, too. When your home starts getting dirty, you need to take out the trash.".

Ada sipped her tea again before speaking. "My own question, then. If there were two men at the church, what happened with the other one? There weren't any signs of him, though we didn't exactly have a lot of time to check."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo

*knock knock knock*

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 3

JR walks up behind Mitsuo, who is knocking at the door. "So, you didn't get killed yet. Good news, then. So what'd ya find out?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole (FP:1)

Good answer. The right answer. Cole nods gravely.

"He ran out the door as soon as he had Father James' hand in... well, hand. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a demon himself, just had one along as backup. If you want to go back to the church after the police leave the blood splatters will confirm everything I've said. Father James was maimed in the center aisle, I pulled him back to the altar and you three walked in after I blasted the demon once."

There is a knock on the door. Cole gets up and answers it, inviting J.R. and Mitsuo inside and offering them some tea. Two more folding chairs are procured from the closet.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

"So, then. The other warden mentioned that we should bring any grievances we got to you. Well I got a grievance for you. Mitsuo and I were attacked, unprovoked-like, by some souleater - black court vampire, I guess they're called - last night," JR states in a deadpan.

Piell fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 3, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cole stands up. "Where? No, wait." Cole turns back to the original three. "My final question is this: Can I count on your help?" Cole reaches into his desk and pulls out five pins. Each is a small silver sword on a grey shield. "I've been authorized to deputize citizens if they show interest in helping establish the office. This pin proves you're working with me. It will let me find you one time, if you're in trouble. It keys itself to you, so it can't be stolen."

Cole's voice is serious. "This is a choice, not to be made lightly. I've seen all of you fight so I know you're capable, but I can't promise you won't get hurt. You can give it back to me at any time if you want to stop."

Taking the pin gives you the sticky aspect: "Warden's Deputy" which you can tag for free once and for a fate point any time thereafter as long as you have the pin.

Compel on Hugues' "My life for the White Council" to be really affected by the offer.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 3, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"Fair 'nough. Been part of a posse a time or two before, so I'll stand with you for now." JR says.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 --> 3

mistaya posted:

Compel on Hugues' "My life for the White Council" to be really affected by the offer.
(Conviction to have the mental fortitude to not spit tea everywhere in shock.
Conviction: ++/- +1 = 2!)

He managed to hold back spitting, but he certainly coughed in surprise when Cole offered the deputy badges. Ever since his death, he had been helping the White Council by fighting it's enemies from the shadows, just as he had his entire life.

And now he was getting the chance to have his service be recognized by the White Council again?

"How can I refuse? I accept." He spoke those words without hesitation, but then he looked around at the others, and to Jenny. They, of course, would not share the same devotion that he had. "Jen. You don't have to follow me if you don't want to. I won't hold it against you if you don't want to get involved."

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 4, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4->5

Oh, great.

A job where the freaking sales pitch is that we get to go hunt down some souleating vampire? Nooooooooooo. No.

Dealing with that demon was terrible enough, but we didn't know it was there. Why in the hell would we willingly take on a job where that's going to happen often? Not running way when you can help people is one thing, but choosing to run at those kind of situations is another.

See, even Hughes doesn't think it's reasonable. Once he's done coughing we can refuse the pins and... and... oh, goddamnit.

quote:

"Jen. You don't have to follow me if you don't want to. I won't hold it against you if you don't want to get involved."

She wanted to walk away. Demons and soul-eating vampires... she just knew that it was going to end with one of them getting hurt. And by hurt she meant dead. And by dead she meant... okay, she actually meant dead.

Jenny had learned a lot about the supernatural world in the past year, since starting her apprenticeship under Hughes. And almost everything in the supernatural world sucked. Lots of things willing to eat you, lots of things that thought they had the right to eat you. Jenny had always loved animals, but it'd been more than a little bit of a shock to understand how deer must feel about hunters.

But even so... she couldn't just walk away. Not with Hughes out there, walking right into danger. Not with Ada and J.R., or even that creep Mitsuo, running right into potential death. Probable death, even.

Walking away was the smart move, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. If her friends were going to throw themselves into the fire, well, she'd be right there alongside.

"...I'm in."

Self-compelling Apprentice To A Four Feet Tall Fourth Grader to help Jenny deal with her incipient monsterphobia.
e: Also changed one of my aspects to more accurately reflect how I've been playing Jenny. Swapped Walk with the Animals, Talk with the Animals to "Inhuman Means Subhuman"

RPZip fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 4, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3

(Empathy to read Jenny's inner turmoil. Deceit to hide own feelings.
Empathy: +++/ +0 = 3!! Deceit: +-// +2 = 2.)

Hugues looked at Jenny carefully as she agreed to accept the badge. She was hesitating, uncomfortable with...something. Even though he told her not to, he had the feeling she was agreeing only because he was doing so. But for now, Hugues kept it to himself. He'd have to speak with her about that later, probably on the car ride back.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

In spite of her previous words, when the pins came out, Ada hesitated. She wasn't afraid, or scared of the responsibility the pin would place on her shoulders - in fact, she was glad to see that Cole considered her trustworthy enough to act as his deputy, along with the others. What worried her was the possibility of trading a bad reputation for an even worse one. Her mind flashed back to the meeting with Mother Sula and Vanessa and the latter's suspicions, then a little further forward to the words she had exchanged with Cole on the way to his office. 'Nobody trusts a Warden'. If nobody thought that a Warden was honest and willing to help, who would trust a Warden's lackey with a past more checkered than a chessboard? Was Cole's backing worth the extra suspicion the badge would earn from onlookers?

Ada shook her head. Maybe it wasn't the easiest path to take, but it was the one that she *had* to follow. She'd been the one who'd pointed out the difficulties the Warden would face, and that she wanted to see the streets of New Orleans made safe. With a single motion, she picked the pin and placed it on her clothes.

"Count on me."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 2

Turning to face JR, Mitsuo says, "I have not yet had a chance to get too far into the information I've found. We can discuss it later, for I will be asking Hugues to help me translate."

Cole opens the door for the pair. Mitsuo nods slightly, in deference to the man's authority in his own headquarters. Cole proffers a chair, but before taking it Mitsuo sees him pull the pins out of his drawer. The others go for them, some quickly, others after a moment of thought. He hangs back, watching them, occasionally looking at the lone pin left on the table.

On the one hand, Mitsuo and the police had never gotten along very well. Worse, should Cole discover the skeletons in his closet, the might of the White Council would immediately descend upon his head. Maybe it would be better to keep a safe distance.

On the other... maybe the army would be a better comparison. Cole evoked images of a few lieutenants Mitsuo had known - young, inexperienced perhaps, but full of fire and earnest belief that they worked to create a safer world. His boss is another matter entirely, but she doesn't seem to be in the picture much just now. With some careful omissions of fact and an appropriately respectful attitude, Cole could be an excellent ally.

Finally, Mitsuo steps forward and picks up the pin. With another curt nod to Cole he stashes it in a pocket. He lowers himself into the folding chair.

"So. It seems I have missed quite a lot here. Would you care to fill me in?"

"Oh, and as for the vampire..." He shrugs. "It is not an issue. The Black Court are capricious, and there is little to be done about that. Better to avoid them entirely, if possible."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cole watches quietly as every one of the group picks up a pin. J.R. he expected. Ada, he was pretty sure of, after that conversation in the car. He noticed Jenny's hesitance, and made a mental note to watch out for her. She'd crushed that demon with an impressive display of power (and a half-ton cement fountain), but she was panicking at the time and that wasn't good. Mitsuo's waiting till last didn't really surprise Cole either. He looked like the kind of guy who liked to weigh his options.

In fact the only big shock was the kid, and that was more his phrasing than anything. Cole had a bunch of cousins around that age and the phrase: "How can I refuse?" was just not something kids that age said. In fact there were a lot of things about the kid that didn't quite fit. He was still looking at the pin as if he couldn't quite believe he was holding it, smiling big enough for Christmas morning. And Cole still didn't even know his name. Besides that, it sounded like he was giving Jenny permission to refuse the pin, which was more than a little backwards. In the church, it was the kid who led the charge against the demon with that homemade hand-cannon of his. That kind of device wasn't something just anyone could make, and Cole wished he could get a closer look at it.

Mitsuo's comment calls his attention.

"No." Cole says, shaking his head. "Black Court breed like cockroaches, and I will not have them killing people in this city. Especially not after one decided to show up and taunt us on Neutral Ground." He looks down at the stack of files on his desk, possible connections to the Nazarene murder. They'll have to wait for now. He looks from Mitsuo to J.R. "Tell me everything you know about that nest. I want to wipe it out, today if possible."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

With another loaded glance at JR, Mitsuo replies, "Well. Curiosity about the nature of Miss Nazarene's attacker led us to a shop downtown called Reggie's Inks and Copy. Rather than speak to us, one of the Black Court cut the lights and jumped us. JR and I managed to fight her off - he's a very good shot - but it's quite likely that she would think of us as enemies, regardless of her aggression. And that's saying nothing of Reggie himself, who was apparently not present at the time."

Now to hope that Cole's zeal distracts him from his own curiosity.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"For a souleater, she was a bit of a pushover, really. One bullet dropped her out the fight. I would have finished her off, but," JRs grin turns into a grimace. "Mitsuo wanted to get some information out of her,"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"The Black Court had information on Nazarene?" he sighs. "I was hoping they weren't that involved. Now we'll have to talk to them first." Cole sounds disgusted. "If you took one out in a shot, then it was a young one. Which means they're breeding."

Cole grabs his sword belt and hesitates before leaving the cloak on the hook.

"I'm going now. I'm not asking anyone to come with, this is going to be rough and dirty. If you do come, don't promise truce or safety in exchange for information. I don't plan on leaving any of them alive when we're done."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"I knew you was a good 'un," JR says with a grin. "God already sorted 'em out, we just need to do the killing." JR and Cole follows Mitsuo to his car. "So are we going to kick the door in, or go in quiet-like?"

Piell fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 6, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3 --> 4
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4

"We'll come with you. It'd be stupid to go into any vampire den, of any colored Court." Hugues said, putting the badge in his pocket. Although he was glad to have it, it was probably best if he didn't wear it publicly. Then he looked at Jenny with her badge. "Jenny, I'm riding with you again. I think your car is a bit new than everyone else's, so it's best if we don't cram too many walking hexes in it."

(Self-Compel on Protector of the Small (and "Aunt" Jenny) to sit down and have a talk with her. For the following conversation, RPZip's stuff is in italics.)

Once inside the car, Hugues examined the deputy pin, trying to see what kind of spell Cole had woven into it. A pointer and beacon style divination sounded most likely, but he couldn't help but be curious. After a few minutes of driving, he put down the pin and looked up into the rear view mirror to look at Jenny. "How come you accepted the pin?"
Jenny grips the wheel, thinking hard about the answer before responding. "I hate it. That demon in the church scared me, scared me more than I've been in a long time. But not being there won't help me either. I'm not about to let you... guys go get in danger without me."
"That's why I'm concerned. Sure, today you threw a baptismal font to crush a demon, but not everything's going to go down so easily. There's tougher or faster stuff out there. I'm concerned you're going to freeze out there, paralyzed by your own fear. In a case like that, it'd be safer for everyone if you weren't on the front lines."
"You think I don't worry about that too? But I'm not the liability I'm most worried about, Hughes - YOU are. You keep forgetting that you're not some badass Wizard anymore, you're only 10 years old. I saw the way you stared at that pin, Hughes. You're worried about me freezing up? Fine. I can accept that. But that's not half as worrisome as seeing you run out into the front time and time again. You aren't who you used to be, and if you can't remember that you WILL get killed."
"I know I'm not who I used to be. I've known that fact for the five years I've been stuck in this body. And although this body isn't as strong as it used to be, I've had more years on the battlefield killing horrific things that don't know when to die than you've been alive. I've fought against things that would kill your comrades one second, and then turn them into zombies against you the next. Things that just don't know when to die after you've killed them a dozen times already. What I lack in power, I make up for experience fighting some of the worst nightmares in the world. I know you've got that power, but you don't have that experience."
"And how do you expect me to get that experience? By hiding in my room while you risk your life over and over again? By pretending nothing is wrong and the world is all right, and if I just do my job and am a good person nothing bad will happen to me? Or to the people I care about? I know that's not how the world works, Hughes. You're the one who SHOWED me that wasn't how the world works!"

Hugues paused for a moment, taking in what she said. He couldn't help but chuckle. "They grow up so fast...my little apprentice is ready to take on the world... Alright, I'll let you on the front lines with me, but I'm putting a few rules on this. First off, no heroic sacrifices. That's how I'm still alive today. Well, you know what I mean. I don't need you jumping in the way like you did to that ghoul. Second, you've got plenty of power, but not a lot of magic theory to back it up. We're going to need to work on your spell diversity, teach you some new tricks. Third...well, fine, I don't have any more rules for now but there will be more. Understood?"
"...fine. But if you're adding rules, I'm adding one too. No charging off without me. I know I'm your apprentice, but there's not going to be any 'let's not tell Jenny, she might get hurt' out of you. Not now, not ever. If we're doing this, we're doing this together. No matter what."
"That's only fair. " Hugues let out a sigh of relief, and closed his eyes. "Either way, this was bound to happen. I probably can't be your master for too much longer anyway. Puberty's going to be kicking in soon, and that's not going to be fun to go through again."
Jenny shifts her eyes to Hughes, holding him in her gaze for a long moment, then slowly turns back to the road and restarts the car.
After a few more minutes of driving, Hugues spoke again. "Stop at that grocery store...there's some important things we need to pick up."

(Resources to go on a garlic shopping spree.
Resources: +++/ +3 = 6!! Must have been on sale.)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Ask me when we get there." Cole answers with a grim smile. It's not quite a Warden squad, but he's happy not be going in alone. "If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to make a stop at Home Depot. Best to be prepared."

Resources +-+/ +2 = 3, Cole's going to pick up some signpost stakes and do a bit of Thaumaturgy to toughen them up on the way to Reggie's. He ends up with 3 solid pine stakes, worth Weapon:1 each.

Mitsuo and J.R. can pick up whatever their resources allow at Home Depot or stop somewhere else on the way, but we all get to Reggie's by 4pm.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"I don't believe they had any information on Nazarene herself, and we certainly didn't give them any," Mitsuo says while shaking his head, "but they may know something about the nature of her killer. And somehow I cannot bring myself to disagree that they should be eliminated."

He produces the Subaru's keys from a pocket. "If anyone needs a ride I can oblige. There will be one brief stop on the way."

Revving up the old gray compact's engine (eventually) he sets off, with whatever passengers in tow, for his office. After the usual dance with the door-keys he steps inside and heads for the top of the stairs, where he bows his head before the portrait.

"Forgive me, Father, but I may need your help for a time."

With great respect and open palms, thumbs extended, he raises the larger blade off of its cedar hooks. Deftly he undoes the knots on the cord, wrapping them around his own waist and cinching them tight. Then he removes the smaller blade and slides it through one of the loops in the cord, next to its companion. With that done he returns to the car. He slides the scabbards in between the seat and the belt hardpoint - a maneuver that obviously took some experimentation, but is now fairly natural - and proceeds on to their destination.

Made of Seki steel hand-forged for a celebrated military commander, the swords are Weapon:3 and Weapon:2 respectively.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Reggie's Inks and Copy is closed. Or at least there's a sign on the front door saying it is. It's hard to see through the grime on the windows but it looks the same as last night- that is, crappy and outdated. There's no one visible inside.

It's late afternoon and cloudy out, and there are enough people on the street to notice an obvious break-in. It might take the police a while to get there, but they will eventually if it gets too noisy.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 5

Jenny parks the car a bit out of sight. Hopefully if things go bad it'll be close enough to reach, but not quite so close that a wandering patrol officer would remember it.

Hopefully.

Jenny and Hughes casually stroll over to where the others are gathering, in the lee of a nearby building and not immediately obvious from inside.

Hopefully.

"Uh. So, how are we going to do this?"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 4

(Might to lift a sack of potatoes garlic.
Might: /-+/ +0 = 0. Good enough to lift.)

Hugues had a little difficulty lifting the sack of garlic out of Jenny's car, and also had a few containers of pre-diced garlic. It'd been a while since he took on a Black Court, and he wasn't sure which would work better. Plus, it could be used for food. "They had it on sale. Didn't know how much we'd need." He explained, and then reached into the bag and pulled out two particular bulbs which he had carved symbols on the outer layer. "These two are special, so watch out."

(Declaring two Garlic Potions Grenades. At Lore 5 and +1 Crafting Strength, I get 6 shifts of power for each.
Concussion Garlic Grenade: Force/Garlic elemental Weapons:6. Aimed by Discipline or Guns.
Fragmentation Garlic Grenade: Air/Garlic elemental Weapons:4 hitting an entire Zone. Aimed by Discipline or Guns.)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

In response to Jenny's question, Ada gave the door a careful look. It didn't seem very sturdy, and smashing through it would be a simple enough matter...but that'd cause a ruckus, and the last thing any of them wanted was to involve people who didn't have any business being close to a vampire nest.

"I think I might be able to do something about it." She said, after a moment. "I'll need a way to avoid notice, though. Can't exactly clear the way if people see me tinkering with the lock."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"I got just the thing for that." Hugues said, digging through his personal bag, pulling out a grey blanket. "Just touch it with a bit of your magic and it'll turn into a veil. It's hard to see through on the inside, but if you place it on your head just right, no one from the street should see you...although anything inside would still see you."

(Passing Portable Veil to Ada.)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada duSang - FP: 2

Ada smiled as she took the blanket. "If we make it out of here in one piece, I'll owe you one." Setting the blanket off, she approached the door under its cover. It didn't stand a ghost of a chance: it had been a while since she'd last picked a lock, but the lessons the street had taught her hadn't faded away that easily.

With a light shove, Ada opened the door and stepped in. "You better be ready for us, bloodsuckers, 'cause here we come." She murmured as she scanned the store.

Rolling Burglary to break in under cover of Hugues' blanket. Foxxbot's result is +++/, for a total of +4! Then, taking a compel on Walker on the Wild Side to rush in without waiting for the others. Things are about to get...interesting.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Just before Ada tackles the lock, Cole looks at the group. Mitsuo, J.R., and the Kid are well armed but the girls could use a weapon. He hands Jenny and Ada a stake each. "Try to keep your distance, but if one gets close, make like Buffy. You won't be able to penetrate a vamp's chest without putting some power behind it, use your magic."

---

As Ada crosses the threshold of the door something tingles across her skin. It's a feeling of intense numbing cold. But as soon as it hits her, it's gone. She wonders if she imagined it. No one else notices it offhand.

Reggies' is a pretty basic store. There's a front desk and 6 copy machines. The back door stands wide open, swinging back and forth in the wind. There is a trail of fresh blood leading from the open back door to a closed door in the wall.

The room is absolutely silent.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"drat! Well, so much for a well-planned incursion." Mitsuo does his best to enter unobtrusively, moving quietly and attempting to keep his sight-lines to a minimum. Ada's gotten pretty far ahead already, but there's no sense in letting her go in alone.

Stealth +2 ///+ = +3 sneakiness

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Goddammit." Ada muttered as she rushed toward the door, opening her case as she approached. As she opened the door, the golden chain she'd wrapped around her arm tinkled slightly. "The place is full of blood and no one's home. Just what else could go wrong?"

Rolled Lore to determine what the chill's effect might be...and got a ---- roll, for a miserable -2. Ada is not aware of what is about to happen, not by a long shot.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner The Kid Fate Points: 4

(Stealth for general sneakiness.
Stealth: ++-- +2 = 2.)

As Hugues walked in, he felt something off. Why was this place locked up and so empty in the first place? The blood probably added a bit to the creepiness factor as well. Part of him wanted to whisper orders for Ada and Cole to investigate the blood stains, but he held back knowing they would probably do that without him saying anything now.

"I'm going to check out the copy machines before you lot break them. Jen, cover me." He passed her the CGG (Concussion Garlic Grenade) and carefully crept closer to the copy machines. He doubted there was anything here, but it was best to check anyway.

(Investigation on the copy machines for anything out of place.
Investigation: +/-/ +2 = 2.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 7, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The copy machines are circa 1990 at best, and there's nothing interesting about them.

---

The door in the back swings open to reveal a cement stairwell leading down. It is pitch black down there and the light switch does nothing at all. There is a faint dripping sound coming from below, as if from a leaky pipe. The air smells moldy and damp. The blood trail clearly continues down the stairs into the blackness.

---

Warden Cole

"This is only a few hours old." Cole says, standing over the bloodstain. "But... Why would a vamp drag a body like this? They can lift cars, it doesn't make sense. And the sun was either up or coming up by then."

He peeks out the open back door. The trail doesn't go very far down the alley behind the copy shop, it looks like the local bum population is down by one.

Investigation: -/-+ +4 = 3.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo ducks behind the front desk, where he'd found the book before. He glances up and down the shelves to see if there's anything of note - more books, cash boxes, dead bodies, loaded shotguns, et cetera.

Alertness I guess? +3 and ///+ for +4. I'm not searching for hidden switches, just looking it over.

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 7, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The cash register stands open and cleaned out. There's a few old stacks of magazines and an empty carton of cigarettes, and what looks like a homemade bong. The shotgun from last night is missing, and there are two empty boxes of ammunition sitting on the shelf that were not there before.

It looks like whoever cleaned up here wasn't planning on coming back.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 7, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

As she stared into the darkness below, Ada hesitated. She wanted to find the Blacks' hiding spot, but not even she was reckless enough to charge down darkened stairs. Before proceeding, she'd need some light. Fortunately, she had just the thing for it. Lifting her right arm upwards, Ada concentrated on the chain for a moment. An instant later, the chain began to glow, emitting a red light not unlike the sort that would illuminate a nightclub. With the light revealing the way down, Ada descended the stairs, keeping an eye out for any sudden movements.

Investigation roll, just in case. Foxxbot result: ++--, or +1.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The stairs look sinister in the red light, and the floor beyond is a darker, blacker red. No it isn't floor, it's water. The basement is flooded, and the water is about five inches deep. Black spotty mold runs up the walls and the place reeks of rot and decay. There's a door at the bottom of the stairwell but it's wedged tight and won't budge. Something appears to be blocking it.

Note: Ada has failed her first Alertness check to see what the threshold did to her.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Stopping at the last step before the water, Ada looked down at it and shuddered. "Looks like a pool of blood with this light..."

She stood on the stairs immobile as she assessed the situation. There was no point in progressing further: the water would make her mobility limited in the best of cases, while any vampires who still remained wouldn't mind it in the least. She was about to go up, but the door caught her eye. With a word, she infused more power into the chain, intensifying the light's strength, and took a good look at it.

Investigation: Roll of ++//, skill bonus of +1, and a final result of +3. Should be good enough to spot what the door blocking object is.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The door itself is rotten and there's a hole you can see through. It looks like a large wooden desk is pushed against the doorframe.

It will take a combined Might of 6 to remove that huge old rotten desk with physical force. Magic is an option but it would be extremely noisy and probably alert the vampires. Note that the basement is FLOODED, which imposes -1 conviction penalty due to running water to anyone standing in it.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"They're barricaded in. This is going to be rough." Ada told herself as she climbed up the stairs back to the ground floor. Once there, she dismissed the light and spoke up.

"The basement is flooded. We can still navigate it, but if we go in we'll be sitting ducks, and it'll be hard to do any magic with that much water all around. Worse, the door leading further in is blocked. I don't know how we're planning to deal with it, but that basement...I've got a bad feeling about this."

Transient People fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 7, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"Flooded you say? Hmm...hold on one second." Hugues crept closer to the basement, sword in one hand, and one of the plastic containers of diced garlic in the other. When he reached the bottom of the steps, he opened up the container and scattered the garlic through the water. Vampires hated running water, and although this was pretty stagnant, the garlic would make it much harder for them. At the very least, it wouldn't make the smell any worse.

(I'd like to make a Maneuver to change the Scene Aspect "Flooded" to "Flooded (and Garlicy!)", but I have no idea what to roll.
???: +++- +? = 2?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"If a couple of y'all can give me a hand I can get the door open," JR states as he moves towards the door.

I have might +4 so two maneuvers to assist should do it.

• Locked thread