Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Who are the returning permanent party members? Do they just leave the spaces empty or do they get similar people?

Garrus, Tali, Liara, Kaiden/Ashley. That's it. If they didn't make it through ME 2 (or if you throw Kaiden/Ashley off the Normandy for being shitheads to you) there is no substitute for them. New party members are EDI, Vega, Javik (DLC). All other former party members have cameos as pure NPCs, but Anderson is the only non-permanent party member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Decius posted:

Garrus, Tali, Liara, Kaiden/Ashley. That's it. If they didn't make it through ME 2 (or if you throw Kaiden/Ashley off the Normandy for being shitheads to you) there is no substitute for them. New party members are EDI, Vega, Javik (DLC). All other former party members have cameos as pure NPCs, but Anderson is the only non-permanent party member.

I'd love to know what happens if Mordin isn't alive in your game. I didn't import, so I enjoyed the wonders of not-Wrex. Does Mordin have a twin brother too? :v:

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Who are the returning permanent party members? Do they just leave the spaces empty or do they get similar people?

Garrus, Tali, EDI (yup, she gots herself a body that Joker won't stop staring at), Jarik (if you have the DLC), Ashley/Kaiden (depending on whomever you didn't sacrifice in ME1), Liara, James

Couldn't tell you what happens if members died during the ME2 suicide mission - I always went for a perfect (no deaths) run.

So far just saved the Geth and the Quarians - having a save all the way from ME1, getting Legion's and Tali's loyalty, rewriting the heretics, saving the admiral, having a crazy reputation/paragon at the time pretty much saved Tali from not dying. Awesome. Off to bed but tomorrow I'll go save some whiny Asari. They complained when I cured the genophage (RIP Mordin, I choked up when he sacrificed himself) but now they're desperate for my help. Go figure.

drat, I messed up and let Ashley live. I shouldn't have - she's useless to me. :psypop:

Harpsychord fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 7, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Anal Tributary posted:

I'd love to know what happens if Mordin isn't alive in your game. I didn't import, so I enjoyed the wonders of not-Wrex. Does Mordin have a twin brother too? :v:

You meet his stunt double. Really, it is Mordin with a different name and less personality, like Weav instead of Wrex in ME 2. Same for some other characters too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Decius posted:

Oh so you can't kill off your entire party like I was wondering :v: No way to kill off Liara, was there? So at a bare minimum any party will have Vega, EDI and Liara

Anal Tributary posted:

Dead Mordin Question

I asked in the last thread, and (Spoiler for Dead Mordin) yes he does.

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Anyone know what the point of all the non-fish misc items you can buy from merchants is? I just remembered buying books, flowers, candy, and something else early on the citadel and they never appeared in my cabin and weren't used as gifts or anything, so did I miss something?

dethl posted:

drat, I messed up and let Ashley live. I shouldn't have - she's useless to me.

Useful in that you don't have to listen to Carth yet again. :v:

Decius posted:

You meet his stunt double. Really, it is Mordin with a different name and less personality, like Weav instead of Wrex in ME 2. Same for some other characters too.
A great step forward for gaming gentlemen. :rolleyes:

I wonder if they do the same thing with the rachni queen if you killed her, you know the very last of her kind that you could make extinct in part 1 of this series about meaningful choices. Is there just magically another one in ME3 with a slightly different skin color?

doo doo thief fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 7, 2012

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

That's obviously a tribute to the Myth games and not half-assedness.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Don't think anyone asked yet, does anyone know the maximum number of skill points you can get? And is it feasible to get to level 60 with an imported level 30 character? Just trying to plan some Shepards out.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

doo doo thief posted:

I wonder if they do the same thing with the rachni queen if you killed her, you know the very last of her kind that you could make extinct in part 1 of this series about meaningful choices. Is there just magically another one in ME3 with a slightly different skin color?

The Reapers have their own indocrinated rachni queen.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Got the CE sitting her on my desk, installed..but nope, can't play until I finish my adept insanity run. gently caress you collector ship.

Is the art of Mass Effect any good as far as nerdy coffee table hardback eye candy books go?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Well, the N7 Crusader is my pick for favorite new gun. It's a shotgun that doubles as a sniper rifle, which means I can carry it around only and still be able to pick off pesky turrets with ease! :haw:

The Graal would've been great if I didn't have the collector's edition guns though. Also, in multiplayer, probably.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

LazyDivey posted:

drat this game. I teared up when Mordin died :cry: I loved that Salarian

:smith::hf::smith: The most tragic of moments. :cry: Had to be me. Someone else would have gotten it wrong.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Decius posted:

Sure am glad I spent 95% of ME2 building my team!

Slake Fistcrunch
Feb 16, 2011

What size skull-dome do you wear?

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Got the CE sitting her on my desk, installed..but nope, can't play until I finish my adept insanity run. gently caress you collector ship.

Is the art of Mass Effect any good as far as nerdy coffee table hardback eye candy books go?

Yeah, I got my copy a couple of weeks back. The sections on ME1 and ME2 are pretty thorough (the ME3 section is full of spoilers.) Lots of concept art and alternate designs for squadmates, as well as some really pretty location art.

My only complaint is that the spine seems fairly fragile-looks like it's not going to last/the pages are going to wind up coming out sooner rather than later. That might just be my copy though.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Ahahahaha Ashley is all hungover from some booze Vega gave her what a great exchange. Game of the Millenium!

edit: And now Adams and Donelly are debating... something :psypop:

Nucular Carmul fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 7, 2012

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!

Crappy Jack posted:

The Reapers have their own indocrinated rachni queen.

Which actually does make some sense:

(Rachni Queen talk) The Reapers would have had to be using living Queens to indoctrinate the Rachni they used during the Rachni wars, it's obviously just one of those that survived. The Queen you get to rescue/kill in ME1 was found on a ship unhatched.

So while we thought she was the last of her race, she obviously wasn't... Unless you saved her in ME1, in which case she was... BIOWARE!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Hallowed posted:

Which actually does make some sense:

(Rachni Queen talk) The Reapers would have had to be using living Queens to indoctrinate the Rachni they used during the Rachni wars, it's obviously just one of those that survived. The Queen you get to rescue/kill in ME1 was found on a ship unhatched.

So while we thought she was the last of her race, she obviously wasn't... Unless you saved her in ME1, in which case she was... BIOWARE!

The Reaper breeder says herself that she is not a queen and was made by the reapers, Shepard asks her how and she says they pieced her together from parts of dead rachni they collected or something. So no, she wasn't a survivor from the rachni wars.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm disappointed Harbinger doesn't show up at all.

I'm happy about how I got to end Kai Leng's life. gently caress you, you xenophobic son of a bitch.

Just beat it. Incredible game, I'm man enough to admit I teared up a little bit when talking to Garrus the one last time before the end of the game. It's been a long 6 year journey.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 7, 2012

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OK, I really want to avoid spoilers, but I've been beating my head against the wall for a while now. I suspect this is one of the most common questions in this thread, but it moves so fast and if I want to not accidentally spoil something...

1.) How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with turrets? I'm playing a Vanguard (imported from ME1-->2 with a shitload of points) on hardcore, and while I can absolutely destroy a pack of like 8-9 grunts simultaneously, I get absolutely murdered in like 2 seconds by a single turret. I know not to charge them, obviously. But with a shotgun, I don't have a weapon to hit them with, and neither Liara's Biotics or James' whatever-the-hell is any use against them.

They're the only 2 characters I have. I guess I'm about to get a 3rd character whose identity I already knew as soon as I started downloading the DLC. Jerks.

2.) What the hell is with the lip sync in this game? It's really irritating, as is the awkward pauses between conversation lines. It was so much more smooth in ME1 and ME2. Plus Shep had an exorcist moment whilst talking to Liara on the ship, with her head pointing like 180 degrees away and no eyeballs present. Was creepy as gently caress.

3.) I'm also MAD ABOUT CHOICES since apparently it doesn't matter at all (ME1 stuff) Who you saved on Virmire/who you made councillor. I suspect the Virmire person spends the rest of the game in the hospital, and Udina ends on the council anyway.

Basically I'm kind of disappointed with the game but want to see it through anyway. Turrets are keeping me from doing so.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
What the hell, I didn't know that there's a sprint melee attack with an area of effect. I discovered this accidentally few minutes ago, and I've beed playing this game for 16 hours already.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
So, unless I missed it, we cannnot install the PS3 version, right? I am hating these horrible horrible load times. Six hours played with two of those hours on loading screens.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

1.) How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with turrets?

You have two options.

#1. You can shoot them.

#2. You can prevent engineers from placing them.

To give a less smarmy answer: rapid fire gun removes their shields, powerful single shot guns like pistols or sniper rifles remove their armor.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You have two options.

#1. You can shoot them.

To give a less smarmy answer: rapid fire gun removes their shields, powerful single shot guns like pistols or sniper rifles remove their armor.

So...carrying 1 weapon (a shotgun) is precisely the wrong thing against them. Great.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oh well you -can- use one one weapon...but then you're going to run into situations where you find an enemy who counter your setup.

Or they're Banshees.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

FairGame posted:

So...carrying 1 weapon (a shotgun) is precisely the wrong thing against them. Great.

Not if you're heavily into using powers. And you have something that works against shields/armor.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You have two options.

#1. You can shoot them.

What I've found to work really well is have Garrus use his maxed overload, and then Liara uses maxed Warp on them. Doing that leaves only tiny bit of armor left even on insanity.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The Reaper breeder says herself that she is not a queen and was made by the reapers, Shepard asks her how and she says they pieced her together from parts of dead rachni they collected or something. So no, she wasn't a survivor from the rachni wars.

That's actually disgusting. Also you can tell I don't own the game yet.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm disappointed Harbinger doesn't show up at all.

WHAT!?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

FairGame posted:

You can roll with EDI and make her blow up turrets for you.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hallowed posted:

WHAT!?

Yeah, Harbinger doesn't show up at all. He was the very first Reaper and he gets no screen time at all! It was disappointing, but the two main antagonists in ME3 are pretty good so it makes up for that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah, Harbinger doesn't show up at all. He was the very first Reaper and he gets no screen time at all! It was disappointing, but the two main antagonists in ME3 are pretty good so it makes up for that.

Okay, the mind boggles. The ME3 codex even establishes Harbinger as the leader of the Reapers and he's not in the game?

Maybe we're all just racist and don't recognize him when he shows up and doesn't say anything? :shobon:

edit: You know what? I am just going to not read this thread for a while. I need to be finding all this poo poo out for myself and I have to wait until Spring Break to really sit down with it.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
God, turrets are so much less annoying in single player. A shotgun blast and a charge just about does it by level 40 or so.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Let me guess, this is going to be what the DLC is going to be about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Reroll an engineer and put one point into sabotage. The turrets work for ME now! Atlases too.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Let me guess, this is going to be what the DLC is going to be about.

I sure hope so. No really, I would pay $15 for a "Kill Harbinger" DLC.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I sure hope so. No really, I would pay $15 for a "Kill Harbinger" DLC.

"This costs you, Shepard"

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Just to confirm: priority missions are the ones that don't have a time limit to them?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Some of you guys need to learn how to use spoiler tags - don't leave a blocked out wall of text without at least saying what topic its about.

In a seperate note, does anyone have insight into what/when quests fail due to timing out? I haven't been able to find a solid source for that online.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

As I'm not wanting to risk spoiling myself I haven't read any of this thread so sorry if this has been covered already.

With the pre-handle out the way my question is: Is there a central place to read the all the ANN twitter and the Cerberus news stuff that isn't the mass effect wiki? I'm in the UK and can't play until Friday but I want to get myself in the mood.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

The guy who does Questionable Content (please don't derail into whether it's a good webcomic) made this shirt:

It's not a hoodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt Happhypants
Mar 16, 2009

Decius posted:

Wait so are you telling me I don't get a chance to get frisky with Miranda again in ME3? That makes me sad in the pants.

• Locked thread