Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Haven't Tom Brady and Perfect Legend both said the game Is Not Good?

I don`t know, maybe? I can find top players of every game that can trash that game though.

Perfect Legend specifically was only ever doing DoA4 tourneys for money too so I don`t really care for his opinion.

Me having put a lot of time in it, and having played tons of VF throughout the years to have a 3d fighter comparison, I think its solid. Yeah sure its not as input intensive as a lot of other fighters but thats not really a negative.

One of the biggest things I see as a negative point is the counters and they serve purpose enough since the game is all about high mid low mixups at its core. If you spam them anyone in the cast who has a decent command grab (ie: 75% of the cast) will rip off half your life for one wrong guess.

I dunno, obviously everyone entitled to their opinion but mine is forged from tons of play (both regular and tournaments)

*ed*

I ain`t saying DoA is the pinnacle of fighters or nothing, but dangit 2 ultimate and 4 are fun solid games :mad:

*double ed*

I think doa3 sucks for the record

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Like I said earlier, DoA is actually pretty solid, only those who are undeducated about it trash it.

Hey, so glad we finally have a DoA pro in the FG thread. :cool:

Do you prefer the bigger, juicier breasts for competitive play or the small perky ones for your ninja babe?

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 6, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You troll well, Canadian. However, I can see through your disguise. I too had 'casual' and 'tournament' experience with these games and I still think DOA4 is trash.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Policenaut posted:

I've long believed Kiryu Kazuma would fit in VF though. He totally looks like a VF character.

Please, if anyone is gonna get into VF it needs to be Ryo Hazuki. Kazuma comes after. Theres a hierarchy to these things.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gutcruncher posted:

Please, if anyone is gonna get into VF it needs to be Ryo Hazuki. Kazuma comes after. Theres a hierarchy to these things.

drat it we've been over this people. Kiryu Kazuma is actually a grown up Ryo Hazuki who realized how stupid things were in Shenmue, went home, and became a criminal.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I hate how self-masturbatory this is, but I finally cracked 70% in KOF trials. Holy balls the ones I have left are loving hard.

I'm never going to be able to do more than 5 of Leona's trials and it's honestly depressing. She's so cool :qq:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I hate how self-masturbatory this is, but I finally cracked 70% in KOF trials. Holy balls the ones I have left are loving hard.

I'm never going to be able to do more than 5 of Leona's trials and it's honestly depressing. She's so cool :qq:

What are these trials like anyway? Dude what runs vesperarcade youtube channel recently said they are the hardest ones he has ever done (while conversely saying SFxT is about the easiest).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

What are these trials like anyway? Dude what runs vesperarcade youtube channel recently said they are the hardest ones he has ever done (while conversely saying SFxT is about the easiest).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQw93KsqLk

Also keep in mind KOF actually makes you do the moves for real.

Edit: Whats awesome is that it lets you see the computer do it if you cant figure out the timing.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 6, 2012

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Some news on DoA5 from people who played the GDC build

Rikuto on SRK posted:

The retarded stun system from DOA 4 has been revamped severely since the last build, and the continuous ground bounce nonsense is gone completely from kasumi's 6k to give an example of that.

You can't see healthbars in this trailer, but from another recent OXM preview Counters were shown to only do around 20 damage. They used to do anywhere from 60-100+. Out of STUN. They were the single biggest problem with the game and are getting nerfed so hard you can't even recognize them anymore.

Sidestep evasion mechanics are in the game and working like it was in 3.1, so it doesn't play like a 2.5D fighter like it did with doa 1/2/3.0/3.2/4/dimensions.

You cannot counter off of wall hits anymore, because they throw you into an In Air state. This allows you to create more true combos and actually devise proper strategy for killing your opponent other then just playing rock paper scissors (although good luck countering someone to death now. seriously you'd have to do it like 15 times in a match).

So basically.... yea. DOA is good right now, provided Shimbori-san keeps listening to us and developing the game the proper way instead of the Itagaki way.

Counters getting a severe nerf damage wise sounds promising (Just don't make the frames moronic like they were in 4 please) as does the game being built around how 3.1 worked instead of 4.

Hi-Def version of the Akira trailer is out now as well

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
As far as I know Rikuto never played the GDC build, nor has Mister Wah or Perfect Legend or Virtua Pai or any other knowledgeable DOA player.

edit: what do you mean by the "GDC build"? TN's been keeping their good players in the dark and there's been no news of them actually inviting them to playtest the game.

Also, the guy called Master is a poo poo head, so don't pay attention to him. He is one reason why their scene is so screwed over, other than the games just being poo poo.

3.1 and 3.2 are the closest you're gonna get as far as competitiveness goes and they're not even close to the level of Tekken 4.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 6, 2012

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
What's the best KOF game to start with if I can't get 13? I only have a PS2, so pretty much every other game is available to me (though I know 12 is supposed to be complete garbage). I know a lot of the older ones (98, 2002) are on GGPO, but I don't really know the differences besides characters available (and the only one I really care about is Iori, who's in pretty much all of them). Are the ones that I can also play on GGPO close enough to 13's system, or should I just get 11?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

What's the best KOF game to start with if I can't get 13? I only have a PS2, so pretty much every other game is available to me (though I know 12 is supposed to be complete garbage). I know a lot of the older ones (98, 2002) are on GGPO, but I don't really know the differences besides characters available (and the only one I really care about is Iori, who's in pretty much all of them). Are the ones that I can also play on GGPO close enough to 13's system, or should I just get 11?

98 is usually considered better but it's harder. 2002 has the most in common with 13 so I guess try that. 11 is good too though!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

98 is usually considered better but it's harder. 2002 has the most in common with 13 so I guess try that. 11 is good too though!

Sorry to derail on you like this, but I'm really curious as to when 11 started getting seen as a good KOF game. I was playing it in tournaments when it first came out, and the game was really broken and super-duper unbalanced. There were literally only 4 characters who could be played in tournaments if you wanted a chance to win.

Did the game evolve to actually be playable at some point or do people just have some seriously rose-tined glasses about the game? I stopped following it not too long after it became obvious how bad it was so I admit I could have easily missed a lot.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Sorry to derail on you like this, but I'm really curious as to when 11 started getting seen as a good KOF game. I was playing it in tournaments when it first came out, and the game was really broken and super-duper unbalanced. There were literally only 4 characters who could be played in tournaments if you wanted a chance to win.

Did the game evolve to actually be playable at some point or do people just have some seriously rose-tined glasses about the game? I stopped following it not too long after it became obvious how bad it was so I admit I could have easily missed a lot.

I always thought 11 was super badass, but I only played it super casually.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I honestly don't have much experience with 11 but I have several KoF addict friends who love it to death. I guess I always kind of took their word for it :shobon:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah XI was super unbalanced and dominated by a handful of characters, but it came on the heels of KoF2k3 which was pretty much balls. I guess that contributed to its more positive reception.

Besides, even the "good" KoFs have always had a very clearly defined top tier--13 is the first one I've seen where people have been reluctant to agree on S tier characters. The only difference between good KoFs (98, 2k2) and bad ones (99, 2k1) has been the relative viability of the non-top tier characters.

e: I did some more reading on XIII and Japanese and Korean consensus seems to be that Clark and Takuma are the two strongest, and Daimon is the weakest, but they agree too that the balance on console XIII is pretty much the best it's ever been. Shame that the arcade version was released early as a terribly balanced and buggy game.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 6, 2012

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

When considering a fun game to play when you're outside of a games competitive life-cycle, balance rarely matters. If you're just wanting to play a cool game with your crew, who cares if Karnov is broken in FHD or if Saizo keeps murdering Pielle in Breakers. KOF XI has the most fun system of any KOF game to me personally, and despite the balance (gato/kula/oswald/whatever) the gameplay is really fun :-D

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

KOF11 also had this going for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUhebGd5AD4

:dance:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I guess my opinion on the game is very negative because all I got of the game was the tournament scene. Never really played it casually very much, which I guess was my mistake.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Agreedo that XI is the most fun King of Fighters. KOF needs to have tag teams. If I played it competitively I'd probably hate it, though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Didn't the game have like loads of bugs thanks to the tag mechanic in that game?

edit: I'll try and find a few videos. I'm pretty sure there were a bunch of athena and mazima videos showcasing the bugs.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 7, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

uncleKitchener posted:

Didn't the game have like loads of bugs thanks to the tag mechanic in that game?

edit: I'll try and find a few videos. I'm pretty sure there were a bunch of athena and mazima videos showcasing the bugs.

Every KoF has had bugs out the rear end.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

interrodactyl posted:

These ones were pretty sever though, sometimes even ended up crashing the game or messing up with all sorts of visuals.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

interrodactyl posted:

I think just about every KoF has the float glitch somehow

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

uncleKitchener posted:

These ones were pretty sever though, sometimes even ended up crashing the game or messing up with all sorts of visuals.

Every KoF has had bugs that are pretty severe and sometimes end up crashing the game out the rear end.

No, seriously.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
One more reminder!

THERE'S A TOURNAMENT HAPPENING. THERE ARE POINTS AT STAKE. FIGHT FOR THEM.

THIS poo poo HAPPENS TONIGHT!

interrodactyl posted:

:siren:GGPO Goonbats #1: Street Fighter Alpha 2:siren:

Forward your ports before the tournament starts. Do it. If you don't and it takes you 20 minutes before you figure out whether you can receive/send challenges you will be DQ'd.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012. BE THERE.

DO SOME loving SWEEP XX FIREBALL.

This is the first in a series of weekly ranbats. Check it out!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

dj_de posted:

I think just about every KoF has the float glitch somehow

The best glitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmxhEfim3M

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

AnonSpore posted:

Every KoF has had bugs that are pretty severe and sometimes end up crashing the game out the rear end.

No, seriously.

Jesus, you're not kidding. What about KOF13? I've haven't seen anything severe myself.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

uncleKitchener posted:

Jesus, you're not kidding. What about KOF13? I've haven't seen anything severe myself.
EX Kyo and Iori had hella glitches, but they've since been patched.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011
The XIII EX Kyo glitches I'm aware of were all variations of trying to grab him during specific frames of the R.E.D. kick, and for Iori it was something similar, though I'm not sure for which move.

In XI, the one I'm aware of was related to tagging Sho out while his boomerang was on screen or something like that.
Still, I liked the tag mechanics in the game, just not a fan of tag-in combos or the Leader DM system - the ability to tag in a team member that's a better fit for the current opponent instead of having to stick with a bad matchup due to the initial order is more than enough of a variation on the series' team mechanics for me.

Speaking of mechanics, it seems Akira is meant to be accurate to his VF self in DoA5, and he might not be the only guest character there: http://andriasang.com/con075/doa5_vf_characters/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

I haven't kept up with the console release, but I know off the top of my head that Vice was banned from arcade play because one of her moves put certain characters into an unhittable frozen state (essentially froze the character and removed the hitbox from the game) and Hwa had a bug where his jaguar kick lookalike would send him flying off the top of the screen, never to return.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I'm pretty excited about the new Dead or Alive. Things look pretty good. Lack of "she kicks high" Itagaki, inclusion of Akira and possibly other VFs, and the look of the game seems a bit more mature. Kasumi's face no longer looks like a realdoll. That stage showcased has awesome dynamic transitions. It is reported that you'd have to "Hold"(counter) over 20 moves to deplete a lifebar so no more of that mess...

Yeah, I'm pumped.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Jeez, the more I look around online, the more KOF related bugs I find. This is both hilarious and surprising for such a well known series.

South Town guy posted:

Speaking of mechanics, it seems Akira is meant to be accurate to his VF self in DoA5, and he might not be the only guest character there: http://andriasang.com/con075/doa5_vf_characters/

quote:

"Ask" may not be the right word -- something closer to attacking Sega in order to get approval would be more accurate.

So, they blackmailed them to have sonic in the game? Nice one, TN.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If you click this link, you can see the results of the Street Fighter Alpha 2 tournament.

1st: Zand
2nd: Interrodactyl (NorCal supremacy continues)
3rd: Abobobobobobama
4th: Pockyless
5th: Rivals, Jordan

Good poo poo to everyone; we only had 3 people who didn't show up after signing up.

Next week's game, as part of GGPO Goonbats is
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Wednesday, March 14th, 10pm EST

This game loving owns. It's got stands and poo poo and stuff and whatnot and Petshop is loving broken (but that's okay no one's good enough to do all his poo poo anyway).

NOTE: You will no longer need a savestate to play GGPO. That poo poo is fixed!

You can sign up here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xig5g6jhsq

I'll deal with point standings in a later post!

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 10, 2012

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
How is the online play in KOF13? Better on one console or the other?

Totally missed that this game came out at all and now I want to get into it but there's no point if I can't play it decently online.

e: And I'm an idiot and totally missed that there's a KOF thread that I've somehow missed all this time as well. I guess I just really didn't want to notice it.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 8, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So here's my "brilliant" system for managing point totals:

A Google document.

Yeah, that's all.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah is there a presence online for KoF 13? I'm picking up SC5 to play on PS3 with lain might as well pick up KoF as well.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
KOF XIII is a great game but it's online is pure trash on both consoles from what I understand (I just have the 360 version and it's very bad, even though they improved the actual matchmaking process). I don't really see a huge amount of new people playing it atm.

That said, if you typically have a good connection with lain in say, SF4, it should at least be playable with BnB's and such. Advanced poo poo (1-frame links, things that require consistent timing for extended periods like mid-screen Mr. Karate HD combos) is next to impossible without a 5 bar onnection though.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

KOF XIII is a great game but it's online is pure trash on both consoles from what I understand (I just have the 360 version and it's very bad, even though they improved the actual matchmaking process). I don't really see a huge amount of new people playing it atm.

I play online on PS3 (in Europe, for what it's worth), and the quality changes, but if your connection is at 3 or 4 bars it's usually faily playable.

If you create a room, you can define a minimum amount of bars and use training mode while you wait - I usually set the minimum to 2 since it can be usable, although not optimal, and it's not like I can do the mid-to-high-level trials, in which the connection quality would actually make a difference, but at my modest-to-low level it's not enough of an issue.

Online opponents are a mixed bag - sometimes I seem to always run into the same high-ranked guys with lots of matches under their belts, but lately I've noticed a few newer guys, but maybe my filtering when creating rooms is limiting my perspective on the whole thing - as might the fact that I only play ranked, since I might as well try and get that "win 10 ranked matches in a row" trophy while I'm online (a goal I compromise by taking less-used characters there to help with unlocking their colors). I've read in a couple of place quite a few people prefer player matches to the ranked ones, maybe things are a bit different there.

quote:

That said, if you typically have a good connection with lain in say, SF4, it should at least be playable with BnB's and such. Advanced poo poo (1-frame links, things that require consistent timing for extended periods like mid-screen Mr. Karate HD combos) is next to impossible without a 5 bar onnection though.

Connections only go up to 4...

South Town guy fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It's been awhile :(

Also my connection is usually really bad so I don't play online anymore.

In any case it should be fine if he lives relatively close to who he wants to play with. Usually. I didn't have much success on that front either.
Great game though! Sick combos that are fun to do.

• Locked thread