Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Anti_Social posted:

Is squad AI depend on what class you are? I play infiltratior, and my squad (vega, liara) is always up in everyone's business.
If that is true, it would make no sense, as I'm going engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

Oh God you're going to have so much fun. Be sure to spec points into Charge and Nova, maybe one point into Pull to handle Guardians. Travel light, charge is your most important weapon and it has to refresh as fast as possible.

I don't need to have one of each gun type on me then this time around huh? I'm guessing a shotty, a rifle and a heavy pistol?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Garrus, King of the Bottle Shooters! That scene was awesome. Just put the Mass Effect team in charge, Bioware.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

rock2much posted:

I don't need to have one of each gun type on me then this time around huh? I'm guessing a shotty, a rifle and a heavy pistol?

Just a shotgun and a pistol. Leave the long-range fighting to your allies, you're gonna be in the thick of it. You want your power recharge rate as high as it can go; if you ain't Charging, you ain't poo poo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

rock2much posted:

Shotgun and pistol.

Maybe skip the pistol if you like using your fists.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So, can I only ever go above 50% war readiness if I never play MP? Because I have zero desire to play MP.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

TheBalor posted:

Ending Spoilers:

Honestly, I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking. Pretty much every choice you've made up to this point is rendered pointless, as the only thing that has an effect on the ending is whether you filled the shiny green bar up enough. The ending choices feel out of the blue and arbitrarily bad. Why would Destroy annihilate all synthetics and technology? Why can't I bring up that the Quarians and the Geth are working together? It feels like it ought be a choice to force the Reapers to go back to deep space and just stay away forever.

There's rumors of a New Game+ ending, but if it's there it's not with the other movie files. I have the distinct feeling that they're going to be selling a "good ending" DLC, because these three are far too similar to each other.

Ending spoilers:

The ending really aggravated me because there are three of them and pretty much every one of them ends the same as long as you filled up your green bar enough. Control All depends on whether you want green lights, blue lights, or red lights. At least with control you have the option as to whether or not you want to die. The endings aren't even consistent. Why would controlling the reapers destroy the mass relay? I can understand that happening with destruction but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, can I only ever go above 50% war readiness if I never play MP? Because I have zero desire to play MP.

Have you tried multiplayer yet? There are a lot of us in the thread who were very ughghghgh multiplayer... ugh... until we played multiplyer. Now we love multiplayer. (With goons or friends or other non-pubbies.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's even tolerable with pubs, for the most part, because there's nothing in the game that encourages griefing or rear end in a top hat kill-stealing.

The only problem is Krogan players storming and meleeing everything. Except that's not a problem. I'd call that the opposite of a problem.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's not the fact that it's MP and I have some adversion, it's ME3 MP. I refuse to play it out of the mentality that I would prefer it didn't exist.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So when exactly Kelly shows up on the Citadel? I'm about to do the second mission from the demo, but I heard after that the Citadel gets attacked and Kelly dies if you haven't spoke to her.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Just had enough drinks to black out and wake up on Aria's couch.

Rirse posted:

So when exactly Kelly shows up on the Citadel? I'm about to do the second mission from the demo, but I heard after that the Citadel gets attacked and Kelly dies if you haven't spoke to her.

She shows up as soon as you can access the Holding Area, refugee housing. Don't be like me and let her stay with the refugees. I didn't want to set her PTSD off on the Normandy and now -negative-

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

JaundiceDave posted:

where the gently caress is the hades nexus. i swear it is not on the galaxy map. same thing for the silean nebula.

anyone? this is really bugging me

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Weirdly related, if anyone with the CE wants to sell their N7 Patch, let me know.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

JaundiceDave posted:

anyone? this is really bugging me

If it's not showing up you just have to do a few missions before it shows up. I don't recall which but I know I had the same issue.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bolow posted:

Actually it really hammers home that the quarians did some really awful and lovely things to the geth and their own people during the Morning War. Taking everything into account it's pretty hard to even side with the Quarians at all especially since they blew up their Dyson Sphere and killed an absolute shitload of Geth in an unprovoked attack. It also sheds a little more insight on Legions origins It's highly likely one of his platforms was the very first Geth to take up arms against the Quarians. He still utilizes the same sniper rifle and gets weird when you ask him about it just like the N7 armor

tl;dr gently caress the quarians and the horse they rode on.

Then it kinda sucks that they made the Quarians so one-dimensional. I mean, seriously, they just got together a big war fleet and they were like "alright, listen up, we're not under any active threat but let's go sneak attack their main population center and genocide those fuckers" and nobody spoke up and said "whoa there hey that's kinda seriously not cool". None of the Quarians alive at the time the story takes place were even alive during the Morning War! What are they, space Nazis?

It kinda makes them less convincing, in a way, and reminds me of Tela Vasir from LotSB in ME2. Everyone seemed to really like her character, but she was too one-dimensionally evil and bitchy to seem all that convincing. Even the actual showdown with her in the middle of the DLC isn't particularly tense or challenging, they just built up this character for you to hate and then gave you about five minutes to beat the crap out of her because she has like a million hit points but never really grabs cover or hits you all that hard.

Oh yeah and having to play ME3 MP in order to access a good chunk of the SP storyline is going to be really fun 5-10 years from now (isn't ME1 over five years old at this point? People still replay ME1, and not just to set up an ME3 character). But hey, this is EA we're talking about. Five years from now ain't gonna show up on the quarterlies so gently caress them.

Don't get me wrong I still like the ME series as a whole, and given the constraints they have to work in I respect Bioware's development team tremendously, it's just a pity that good studios/franchises get systematically eaten up by the likes of EA/Activision, then maximally exploited for the short term, chewed up, and spat out. I fear we're going to have a lost decade of unplayable games with dead DRM servers pretty soon.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's not the fact that it's MP and I have some adversion, it's ME3 MP. I refuse to play it out of the mentality that I would prefer it didn't exist.

This is how I felt but then I played it during the demo and it turned out to be a ton of fun and something that added to the game as a whole. You probably won't feel the same way but you never know!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Rirse posted:

I found Kelly after doing the cerberus lab raid you get at the beginning, along with doing just about all of the start-game asset probing. It's easy to miss her since you have to actually get close to interactive assets in this game to see their parenthetical brackets (as opposed to ME1+2 where they'd beacon from across the map).

She's located in the docking bay holding area, downstairs, in the cargo containers closest to the stairs up. Basically go down and make a U turn to the right and check the first alcove.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
God drat, this loving game... I'm already 22 hours in. (BIG loving spoiler)I thought it was bad when we lost Mordin, but....:cry: Legion, noooooo you were my bro :cry:

Also, (not as big, this is more mechanics really) My total combat strength is super high, but... my readiness is stuck at 50% and I have no idea how to raise it. Pic linked since I guess some would call this screen a spoiler: http://i.imgur.com/wXp3G.png - If I could get that to even 70% I would have my Effective military strength maxed out. How do I increase readiness percentage?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Fenrir posted:

God drat, this loving game... (BIG loving spoiler)I thought it was bad when we lost Mordin, but....:cry: Legion, noooooo you were my bro :cry:

Also, (not as big, this is more mechanics really) I'm about 22 hours in and I've almost maxed out my total combat strength. Problem is, my readiness is stuck at 50% and I have no idea how to raise it. Pic linked since I guess some would call this screen a spoiler: http://i.imgur.com/wXp3G.png - If I could get that to even 70% I would have my Effective military strength maxed out.

you have to do multiplayer to raise your readiness. it goes up like 4% per game or so and its like 15 or 20 minutes each

Giant Moth
Feb 11, 2008
Happymoth
How is the adept playing out in Mass Effect 3? I used to do one in the 2nd game, and while the warp + singularity combo was hilarious, Adept felt extremely lacklustre due to lack of guns, and the powers didn't really balance that up.

ESPECIALLY not if you played on anything harder than normal, where shields and armor would completely block your powers.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

JaundiceDave posted:

you have to do multiplayer to raise your readiness. it goes up like 4% per game or so and its like 15 or 20 minutes each

Wait, that's it? poo poo, I'll have that down in no time then. I've just been so glued to the campaign that I haven't even touched the MP yet since the demo. Thanks!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Edit: Beaten.

Also, Kelly didn't show up in my game at the beginning. Hopefully it was just a bug and she will in Ng+

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Regarding a Mass Effect 2 character make sure you talk to Kelly as soon as you can because she saved your fish! :3:

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Anyone figure out a way to unfuck the bugged Citadel mission? Hanar diplomat in particular.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Regarding a Mass Effect 2 character make sure you talk to Kelly as soon as you can because she saved your fish! :3:

Go to Jack's old room for another surprise.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I didn't even know there was MP because I've been on a self-imposed media blackout. I let my Xbox Gold sub expire a few weeks ago but it looks like ME 3 came with a free 2 day trial. Be funny if I can squeeze in all the MP I need in those two days.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008
edit: ^^^^ Exact same thing here. If I knew I might've waited. Or I dunno, not canceled gold / bought it on the PC instead.

Giant Moth posted:

How is the adept playing out in Mass Effect 3?
ESPECIALLY not if you played on anything harder than normal, where shields and armor would completely block your powers.

Playing adept now and it's a lot better than it was in 2. You can equip whatever you like, the weapons can weigh you down though (which slows your powers' recharge times.) In 2 I could only enjoy soldier. Vanguard was spastic and clumsy, adept was useless until their shields went down. In this one you have freedom of weapons.

That poo poo about the MP sucks. I'll probably have to resub.

Also yeah cowcaster has it right. This game is much friendlier to adept than 2 was. I'm also eager to try Vanguard again, since I frolicked through 1 with that class.

James Trickington fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 7, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Mordiceius posted:

Each time you win a multiplayer match on bronze, it increases by 4%.

Honestly, you should go just spend a night of multiplayer. It's co-op and I think it's really fun. Find a group of 3 other goons and just play for three hours.

Wait... Is the multiplayer integrated into the main game? I assumed that playing single player I'd end up in a position where it threw me into multiplayer matches via side quests or something.

Do I need to just go play multiplayer? How does that work if I've already started two dudes (because I can't decide whether I like sentinel or engie more right now)?

:Edit:

Has anyone had a glitch where it shows "saving" and "loading" in the bottom of the screen indefinitely and if you hit the xbox button it freezes? I've had to repeat a mission twice now because it hosed up and stopped saving my poo poo and going into the save screen froze the game.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 7, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Giant Moth posted:

How is the adept playing out in Mass Effect 3? I used to do one in the 2nd game, and while the warp + singularity combo was hilarious, Adept felt extremely lacklustre due to lack of guns, and the powers didn't really balance that up.

Copy/pasting from the multiplayer thread but all of it pretty much applies:

quote:

The human adepts lose a lot of their punch on silver and higher where a majority of the enemies have a defense layer to be stripped before their singularity (or shockwave if you bother with it) will do anything.

It's not as bad as in ME2 though because
A) There's at least a few defenseless shlubs still hanging around
B) The weight system allowing you to game your cooldown bonuses super high
C) Heavy pistols actually being worth a drat at stripping all defense layers instead of just armor as well as having the ammo to back it up
D) Warp having its burn damage/additional weapon damage effect back
E) Variety of ways to set up/detonate warp explosions

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 7, 2012

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

James Trickington posted:

edit: ^^^^ Exact same thing here. If I knew I might've waited. Or I dunno, not canceled gold / bought it on the PC instead.

Wait, do I need Gold to play multiplayer online? I've only played for a few hours and haven't tried yet.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Figured this has been answered already, but this thread moves so loving fast who can tell.

Early game sidequest spoiler:

On the Citadel after Palaven, doing the Indoctrinated Hanar sidequest. Just checked security checkpoint on the refugee level for the second time (fourth or fifth terminal, I forget), but now the map isn't updating for where to go next. So... now what?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It's possible to heal all you old scars if you want. You get some medical supplies as part of a side mission an you can spend them on that.

Also I just loaded my maximum fuckups Shepard and the memorial wall on the Normandy is so long....

Edit: Anyone know if there is a purpose to the wandering crew member that you get a red interaction circle with? Other than him just saluting you?

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 7, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Figured this has been answered already, but this thread moves so loving fast who can tell.

Early game sidequest spoiler:

On the Citadel after Palaven, doing the Indoctrinated Hanar sidequest. Just checked security checkpoint on the refugee level for the second time (fourth or fifth terminal, I forget), but now the map isn't updating for where to go next. So... now what?

Try going back to the embassy and checking the left side for the salarian dude

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

JaundiceDave posted:

can someone answer this

Hades Nexus and Silean Nebula don't unlock until about two Priority missions after you get sidequests for stuff in them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lawlicaust posted:

Also I just loaded my maximum fuckups Shepard and the memorial wall on the Normandy is so long....

Speaking of this, I was surprised that they included the names of the red shirts that died in the Collector attack on there but not Navigator Pressly.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008
^^^ I have a Pressley on my wall. He has a first name though, not Navigator.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Wait, do I need Gold to play multiplayer online? I've only played for a few hours and haven't tried yet.

You need a gold account, according to some internet people. This is the usual deal. Man, I can go like six months without doing anything on gold, cancel it, and one drat week later find a reason to need it again. :argh:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's how I felt. I've never played anything multiplayer that I didn't actively hate, and figured that I'd never even try it. Turns out that I love it, and it's the only reason why I don't feel ripped off for buying this game.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Soooooo, is the thread being downvoted because people don't like the game or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

It's possible to heal all you old scars if you want. You get some medical supplies as part of a side mission an you can spend them on that.

Late-ish spoiler: I was really disappointed when I got an email after the quarian-geth alliance about a squad of quarian marines doing tech support and all of them dying, including Kal'Reegar, and he wasn't on the memorial wall. He was awesome! He deserves it!

• Locked thread