Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Halalelujah posted:

I wonder if any of us would encourage someone to also enter our respective lines of work. I know I wouldn't.
If I were still working at the hardware store, my answer would have been yes. I miss that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Halalelujah posted:

I wonder if any of us would encourage someone to also enter our respective lines of work. I know I wouldn't.

I would tell them to run away, run far far away, and never look back unless you want to destroy your health, sanity, and dignity.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I would like you to accompany me to Taco Bell Olive Garden

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yes, several black olives!

That is...amazing. That is the voice of Middle America. Or so it seems to me.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
that makes me sick on so many levels

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Chicken Alfredo and raspberry lemonade. That's Italian!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

SubG posted:

Chicken Alfredo and raspberry lemonade. That's Italian!

I'll have the bruschetta authentico please.
You know it's authentic because it says so.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
theproblemwithamericandining.txt

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I was positive that this was an article by The Onion.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

White People posted:

After a late breakfast, I figured a late lunch would be fashionable.

_______________________________/

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

I'm an Onion fan too but there's no way anyone could make up that article.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What happens if you cook the dark green part of a leek? Every leek recipe I've seen has huge warnings against it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

What happens if you cook the dark green part of a leek? Every leek recipe I've seen has huge warnings against it.

It just never gets tender, you end up with chewy grossness.

Use it as an aromatic that you plan on straining in a sauce/soup/stock.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
Having grown up in the suburbs of Kansas City that article made me cringe. Had to read it bits and pieces because, yah. If anyone's wondering, that's exactly what much of the Heartland is like.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Plastic Jesus posted:

Having grown up in the suburbs of Kansas City that article made me cringe. Had to read it bits and pieces because, yah. If anyone's wondering, that's exactly what much of the Heartland is like.
People in Lansing think that going to the Michigan Brewing Co. bar is a fancy place to eat. This is a place that uses buckets as decoration.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

It just never gets tender, you end up with chewy grossness.

Use it as an aromatic that you plan on straining in a sauce/soup/stock.
Or make a sachet for your garni out of it.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.

Having been to North Dakota more times than I'd care to admit or remember, I have no doubts whatsoever that Olive Garden is, indeed, the best restaurant in Grand Forks. When your main competition is Buffalo Wild Wings and Shakey's Pizza, well duh.

That being said, holy poo poo do I miss Shakey's Pizza.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think that article was sorta cute.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Kenning posted:

It's the hypnotic gaze of the old ones that makes you sympathetic. Just know that a bloodsucking demon lies beneath that harmless elderly gaze.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Halalelujah posted:

Doing a few years as a stagehand is a great way to spend part of your 20s. I thought I wanted to get out of it when I got older but that didn't happen.

Posting this standing in a ally waiting to get to work. I was here at 8am and had to drive back. I would love this job 100% but for all the driving.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Darval posted:

Report if they fit when they arrive.. I've never dared myself, on that account

They fit superbly, by the way. I am very happy with this purchase, especially since they don't sell these shoes around here so online was my only option.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Kenning posted:

It's very cute. I don't mean to insult the good people of the Heartland-- at all. Nor do I mean to imply that they're dumb, silly or inferior in any way. But there's a sweet naivete, not dissimilar to when you talk to someone who was home-schooled, that breaks my heart.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

I love my line of work. I'd recommend being a farmer or a conservationist to anyone. It feels good, man.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Casu Marzu posted:

I love my line of work. I'd recommend being a farmer or a conservationist to anyone. It feels good, man.

Having done it, it was a worthwhile endeavor but absolutely I don't think it's something I'd want to do forever. As anything more than a hobby, I mean.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
I've heard a lot about Sriracha sauce, but never actually tried it before today. Holy poo poo. It burns. Burns so good

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Darval posted:

I've heard a lot about Sriracha sauce, but never actually tried it before today. Holy poo poo. It burns. Burns so good

:catstare:

Do you live in Grand Forks, where they just got an Olive Garden too?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Darval posted:

what? huh? How is there someone who has never had Sriracha?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I've had sauces like it many times (I lived in south east asia for 7 years), but hadn't had Sriracha specifically because it wasn't really available/common in SEA.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Darval posted:

:gb2gbs:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Don't be mean! We all start somewhere. 4 years ago before I started reading GWS I hadn't had Sriracha either. Now, however, I walk the path of light and righteousness, as does young Darval. Welcome, brother.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

"Life imitates The Onion".

Bubbacub posted:

Slice it finely. It's perfectly useable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darval posted:

That's great but don't become one of those people who thinks they have to put sriracha on everything. Not everything needs to taste like sriracha.

Besides, sriracha is for proles. Sambal oelek is where tha flavor at.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

pnumoman posted:

It's the hypnotic gaze of the old ones that makes you sympathetic. Just know that a bloodsucking demon lies beneath that harmless elderly gaze.

I couldn't finish the article because it hurt my head, but someone who is doing small-town "journalism," that's about par for the course. My boss is trying to sell an area dining guide. We would run their monthly specials and do a review of the joint for extra exposure, something to hang in the window, etc. There are some pretty fantastic places like a Lao/Thai joint, great authentic Mexican places, etc. He went to our in-town, longtime advertisers first. An area pizza buffet was the first one to bite :stare:. I...I'm hoping I don't have to write it up, though it could be funny.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

therattle posted:

Yes, several black olives!

That is...amazing. That is the voice of Middle America. Or so it seems to me.

Come on, you can't really believe this is a real article. I hire people like this for my business on a regular basis. At least 50% (more like 95% in small markets) of the articles in every newspaper life or travel or general interest section are written by people like this.

Here is how it works. The business owner, in this case Olive Garden, hires a local "public relations" person. That local person knows the editors and writers (if any) for the local papers. The PR person writes up an article with the tone of "Hey, look at this new business. Let me tell you about it!". I reality it is a big advertisement. They give it to the papers, and the papers put their writers names on the articles and publish them.

Do you really think some small town paper in Idaho or Nebraska has the resources for all those reviews? No chance. I (and my business) have appeared in several major NE papers and trade magazines, all under the guise of general interest articles. It cost a couple grand to get a blitz like this, but a good PR person knows how to write articles and coordinate so you hit 3 or 4 papers and journals all at once, generating a lot of publicity.

They also know how to write articles that are not so transparent. Look at the last couple paragraphs starting with "There’s a homemade soup...". This sounds like it is right from OG's website or PR people.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
I've only just started seeing Sriracha in danish supermarkets a few years ago or something. Before then it was usually the sweet chili sauce.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's great but don't become one of those people who thinks they have to put sriracha on everything. Not everything needs to taste like sriracha.

Besides, sriracha is for proles. Sambal oelek is where tha flavor at.

One day you too will graduate to the angry lady sauce.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Darval: I think I started buying it in Føtex back in 2005, I only knew what it was when I joined GWS. But I am completely sympathetic on the inability to get anything hot or hotish in Denmark - either the hotsauces we're able to get are something 'HawHaw - see this is so hot that it is named after an anus", or it is something that is basically ketchup, the same goes for the ability to actually get anything resembling chile in dried form.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I had the good fortune of always having cock sauce on the table of a Chinese restaurant I used to go to in the 90s.
When they were shut down I didn't realize how much I'd missed that condiment until I found myself thinking about it all the time and asking random people what kind of red stuff was in the big squeeze bottles at some Chinese places and where I could find it.

Anyway, this is possibly an OK entry-level 8" cleaver that the price just dropped on. Less than $15. (prime shipping too)
I was going to put it in COUPONZ, but there are only a few left.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Edit: ^^^I once reported someone for suggesting cock sauce, before I knew what the thing was^^^

Dear LiveJournal,
Today I learned that my people are looked at with general scorn for being impolite.

We are, according to the British, impolite to such an extend that they are unable to work together with us, I've had a British project manager in tears (well, not actually tears, but manly sobs), over the fact that one of our lower minions had writting him and confronted him with his inability to perform.

I had to ask him which part of the communication he had a problem with, because it really went over my head, that there was anything in that mail that he should be in histrionics about, all that had happened was a direct excallation to his CEO, stating facts about his companys inability to perform...

Apparently he had a breakdown, and had to ask our project manager (who also is british, but who is a good guy because he is our british guy) about these danes, and why they were so goddamn cold in business.

The truth is that we just have fun! I think he misunderstood us completely, we only wanted to help him with his inability to perform by getting him the direly needed management attention in his company.

Also - it is not a good idea to tell the british to stop being weeping pussies, and focus on delivering some results instead.

I may be culturally insensitive?

However my german guy doesn't mind me telling him "Please don't start any wars' whenever we send him to Frankfurt for a day.

So I will work with my cultural sensitivity, I have heard that the british prefer to use the word 'twat' instead of 'pussy' and I will now start using that word more to ensure international understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Edit: ^^^I once reported someone for suggesting cock sauce, before I knew what the thing was^^^

Dear LiveJournal,
Today I learned that my people are looked at with general scorn for being impolite.

We are, according to the British, impolite to such an extend that they are unable to work together with us, I've had a British project manager in tears (well, not actually tears, but manly sobs), over the fact that one of our lower minions had writting him and confronted him with his inability to perform.

I had to ask him which part of the communication he had a problem with, because it really went over my head, that there was anything in that mail that he should be in histrionics about, all that had happened was a direct excallation to his CEO, stating facts about his companys inability to perform...

Apparently he had a breakdown, and had to ask our project manager (who also is british, but who is a good guy because he is our british guy) about these danes, and why they were so goddamn cold in business.

The truth is that we just have fun! I think he misunderstood us completely, we only wanted to help him with his inability to perform by getting him the direly needed management attention in his company.

Also - it is not a good idea to tell the british to stop being weeping pussies, and focus on delivering some results instead.

I may be culturally insensitive?

However my german guy doesn't mind me telling him "Please don't start any wars' whenever we send him to Frankfurt for a day.

So I will work with my cultural sensitivity, I have heard that the british prefer to use the word 'twat' instead of 'pussy' and I will now start using that word more to ensure international understanding.

Aren't the British supposed to be renowned for their insult abilities, or as they call it, 'taking the piss out of somebody'? If so, then I guess this particular Brit is just over-sensitive, or does not want anyone to learn of their incompetence.

tl;dr: This Brit has got sand in his 'twat'.