Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

i like tacos posted:

What I did when that happened was use a mapping program. It didn't feel like I was "cheating" since I just used it to give me a general direction and I still had to find my way back with the blocks I had. Turned out I was right behind my portal :v:

Luckily my dilemma was solved for me by a big misstep into some lava. My blaze rods :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011
Just my two cents, I think the terraced terrain looks bad, some slopes would make it look better.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
An early version of guistuff I guess, almost wrapped up my infinite-world code and wanted to do something else for a while. No text rendered yet since I havent decided how to do that (use support libraries that I do not really know if they are fast enough or write my own font-handler etc). Also tested the engine out on a 3-4 year old MAC (the small one whatever it is called) with a ATI radeon 9500 mobility (I think) and it worked fine with 128 view distance and abit sluggish (20-30 fps) on 256 view distance. I also noticed why me beeing lazy and using gluBuild2DMipmaps was a lazy/bad idea ;O mipmaps were darker and borked on the mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzJQSojIGM

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From the town if you look I think East(?) you should see a big rear end mountain and the edge of the forest/jungle you spawned in. Around there is where I found the cave entrances with iron. They went deeper but I was focusing on stocking up on wood so I don't know how deep those are.

Sad to hear about the town put not being very large but maybe I can do some digging and connect it to a large cave system.

Oh I see.

Alright, so we have 3 pits here. The one under that back yard, that one in the distance you found, and the third which is just outside the village.
Here.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Bicehunter posted:

An early version of guistuff I guess, almost wrapped up my infinite-world code and wanted to do something else for a while. No text rendered yet since I havent decided how to do that (use support libraries that I do not really know if they are fast enough or write my own font-handler etc). Also tested the engine out on a 3-4 year old MAC (the small one whatever it is called) with a ATI radeon 9500 mobility (I think) and it worked fine with 128 view distance and abit sluggish (20-30 fps) on 256 view distance. I also noticed why me beeing lazy and using gluBuild2DMipmaps was a lazy/bad idea ;O mipmaps were darker and borked on the mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzJQSojIGM

Not gonna lie, that GUI is pretty ugly. Are you planning on getting an artist or something to do it? Because at the moment it reminds me way too much of 3071 or whatever that game's called.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

Not gonna lie, that GUI is pretty ugly. Are you planning on getting an artist or something to do it? Because at the moment it reminds me way too much of 3071 or whatever that game's called.

It is squares that are transparent and solid right now so yes, minimalistic is what it is. But my dear colleague who is a ux and ui designer is going to have a go at it. Adding images and borders is not a very hard task. What is more important is that stuff like drag and drop, clicks, mouse over, mouse leave etc works properly and that I do not need fancy graphics for right now.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
In regard to the TestCraft seed, it's pretty amazing spawning in that massive jungle. I found the village and set to digging basement apartments in the taller houses. It was especially fun when a testificate child suddenly came in to see what I was doing and then ran out, shutting the door behind itself :3:

I noticed that all of the villagers were disappearing after a few days. I thought the phantom affliction that others have been mentioning had plagued my village as well. Turns out that they had all ventured down into the pit behind the house with the fenced in yard and couldn't get out. I carved out steps and they came out to go home at dark.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

cocoavalley posted:

In regard to the TestCraft seed, it's pretty amazing spawning in that massive jungle. I found the village and set to digging basement apartments in the taller houses. It was especially fun when a testificate child suddenly came in to see what I was doing and then ran out, shutting the door behind itself :3:

I noticed that all of the villagers were disappearing after a few days. I thought the phantom affliction that others have been mentioning had plagued my village as well. Turns out that they had all ventured down into the pit behind the house with the fenced in yard and couldn't get out. I carved out steps and they came out to go home at dark.

Ahaha! Sorry. I thought I mentioned that. Yes, the villagers fall down the yard hole. I had to build steps up too. It's why I'm considerign a bunker house down there too since they like it so much.

have you cleared out the blocked door in the main laneway? it's completely buried. Besides a little tweaking I love that village as is. I commandeered a house with a nice ocean view to look out at, and have been working on adding a bit more lighting to the town. For some reason I like the general vibe of that village. I think it's the coastal nature, terrain and the friendly villagers.

Spawning in the mega jungle is pretty awesome. If you try the seed in creative and have a fly around you'll see just how ridiculously huge that jungle is.

For anyone that hasn't tried it yet, you spawn in a mountainous jungle near a pond. There is also one of the many huge pits nearby so just keep an eye out. Vertical pits are everywhere.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

General_Failure posted:

have you cleared out the blocked door in the main laneway? it's completely buried. Besides a little tweaking I love that village as is. I commandeered a house with a nice ocean view to look out at, and have been working on adding a bit more lighting to the town. For some reason I like the general vibe of that village. I think it's the coastal nature, terrain and the friendly villagers.

I hadn't noticed the buried doors, I was too busy making Grandma's basement. When I dug them out, the villagers that had been trapped immediately came out and bounced around in circles. I know it's the AI bugging out, but it looked like they were celebrating.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I finally caught a zombie invasion in progress.

It turns out 15 zombies aren't really a match for four iron golems.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

cocoavalley posted:

I hadn't noticed the buried doors, I was too busy making Grandma's basement. When I dug them out, the villagers that had been trapped immediately came out and bounced around in circles. I know it's the AI bugging out, but it looked like they were celebrating.

I think I found the pit you were talking about. Is it the single entrance or the kind of crack which has 4 caves coming off it in a chicken foot sort of shape?
edit: poo poo wrong post quoted. nevermind. i mean the pits and caves near the stand of trees.

Also on the way back from the stand of trees I noticed a hole in the center of the larger pond. On closer investigation there is a waterfall from a cavein going into an open area. I wasn't able to venture in because I wasn't equipped, but there's another cave for you with a secret underwater entrance.

^^^^^
I like the tall building in those shots. Very nice. The village I'm staying at currently seems to be under siege every night. I don't know what to do. Normally I'd build walls but it's so damned pretty I don't want to.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

Frogmarched posted:

Just my two cents, I think the terraced terrain looks bad, some slopes would make it look better.

I'm rather torn on this. The world gen code was in place before I decided to add the ability to create slopes, hence why the whole world is a staircase.

Now I don't know whether I want to change it. :ohdear: I guess I'll trial it at some stage. I imagine keeping the ground flat would make it easier for the player to get a sense of space, helping with the building aspect of the game. A smooth world would look pretty neat though. Perhaps a mixture.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

DuFfY posted:

I'm rather torn on this. The world gen code was in place before I decided to add the ability to create slopes, hence why the whole world is a staircase.

Now I don't know whether I want to change it. :ohdear: I guess I'll trial it at some stage. I imagine keeping the ground flat would make it easier for the player to get a sense of space, helping with the building aspect of the game. A smooth world would look pretty neat though. Perhaps a mixture.

Maybe try the realism route. Make rock flat and jaggedy on cliffs and such, while making rock near beaches along with sand and dirt in general smooth.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

DuFfY posted:

Would it be too much of a pain in the rear end to have it as an option upon world creation?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just keep up the good work with your world sculpting projects, people!
I'll admit I'm a little jealous. Mine has gotten nowhere tangible. I've been reading and considering techniques but in respect to code about all I have is a rudimentary OpenGL based viewer for whatever and some experimentation with polymorphic classes for an extensible character base class, rather than the broken-rear end system that MC uses. It's good doing reading. I'm avoiding my usual parallel invention of things that already exist.

Farside I love my C=64s too. All ...um ...however-many-I-have of them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So the RNG just gave me an awesome, fairly realistic world. It's a medium-sized island that is dominated by dense jungle. There are several little coves and ponds tucked out of sight, and sandy beaches where you'd expect to find them. I've got the render set to "Far" and I can't see any other land in the distance. A few days have net me a decent amount of coal, but I haven't found any entrances to caves (although I can hear "cave noises" occasionally) and shallow holes that could be the beginning of excavation projects. Also: Sheep, chickens, and cows, but strangely no pigs.

The seed is 5051872851762600374. Give it a whirl if you're looking for a pretty intimate island.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Farside posted:

Would it be too much of a pain in the rear end to have it as an option upon world creation?

Yeah, that would be probably the best solution, but I can understand that the value:effort ratio might be too low. I am not particularly annoyed by staircase slopes BUT there needs to be a way to allow the player to scale them without jumping like a madman, either artifact boots or spell or whatever. As far as your project goes, it would be really nice if we could see a prototype non-staircase world before you decide. My imagination leaves me hanging to be honest.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DuFfY posted:

Maybe make it an option? Smoothed world gen: On/Off

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
At present navigating the terrain doesn't require much jumping as the player can walk up single block steps. In minecraft, the player is ~2 blocks high, in my game they are just under 4 blocks high. Working staircases can be built without the need for a special 'stair' block. I will be doing some tests with smoother terrain generation at some stage.

I would really like the variety to stem from the world itself rather than a user setting. Both styles of terrain could co-exist in the same world. With the large multiplayer focus, a user-control would have to be a server setting and thus players would have no say in the matter anyway.

In other news, a base class for networked entities is in and working (for items, monsters, etc) and the player can now swim instead of walking along the ocean floor like they're wearing Link's iron boots.

DuFfY fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 7, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh god now I'm terrified of someone recreating the water temple.

Oh god no. No no no no

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I am in love with my villagers, I thought i'd never get so attached!

Question is, do we not get villager professions in SMP?

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

DuFfY posted:

At present navigating the terrain doesn't require much jumping as the player can walk up single block steps. In minecraft, the player is ~2 blocks high, in my game they are just under 4 blocks high. Working staircases can be built without the need for a special 'stair' block. I will be doing some tests with smoother terrain generation at some stage.

I would really like the variety to stem from the world itself rather than a user setting. Both styles of terrain could co-exist in the same world. With the large multiplayer focus, a user-control would have to be a server setting and thus players would have no say in the matter anyway.

In other news, a base class for networked entities is in and working (for items, monsters, etc) and the player can now swim instead of walking along the ocean floor like they're wearing Link's iron boots.

Personally I like the tiered terrain, it gives better visual feedback.. with "smooth" terrain it will probably look to much like a simple height-map, especially if you do not add variation to the texture and add blending of terrain textures between two different materials etc.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Bicehunter posted:

Personally I like the tiered terrain, it gives better visual feedback.. with "smooth" terrain it will probably look to much like a simple height-map, especially if you do not add variation to the texture and add blending of terrain textures between two different materials etc.

I'd say there's almost no way of knowing before trying. For all we know it could be the Next Big Thing. Tell 2-years-ago-me he'd get addicted to a block game, I'd have laughed in your face; if Duffy doesn't try it, someone else will and he'll lose out on the millions of dollars.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I kind of want to try and do the music for those. (Not that I will, it'd be a lot of work to make a decent range of tunes, plus it'd be really bad form to do something derivative of C418's stuff for Minecraft which I fear I'd end up doing.)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A friend of mine just installed Minecraft on his Mac, and he is complaining that MC is eating up all of his memory. Is there a memory leak or is this just standard Minecraft behavior?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

As I recently said to a friend of mine, Minecraft eats more RAM than a diabetic American at a buffet. So yeah, that's pretty much normal.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

entris posted:

A friend of mine just installed Minecraft on his Mac, and he is complaining that MC is eating up all of his memory. Is there a memory leak or is this just standard Minecraft behavior?

Both.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Laser Spider posted:

As I recently said to a friend of mine, Minecraft eats more RAM than a diabetic American at a buffet. So yeah, that's pretty much normal.

I know there's always someone that says this with each new version, so I guess this time it will be me. In vanilla 1.1 the f3 graph looked like a green heart rate monitor. It never spiked more than halfway up the semi-transparent box behind it, even with all of the settings on full. I haven't played since then and now 1.2.3 has this huge creeping smear of red that obscures the player coordinates most of the time.

I've never used it, but is this the sort of thing that optifine fixes? (or was that integrated into the game already, I can't remember?)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Optifine will buff those red lines right out.

I can't believe how much stabler it makes things. VERY occasionally it hangs for a few seconds and then will either catch up or crash, but that's a minor inconvenience every few hours for me, and it may not even be Optifine that does it.

Although I do get crashes on exit with it (OSX)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was just about to say Optifine hadn't updated to 1.2.3 yet but apparently it's done so since two days ago when I checked! I can't play without it either, when I try to play a clean vanilla minecraft it always hangs every so often, enough to make it almost unplayable.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
One thing for villages, the golems should attack you if you steal stuff out of the chests.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

entris posted:

Have him check in the Options > Video Settings menu to make sure there's not huge red text that says it's using 32bit java. If it has that text, have him delete Minecraft.app from his Applications folder and download it from the Minecraft site again. Supposedly they've fixed the Mac launcher not using 64bit Java by default.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks, I've passed along that tip!

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

thehustler posted:

Optifine will buff those red lines right out.

I can't believe how much stabler it makes things. VERY occasionally it hangs for a few seconds and then will either catch up or crash, but that's a minor inconvenience every few hours for me, and it may not even be Optifine that does it.

Although I do get crashes on exit with it (OSX)

For anyone else who hasn't tried Optifine - these are readings from over a massive jungle where the red was at it's worst (screens taken after the chunks were done loading, it was even worse during that). I don't know what specs are used where, but for reference I have a 2 year-old core2 quad 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, and a 1GB nVidia GeForce GT 220.

Before:

After:

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
I think I spend more time making mod textures to match the current texture pack Im using than actually play Minecraft. :suicide:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

burntpork posted:

I think I spend more time making mod textures to match the current texture pack Im using than actually play Minecraft. :suicide:

Holy poo poo, tell me about it. I just spent the last two days making custom 32 x 32 textures for the 3 or 4 mods I'm using. It's strangely addicting. Pixel art is very relaxing.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Sooo, I spent a couple of hours now in the evening to make terrain generation non-blocking, works so much smoother like that ;p I guess a few issues to iron out, but one babby step at the time.

I also made blocks beeing able to be directional. If they are multisided they will "face" your direction when placing them. I also added so blocks can be active or not if they are "activatable". You activate blocks with "e". This is where I will hook meta-data to blocks too, if it has meta data more stuff than just changing texture will happen (in the video the top part of the block changes), stuff like opening a storage container or opening up a smelter or what not.

So, I did a block that is both multisided and activatable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNtK2klqa-s

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Hey, so why did I just hear a distant explosion while roaming around my little island on an unmodified game? It sounded like a Creeper went off, but I didn't think they would blow up on anything but the player?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, so why did I just hear a distant explosion while roaming around my little island on an unmodified game? It sounded like a Creeper went off, but I didn't think they would blow up on anything but the player?
Could have run into an iron golem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
or lightning.