Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

seal it with a kiss posted:

This game owns bones. Some of the stuff that we saw in the script is admittedly bad, but not as terrible as it turned out to be. This is at least as good as Mass Effect 2.

Hell, I'd say it's hands down better. I'm about 26 hours in and while the script isn't exactly going to win any fiction awards, I'm enjoying it. Then add to that what is far and away the best gameplay and mechanics of the series, really cool new enemies (gently caress phantoms) and ...poo poo, I can't remember the last time I played anything that was this much fun.

There are some little things that bug me here and there but they seem very trivial compared to the overall experience.

E: Also, totally unrelated:

How are you guys building your Vanguards? I'm level 55 and I have 40 points just sitting around collecting dust. Should I crank up cryo ammo and play around with that or something? Everything that actually matters is already maxed out.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wingless posted:

Final Gripe:
There was no actual confrontation with Harbinger at the end, which is odd considering they built him up so much. I think my main problem with the ending is that it had nothing to do with all the characters we had been following and was just about some arbitrary crap that was only introduced at the last minute.

There is a confrontation. It goes about as well as could be expected. Remember the Reaper who descended down closest to the beam as you ran towards it near the very ending, shooting at you the whole way? That's him.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Space Monster posted:

I just beat the game and I have no idea What The gently caress happened. I understand that I blew up the mass relays and the reapers....but THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAT NEEDS TO BE WRAPPED UP. WHAT HAPPENED TO SHEPARD? WHAT HAPPENED TO GALACTIC CIVILIZATION? WHY AM I NOT IN RIO GETTING DRUNK WITH JACOB RIGHT NOW? Also, I took Tali and Liara with me on the final mission, neither made it to the beam, and somehow they are both now on Normandy with Joker? Does not compute.

The Mass Effect saga's conclusion, ladies and gentlemen: "Yeah, We Don't Actually Give A gently caress About Your Choices."

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

Ending question: Okay so I know you get the 3 endings where the relays blow up and the galaxy as we know it is basically done. But what about Sheperd and crew? Do you spend 3 games building relationships with crew and other characters only to have it all go to poo poo in every ending? I don't think I can play ME3 if there's not at LEAST Sheperd and crew together at the end. I'd also like to know if you get to hang with alliance people (esp. General Hackett) at the end.

Also this galaxy goes to poo poo ending is horrible for an RPG trilogy that's lasted several years. If mass effect 1 was entirely standalone and the galaxy ended up hosed then whatever, but a trilogy just shouldn't go down like that. If an ending takes 3 times as long to build up to, it's 3 times as bad when you half-rear end it.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

BobTheSpy posted:

So, this game seems pretty loving rad so far. Why does /v/ hate it so much? Can we go on like, some campaign to convince them they're wrong

Because the dev team made many objectively terrible design and plot decisions, in many cases completely losing sight of what the target audience was supposed to be or what the setting itself was. It's a mediocre game that tries to hide itself behind big budget and shiny production values, and all that carries it forward with a semblance of adequacy is what was built by the previous two titles, showing very little merit for itself.

Add on top of that executive meddling/pandering and a general piss poor handling of PR, and yeah...

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Nephilm posted:

Because the dev team made many objectively terrible design and plot decisions, in many cases completely losing sight of what the target audience was supposed to be or what the setting itself was. It's a mediocre game that tries to hide itself behind big budget and shiny production values, and all that carries it forward with a semblance of adequacy is what was built by the previous two titles, showing very little merit for itself.

Add on top of that executive meddling/pandering and a general piss poor handling of PR, and yeah...

To be perfectly honest, if it wasn't for the ending this would be my favorite RPG of all time. I just spent two days eating, sleeping, and playing ME3 and I regret nothing, but the ending is just so confusing and worthless. I hope they release some DLC that alters the ending.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Good thing I ignored all press/criticism and just blind bought ME3. Enjoying it very much so far.

Is anyone else bothered by the lack of guardrails in the Citadel nightclub? One drunken stumble on the dance floor and you're falling 3 stories.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
The whole "NG+ gives you an ending that makes more sense" is a rumor with no known supporting evidence, correct?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

fivegears4reverse posted:

There is a confrontation. It goes about as well as could be expected. Remember the Reaper who descended down closest to the beam as you ran towards it near the very ending, shooting at you the whole way? That's him.

Oh I know that, but shooting beams at you for thirty seconds and then flying away is hardly a grand confrontation. Nothing is said, nothing is resolved, we never find out why he was so fixated on Shepard, if he can know fear before the end, anything. Hell, we're not even told that it is Harbinger specifically, we're just assuming that because he and a dozen others were heading that way. Unless I missed something?

Fenrir posted:

poo poo, I can't remember the last time I played anything that was this much fun.

There are some little things that bug me here and there but they seem very trivial compared to the overall experience.

It's so obvious you haven't finished it yet. You'll be back.

EDIT: VV Er, the EDI thing is a spoiler VV

Wingless fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 8, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Ugh I'm really trying to avoid reading this thread because I know I'm going to see something that will influence my experience with the game, but I just gotta chime in to say that I came into the game 100% prepared to dislike James and EDI's sexy robot body and was totally wrong on both fronts.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

BobTheSpy posted:

So, this game seems pretty loving rad so far. Why does /v/ hate it so much? Can we go on like, some campaign to convince them they're wrong

As someone who (sadly) frequents /v/ and /vg/ I can say its all because of Jennifer Hepler, Dragon Age 2, TOR and because Bioware is backed by EA. Lots of people there like to grossly exaggerate the thing she said about a "fast forward" button for games and people have gone as far as to create fake forum posts of her commenting on development of ME3 (which she had no part in whatsoever). People love the little guy but love even more to hate on the big evil corporation as well (EA) then combine that with people who think that ME2's system greatly dumbed down the game as well, like the original had the best gameplay clearly.

Not to say the games don't have their share of faults. Nothing wrong with not liking the game for your own reasons but the bad user reviews aren't just thanks to /v/, you can also credit TotalBiscuit. Being the noble, honorable person he is he made a public youtube video about how he was boycotting the game because of how evil day 1 dlc is so there ya go.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
So apparently unlike ME2 when you reached a certain point in the game it would ask you to switch discs which was fine because it would never ask you to swap the other disc back (until the very last mission for I assume the CG videos). But now they seemed to have ditched that rational way of handling disc swaps since I've already had to insert disc 2 (and I'm only 5 hours in) and then immediately told to swap back to disc 1.

This is loving garbage for people like me who are trying to keep an aging Xbox alive by installing everything before playing it, and the lovely HD in these things is short a GB from allowing me to install both loving discs after I've deleted all other content.

edit: wow why the gently caress are people here caring about what some lovely 4chan board thinks about this game? jesus christ get some perspective

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Strange Matter posted:

Ugh I'm really trying to avoid reading this thread because I know I'm going to see something that will influence my experience with the game, but I just gotta chime in to say that I came into the game 100% prepared to dislike James and EDI's sexy robot body and was totally wrong on both fronts.

James is such a loving meathead it's hilarious. I wanted to [DLC character opinion]airlock Javik more times that I could count though.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

cell posted:

James is such a loving meathead it's hilarious. I wanted to airlock the DLC character more times that I could count though.
There's a part in the beginning, I think before or during the Mars mission, when he's following Shep and Kaidan around saying "Where we going?" and he sounds like a giant 10 year old and it's awesome. Him and Garrus as my squadmates is the best because they actually sound like they're having fun blowing up everything.

I also found myself really impressed by Jack's redesign.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Citadel:

When do the sidequests there get locked out? I'm about to recover the Krogan female. Am I too late to finish them?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I'll admit, even with a vague warning I found the EDI thing pretty anime as gently caress. But just now she said Don't worry, I only forget to recycle the oxygen when I find something TRULY interesting and Shepard went

I don't care whether her cybody is a little bit disturbingly sexy in that decidedly Japanese way. EDI is a true bro and hero.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Why oh why would a game design team think I'd want to see blobby static texture people in the far off hallways and undersides of corridors in the Citadel rather than nothing or ANYTHING else.

There's even a really bad part where they have a 3D C-sec officer walking around through them.

Not to mention the awful ones in Purgatory that are made to be "dancing".

I understand I'm supposed to swing my view over them quickly and not even notice, but I like to dig deep when I'm exploring, so it's kinda grating. Can a couple dozen more 3D assets be that bad?

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Citadel:

When do the sidequests there get locked out? I'm about to recover the Krogan female. Am I too late to finish them?

I'm a couple missions after that and they're still open for me.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Strange Matter posted:

I also found myself really impressed by Jack's redesign.

Agreed, plus I liked how they developed her character. First meeting with Jack spoiler: I was expecting her to be slumming somewhere or something self-destructive, but it makes perfect sense that she'd be working with kids and become very protective of them due to her upbringing.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Loving Life Partner posted:

Why oh why would a game design team think I'd want to see blobby static texture people in the far off hallways and undersides of corridors in the Citadel rather than nothing or ANYTHING else.

There's even a really bad part where they have a 3D C-sec officer walking around through them.

Not to mention the awful ones in Purgatory that are made to be "dancing".

I understand I'm supposed to swing my view over them quickly and not even notice, but I like to dig deep when I'm exploring, so it's kinda grating. Can a couple dozen more 3D assets be that bad?

Considering that they had to remove the holster weapon animations because of memory limitations, yeah, probably.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Space Monster posted:

To be perfectly honest, if it wasn't for the ending this would be my favorite RPG of all time. I just spent two days eating, sleeping, and playing ME3 and I regret nothing, but the ending is just so confusing and worthless. I hope they release some DLC that alters the ending.

Well, that's good for the game to make you feel that way I guess, but ME3 rapidly approaches a point where it barely qualifies as an RPG, at least in the western traditional sense, and it also makes me question what RPGs you have played in your life for that context.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

RONALD REAGAN posted:

I'm a couple missions after that and they're still open for me.

Thanks! Loving this game so far. Met Jack just before and yeah I really like what they've done with her. Really sweet that she acts like the "Big Sis" for her students and is concerned for their well being. Her trying to censor herself is adorable.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 8, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Hahaha, the DLC character's line about the Salarians. "...they used to eat flies." The tone of it absolutely makes it.

Game is fantastic. Too bad I have to go to work!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The (geth mission spoiler)virtual reality mission to shut down the server felt like I was fulfilling the description of the illegal Shepard VI from ME2. I delete data like you on the way to real errors :black101:

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Nephilm posted:

Well, that's good for the game to make you feel that way I guess, but ME3 rapidly approaches a point where it barely qualifies as an RPG, at least in the western traditional sense, and it also makes me question what RPGs you have played in your life for that context.
How is it barely an RPG? You customize your weapons, skills, and choose various things in the story.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

CaptainCarrot posted:

How is it barely an RPG? You customize your weapons, skills, and choose various things in the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRPG

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

While it is a small detail and cosmetic in nature, I was upset that the game case only featured white male Shepard.

:siren: If you turn the paper insert of the case around you can have a female Shepard box cover! :siren:

Also, I have a mission named "Shrike Abyssmal: Prothean Obelisk" or something similar, but I don't understand where I am expected to go. Could somebody clue me in, please?

edit: vvvvvvv thanks, again ronnie!

The Sean fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 8, 2012

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011

The Sean posted:

Also, I have a mission named "Shrike Abyssmal: Prothean Obelisk" or something similar, but I don't understand where I am expected to go. Could somebody clue me in, please?

The Shrike Abyssal might not be accessible for you, yet. If it isn't, just do a mission or two and it will unlock. If it is available, you basically just have to fly around scanning planets there until you find it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
It is pretty loving lame how everybody is dead or missing if you start a new game with no save import. Makes me wish I havent lost my me2 save :(

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Wait, are you saying that Mass Effect is like Final Fantasy? :confused:

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Do we ever see Jack again after her first mission?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I've gathered that there may be points of no return, or at least sidequests that will disappear after a certain period of time. Is it safe to assume that only the main story missions, the "Priority: Do This Thing" missions, will advance that time, and I can just do all the sidequests that open up ASAP, without worrying which ones to do first?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
So are the rumors of an epilogue or new ending occurring if you play new game plus true

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 8, 2012

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011

CVagts posted:

So I've gathered that there may be points of no return, or at least sidequests that will disappear after a certain period of time. Is it safe to assume that only the main story missions, the "Priority: Do This Thing" missions, will advance that time, and I can just do all the sidequests that open up ASAP, without worrying which ones to do first?

I'm pretty sure this is how it works, yes.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
So I've just started playing through and while I'm greatly enjoying it, the small FOV on the PC can get annoying sometimes, I've been able to google up some FOV changers but they are all for the demo rather than the full version, are any FOV changers out for the full PC version yet?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

So are the rumors of an epilogue or new ending occur if you play new game plus

Please go do this and put the video on youtube. No way in hell I'm going through all that again so soon.

VV Little Salarian guy at the back of the refugee area VV

Wingless fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 8, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Help with some Eclipse stuff:

Okay, so i'm uniting all 3 merc gangs for Aria, for myself. The one where you talk to the bitch in jail, Joda or something, she pissed me off with her wanna be badassness, so I declined to release her, and Shepard just say "i'll find another way", so my quest log hasn't updated, Bailey doesn't say anything now, Aria doesn't say anything.

She mentioned her second in command being a little bitch, so I figure I can just leave her rot and lean on him to take command, but I have no earthly idea where I find this guy, any hints? The quest log hasn't even updated to tell me to do that, and I can't talk to her again either.

EDIT: Nm, found him.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 8, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Loving Life Partner posted:

Help with some Eclipse stuff:

Okay, so i'm uniting all 3 merc gangs for Aria, for myself. The one where you talk to the bitch in jail, Joda or something, she pissed me off with her wanna be badassness, so I declined to release her, and Shepard just say "i'll find another way", so my quest log hasn't updated, Bailey doesn't say anything now, Aria doesn't say anything.

She mentioned her second in command being a little bitch, so I figure I can just leave her rot and lean on him to take command, but I have no earthly idea where I find this guy, any hints? The quest log hasn't even updated to tell me to do that, and I can't talk to her again either.

He is in commons/slums in the middle of where all the nurses refugees are downstairs.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
He's in the refugee docks

Does New Game+ get you anything special? It doesn't give you a chance to repick your class and I don't wanna do the same class again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Calantus posted:

Ending question: Okay so I know you get the 3 endings where the relays blow up and the galaxy as we know it is basically done. But what about Sheperd and crew? Do you spend 3 games building relationships with crew and other characters only to have it all go to poo poo in every ending? I don't think I can play ME3 if there's not at LEAST Sheperd and crew together at the end. I'd also like to know if you get to hang with alliance people (esp. General Hackett) at the end.
Then you're screwed, sorry. You don't have a choice and must sacrifice yourself like a good space Jesus. It means so much more, don't you know, to have the main character die at the end. It's the only way you can make sure that you're telling an important and mature story. I want to put a smiley in here but they don't get spoiled so assume I said : suicide :

Also, I assume somebody checked out the amount of money Bethesda raked in from Broken Steel.

• Locked thread