Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I looked back the last few pages and didn't see anything on this. Is there a way to get rid of Renegade scars or am I stuck with terminator face? I'd hope they'd let you do it again but I can't find any evidence of it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Welp, Kelly still hasn't appeared and the next mission I have is right before You find the Genophage cure. Any advice or is the game just bugged?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Nckdictator posted:

Welp, Kelly still hasn't appeared and the next mission I have is right before You find the Genophage cure. Any advice or is the game just bugged?

Happened to me too. I assume it is just something not flagging properly.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fenrir posted:

Ending stuff

Make up your own ending is really some of the best advice I've heard about this game.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
No clue, because she showed up for me as soon as I unlocked that Docks area.

I told her to change her identity and she showed up later with a different hairstyle. I assume this means something later on.

Also, I might be alone in this, but I absolutely love fembot EDI. It's such an old-school scifi trope that the scifi nut in me went crazy when I saw her.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's a point of no return for side quests in this like there was in ME2, right? How far away am I from it, in number of main story missions, if the next main mission I have is curing the Genophage and the Krogan homeworld?

E: ^^^ In regards to your second spoiler I was really dreading her, having read the spoilers about it from the leak, but the way that her and Joker's interaction is mostly played for laughs is actually kind of endearing. Although her "what is this hu-man emotion you call...'love?'" poo poo is kind of cliched.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Sankis posted:

I looked back the last few pages and didn't see anything on this. Is there a way to get rid of Renegade scars or am I stuck with terminator face? I'd hope they'd let you do it again but I can't find any evidence of it anywhere.

You can get rid of them, Chakwas will give you a little mission to trade medical supplies with a turian on the Citadel. Once you're done an option pops up on Glyph's terminal to choose between scar healing or 5% health increase.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CVagts posted:

No clue, because she showed up for me as soon as I unlocked that Docks area.

I told her to change her identity and she showed up later with a different hairstyle. I assume this means something later on.

Also, I might be alone in this, but I absolutely love fembot EDI. It's such an old-school scifi trope that the scifi nut in me went crazy when I saw her.

Especially because she had the intelligence to steal the body with the best cleavage.

murder all posters
Aug 19, 2008

by angerbot

TheJoker138 posted:

There's a point of no return for side quests in this like there was in ME2, right? How far away am I from it, in number of main story missions, if the next main mission I have is curing the Genophage and the Krogan homeworld?

E: ^^^ In regards to your second spoiler I was really dreading her, having read the spoilers about it from the leak, but the way that her and Joker's interaction is mostly played for laughs is actually kind of endearing. Although her "what is this hu-man emotion you call...'love?'" poo poo is kind of cliched.

You have a long way to go. The game makes it pretty obvious that there's no turning back after a certain point. As in it straight up tells you.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TheJoker138 posted:

Just do every side quest you receive before doing a priority quest. You shouldn't lose quests if you do it that way.

This won't work for some of the scanning quests though because they are dumb and don't give you the cluster you need to go to until several priority missions later... I'm looking at you Hades Nexus.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 8, 2012

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Sooo I've got a femshap who romanced Liara in ME1, Garrus in ME2, and has now told both of them she's still into them and is using them in missions exclusively in ME3. :toot:

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

CVagts posted:

I don't see a problem either. It's nothing out of line with anything the series has already established.

The endings, now that they're making people angry as executed and not just in theory, are starting to trouble me. Fortunately at this rate I'm not going to be done for some weeks, and maybe they'll have announced the frantic and apologetic ending-revision DLC by then.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

murder all posters posted:

You have a long way to go. The game makes it pretty obvious that there's no turning back after a certain point. As in it straight up tells you.

Lawlicaust posted:

Just do every side quest you receive before doing a priority quest. You shouldn't lose quests if you do it that way.

Thanks guys. I've been doing it Lawlicaust's way anyway, but there are certain points I just want to do something of importance cause maybe it will actually unlock some new poo poo for my crew to say (it won't, they'll still refuse to say anything but "commander" to me for the rest of the loving game I bet. Jesus christ, you would think that halving the amount of squad mates would have made them give the ones that are there twice as much dialogue, but nope, that seems loving halved too. Bioware :argh:)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You can get rid of them, Chakwas will give you a little mission to trade medical supplies with a turian on the Citadel. Once you're done an option pops up on Glyph's terminal to choose between scar healing or 5% health increase.

Do you know when this pops up? I'm currently Doing stuff on Tuchanka after saving Eve?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This has probably been asked by many a goon, but does anyone know where/ when the recon hood becomes available? I just don't feel like the same sneaky bastard without it on.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I romanced Kaidan in ME1, Garrus in ME2, and I'm pretty sure I closed off Kaidan as soon as he asked about Garrus while in recovery. Add "broken heart" to "got his rear end handed to him" on the injury report.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Vanguard Insanity.

See you guys in a year.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

epenthesis posted:

I don't see a problem either. It's nothing out of line with anything the series has already established.

You're right, there's a lot of lovely, stupid sexist stuff in the Mass Effect series already. I'm not sure how that makes it okay, though.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Fenrir posted:

...welp. (Ending) Really? How in the bloody hell did that get past the cutting room floor? You couldn't put an ending that horrible in a 3rd grade play and get away with it, and this was a multimillion dollar production. I mean... Really? What the hell were you thinking, Bioware? :ughh: And right up to the point Shepard got hit by the laser this was one of the best games I'd ever played.

You know what? gently caress that. Here's a fun thought exercise that will be much more satisfying. Make up your own ending and forget whatever that bizarre bullshit was. My Shep is drinking wine with Liara at a beach somewhere and yelling at a little blue kid not to wander off too far. :colbert:

Granted, that's not the best example of said thought exercise but that one sentence I thought up in about 10 seconds is better than the real ending. Jesus Christ.

You know what, I'm gonna have fun with this. Same thing up to the kid, but destroying the synthetics amounts to rendering all Reaper tech inert rather than explosive. Shepard can no longer Charge and such, the mass relays are (temporarily) nonfunctional, the Citadel shuts down, and the geth go back to brains in numbers. Joker manages to pilot the Normandy safely to Earth, and rescues Anderson and Shepard from the Citadel; Shepard and crew attend his funeral, and there's a little epilogue for every race and character: geth and quarians rebuilding Rannoch, Eve holding Wrex's balls in a vise to make sure the krogan don't screw up their second chance, etc. Last scene of Shepard and all the living squadmates having drinks, and Shepard leaving either alone or with LI.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
For sentinels, does anyone know if warp/cryo blast fulfill the same role as far as destroying armor goes? Do they overlap a bit or is cryo a much weaker armor destroyer than warp is but with freezing? I wish they made it more clear with the tooltips.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TheJoker138 posted:

Thanks guys. I've been doing it Lawlicaust's way anyway, but there are certain points I just want to do something of importance cause maybe it will actually unlock some new poo poo for my crew to say (it won't, they'll still refuse to say anything but "commander" to me for the rest of the loving game I bet. Jesus christ, you would think that halving the amount of squad mates would have made them give the ones that are there twice as much dialogue, but nope, that seems loving halved too. Bioware :argh:)

The companion dialogue is inconsistent too. Some conversations are repeatable for a while and others are one-shots.

I think the biggest change is that there are maybe 10 persuades in the entire game. If you do all the side staff, you'll probably go a good 5 hours or more without seeing a persuade or interrupt. I nearly missed a really important interrupt because I had pretty much forgotten they existed in main plot.

Edit: Unless you talk to Cortez. He has one or more interrupts every conversation to console him.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 8, 2012

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I have to say Tuchanka if you go with the uhhh Darth Traya school of thought is some of biowares best writing. A little ham-fisted but the closest they've come to Obsidian level. Its probably the first Mass Effect game decision that really gave me pause.

jcp982
Apr 5, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

You're right, there's a lot of lovely, stupid sexist stuff in the Mass Effect series already. I'm not sure how that makes it okay, though.

I didn't find the EDI thing as stupid or offensive as I thought I would, but the concept certainly would have been a lot better with a more interesting, toned-down model.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Metallic hair and heels. Whyyyyyy

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Tell her to put some clothes on at your cabin's terminal.

At this rate, half the galaxy will have a Shepard in their family, one way or another. I have claimed so many firstborn.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jcp982 posted:

I didn't find the EDI thing as stupid or offensive as I thought I would, but the concept certainly would have been a lot better with a more interesting, toned-down model.

I was thinking about the sexy EDI robot body, and realized, this was made by Cerberus, so TIM probably had it made sexy because he's a creepy individual and probably sees women as disposable pleasures. Like how Bond villains always have sexy henchwomen; it fits their character. It's still sexist, but at least it's consistent with a sexiest characters action.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about the sexy EDI robot body, and realized, this was made by Cerberus, so TIM probably had it made sexy because he's a creepy individual and probably sees women as disposable pleasures. Like how Bond villains always have sexy henchwomen; it fits their character. It's still sexist, but at least it's consistent with a sexiest characters action.

Oh great, now we're going to get a bunch of people in here with the "well the writers MADE that character sexist!" argument that is a nice way of implying that anyone who writes a character that is a bad person must be a bad person themselves.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Has anyone hacked film grain back into the PC game?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nephilm posted:

Metallic hair and heels. Whyyyyyy
Talk to her on the Citadel next time you're taking a break there. It's because she's trying to date Joker.

3 hours played tonight, and only one minor sidequest. Spent the rest of it on the Citadel and doing some weapon upgrades; goddrat this game is big. I like how this time around, Renegade choices would have let me kick in any obstacle in my way, and doing things the Paragon way has made a lot more hassles for me but ends up with more people happy.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
Liara, Garrus and I were wrecking poo poo up and I swear I just heard Liara yell, "This is what you call advanced politics!"

:allears: Liara, you gave me a reason not to let you die a horrible death in the ending.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
So I lost my save files from before. I'm eight hours in or so and none of my decisions from ME2 were not the ones it defaulted to. Plus infil is boring.

Am I a dumbass? Vanguard seems more fun

I'm hoping that there is a reasonable amount of difference.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

TheJoker138 posted:

Uh, it's not remotely like that :confused: Are you actualy playing Mass Effect 3 and not some other game? Take a look and make sure. There's been literally dozens of dialogue pieces with every single squadmate I've bothered to talk to. It's not necessarily fixed camera back and forth all the time, but they'll sometimes say things to each other as you walk by (because they're not just hanging out in the main gun doing calibrations all day) After a certain mission alone there was a unique conversation between Tali and Garrus, and one between Liara and the DLC dude, and after I talked to Liara, Tali and Garrus had a different conversation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheJoker138 posted:

Oh great, now we're going to get a bunch of people in here with the "well the writers MADE that character sexist!" argument that is a nice way of implying that anyone who writes a character that is a bad person must be a bad person themselves.

What is the quote? "believing because a writer writes something, they must endorse it is a stupid assumption"? If a writer creates a sexist, or a racist character, therefor THEY themselves must be a racist or what not. Not every writer is Terry Goodkind.

Anyways, I'd rather encourage EDI to date Joker, he deserves some hot robot lovin'

Nucular Carmul posted:

Uh, it's not remotely like that :confused: Are you actualy playing Mass Effect 3 and not some other game? Take a look and make sure. There's been literally dozens of dialogue pieces with every single squadmate I've bothered to talk to. It's not necessarily fixed camera back and forth all the time, but they'll sometimes say things to each other as you walk by (because they're not just hanging out in the main gun doing calibrations all day) After a certain mission alone there was a unique conversation between Tali and Garrus, and one between Liara and the DLC dude, and after I talked to Liara, Tali and Garrus had a different conversation.

I remember hearing that about Dragon Age 2, but I heard lots of back and forth dialog between party members. Hell, even the second worst character in the game had one of the best lines "Well, he tells stories. And you tell stories. Although none of his begin, "No poo poo, there I was."". Love that one. Lots of things to poo poo on in that game, but that is not one of them. It's not unlike the people saying that under Vader's helming in the BRD Return of the Jedi they changed the head to be of Young Anakin. People still believe that.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 8, 2012

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Fenrir posted:

You know what? gently caress that. Here's a fun thought exercise that will be much more satisfying. Make up your own ending and forget whatever that bizarre bullshit was. My Shep is drinking wine with Liara at a beach somewhere and yelling at a little blue kid not to wander off too far. :colbert:[/spoiler]

Wait, you mean that this isn't a possible ending? I can't imagine why they wouldn't put something like this in.

As far as I can tell, basically every ending goes like this:
"Alright, we defeated the Reapers!"
"Yeah!"
"Nice job!"
"Great work, Shepard!"

"..."
"..."
"..."
"...Anyone want a drink?"

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Would it be possible to start up a thread just for discussing the ending? I feel like there's a lot to be said about the matter, but I'm not sure if it would be frowned up on for there to be a third ME3 thread.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Is anyone else seeing some big paralells between the stuff going on with EDI and Data from Star Trek? It's very interesting and I have to think they must have pulled some inspirations for these conversations from him.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

What is the quote? "believing because a writer writes something, they must endorse it is a stupid assumption"? If a writer creates a sexist, or a racist character, therefor THEY themselves must be a racist or what not. Not every writer is Terry Goodkind.

I don't think anyone's going that far? At least I don't think the entire staff of Bioware are poo poo people. It's less "You sexist motherfuckers" and more "Oh, more of this, again."

I'm not super mad that EDI takes over a sexbot, but I am a little disappointed and kinda wish that she had taken over some giant war droid with a gun for a face instead. That would have been super fun I think! Of course I'm a dude and this kind of stuff doesn't really affect me one way or the other, so whelp.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Godinster posted:

So I lost my save files from before. I'm eight hours in or so and none of my decisions from ME2 were not the ones it defaulted to. Plus infil is boring.

Am I a dumbass? Vanguard seems more fun

I'm hoping that there is a reasonable amount of difference.

Seconded.
I'm playing Infil and I'm only up to the Mars Mission. Level 30 thanks to ME2 saves (yay I guess? Is this a good thing in the long run?) and Stealth seems absolutely useless so far.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

twistedmentat posted:

Lastly, where does Origin keep its exes? I want to see if I can set this up to run through steam. I keep F12ing trying to screenshot all the cool stuff.

program files\origin games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

TheBalor posted:

Would it be possible to start up a thread just for discussing the ending? I feel like there's a lot to be said about the matter, but I'm not sure if it would be frowned up on for there to be a third ME3 thread.

There was one for Saint's Row 3, but that was in their own subforum. So I'm not sure, perhaps PM a mod about it?

• Locked thread