Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nucular Carmul posted:

Is anyone else seeing some big paralells between the stuff going on with EDI and Data from Star Trek? It's very interesting and I have to think they must have pulled some inspirations for these conversations from him.

They pulled inspiration from drat near every thing. That's just sort of how Bioware writes. EDI's writing and general character arc were generally well-done, but the sexualization of her bot, the friendly relationship between her and Joker possibly developing into a sexual one, and everyone responding to at first by shouting "HEY SHEPARD, SEEN HOW SEXY EDI IS SHE SURE IS SEXY SEXIDY SEX SEX" puts a pretty sour note on the whole thing.

quote:

Would it be possible to start up a thread just for discussing the ending? I feel like there's a lot to be said about the matter, but I'm not sure if it would be frowned up on for there to be a third ME3 thread.

I think a thread on the story in general might have material to sustain it, similar to the Human Revolution thread, but yeah, don't know if the mods would want a third ME3 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Nucular Carmul posted:

There was one for Saint's Row 3, but that was in their own subforum. So I'm not sure, perhaps PM a mod about it?

Mmm, no platinum, though. I assume one of them is reading this thread, though maybe I could just make it and then delete it if they disagree.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Just finished the game at 20 hours with pretty much everything done. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

So in 2 of my playthroughs i lost team members (thane and mordin respectively) but when I look at the saves in the ME3 loader, they say 11 crew alive. I'm not upset, because both of those deaths were me not paying attention to who i send back with the crew.

Forgive me, but I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I looked for a few pages back, and didn't see anything, but does war readiness have any game impact outside of the big board in the war room?

Lastly, where does Origin keep its exes? I want to see if I can set this up to run through steam. I keep F12ing trying to screenshot all the cool stuff.

Use the "Add Non-Steam Game" option and browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32" and add the MassEffect3.exe. Just make sure Origin is off when you launch or it won't get the overlay.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rirse/screenshot/522655038156202403

Example picture to prove it works. That picture is the reaction shot of Shepard when ED-I tells the recycle air joke.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
My femshep and Garrus are at that big bar in the sky. We were going to adopt a serial killer for a kid. Goddamnit my ending was depressing. :(

Edit: Also am I the only one who was dissapointed by the rachni? I was expecting more of a zerg rush kekeke level of fleet aid.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 8, 2012

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Kotaru posted:

My femshep and Garrus are at that big bar in the sky. We were going to adopt a serial killer for a kid. Goddamnit my ending was depressing. :(

Yeah if it makes you feel a little better Planet Gilligan is levo-aminoacid so Garrus only lives for a few weeks before dying of starvation and joining Shepard at the bar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rirse posted:

Use the "Add Non-Steam Game" option and browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32" and add the MassEffect3.exe. Just make sure Origin is off when you launch or it won't get the overlay.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rirse/screenshot/522655038156202403

Example picture to prove it works. That picture is the reaction shot of Shepard when ED-I tells the recycle air joke.

Cool thanks! The normal add non-steam game list didn't have me3.exe populate it.

One thing that really sucks about the save game I loaded is that it was my release ME2 one, which was before any DLC other than Zaeeds was available, so Shadow Broker, Arrival and Lost Memory are missing. Because of that, lots of people died :(

Oh god I never noticed the BSG memory board at the Citadel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

Uh, it's not remotely like that :confused: Are you actualy playing Mass Effect 3 and not some other game? Take a look and make sure. There's been literally dozens of dialogue pieces with every single squadmate I've bothered to talk to. It's not necessarily fixed camera back and forth all the time, but they'll sometimes say things to each other as you walk by (because they're not just hanging out in the main gun doing calibrations all day) After a certain mission alone there was a unique conversation between Tali and Garrus, and one between Liara and the DLC dude, and after I talked to Liara, Tali and Garrus had a different conversation.

If it's not interactive dialogue I don't give a poo poo. I don't give a gently caress about the two nameless crew members in the loading screen on the Normandy talking about whatever the gently caress they're talking about. I don't want to go listen to Liara and Garrus talk to each other. I want to talk to them. and I want their to be dialogue wheels. That is why I come to ME. That is why Zaeed and Kasumi were so disappointing in ME2, and now it seems like that's the approach they have taken with most of the dialogue between you and your squad in this game. It doesn't even give the illusion that you are somehow affecting the conversation for many of them.

DrunkCajun
Aug 22, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

If it's not interactive dialogue I don't give a poo poo. I don't give a gently caress about the two nameless crew members in the loading screen on the Normandy talking about whatever the gently caress they're talking about. I don't want to go listen to Liara and Garrus talk to each other. I want to talk to them. and I want their to be dialogue wheels. That is why I come to ME. That is why Zaeed and Kasumi were so disappointing in ME2, and now it seems like that's the approach they have taken with most of the dialogue between you and your squad in this game. It doesn't even give the illusion that you are somehow affecting the conversation for many of them.

I just made basically the same post on another forum. Was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I'm even loving romancing one of them and STILL can't get them to say more than "It's nice to see you Shepard" when I walk up to them and mash the spacebar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Some people were wondering where Kelly is. I found her in the Citadel docking bay, take a right after getting off the elevator, you'll see a staircase that goes down to some shipping containers and cots. She's down there

Spoilered just in case

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you have control issues or something? There are tons of little details, bits of character development, amusing conversations, even some pretty touching and emotional moments. There are a couple of characters that aren't squad members that are incredibly interesting even though you never once tell them to Overload a Centurion or pick up or down when you talk to them.

Besides, the dialogue wheel is one of the biggest tools Bioware uses to give you the illusion of choice, and people have eaten it up for the first two games. I honestly respect them in a way for finally saying, "You know what, you don't get to control every single minutia of detail, but we're gonna do our damnedest to tell an interesting story." And it's working for me. I can't put this game down, I can't stop exploring every inch of the Normandy and the Citadel for all the little references and moments I can find.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can someone help me out, this is towards the end of the game:

I am at the human forward base after blowing up the cannons and hammer lands, I am supposed to meet up with admiral anderson but I cant find a loving way to get to him, all base exits are blocked and the waypoint marker is showing him behind the base buildings. How the hell do I get to him?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Nucular Carmul posted:

Do you have control issues or something? There are tons of little details, bits of character development, amusing conversations, even some pretty touching and emotional moments. There are a couple of characters that aren't squad members that are incredibly interesting even though you never once tell them to Overload a Centurion or pick up or down when you talk to them.

Besides, the dialogue wheel is one of the biggest tools Bioware uses to give you the illusion of choice, and people have eaten it up for the first two games. I honestly respect them in a way for finally saying, "You know what, you don't get to control every single minutia of detail, but we're gonna do our damnedest to tell an interesting story." And it's working for me. I can't put this game down, I can't stop exploring every inch of the Normandy and the Citadel for all the little references and moments I can find.

Yes, I too immensely enjoy those little pauses during 15 minute long conversations where you can tell the dialogue wheel was supposed to appear but Bioware couldn't be bothered to record new lines so they cut it out and decided to choose the paragon/renegade themselves. It's their story to tell, after all.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DrunkCajun posted:

I just made basically the same post on another forum. Was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I'm even loving romancing one of them and STILL can't get them to say more than "It's nice to see you Shepard" when I walk up to them and mash the spacebar.

Its totally better when you have to ask them "Hey, do you want to talk a minute?" and they respond, "No Shepard, I'm tapped out of dialogue until you complete the next plot event but I'll still gladly waste some of your time giving you the exact same intro dialogue and opening dialogue wheel so you can constantly come visit me and ask to speak like some kind of little puppy".

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nephilm posted:

Yes, I too immensely enjoy those little pauses during 15 minute long conversations where you can tell the dialogue wheel was supposed to appear but Bioware couldn't be bothered to record new lines so they cut it out and decided to choose the paragon/renegade themselves. It's their story to tell, after all.

Pretty much this. The only "control issues" I have are the issues I have about control I had in previous games in this series being taken away from me for no good reason. Hell, they couldn't even be bothered to program in camera angles for these conversations. The entire thing reeks of both Bioware being the ones with "control issues" and laziness to me. Also, forgive me for expecting a feature that was core to the series being taken out in many places where it would have previously been. I LIKE the dialogue wheel. The dialogue wheel is one of the things I come to the ME party for.

E: Oh and by the way, the new incidental dialogue is also inconsistent as hell. For example, when I met up with Grunt, Joker had a few lines of dialogue about it. When I met up with Jack however, he apparently had no comment at all.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

1stGear posted:

Its totally better when you have to ask them "Hey, do you want to talk a minute?" and they respond, "No Shepard, I'm tapped out of dialogue until you complete the next plot event but I'll still gladly waste some of your time giving you the exact same intro dialogue and opening dialogue wheel so you can constantly come visit me and ask to speak like some kind of little puppy".

But don't you see? It was so awesome to spin that little wheel around and go "oh okay bye" when they still had nothing new or interesting to say after four missions since the last time you spoke.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I really love it that you can walk in on Garrus or Liara and they are having a little conversation with someone else. And all the little talks all around the citadel and such. Makes the world feel much more alive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

But don't you see? It was so awesome to spin that little wheel around and go "oh okay bye" when they still had nothing new or interesting to say after four missions since the last time you spoke.

He's saying that they do this in this game. Because half the time they do. The other half of the time they just say "Commander" or whatever. I don't know what triggers what either, as I've gone to talk to Liara, gotten the "Commander" line from her, did a side mission, gone back to check that she has nothing new to say, and then gotten the wheel with nothing but "investigate" with no new options, and "goodbye" on it.

E: And if I have to hear that woman on the Citadel talking about how she's going to leave her husband one more loving time I'm going to scream.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The side conversations got me Garrus and James trying to one-up each other's war stories, before finally settling on naming themselves the heroes of the Reaper War. And Garrus and Joker swapping jokes.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

keyframe posted:

Can someone help me out, this is towards the end of the game:

I am at the human forward base after blowing up the cannons and hammer lands, I am supposed to meet up with admiral anderson but I cant find a loving way to get to him, all base exits are blocked and the waypoint marker is showing him behind the base buildings. How the hell do I get to him?
Across the street from the building his waypoint is in there is a debris ramp up to the barricade you can cross over (and also perform a turret section).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

Oh and by the way, the new incidental dialogue is also inconsistent as hell.

Inconsistent dialogue in Mass Effect has been a franchise staple since the first game, but nobody bitched about it back then. If anything, people praised ME1 for having great dialogue...despite the fact that it actually didn't have any really good dialogue at all. Ever. At any point.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Alright, gently caress's up with the Hanar diplomat quest. Map points me to one spot, but there's no interactive terminal there so I can't even really begin the quest. Stuck right after talking to Jondam Bau.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Nucular Carmul posted:

Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about that? We're talking about the dialogue wheel allowing player characterization - it was one of the big selling points of the original, carried on to the sequel, and it performed its function well regardless of its actual plot impact. Now for ME3 Bioware decided to go the Metal Gear Solid route with long cutscene where you have little to no chance of characterization.

So you spend the first two games developing the player character in a way to your liking and then suddenly, on the third game, the personality is chosen for you and you also get PTSD from watching a pure white child die. gently caress you Bioware.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

Alright, gently caress's up with the Hanar diplomat quest. Map points me to one spot, but there's no interactive terminal there so I can't even really begin the quest. Stuck right after talking to Jondam Bau.

Did you go to the Spectre Requisitions office? You have to 'activate' the tracking for those terminals to show up as clickable.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

fivegears4reverse posted:

Did you go to the Spectre Requisitions office? You have to 'activate' the tracking for those terminals to show up as clickable.

I did.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Inconsistent dialogue in Mass Effect has been a franchise staple since the first game, but nobody bitched about it back then. If anything, people praised ME1 for having great dialogue...despite the fact that it actually didn't have any really good dialogue at all. Ever. At any point.

"Big, stupid jellyfish."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think the main place the inconsistent dialogue really bothered me was (Quarian and Asari spoilers)after I sided with the Geth on Rannoch. I'd just lost two friends, wiped out an entire species, and made the former robot bogeyman of the galaxy into a powerful force. Only one conversation with Joker really acknowledged any of that, the rest was just everybody saying "WHOA YOU TOOK OUT A REAPER ON FOOT loving SICK BRO!" Then after Kai Leng beats me on Thessia, everyone is saying "Shepard, you need to get over this, Shepard you're super-stressed, Shepard, don't let it get you down." and Shepard is all freaking out on Joker. Really? Getting beaten by a stupid Japanese cyber-ninja is more devastating than causing an old friend to commit suicide?

VVVV The whole Shepard being seriously traumatized by the kid thing is pretty stupid, you got admit that.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Nephilm posted:

Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about that? We're talking about the dialogue wheel allowing player characterization - it was one of the big selling points of the original, carried on to the sequel, and it performed its function well regardless of its actual plot impact. Now for ME3 Bioware decided to go the Metal Gear Solid route with long cutscene where you have little to no chance of characterization.

So you spend the first two games developing the player character in a way to your liking and then suddenly, on the third game, the personality is chosen for you and you also get PTSD from watching a pure white child die. gently caress you Bioware.
This is a really dumb post. Especially the spoilered part. But hey, gotta be acting like you just followed racism 101, because thats the thing the cool kids do these days.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

I did.

IIRC, the first is in the Citadel Embassies, near the volus Diplomat who offers another sidequest, the second and third terminals are in the Docks, and you needto go back to the second terminal before you return to the embassies to wrap things up.

It is possible the waypoints are just proper hosed. There were some funny bugs I noticed with things being called out even after I clicked on them.

I dunno what else to tell you :(

Coughing Hobo posted:

"Big, stupid jellyfish."

I stand by my claim :c00lbutt:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Charlie Mopps posted:

This is a really dumb post. Especially the spoilered part. But hey, gotta be acting like you just followed racism 101, because thats the thing the cool kids do these days.

I, too, enjoy calling opinions stupid without presenting any sort of argument and adding snide comments about the poster for good measure.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

IIRC, the first is in the Citadel Embassies, near the volus Diplomat who offers another sidequest, the second and third terminals are in the Docks, and you needto go back to the second terminal before you return to the embassies to wrap things up.

It is possible the waypoints are just proper hosed. There were some funny bugs I noticed with things being called out even after I clicked on them.

I dunno what else to tell you :(

Nope. Checked all around that Volus Diplomat, I've even beaten his quest in the meantime. Whelp. Quest's hosed, I guess.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Tuchanka is loving awe-inspiring. Every mission has felt pretty epic in scope thusfar, but the game just keeps stepping things up and I'm loving it. I can't imagine what it would be like without Wrex or Mordin, or any of the main characters at all really. They're what make a lot of the missions truly memorable, I really want to see what an imported "Everyone dies but Shepard" run plays like.

vvv got it, thanks!

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 8, 2012

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Got sent two of the Best Buy Preorder codes for 360

W3YXQ-6V4CC-GTVVG-TRKD7-2D66Z

For whoever

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Holy Calamity! posted:

Tuchanka is loving awe-inspiring. Every mission has felt pretty epic in scope thusfar, but the game just keeps stepping things up and I'm loving it. I can't imagine what it would be like without Wrex or Mordin, or any of the main characters at all really. They're what make a lot of the missions truly memorable, I really want to see what an imported "Everyone dies but Shepard" plays like.

The same but a minor character/unknown guy plays the part of the relevant character. It's really less interesting; you shouldn't bother. An analogy would be how empty ME2 feels if you got all the minor characters killed in #1 and skipped on sidequests, only ramped up further.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

BiohazrD posted:

Got sent two of the Best Buy Preorder codes for 360

W3YXQ-6V4CC-GTVVG-TRKD7-2D66Z

For whoever

Someone already used it. :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is the most insufferable ending I've ever had to witness. Please, you are not auteurs, most of you literally got writing jobs at Bioware because of your loving fanfic.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Nephilm posted:

The same but a minor character/unknown guy plays the part of the relevant character. It's really less interesting; you shouldn't bother. An analogy would be how empty ME2 feels if you got all the minor characters killed in #1 and skipped on sidequests, only ramped up further.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm just morbidly curious to see how much worse all the dialogue is and such, because it's so loving awesome playing with as much of the main cast as possible. I'm sure someone will do a LP eventually.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
EDIT: Proving once again that the best way to get un-stuck in a game is to ask how to get unstuck, because the solution presents itself and you feel like an idiot.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 8, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
More stream time. Sidequestin'

https://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

MisterBibs posted:

I'm stuck at a point in what I believe to be the plot-progressing mission on the Krogan homeworld:

I'm in an open-air area with four or five krogan statues, having just watched Wrex being chased around by the Big Fuckoff God Of Thresher Maws. In front of me, according to the V key, is Dunes, which I have to get to. However, I have no idea how to get there. There's no walls to amble over, etc..

You should be able to just run on down towards the desert (dune) area. It's an open downward slope, looks pretty beaten up but there's no invisible wall.

• Locked thread