Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The only person cooler than Primarch Victus is Lieutenant Victus.

Victus and Victus. Spin-off sitcom. Come on, Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, that's definitely bullshit. It's mathematically impossible, I gathered every asset and made virtually every correct decision and was still short of the absolute best ending even with 71% readiness.

Well according to the guys who actually made the thing there's more than enough assets in the game to get the best ending. Chances are you missed something or made a bad decision somewhere.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...-9665384-1.html

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The Aberrant posted:

Well according to the guys who actually made the thing there's more than enough assets in the game to get the best ending. Chances are you missed something or made a bad decision somewhere.
Well, I hope that someone finds a way to hack those numbers, because it will suck if you want to play this game 3 years from now or something and you have to do every single side mission to get the best ending because there is nobody playing multiplayer.

Speaking of which, is there a point of no return for when those numbers are taken into account in the game? I tend to take forever to finish games so I'ld rather wait until the last possible moment before playing a lot of multiplayer sessions to improve that thing.

Also, does the special armor (Blood Dragon, Collector's, etc.) still have that problem where the helmet stays on no matter what? I won't bother buying them back if that's the case.

I do like how you don't need to carry weapons you never use anymore.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

The Aberrant posted:

Spoilered just in case people don't want to know exact numbers, but no plot info:
My total military strength was just over 7,000, you need 10,000 to get the best ending. No way did I miss 3,000 points worth of war assets, having done 100% runs of all three games and almost every correct decision. Unless someone can come up with a savegame to prove me wrong I'm sticking with bullshit.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

The Aberrant posted:

I think they are lying to avoid the fallout from a bad design decision. I gathered every asset possible and still would need twice what I have to get the best ending. There are a few decisions I made that were not ideal, but from what I've seen about the impact of various decisions after reloading a few saves, there is no way it would get that high.

Maybe...maybe if you made absolutely every decision perfectly from the very start of ME1 I could buy that maybe you would reach 10k exactly, but I really think they're just lying to cover their asses after the negative backlash to the mandatory multiplayer mechanic.

Kuddles; the helmet stays on.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gadzuko posted:

Spoilered just in case people don't want to know exact numbers, but no plot info:
My total military strength was just over 7,000, you need 10,000 to get the best ending. No way did I miss 3,000 points worth of war assets, having done 100% runs of all three games and almost every correct decision. Unless someone can come up with a savegame to prove me wrong I'm sticking with bullshit.

Who told you that you need 10k + Military Strength? The guide's ending chart (helpfully provided by Bioware) has the various endings max out at 5000. Meaning either you were lied to about this extra special best ending, or I was lied to about the guide I worked on.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
Is it possible the NG+ ending is Shepard surviving Destroy? I read somewhere that your war assets transfer to NG+ (don't know if that is true), maybe it's simply impossible to get enough with one playthrough (without playing MP).

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

fivegears4reverse posted:

Who told you that you need 10k + Military Strength? The guide's ending chart (helpfully provided by Bioware) has the various endings max out at 5000. Meaning either you were lied to about this extra special best ending, or I was lied to about the guide I worked on.

Is the guide referring to total military strength, or effective military strength? If it's referring to effective (which is 50% of your total if you play no multiplayer), then you need 10k. I assumed it meant effective, but I'm re-running the final mission to see if I can (ending spoilers)destroy the Reapers and survive.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

fivegears4reverse posted:

If you don't play Multiplayer you need 10k+ Military Strength, since 50% Galactic Readiness cuts your effective Strength in half.

e:f;b

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

kuddles posted:

Well, I hope that someone finds a way to hack those numbers, because it will suck if you want to play this game 3 years from now or something and you have to do every single side mission to get the best ending because there is nobody playing multiplayer.

They've also said the iOS game and some Facebook game'll also raise readiness like multiplayer does, but so far the only Facebook thing I've found is that 'nag everyone you know to play the demo' one and I'm not buying an iPad/iPhone or the like just for a Mass Effect sidegame so I'm essentially stuck with multiplayer which while it's okay enough, I just really have to be in the mood to play it and I don't like that there's a strong possibility that I'll have to just to get an ending I want for the game. Since I also like to dig out old as gently caress games and replay, I'll still end up eventually hosed say 5+ or so years down the road and likely no servers still around to even try a solo multiplayer thing.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cell posted:

If you don't play Multiplayer you need 10k+ Military Strength, since 50% Galactic Readiness cuts your effective Strength in half.

e:f;b

DERRRRRRRP, this is why posting while tired is a bad idea, reading comprehension goes out the window :sigh:

I thought they were saying there was a special ending for a total effective military strength of 10000

I'm pretty certain you can reach 5k without MP for imported Sheps, but again, it's another one of those things we didn't get to test for ourselves, as we were limited to non-import playthroughs, and they have more limited resources by comparison. I'm going to find out for myself soon enough, I suppose.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just got back from the Grunt mission. Hell. loving. Yes. Also people kept saying that Moridin dies on the elevator. He is alive in my playthrough and is using Wrex and Eve's DNA. Not a single ex-team member has died yet.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Nephilm posted:

Almost everyone is dead and replaced with a stuntman with half the dialogue. You get half as many emails, too.

Considering ME3 is a game that carries itself only by building on the previous plot and characters, yes, you want to import good choices.

So starting a fresh ME3 game means I will miss out on meeting and possibly recruiting past crew members? Not sure what you mean by stuntmen but I assume you mean certain key characters just have stand-in new NPCs in their place if they died due to you not importing a timeline where they lived? I'm really torn, my non-imported save is up to 8 hours and I'm really digging the story but I think I've run into a few places where there was supposed to be old companions and there were new NPCs in place.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm wondering if Kaiden getting face planted by the Husk woman on Mars was my fault because I didn't shoot her enough or not, because I would like to get him back ASAP :ohdear:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

M_Sinistrari posted:

They've also said the iOS game and some Facebook game'll also raise readiness like multiplayer does, but so far the only Facebook thing I've found is that 'nag everyone you know to play the demo' one and I'm not buying an iPad/iPhone or the like just for a Mass Effect sidegame so I'm essentially stuck with multiplayer which while it's okay enough, I just really have to be in the mood to play it and I don't like that there's a strong possibility that I'll have to just to get an ending I want for the game. Since I also like to dig out old as gently caress games and replay, I'll still end up eventually hosed say 5+ or so years down the road and likely no servers still around to even try a solo multiplayer thing.

As far as I know your readiness carries across characters and it takes maybe 10-15 winning games ti get to 100%. It's also really really fun, and quite easy if your aspiration is just to slum readiness on Bronze.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm wondering if Kaiden getting face planted by the Husk woman on Mars was my fault because I didn't shoot her enough or not, because I would like to get him back ASAP :ohdear:

It's part of the plot. Just keep playing.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Dan Didio posted:

It's part of the plot. Just keep playing.

Oh thank god, I was worried I already hosed up a decision in the game.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Kelly stuff

Thanks for the help, but Kelly is just not showing up for me. I'm a few missions past she;s supposed to turn up and I still can't find her on the map. I even loaded up my old saves to check, but she's not showing up there either.

My poor fishes :(

mania fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 8, 2012

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

floor is lava posted:

Just got back from the Grunt mission. Hell. loving. Yes. Also people kept saying that Moridin dies on the elevator. He is alive in my playthrough and is using Wrex and Eve's DNA. Not a single ex-team member has died yet.

I think they might be talking about a different elevator.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Wingless posted:

I think they are lying to avoid the fallout from a bad design decision. I gathered every asset possible and still would need twice what I have to get the best ending. There are a few decisions I made that were not ideal, but from what I've seen about the impact of various decisions after reloading a few saves, there is no way it would get that high.

Maybe...maybe if you made absolutely every decision perfectly from the very start of ME1 I could buy that maybe you would reach 10k exactly, but I really think they're just lying to cover their asses after the negative backlash to the mandatory multiplayer mechanic.

Kuddles; the helmet stays on.

And that's it right there. Bioware has said that there's a very specific path that leads towards the best ending for paragon/renegade characters, (involving choices in all three games) and not making those ideal choices locks you out unless you play MP.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I haven't read anything here so sorry if this is a discussed issue, but what is going on with the horribly muffled audio? I can't even hear Anderson during the tutorial. On the 360.

E: It went okay as I got to the combat tutorial.

Houdini fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 8, 2012

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ok, the ending guide is either incorrect or is talking about total strength and not effective strength. I just re-ran the ending with 7k total strength and 70% readiness for 4900 effective strength. Ending spoilers: I didn't save Anderson (no idea how to do this, I passed all paragon checks with TIM), I chose to destroy the Reapers and Shepard survived. According to the guide I needed 5k strength in order to do that, so maybe it only requires 2500 effective?

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Vindicator posted:

Urgh, I've just been getting shunted back and forward between amazon.com and amazon.co.uk reps over my preorder bonus, and I'm at the point where I say fuckit. Any UK goons want a free copy of this game? Be the first to PM me with a valid UK shipping address and I'll order you one. I'm keeping the preorder bonus, just to be clear.

Quoting myself for a new page. If you don't have PMs just email me at deadeye001 {at} gmail.com. UK goons only!

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
What the hell is with the council? Since it's not a real spoiler thing: Why the hell is Udina still the human counselor? I made Anderson the counselor in ME1, so why is Udina the one on the council now?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Do we know how to change the FOV on PC yet?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

The Aberrant posted:

And that's it right there. Bioware has said that there's a very specific path that leads towards the best ending for paragon/renegade characters, (involving choices in all three games) and not making those ideal choices locks you out unless you play MP.

Right...so for the 99.9% of us that are not psychic, multiplayer is mandatory for the best ending.

Gadzuko posted:

Ok, the ending guide is either incorrect or is talking about total strength and not effective strength. I just re-ran the ending with 7k total strength and 70% readiness for 4900 effective strength. Ending spoilers: I didn't save Anderson (no idea how to do this, I passed all paragon checks with TIM), I chose to destroy the Reapers and Shepard survived. According to the guide I needed 5k strength in order to do that, so maybe it only requires 2500 effective?

Nope, my Shepard died with 2700. Well, he seemed to die when I did the seize control option, maybe he'd survive if I did the destroy option. I wasn't able to do the final check with TIM though, if that matters. What happens when you pass the last one?.

Archer2338 posted:

What the hell is with the council? Since it's not a real spoiler thing: Why the hell is Udina still the human counselor? I made Anderson the counselor in ME1, so why is Udina the one on the council now?

This confused the crap out of me for a while. The codex says that Anderson quit to go back to the military and Udina was chosen to replace him.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Archer2338 posted:

I always love answering this one, but Anderson doesn't like being on the Council, so he quits in one of the books so that he can go back to being in the military and fighting the good fight. Naturally this is never brought up in the game proper and you have to read the terrible books to know a fundamental story point of one of the major characters in the trilogy.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Wingless posted:

Nope, my Shepard died with 2700. Well, he seemed to die when I did the seize control option, maybe he'd survive if I did the destroy option. I wasn't able to do the final check with TIM though, if that matters. What happens when you pass the last one?.

Ending spoilers:Supposedly the only way for Shepard to live is to choose the "destroy" option, I haven't done the "control" one yet but he didn't survive when I did synthesis. If you succeed the last check with TIM he kills himself.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tuchanka Main mission spoilers:

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not. Had to be me...

...someone else might have got it wrong." :smug:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Crappy Jack posted:

I always love answering this one, but Anderson doesn't like being on the Council, so he quits in one of the books so that he can go back to being in the military and fighting the good fight. Naturally this is never brought up in the game proper and you have to read the terrible books to know a fundamental story point of one of the major characters in the trilogy.
Except that it's heavily hinted to in ME2. Anderson tells you that he hates his job and the council seems to respect Udina more than him. He also wishes that he could go with you instead of being stuck in politics. It's also in the codex of ME3.

It wasn't handled the best way possible but anyone that's genuinely surprised hasn't been paying attention.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

For some reason I didn't unlock the AT-12 raider, the Valkyrie, or the Argus. I got all the N7 guns except for the assault rifle. I pre-ordered the N7 digital deluxe edition on Origin, any advice?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Archer2338 posted:

Read the codex.

nuncle jimbo posted:

Do we know how to change the FOV on PC yet?
http://widescreengamingforum.com/comment/242894

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ouhei posted:

Except that it's heavily hinted to in ME2. Anderson tells you that he hates his job and the council seems to respect Udina more than him. He also wishes that he could go with you instead of being stuck in politics. It's also in the codex of ME3.

It wasn't handled the best way possible but anyone that's genuinely surprised hasn't been paying attention.

It's a blatant attempt at shameless cross-promotion and all they had to do was have Anderson have one line where he goes "Boy, sure am glad I quit the Council to get back in the military" and there would be absolutely no issue with it.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
"Would have liked to run tests on the seashells." :gbsmith:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

SyRauk posted:

"Would have liked to run tests on the seashells." :gbsmith:
It helps if you give some indication of what the spoiler is about.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
This is probably a really obvious question, but I didn't want to skim over any of the spoiler bars, drat thread is looking like a government document.

The question is (Involving characters):Does Tali join your squad again? I assume so, but if she does, then I'm recreating my ME1 squad of Tali and Liara.

I've only played up toKaiden being sent to the hospital. Gonna play the hell out of this when I get home tonight, no work tomorrow! :dance:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Crappy Jack posted:

It's a blatant attempt at shameless cross-promotion and all they had to do was have Anderson have one line where he goes "Boy, sure am glad I quit the Council to get back in the military" and there would be absolutely no issue with it.
I would hardly call it a blatant attempt at shameless cross-promotion when you literally wouldn't know this information was covered in the novel unless you had read it or gone to a wiki.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Smelly posted:

The question is (Involving characters):Does Tali join your squad again? I assume so, but if she does, then I'm recreating my ME1 squad of Tali and Liara.

You meet up with every party member again.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Smelly posted:

This is probably a really obvious question, but I didn't want to skim over any of the spoiler bars, drat thread is looking like a government document.

The question is (Involving characters): Does Tali join your squad again? I assume so, but if she does, then I'm recreating my ME1 squad of Tali and Liara.

I've only played up toKaiden being sent to the hospital. Gonna play the hell out of this when I get home tonight, no work tomorrow! :dance:

Regarding Tali: Yes, but by then it's pretty late into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Charlie Mopps posted:

It helps if you give some indication of what the spoiler is about.
You'll... you'll understand in due time, friend.

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."

• Locked thread