Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

This thing needs some serious TLC. Those inlay stickers are going ASAP. There's copper oxidation at the base of the bridge. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Finally got around to getting new gear since the ex wife no longer strangles my bank account.

Original plan was to get a Fender Red October 410.

But then a buddy asked me if I'd like to buy his Line 6 and Peavey VK 212 for 400$ and I told him sure.

The VK is practically new and the Line 6 was the amp he used in our previous band a few years back. I knew it was a road horse and built well and everything save the digital reverb sounds great.

Traded a broke rear end ampeg 410 for the Ashdown which sounds great and I won't break my back carrying it around. (or my foot, as I have now remembered the time I dropped that same 410 on my foot and wow the pain!)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

This thing needs some serious TLC. Those inlay stickers are going ASAP. There's copper oxidation at the base of the bridge. :gonk:

It'll definitely be worth it. I have the same guitar with a Liquifire / Crunch Lab setup, and it's my favorite guitar ever.

You can get replacement bridges incredibly cheap too: http://www.guitarpartssite.com/Ibanez-2GR1CB43K-p/2gr1cb43k.htm

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I saw those the other day - figured I'd grab one, but clean this one anyway, since they need to be special ordered. I'm glad it's cheap to get a replacement though!
No clue what I'm going to do about pickups - if this replaces my other guitar in terms of which is my primary, I'll throw my Nailbombs in it.
Any tips on cleaning the bridge would be appreciated.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Scarf posted:

Hah, haven't seen one of those in a while. My second guitar ever was actually an epiphone strat copy. S/S/S config too, even earlier than that one due to the headstock I believe.

I had the same guitar but white with a black pickguard. Traded it for a Dean Z.

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
I needed an 88-key controller with decent action so I ended up with this thing. I could pretty easily see myself using some of the sounds it makes, too!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

maximadigital posted:

As a Kurzweil owner and lover, I laughed hard at the second line because it's been a leading cause to me selling off equipment and not getting new synthesizers or romplers, so congratulations on your purchase. Hope you have a good sound system to let it pleasure your ears and emotions through, and do get the software programmer if you want to get into VAST without having to do CERN level studies.

(Sticking with my 2004 PC1X until the K3000 arrives, as long as it comes with new quality orchestral roms)

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Just to break the "look my new guitar" monotony a bit, here's my new instument, a copy of the 18th century Bertrand 700mm bass viol:

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Subparr posted:

My new Meinl 20" Byzance Traditional Medium Crash. I love it so much. My next purchase is a 20" MB20 Medium-Heavy Crash! :)

Oh man, I love it. I was at an open mic night down at a local bar and they had an old Slingerland 3 piece with Meinl hats, ride and a 20" Byzance Medium. They had a really lovely, warm and full sound. I was surprised because I'd never had a chance to hit Meinl's. They're obviously one of the more obscure brands and my local go-to drum shop doesn't stock them. Excellent stuff for the price it seems!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Just got this in the mail:

It's an Agile Pendulum Pro 82527. Multi scale (25"-27"), maple+walnut neck with mahogany wings, rosewood? fretboard, EMG 45dc pickup.

I love it! Wanted a fanned fret for a while, found a good deal on a used one.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

The Gasmask posted:

Just got this in the mail:

It's an Agile Pendulum Pro 82527. Multi scale (25"-27"), maple+walnut neck with mahogany wings, rosewood? fretboard, EMG 45dc pickup.

I love it! Wanted a fanned fret for a while, found a good deal on a used one.

Nice!
I gotta ask, did you buy it from Ancient Astronaught?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Achtane posted:

Nice!
I gotta ask, did you buy it from Ancient Astronaught?

I'm not sure who that is; I got this from a member of the Sevenstring.org forums (couldn't find a user named that on there).

OhYeah: That's crazy! I've never seen a semi-fretted 7-string instrument like that.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

The Gasmask posted:

OhYeah: That's crazy! I've never seen a semi-fretted 7-string instrument like that.

Out of all the earlier, non-classical instruments the bass viol is the most played. Of course you need to be a fan of renaissance and baroque music to know about it, but there are a surprising number of dedicated players, both amateur and professional, around the world.

Compared to cello it is less melodramatic, a bit weaker sounding but at the same time a lot more focused. The tone has a certain sizzling, almost electric quality to it. And it's actually tuned in fourths with a third in the middle, like a quitar. Most of virtuouso baroque music for the viol was filled with chords that you simply cannot play on the cello due to the lack of strings and the tuning.

Here's how it sounds.

EDIT: This is perhaps the best example of what you can do with a viol that you couldn't even dream of doing on a cello: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09J-ylTiS1U&feature=related

OhYeah fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 10, 2012

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Oh hey, things with bows!

I bought one of these: Fender FV-3 Electric Violin

(neither picture mine)

I never played anything not fretted or with a bow before. What have I got myself into...

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just inherited a Leslie :2bong:

Time to do some work so it can have a normal input and control system!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
You might want to look into getting a Combo Preamp. Saves you the trouble of hacking apart the leslie and if you get tired of it (lol) down the road it'll be worth more as a pair.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
This:

Plus a hi hat pedal controller and a kick pad, plus this:

Equals my drum tracks sound a hell of a lot better.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

mofolotopo posted:

How sensitive are the finger pads? Fingersnapping or tapping?

Just adding a drum pad for a midi controller did a lot of good for getting drums recorded in my tiny studio, turns out I've got a great sense of rhythm and timing too. So much more fun than manual work (and I do sequencing on an MPC), and getting natural velocity and timing recorded adds a lot of feel.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

MrLonghair posted:

Just adding a drum pad for a midi controller did a lot of good for getting drums recorded in my tiny studio, turns out I've got a great sense of rhythm and timing too. So much more fun than manual work (and I do sequencing on an MPC), and getting natural velocity and timing recorded adds a lot of feel.

Extremely sensitive, you can just barely tap it with fingers and get a great response. This one is used, and it does seem like the very top finger pads are less sensitive than they should be. I've got a warranty, though, so I'm going to get those fixed soon.

When I first got it I didn't have the pedals, and I had a hard time playing as well as I play when I'm on real drums. After I got the pedals, though, it's just amazingly easy to get great sounding drum tracks.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Congrats on the BFD! BFD2 is awesome, it's got the best live sound out of all the drum VSTi's. The DW kick is stunning too, pretty much the perfect hard rock blast to the chest.

I'm becoming a major guitar whore, and I've added a third guitar in just about as many weeks:

A PRS Mushok SE baritone!

This one was a trade, gave the guy my white Agile Septor Elite 8 string for it. I have this tuned F♯-C♯-F♯-B-D♯-G♯ for mega-low baritone (or for unison with my 8 tuned standard :banjo:). I'm pretty happy with it, I was expecting the same tuning as my other baritone but the longer scale (27.7") let's me go lower with the same strings. Pickups are once again fizzy and not-ideal, but this time I planned ahead:

I had the guy toss these in with the trade too: two Wilkinson High Output humbuckers and a Dimarzio D-Sonic. The D-Sonic is going in the PRS right away and the Wilkinsons will end up in something.

Coming soon: My Rico Jr. and Oakland Axe Factory customs!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Are you in that run Tom did at a discount?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Yep :) It's pretty much right on schedule for a 4 month lead time.

I know you mentioned wanting a 6 from him: Tom is working on a special line of 6 string guitars. I don't want to say too much until it's official, but it should give him a bit more exposure and the prices will likely be very reasonable. He's also bringing in some new ideas for the customs, options that will make you go "wow!"

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Just bought an Orange 4x12 cab off a friend. Coming soon: Notices from my neighbours.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

The Gasmask posted:

Congrats on the BFD! BFD2 is awesome, it's got the best live sound out of all the drum VSTi's. The DW kick is stunning too, pretty much the perfect hard rock blast to the chest.

Yeah, I've been loving the hell out of it. It's on sale right now for $149, which is a pretty awesome deal. I really want the B.O.M.B. expansion, but it's a little steep for me at the moment. I've got the Jazz Maple expansion and it sounds frickin' fabulous.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
What's this shiny thing?

This is pretty shiny too, but those knobs don't look right.

These aren't knobs at all.

Hmmm.

Oh.

Ah ha.

Twinkle, twinkle Fender Jaguar. What a wonder that you are.

Since I work 1500 kms from where I live, I was looking for a good guitar to play when chilling out in my hotel room. I've never actually owned a brand new guitar before and I'd had my eye on the MIJ Jaguar Special for a while... I intended to get something cheaper for a hotel guitar, but I really couldn't pass this up.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

RetardedRobots posted:

What's this shiny thing?

This is pretty shiny too, but those knobs don't look right.

These aren't knobs at all.

Hmmm.

Oh.

Ah ha.

Twinkle, twinkle Fender Jaguar. What a wonder that you are.

Since I work 1500 kms from where I live, I was looking for a good guitar to play when chilling out in my hotel room. I've never actually owned a brand new guitar before and I'd had my eye on the MIJ Jaguar Special for a while... I intended to get something cheaper for a hotel guitar, but I really couldn't pass this up.

I have one of these. Of my eight guitars this one is definitely my favorite and gets the most recording time.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
What happened to the Epiphone Valve Jrs? Did they discontinue them? I just started getting into my Valve Jr combo again, and I wanted to snag one of those cool 1x12 extension cabs for it, only to find that they don't have them available anywhere anymore :(

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I have one of those Jaguars also. I love the tone, but it's a pretty heavy guitar for me. Physically heavy.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I like the weight personally. I came into guitar from playing bass so I welcome the heft.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

JohnnySmitch posted:

What happened to the Epiphone Valve Jrs? Did they discontinue them? I just started getting into my Valve Jr combo again, and I wanted to snag one of those cool 1x12 extension cabs for it, only to find that they don't have them available anywhere anymore :(

All the other manufacturers saw the success they were having with them and jumped on the small low power tube amp bandwagon and Epiphone gave up I guess.

There's these
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca12s-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet
but it won't match the Valve Jr color scheme.
If you know anyone with any sort of woodworking skillz you could build your own cab and put whatever speaker you want in it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Don't have any pictures yet but over the weekend I picked up a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom, it owns and is beautiful and was cheap!

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Guitar wasn't really clicking for me so I've changed to drums (I think being a Rush fan taints my opinions somewhat)

I've not spent much at first, they should arrive tomorrow:

I think the book was mentioned here before, but the amazon reviews sealed it.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
That's a great book! Welcome to the potentially most expensive instrument in existence. ;)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

All the other manufacturers saw the success they were having with them and jumped on the small low power tube amp bandwagon and Epiphone gave up I guess.

There's these
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca12s-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet
but it won't match the Valve Jr color scheme.
If you know anyone with any sort of woodworking skillz you could build your own cab and put whatever speaker you want in it.

Better yet, you can buy one of these which, other than the color, are the same construction/speaker, heck, probably come out of the same factory as the Epiphone model did.

I've never taken one apart before, but refurbishing the front with the correct colors wouldn't be terribly difficult. The original epi 1x12 cabs do come up on craigslist from time to time, though.

edit: that has a closed back, sorry

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 19, 2012

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Actually picked this up a few weeks back on the cheap because it needed a few simple repairs. Finally finished it yesterday when the last part came in.

Danelectro U2 first reissue.

Yes it's missing the first string because it's a bastard to string up and I only had one spare set for it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Specter posted:

Actually picked this up a few weeks back on the cheap because it needed a few simple repairs. Finally finished it yesterday when the last part came in.

Danelectro U2 first reissue.

Yes it's missing the first string because it's a bastard to string up and I only had one spare set for it.

It looks like its made of frosting and I like it. Wanna eat that guitar!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Well ok..

Time to eat ramen for a year. :negative:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

they are amazingly sensitive, you can do like mutes and stuff with it with bongos.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I got myself a birthday gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I got myself a birthday gift.

Wow. Best birthday ever.

To contribute: Malekko Ekko 616 Lofi. Made only for Proguitarshop here in PDX. Saw it in the scratch and dent marked down and snatched it up. Ringmod tones come off the delay as it gets longer. Haven't had time to play around too much with it, but it's a sweet lil box.