Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dodgeball posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but has there ever been a strip featuring young Beef and Showbiz? I'd have thought we would have seen them as kids at some point.

I believe there was at least one that was part of some subscribers-only deal he had going pre-assetbar, in which Beef and Showbiz each get inappropriate presents (Showbiz gets a computer) and Beef buys Showbiz's computer then writes a code in BASIC (or some other computer code) to get it to have a pleasant conversation with him :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Jerusalem posted:

I believe there was at least one that was part of some subscribers-only deal he had going pre-assetbar, in which Beef and Showbiz each get inappropriate presents (Showbiz gets a computer) and Beef buys Showbiz's computer then writes a code in BASIC (or some other computer code) to get it to have a pleasant conversation with him :unsmith:

What's the deal with the sub-service these days? If I want to read the subscription archive, I'm pretty much hosed, right?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but has there ever been a strip featuring young Beef and Showbiz? I'd have thought we would have seen them as kids at some point.

In the regular archive Beef has talked about his childhood with Showbiz a fair few times, but we've never actually seen it depicted to my remembrance.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
There was one where baby Beef was in a garbage bag screaming with the pull-tie tight around his neck...

Edit: VV Okay, so my memory ain't perfect. VV

basx fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 26, 2012

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

basx posted:

There was one where baby Beef was in a garbage bag screaming with the pull-tie tight around his neck...

Do you mean the Wonder bread bag onesie?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04192005

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Dodgeball posted:

Wow, Coke AND Pepsi!
And a little angry plum!
picture that if you would

dang man i uh got mad reading comprehension problems basically

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 27, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

All those are just Beef! No Showbiz.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Maybe he's busy somewhere else selling his car and his speaker gear to cover his debts?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

Seriously though, can anybody post a link to that comic where beef trades something to Showbiz for a computer when they're younger? I think it was a hat?

I know it existed, but I can't find it in the archives for the life of me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe he's busy somewhere else selling his car and his speaker gear to cover his debts?

Thought the joke with this is that he doesn't even own a car?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Seldom Posts posted:

Seriously though, can anybody post a link to that comic where beef trades something to Showbiz for a computer when they're younger? I think it was a hat?

I know it existed, but I can't find it in the archives for the life of me.

Like Jerusalem said, it was in the old Serializer.net archive ( Maybe still is?) and thus it "shouldn't" be posted. (Jerusalem did you ever do a let's play for GTAIV)

I'd post it 'ironically' but I have all of the serializer stuff in an old IDE HDD I just don't want to buy an enclosure for. Maybe it is time, unless some other goon posts it.

EDIT: changed some punctuation to clarify

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 27, 2012

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Thought the joke with this is that he doesn't even own a car?

Car? CAR?! You don't get it, do you?!

But anyway, yeah, I specifically meant featuring both young Showbiz and Beef.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zefiel posted:

Like Jerusalem said, it was in the old Serializer.net archive ( Maybe still is?) and thus it ~shouldn't~ be posted. (Jerusalem did you ever do a let's play for GTAIV)

Yeah, posting premium content would be wrong. Why, that'd be like stealing.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, posting premium content would be wrong. Why, that'd be like stealing.

Onstad: "Where did you learn to do this, son!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zefiel posted:

(Jerusalem did you ever do a let's play for GTAIV)

Nope, I enjoyed the game but it didn't grab me like San Andreas did.

I re-read the Wedding Arc today and was kind of shocked at just how long ago it happened (2008). I absolutely love the way the characters pick up on the fact their relatives are in town by reading the police blotter. Particularly this one about going home to focus on grades "immediately"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My god, this is a rich vein I had somehow managed to overlook. Amazing!

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zefiel posted:

Like Jerusalem said, it was in the old Serializer.net archive ( Maybe still is?) and thus it "shouldn't" be posted. (Jerusalem did you ever do a let's play for GTAIV)

I'd post it 'ironically' but I have all of the serializer stuff in an old IDE HDD I just don't want to buy an enclosure for. Maybe it is time, unless some other goon posts it.

EDIT: changed some punctuation to clarify

ah, missed that, ok.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I re-read the Wedding Arc today and was kind of shocked at just how long ago it happened (2008). I absolutely love the way the characters pick up on the fact their relatives are in town by reading the police blotter. Particularly this one about going home to focus on grades "immediately"

Having lived here since 2011, I have particularly learned to appreciate the statement "Oh, police blotter. You make every newspaper a newspaper from Florida." :v:

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Grandpa Pap posted:

Having lived here since 2011, I have particularly learned to appreciate the statement "Oh, police blotter. You make every newspaper a newspaper from Florida." :v:

I don't really understand the context of the joke, does Florida have a really high crime-rate or something? :confused:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Azruelli posted:

I don't really understand the context of the joke, does Florida have a really high crime-rate or something? :confused:

It's an internet thing, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of ridiculous crime or stupid criminal stories out of Florida. Fark has a "Florida" tag for example.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catfish Noodlin posted:

It's an internet thing, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of ridiculous crime or stupid criminal stories out of Florida. Fark has a "Florida" tag for example.

Let's not forget this tired old Internet favorite.

My favorite part of the police blotter is how wildly the content varied for each paper.

The highlights of the blotter in the fancy suburb where my cousins lived was, "a resident called to report that his neighbor's trash cans were rolling around in the street."

Whereas my city had fun ones like, "school officials request police assistant after a student suspected of carrying drugs put something down his pants while in the prinicpal's office," police responded to an incident involving two students, a ping pong paddle, and a trip to the hospital, or the kid next door shooting my three-year-old (at the time) brother in the face with a marshmallow fired from a wrist rocket.

Yes, it was only a marshmallow, but WTF?

Also, we only had three ping pong paddles in gym class for the rest of the year.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Is it wrong that I wish Onstad would entirely give up on Ray, Roast Beef and the rest and write a buddy-cop-without-being-cops adventure starring Ramses Luther Smuckles and Lorwerth Sanders?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I'd say Pat and Rod would be a better pair for that. They already have their police hats!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

My favorite part of the police blotter is how wildly the content varied for each paper.

My favorite police blotter entry of all time, from our rural newspaper, was "Officers responded to reports of a cat walking down Elm Street with a dog food can on its head. Cat was gone by the time officers arrived."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

This pretty much. Whenever something weird or seedy or downright unseemly happens in the US, by and large most people's first intuition is that it happened in Florida. And they're not often wrong. :v:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laputanmachine posted:

I'd say Pat and Rod would be a better pair for that. They already have their police hats!

No.

Smuckles and Sanders would be amazing.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Laputanmachine posted:

Applesauce! Superman doesn't wear a police hat in the shower!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

robot roll call posted:

Applesauce! Superman doesn't wear a police hat in the shower!

Guess who just got ♪yelled at!♪

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Grandpa Pap posted:

This pretty much. Whenever something weird or seedy or downright unseemly happens in the US, by and large most people's first intuition is that it happened in Florida. And they're not often wrong. :v:

If it happened outside of the US it was probably Germany.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Achewood.com posted:

Pardon us while we take a one-off break from Ray's adventure in the hospital where women know math.

Well, that didn't take long. See you next year!

EDIT: :ohdear: Unless he means the street sheet comic in which case... See you next year!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This made me a little more sad than I expected. It also made me realize I'm poo poo at matching fonts.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I had a hankerin' for some commodore, and the followup comic got me laughing.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10062008

Man, achewood is so good.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Grandpa Pap posted:

For a recent example: a woman in Florida just burned down a 3500-year-old tree by smoking meth inside it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

There was a brief tangent in the Doctor Who thread where US goons expressed :confused: at the Doctor referring to some wondrous place as "Space Florida", with the Britgoons explaining that Florida is often viewed in the UK as a wonderful vacation place (having earned this distinction by virtue of being the exact opposite of the UK in regards to weather). Most of the US goons chuckled politely in response, with visions of stories just like the above dancing in their heads. :v:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A little heavy handed, don't you think?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

change my name posted:

A little heavy handed, don't you think?

Yeah, you don't need a drat blowtorch to smoke meth

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darthemed posted:

This made me a little more sad than I expected. It also made me realize I'm poo poo at matching fonts.

Reading a strip from this arc reminds me of my first archive binge through Achewood. It was this strip where I realized just how amazing Achewood was, and it was followed up shortly by these two similarly great strips, which really made me committed to reading the whole thing.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Funny what you find reading the archives :o:

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009
Goddamn Vlad owns.

I want an arc staring Vlad. The few robot strips were always my favourite.

"Why find out?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Is perhaps most basic idea