Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

rahepsi posted:

I have also been looking at the Cyborg RAT7. If for no other reason than it's so customizable.I wouldn't mind input on the RAT7 performance. (I know the physical features well, every owner with youtube has beaten that dead horse.)

I am still doing reading and watching of online reviews. Right now, I am indecisive.

I have a RAT 7 as my primary mouse and overall I find it preforms well for general gaming. I have had a few minor niggling things pop up from time to time, but nothing that has made me want to gt rid of it. The laser seems accurate, mouse glides well (the feet COULD be a bit bigger), and once I got it set up comfortably for my hand I have enjoyed it.

I will say that RAT software is a giant pain in the rear end if you want to do more then adjust the various sensitivity settings.

Overall if you can grab one on sale I would go for it, just don't pay full MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
How the hell are you supposed to use the thumb buttons on the G400 as generic buttons in ~*~Logitech Gaming Software~*~ like you used to be able to do with SetPoint? I'm trying to use the rear thumb button as a push-to-talk Mumble key without having Chrome go backwards all the time, but "Set generic" makes them forward/backwards and deassigning them apparently makes Mumble not recognize them as buttons at all. :wtf:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I've not tried to do that, but generic IS back/forward in Windows. You could delete all drivers and it would still go back/forward.

What you want is a totally non-standard mouse button behaviour, which is fine, of course. Just bind the thing to an obscure key combination and make that the PTT in Mumble..

I'm using SetPoint still and a 518, but that's how I'd imagine you'd need to do it..

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah, "Generic button" just means "Trust the program/OS to decide what it does". Pretty much all programs that don't mess with DirectInput will just read that as back/forward, and not even all games will recognise them as Mouse 4 / Mouse 5 and allow you to bind them.

Just make a "gaming" profile and assign the buttons to something like [ and ], then register the executables for Mumble and any games you use to that profile.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My buddy got a Performance MX and loves the poo poo out of it. His only problem is that the software misreports the battery capacity. It said it was at critical levels for a week.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

How the hell are you supposed to use the thumb buttons on the G400 as generic buttons in ~*~Logitech Gaming Software~*~ like you used to be able to do with SetPoint? I'm trying to use the rear thumb button as a push-to-talk Mumble key without having Chrome go backwards all the time, but "Set generic" makes them forward/backwards and deassigning them apparently makes Mumble not recognize them as buttons at all. :wtf:

Odd. I programmed the forward and backward buttons on mine to be volume control and it never does anything but volume control. I use the Setpoint software.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
I'm getting super tired of my piece of poo poo Habu. Review: It sucks. I've had it for 5 years or so now. It was a pain to install originally, and required some firmware trickery to get working. Once it works, it's fine though. The support and drivers are poo poo as well, and I sometimes found my self ping-ponging back and forth between Microsoft and Razer, as if neither companies would support the product 100%.

But for a while now, it's been disconnecting and reconnecting spontaneously, and this really sucks if it's in the middle of a heated game.. It's the kind of stupid periodic error that doesn't force you to get a new product, just makes it annoying to use. And I keep using it, because I'm too cheap to get a new one. But now it's getting really bad, and I'm looking for a new mouse.

I like Razer mice in general, and I want a wired one. Can't be arsed with batteries and such. But I'd be open to other brands. Most gaming mice probably have it, but buttons on the side of the mouse are also a requirement. Any suggestions?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

The Razer deathadder is basically a non-lovely version of the Habu.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So I'm building my first gaming type PC and I'm looking to buy my first decent mouse and keyboard. I was looking at the Razer DeathAdder and a Razer keyboard when someone in the build thread said that some weren't happy with their Razer products. I'm mainly going going to be playing FPS and RTS type games, do you guys have an suggestions or anything else I should look at?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Codiusprime posted:

So I'm building my first gaming type PC and I'm looking to buy my first decent mouse and keyboard. I was looking at the Razer DeathAdder and a Razer keyboard when someone in the build thread said that some weren't happy with their Razer products. I'm mainly going going to be playing FPS and RTS type games, do you guys have an suggestions or anything else I should look at?

I personally prefer logitech products to razer. But really, you should see if you can try a few out before buying. Maybe see if a local Worstbuy has a few models on display. I use a logitech G5 and I love the feel of it in my hand.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Langolas posted:

I personally prefer logitech products to razer. But really, you should see if you can try a few out before buying. Maybe see if a local Worstbuy has a few models on display. I use a logitech G5 and I love the feel of it in my hand.

Thanks! I like the looks of the G9X but it looks really short. It has been way to long since I've looked at this stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I too am fond of the G5 G500.

There's a keyboard thread as well, if you want to see what's nice there's an alright list in the OP. If you want to drop some money on a mechanical, I am pretty happy with the K60.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 15, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I think I've settled on the Logitech g500, seems like a nice shape and has some good features. It seems to have a few more features over the similarly priced Deathadder, any compelling reason to get that instead of the g500?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Codiusprime posted:

I think I've settled on the Logitech g500, seems like a nice shape and has some good features. It seems to have a few more features over the similarly priced Deathadder, any compelling reason to get that instead of the g500?

Not really, considering that logitech seems to hold up better and they are fantastic about sending you replacement bits even if the mouse is out of warranty.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Dogen posted:

Not really, considering that logitech seems to hold up better and they are fantastic about sending you replacement bits even if the mouse is out of warranty.

Thanks so much for the input y'all, this thread along with the build thread has made this whole process enjoyable and educational!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I won a G400. Should be a nice upgrade from my Logitech Optical Mouse from 2001. :toot:

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
voting against the Deathadder and Logitech G9x.

Deathadder wore down after use. I have big hands so I always push to click on the top edge of the mouse. The soft plastic top slowly bent so that even if I push down all the way on the left button nothing happens. I have to exert pressure near the bottom of where the soft plastic top separates between left and right click to use the left click.

Considering the cost of the mouse I was pretty not happy about it.

The Logitech G9x was an amazing mouse until the free scroll "feature" on the mouse wheel became a permanent fixture. Now I can't use the mousewheel to middle click when browsing nor change weapons reliably in FPS games. The texture that kept the wheel from spinning freely forever wore down after about 6 months. Yes I'm using the correct drivers and yes I attempted to reset the "feature" using the button on the bottom of the mouse.

My best mouse is still my 8+ year old Logitech MX-310. The slate plastic has worn down to white plastic beneath under the many virtual bullets fired.

Has anyone had much experience with the M$ Sidewinder series? A site I order surplus supplies has the X5 and the X3 for sale for $35 and $23 respectively.

I need a replacement for the G9x as it's infuriating to use in shooters. Weapons will randomly swap for me because of the freespin.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dogen posted:

I contacted them about my out of warranty malfunctioning MX518 and they gave me a 50% discount on a mouse purchase so I'm rather pleased at the outcome.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kaludan posted:

voting against the Deathadder and Logitech G9x.

Deathadder wore down after use. I have big hands so I always push to click on the top edge of the mouse. The soft plastic top slowly bent so that even if I push down all the way on the left button nothing happens. I have to exert pressure near the bottom of where the soft plastic top separates between left and right click to use the left click.

Considering the cost of the mouse I was pretty not happy about it.

The Logitech G9x was an amazing mouse until the free scroll "feature" on the mouse wheel became a permanent fixture. Now I can't use the mousewheel to middle click when browsing nor change weapons reliably in FPS games. The texture that kept the wheel from spinning freely forever wore down after about 6 months. Yes I'm using the correct drivers and yes I attempted to reset the "feature" using the button on the bottom of the mouse.

My best mouse is still my 8+ year old Logitech MX-310. The slate plastic has worn down to white plastic beneath under the many virtual bullets fired.

Has anyone had much experience with the M$ Sidewinder series? A site I order surplus supplies has the X5 and the X3 for sale for $35 and $23 respectively.

I need a replacement for the G9x as it's infuriating to use in shooters. Weapons will randomly swap for me because of the freespin.

This confirms my suspicion about razer and Logitech mice. I started out on a G9 and the surface started to peel away on the grip after a year of admittedly WoW grade use.

I currently use a sidewinder x8, the mouse itself is great but the recharge mechanism is very touchy, and I'm sick of recharging it every week. I also believe Microsoft has discontinued its sidewinder line.

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

This confirms my suspicion about razer and Logitech mice. I started out on a G9 and the surface started to peel away on the grip after a year of admittedly WoW grade use.

I currently use a sidewinder x8, the mouse itself is great but the recharge mechanism is very touchy, and I'm sick of recharging it every week. I also believe Microsoft has discontinued its sidewinder line.

The site I'm ordering from sells overstock stuff.

Geeks.com

If your only issue with that is the charging, then I have no problem. I prefer wired mice. I'm superstitious.

Gonna order that X5.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kaludan posted:

The site I'm ordering from sells overstock stuff.

Geeks.com

If your only issue with that is the charging, then I have no problem. I prefer wired mice. I'm superstitious.

Gonna order that X5.

I believe the X5 had a slightly different shape/different specs compared to the X8 beyond just the wired/wireless. I seem to remember the reviews at the time the X8 came out commenting how much better the X8 was.

I really like the new corsair mice, but I'm concerned they might be a tad on the small side. as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm tossing up what my next mouse will be, but the corsair mice and the R.A.T 7 are on my shortlist.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell
I am currently eyeing the Logitech G700 (Because my current mouse is breaking more by the second) but I need to hear from someone who owns one; are the four buttons on the side usable? I have been using a Razer Diamondback for years now and have gotten quite used to having talk and instant melee there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mr. Fish posted:

I am currently eyeing the Logitech G700 (Because my current mouse is breaking more by the second) but I need to hear from someone who owns one; are the four buttons on the side usable? I have been using a Razer Diamondback for years now and have gotten quite used to having talk and instant melee there.

It looks pretty similar to the G500, which has two easily accessible side buttons, another side button that is not as accessible, and the two top-side buttons that default to DPI switching.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does anyone know where I can buy a pink or light blue zowie mico? Google, the zowie site, and ebay have failed me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

After one too many hits and falls, my naos 3200 bit the bucket (RIP). It was the most comfortable mouse I had ever used but Im going to give the g500 a spin to see what the fuss is about.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I bought a G400 as a replacement to my MX518 which developed the dreaded cable problem. It failed with the same problem despite a selling point of it being that they reinforced it. Now the replacement to my replacement has failed. :negative:

These cables apparently have the strength of rice paper or some poo poo. Cable was completely unobstructed, enough slack to stretch probably a good foot off the desk, never snagged once, yet has managed to damage itself by apparently simply moving.

MX518
G400
and now another G400

All toast to the exact same problem. Where the cable enters the mouse, something manages to get hosed up and it gets increasingly temperamental. There's no visible damage whatsoever.

Pretty sure I should just buy a Deathadder or some poo poo because I'm apparently cursed. Logitech support has always done me right thankfully, but I'm worried that they'll tell me to gently caress off this time... and it's kind of irritating that last time they sent out a replacement it took a month and multiple phone calls for them to actually get it out.

I also have a working G500 but I really don't like it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

slovach posted:

I bought a G400 as a replacement to my MX518 which developed the dreaded cable problem. It failed with the same problem despite a selling point of it being that they reinforced it. Now the replacement to my replacement has failed. :negative:

These cables apparently have the strength of rice paper or some poo poo. Cable was completely unobstructed, enough slack to stretch probably a good foot off the desk, never snagged once, yet has managed to damage itself by apparently simply moving.

MX518
G400
and now another G400

All toast to the exact same problem. Where the cable enters the mouse, something manages to get hosed up and it gets increasingly temperamental. There's no visible damage whatsoever.

Pretty sure I should just buy a Deathadder or some poo poo because I'm apparently cursed. Logitech support has always done me right thankfully, but I'm worried that they'll tell me to gently caress off this time... and it's kind of irritating that last time they sent out a replacement it took a month and multiple phone calls for them to actually get it out.

I also have a working G500 but I really don't like it.

Don't forget to get on Logitech's case about this. They'll probably ship a replacement or something newer.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nothing newer than the G400 right now

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

After about 8 months of use my wife's Razer Naga Epic died - RMB was not registering properly and apparently it is quite usual problem for Nagas. We were lucky it was on warranty so we got the new one just a week after.

But, it says something about Razer's quality. I bought DeathAdder for shooters - which is simpler and I like it better, will see.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Any of your nerds have a R.A.T. 7/MMO?

I have a g9x at work and like it well enough, but I really want a bigger mouse with pinky support. Is the lack of glidy-foot on the back annoying? It seems to be very easy to tilt back...

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Budget Sensei is now released!

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei-raw

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Shogunner posted:

Budget Sensei is now released!

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei-raw

So basically they took away customisable led colours (big whoop), and removed the onboard LCD and CPU (pointless if you keep the mouse plugged into the one PC).

In exchange, you get a vastly superior rubberised surface, and a lower price. Sounds like an improvement to me.

Still no on the fly dips switching though.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

The Lord Bude posted:

So basically they took away customisable led colours (big whoop), and removed the onboard LCD and CPU (pointless if you keep the mouse plugged into the one PC).

In exchange, you get a vastly superior rubberised surface, and a lower price. Sounds like an improvement to me.

Still no on the fly dips switching though.

You can switch between two modes, also I dunno about you but I much prefer smooth surfaces.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I wish a company would make a mouse with leather grips, like you see on steering wheels and gearsticks. I would kill to own a mouse like that.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

After 14 years, my original Microsoft Intellimouse Optical called it quits. I need a replacement, but I can't seem to find anything close other than the Razer Naga. I'm a lefty and I use the mouse with my left hand, so I'd prefer either a lefty or ambidextrous mouse with five buttons. I'd prefer not to spend over fifty bucks, but knowing that I'm in the minority when it comes to using mice on the left side, I'll take what I can get.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Retardog posted:

After 14 years, my original Microsoft Intellimouse Optical called it quits. I need a replacement, but I can't seem to find anything close other than the Razer Naga. I'm a lefty and I use the mouse with my left hand, so I'd prefer either a lefty or ambidextrous mouse with five buttons. I'd prefer not to spend over fifty bucks, but knowing that I'm in the minority when it comes to using mice on the left side, I'll take what I can get.
Zowie AM and the AM-GS are two solid options. I am also left handed and use an Intellimouse Optical 1.1a, but I use it in my right hand. I think the AM is closer to $60 unfortunately, but I am debating picking one up to replace my IMO1.1.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Retardog posted:

The Razer Lachesis has extra buttons on both sides. I'm right handed, but it could be used with either hand. I used mine for a year or two before getting something larger, as the low profile of the mouse and trying to hit the pinky button reliably was bothering my hand (realistically you can comfortably use the two thumb buttons and one of the buttons on the other side, trying to hit both of the others with your pinky results in contortion). If you don't mind something a little bit low to the ground with glowy lights, it's worth a look. The MSRP is closer to $80 but it seems to be cheaper from online retailers. They advertise the Abyssus as being ambidextrous as well, though I have no personal experience with it, and it doesn't look like it has any thumb buttons.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Khorne posted:

Zowie AM and the AM-GS are two solid options. I am also left handed and use an Intellimouse Optical 1.1a, but I use it in my right hand. I think the AM is closer to $60 unfortunately, but I am debating picking one up to replace my IMO1.1.

You're the man, Khorne. That Zowie AM is perfect. Thanks a bunch!

As an aside, I think Razer could stand to learn a bit about marketing and web design from the folks at Zowie. As soon as I clicked on the link to the Lachesis, I got eyefucked by loads of numbers and marketing-speak in a color scheme that hasn't been cool since the Matrix. On the Zowie site I get coherent paragraphs of text that describes what the product does and answers whatever questions I have while I'm reading. Maybe they're marketing to two different crowds. I don't know.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 13, 2012

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Retardog posted:

As an aside, I think Razer could stand to learn a bit about marketing and web design from the folks at Zowie. As soon as I clicked on the link to the Lachesis, I got eyefucked by loads of numbers and marketing-speak in a color scheme that hasn't been cool since the Matrix. On the Zowie site I get coherent paragraphs of text that describes what the product does and answers whatever questions I have while I'm reading. Maybe they're marketing to two different crowds. I don't know.

You're right, they could. I believe that both companies are trying to appeal to the gamer market, however I think Razer is trying to hold on to the gamer "style" of black and flashy glowy neon with buzzwords to match (maybe they should start saying their products have Blast Processing). I like most of their products that I've used, I've found them to be solid and reliable, but they could stand a bit of a makeover. Also, I noticed on the mouse page, if I try to go to look at another mouse, as I move down the pop-out menu, it closes before I get where I'm going because of the poor placement of another item that also pops out a menu, no matter the resolution of my browser window.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
I have some amazon GCs I need to use tonight, may get a Rat MMO7.

Any suggestions on a good mousepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Most of the ones made by Steelseries tends to be praised, whether cloth or hard. I like my Qck Mass a lot, but bear in mind that I needed a thick one due to having a lovely uneven desk.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 14, 2012