Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

No-spoiler answers please: I've read a billion posts about how unsatisfying the ending(s) were. Were they anywhere near as bad a disappointment as the "endings" in Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

There are two main reactions people have to the endings:

1. Depression
2. Anger

One often follows the other. This is an incredibly good game completely destroyed by the ending. I can't even muster up the enthusiasm for a 2nd playthrough until they fix the shitpile at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
More ending ranting:

My biggest issue with the ending is that it's completely nonsensical and random. Specifically the Normandy trying to flee through an exploding mass relay. For one, why the gently caress is Joker going through a mass relay when he should have been shooting at Reapers around Earth? And two, how the gently caress did the ground crew get back onto the ship? Shepard hits the ending button, then the waves go out and hit the Reapers and immediately go to the relay. There's no time period for Joker to have picked up the crew and then suddenly decide to jump through a mass relay for the hell of it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

TheBalor posted:

There are two main reactions people have to the endings:

1. Depression
2. Anger

One often follows the other. This is an incredibly good game completely destroyed by the ending. I can't even muster up the enthusiasm for a 2nd playthrough until they fix the shitpile at the end.

The game is great up until the end. Then it jumps off a cliff.

Does anyone like the endings? Anyone?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

This. This was such a lazy job. The side mission descriptions never change, so you end up forgetting what you were doing or where you are in the quest if you ever need it. There's no Important Item screen either, so any mission items you get from randomly exploring planets must be remembered immediately, or you'll have to find the mission givers and trial and error to see if you have the drat thing.

Really, there's no excuse for that. How did ME1 get it right the first time, and for them not to use the same system? Just baffling.

While I do agree the Journal was done pretty lazily, for most of the "go get me _______" missions you just had to pull up the map on the Citadel and if you had somebodies poo poo their name would be there.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I finished everything I wanted to do in ME2, how do I import my save? Running PC version by the way.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Just finished. I am so goddamn sad.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

TheBalor posted:

MORE ENDING BITCHING

Yeah. My hope is that, at the VERY loving least, they add in something where you can just TALK to the Catalyst. Why is he doing this? Who built him? I just wanted to have Shepard shout at him in that scene: "What about the Quarians and Geth? I made them play nice not two days ago! Isn't that a direct contradiction of your thesis?!"

It's just incredibly weird that they have that hopeful possibility for quarians/geth, then immediately have a "gently caress you organics and synthetics can never coexist" ending.

Since the catalyst is a machine and all and probably conforms to utilitarian logic, it really should have gone something like this:

Catalyst: Humans and synthetics can never coexist. The created are doomed to rebel against the creators in an endless cycle.
Shepard: :smug: I just brokered a peace between created and creator
Catalyst: I see. Somehow that's never happened in the millions years I've been committing galactic genocide, nor did I consider it in the nonillions upon nonillions of clock cycles I've had to simulate possible synthetic/organic relationships, nor did I consider that the possibility of a tenuous peace may be preferable to killing trillions of independent, sentient beings, nor did I consider that my solution to the conflict between synthetics and organics is actually the worst case scenario of any interaction between them. Oh dear I'm rather stupid for a pan galactic intelligence that has been around ostensibly for tens of millions of years. I'll withdraw the reapers back to dark space now.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Lloyd Boner posted:

More ending ranting:

My biggest issue with the ending is that it's completely nonsensical and random. Specifically the Normandy trying to flee through an exploding mass relay. For one, why the gently caress is Joker going through a mass relay when he should have been shooting at Reapers around Earth? And two, how the gently caress did the ground crew get back onto the ship? Shepard hits the ending button, then the waves go out and hit the Reapers and immediately go to the relay. There's no time period for Joker to have picked up the crew and then suddenly decide to jump through a mass relay for the hell of it.

ENDING RAAGH

The best part is, there is almost no scenario where galactic civilization isn't hosed. The more advanced races like the asari and the salarians supposedly have the theoretical knowledge to build new Mass Relays, but they've never done it and have no first-hand knowledge. Worse yet, their populations have been murdered and their planets blasted into rubble, and the galaxy-spanning economy has been completely obliterated.

ON TOP OF ALL OF THAT, the mass effect universe makes a big deal about how even the largest ships don't have the fuel capacity to travel more than in-between local star systems. Reconstruction of the mass relays would either require some amazing breakthrough in FTL travel that effectively renders Mass Relays pointless, or agonizing inch-by-inch construction of fuel depots in deep space to slowly extend the range of FTL travel to build a mass relay at two points.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

theCalamity posted:

I would venture to say AMAZING. RIGHT UP UNTIL THE END.

poo poo.. why dont you give me a dialogue wheel that gives me "Staple dick to wall" , "Get hosed by a rhino" and "destroy existing infrastructure and maybe survive" and tell me the latter is the "good" ending EDIT: NEVERMIND ALL OF THE UTTERLY STUPID STUPID STUPID PLOTHOLES ALL OF THESE ENDINGS ENTAIL. seriously, fight a big spacebattle, figure out what giant spacedoohicky does, figure out (insert big moral choice(s) here) then endgame. (WHERE THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF THINGS NOT COMPLETELY GOING ALL WARHAMMER 40K) Seriously, what is the spinoff going to be... Joker 'N EDI's Dino loving Hunter?

hmmmm.. seems I have progressed from denial through pain into anger.. (sigh) 4 stages to go...

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 9, 2012

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

theCalamity posted:

I've only witnessed one so far and while I wasn't exactly happy with it, it didn't send me into a nerdrage or anything. I still can't wait to play the game again and do things differently.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

I finished everything I wanted to do in ME2, how do I import my save? Running PC version by the way.

It should be automatic.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Just beat the game, really enjoyed it, and multiplayer owns too. Watch EA break up the community with $10 (Don't know the equivalent in Bioware Bucks) map pack.

I didn't think the ending I got was terrible, although I'm looking forward to finishing my NG+ so I can get the ending that has [spoiler] the Volus dancing and singing with the Normandy crew like the end of Return of the Jedi[/spoilr]

Vega is also the lamest Krogan squadmate yet.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The endings are what they are, but I don't know what's so drat hard about putting in an epilogue that tells the current situation and future of people and groups that you've encountered along the way. The old Fallouts did it, and the first Dragon Age did it too, so it's not something that doesn't work in modern games.

It might be different if Mass Effect were one game instead of three, but the involvement and interaction that you have over the trilogy warrants a little more than no mention whatsoever. Did Zhu's Hope come out the end still standing? How about Miranda and her sister? These are things that I want to know.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

theCalamity posted:

From what I've read, the vast majority seem to be sad/angry/disappointed with the endings, but there are some people who liked it for some reason. Reddit has a few white knights - including one guy that I think may actually be a robot - but that's about it that I know of.

It sucks, because the game was pretty excellent all-around until the ending, which makes the crash much worse. You feel elated and generally badass especially when you survive the final two waves of reaper forces (seriously, both of those final two waves took everything I had as a vanguard on hardcore - I cant even imagine it on insanity, just because the number of enemies between checkpoints is so massive. The second one I could barely even go on the offensive because banshees are just so drat dangerous, and avoiding the reaper laser added one more element to an already dire situation. But I somehow held out until the missiles became available, and even the final sprint to the conduit was feeling pretty awesome.

But everything after that is like a punch in the gut.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
:stare: Anyone who has From Ashes, take Javik with you when you go to Thessia. He does story poo poo and it's impressive.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Blue Raider posted:

I don't know what's so drat hard about putting in an epilogue that tells the current situation and future of people and groups that you've encountered along the way.

exactly. you give me some giant uberspacejesus ending fiasco, FINE. but please tell me what the gently caress the impact of all of these VERY IMPORTANT CHOICES that I have been making.

Give me a GODDAMN SPREADSHEET ON MY CASUALTIES, and why I hosed UP by chasing skirt on Omega, instead of doing some stupid fetch quest.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
How exactly do you get the Master and Commander Achievement? It requires you to deliver most of the war assets to the final battle.

I suppose I'll ask another way - when does it trigger? I reloaded my pre-final battle save (IE, before jumping to Earth), did the sequence, landed, and still no trigger. My Effective War Assets is at 7000 (100% Galaxy at War).

Has anyone obtained this achievement to enlighten me?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

theCalamity posted:

I do. Apparently I've been paid by Bioware to do so, though. I don't mind tragic endings, and I certainly don't mind it happening to this particular cast.

I just don't see how people can imagine every possible terrible thing that MIGHT happen in the aftermath of the best available ending in terms of resources, but can't actually imagine how all of those resources pooled together in one central location could result in a better future.

Especially with the Normandy thing. People keep saying 'THEY ARE STRANDED FOREVER', but the game doesn't even SAY that directly. I prefer to think that they have a rough go at it for a while, but the combined intelligence of the geth, quarians (and their liveships), salarians, turians, asari, and humans, and hell even the krogan, coupled with the gently caress-ton of Reaper salvage left behind, eventually find them. It's not like they just say 'WELP, TIME TO DIE BECAUSE TECHNOLOGY SUCKS GUYS'

I expect my next paycheck in the mail by tomorrow, Bioware!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Stroth posted:

Okay, I've seen this posted a bunch of times and I'm sick of it. So lets end this.

Who here has managed to get 8000+ war assets?

Not 'I saw on another forum.' Not 'Well, Bioware says you can do it.' Who here has done it themselves? Anybody? Anybody at all? Show me a loving screenshot.

I'm at nearly an effective 3k (2800 ish I think, although I have to swing by the Citadel to turn in some poo poo) and I'm only just starting Priority: Perseus Veil. 1k more by the Cerebus mission should be doable.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 9, 2012

lfield
May 10, 2008
More cathartic complaining about the ending:

Holy poo poo that was absolutely terrible. The endings are practically identical and ignore every choice made in all 3 games. You could play again from the start of ME1 and make totally opposite choices and the only thing that would change is the color of the explosion in the ending cinematic.

The catalyst VI god-kid thing raises so many questions, and then the game ends a minute later. Who created it? Why does it think that a cycle of synthetics wiping out organics is a good solution to synthetics and organics fighting? If it controls the reapers and the citadel, why would it send Sovereign to take control of the citadel in ME1? Why not just open the citadel relay itself? This loving ending, man.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Aberrant posted:

I'm at nearly an effective 3k (2800 ish I think, although I have to swing by the Citadel to turn in some poo poo) and I'm only just starting Priority: Perseus Veil. 1k more by the Cerebus mission should be doable.

In my non-import playthrough, without any multiplayer, I had close to 3k military strength. Keep in mind you lose out on a nice chunk of points on a non-import playthrough because you flat out just don't get to have certain resources available.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
gently caress, Javik sends the best emails. You can just imagine him sitting there, typing with a huge :stare: sort of expression on his face.

Also, Tali's From Ashes outfit is certainly different from her usual fare.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Stroth posted:

Worse. DX:HR's endings were crap but at least they made some sense in the context of the game.

Yeah, DX:HR's endings were lazy "monologue over stock footage" affairs, but at least your choices make some sense in universe. Here, you get to build up to the retarded babby of Contact and Evangelion over the course of three games that had nothing to do with that kind of poo poo.

It's a shame since every other aspect of the game is a solid improvement over ME2.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Lotish posted:

Jesus. I just got through Grissom Academy on Insanity. That first chamber after you hook up with the students is absolutely brutal.

And then you get to ride an ATLAS. That was fun.

DAMMIT. I didn't know there was a time window for this mission. I guess they don dead in my game now :(

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Hey so do the Nemesis assume your character class/sex? I'm playing a female infiltrator and they're female infiltrators, just curious.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
I didn't have much of a problem with the ending v :) v.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

chumpchous posted:

Hey so do the Nemesis assume your character class/sex? I'm playing a female infiltrator and they're female infiltrators, just curious.

No, Nemeses are female infiltrators.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

chumpchous posted:

Nemesisises (guddamn that word is awkward to pluralise) are always female and always snipers.

E:FB.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Abhorrence posted:

Nemesisises (guddamn that word is awkward to pluralise) are always female and always snipers.

E:FB.

The plural of Nemesis is Nemeses :eng101:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
so, this is the biggest renegade thing you can do on tuchanka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1FAxiUAoo

who would do this, honestly. i mean come on

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
Is there a saved game editor out yet for ME3? Google is telling me no. I played through the first two games on a now dead 360, and ME3 on PC. I freaking hate not having all of my earlier decisions carry over.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

JaundiceDave posted:

so, this is the biggest renegade thing you can do on tuchanka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1FAxiUAoo

I did. I haven't beaten the game yet but Renegade Shepard is cold. I felt so bad after that happened.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Oh this face cracks me up every time.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

JaundiceDave posted:

That is hosed up, but Mordin yelling out "I made a mistake!" sent a chill down my spine. The voice acting really is at its goddamn best in this game.

HappyKittens
Feb 4, 2012

by angerbutt
Is raising my effective military rating going to have a significant impact on the ending I get? Because I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with the ones I got.

Shepard dies to control the reapers, reapers get blasted by blue energy wave and flew off to god-knows-where, Normandy crew gets stranded on a unknown planet with no hope of escaping because relays blew up.

Systhesis ending:EXACT SAME THING EXCEPT THE ENERGY WAVE IS GREEN NOW! WOOHOO!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Every time Diana Allers delivers a report on the awful things that are happening, she sounds so very bored by it all, as if it's the most normal thing in the galaxy.

I'm not expecting her to sound excited, but you'd think she'd sound grave or something.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Well everything was fine right up until the game ended. I mean the game basically blew the previous 2 games out of the water. Everything I wanted was in there, from the epic space battles to the cathartic plot resolutions of the conflicts from the previous games. But then the game had to give me a lovely ending that makes everything I did completely meaningless with a ton of plot holes to boot.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

HappyKittens posted:

Is raising my effective military rating going to have a significant impact on the ending I get? Because I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with the ones I got.

Shepard dies to control the reapers, reapers get blasted by blue energy wave and flew off to god-knows-where, Normandy crew gets stranded on a unknown planet with no hope of escaping because relays blew up.

Systhesis ending:EXACT SAME THING EXCEPT THE ENERGY WAVE IS GREEN NOW! WOOHOO!

Think about how pissed off most people are about the endings and you will find the answer you seek.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Chiming in to say that this is the best game I've ever played, even if the endings are loving awful. I'm just going to ignore them and pretend they didn't happen. Hopefully this bollocks will get retconned to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JaundiceDave posted:

Holy poo poo I am really upset by this :smith: Mordin is one of my favourite video game characters ever, top notch writing and voice acting.

• Locked thread