Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.

i shoot friendlies posted:

Come on, you can't really believe this is a real article. I hire people like this for my business on a regular basis. At least 50% (more like 95% in small markets) of the articles in every newspaper life or travel or general interest section are written by people like this.

Here is how it works. The business owner, in this case Olive Garden, hires a local "public relations" person. That local person knows the editors and writers (if any) for the local papers. The PR person writes up an article with the tone of "Hey, look at this new business. Let me tell you about it!". I reality it is a big advertisement. They give it to the papers, and the papers put their writers names on the articles and publish them.

Do you really think some small town paper in Idaho or Nebraska has the resources for all those reviews? No chance. I (and my business) have appeared in several major NE papers and trade magazines, all under the guise of general interest articles. It cost a couple grand to get a blitz like this, but a good PR person knows how to write articles and coordinate so you hit 3 or 4 papers and journals all at once, generating a lot of publicity.

They also know how to write articles that are not so transparent. Look at the last couple paragraphs starting with "There’s a homemade soup...". This sounds like it is right from OG's website or PR people.
Actually, it would seem that Ms. Hagerty has been trolling us all, and we didn't even know it.

quote:

But the best part about this review comes from some background information dug up by intrepid Duluth News reporter Brandon Stahl. In the course of verifying that this was, in fact, a real review, he uncovered something wonderfully upper-Midwestern. First, read the full review. Done that? Great. Now, get this—that was not a positive review of The Olive Garden.

Stahl talked to a former Grand Forks Herald editor who says, "By the way, [Marilyn Hagerty's] regular readers will recognize that as a fairly negative review since she spent a lot more time on the ambience than the food."

Cultural context: It's the difference between a glowing review, and a passive-aggressively negative one.

Well played, Mariyn. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

A Gremlin Eel posted:

Actually, it would seem that Ms. Hagerty has been trolling us all, and we didn't even know it.

Well played, Mariyn. :golfclap:

Oh snap. I knew there was something going on behind those eyes, only instead of diabolical machinations, there was the crafty and wily soul of a nice midwestern critic.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

bunnielab posted:

Doing a few years as a stagehand is a great way to spend part of your 20s. I thought I wanted to get out of it when I got older but that didn't happen.

That's what I've been doing for nigh on twenty years. I've done other jobs, but keep getting dragged back into the theatre.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Cavenagh posted:

That's what I've been doing for nigh on twenty years. I've done other jobs, but keep getting dragged back into the theatre.

I shifted over to production management but realized I missed pushing boxes so now I am trying to freelance at both but it seems to work out that now I never sleep.

I am pleased as poo poo that I have been able to jump right back into it, but the woman, who never lived with me when I was gigging, seems pretty dismayed with my coming home at 2:30am all hyper and ready to booze it up.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

bunnielab posted:

I shifted over to production management but realized I missed pushing boxes so now I am trying to freelance at both but it seems to work out that now I never sleep.

I am pleased as poo poo that I have been able to jump right back into it, but the woman, who never lived with me when I was gigging, seems pretty dismayed with my coming home at 2:30am all hyper and ready to booze it up.

I work the lighting side and at the moment my theatres have nothing but concerts, comedians and psychics so there's little beyond general covers to deal with, so I can go straight to the bar from work. Feels so luxurious.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

A Gremlin Eel posted:

Having been to North Dakota more times than I'd care to admit or remember, I have no doubts whatsoever that Olive Garden is, indeed, the best restaurant in Grand Forks. When your main competition is Buffalo Wild Wings and Shakey's Pizza, well duh.

That being said, holy poo poo do I miss Shakey's Pizza.

Whitey's is (was? I heard rumours they'd shut down or been bought out) much better than anyway out on the hotel/retail strip. Incredibly appropriate name for grand forks but both times I ate there it was a damned good meal. That said if I go cross border I usually make the effort to go to Fargo these days which has tons more choices and a bit more quality. And yes, like AGE I've been to NoDak way way too often.

I just got the terrible news that I'm supposed to have no citrus and minimal tomatoes until the fall. Summer without citrus and tomatoes makes me sad.

Toast fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 8, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
HH, doesn't matter what word you use, your guy's a twat.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Since this thread is about culinary chat I had a cooking related question I was hoping some of you all could help me with.

I want to make some Baked Beans for a gathering this weekend but I do not have a cast iron dutch oven (have everything else) or any other pots that are oven safe (without stupid handles). I wanted to know if I could mimic the low heat of a oven with a slow cooker set to low/high and still get some tasty beans or do I need the oven for the proper taste/texture? Most recipes I have seen for the Baked Beans say 250 deg oven for 4-5 hours and wanted to see if that is doable in a slow cooker.

I am no slouch in the kitchen and have pretty much anything I need to make most dishes besides a drat cast iron dutch oven, going to have to get me one of those know.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rythe posted:

Since this thread is about culinary chat I had a cooking related question I was hoping some of you all could help me with.

I want to make some Baked Beans for a gathering this weekend but I do not have a cast iron dutch oven (have everything else) or any other pots that are oven safe (without stupid handles). I wanted to know if I could mimic the low heat of a oven with a slow cooker set to low/high and still get some tasty beans or do I need the oven for the proper taste/texture? Most recipes I have seen for the Baked Beans say 250 deg oven for 4-5 hours and wanted to see if that is doable in a slow cooker.

I am no slouch in the kitchen and have pretty much anything I need to make most dishes besides a drat cast iron dutch oven, going to have to get me one of those know.
The slow cooker is ideal for baked beans, if you aren't interested in jacking up your gas bill for the month. It'll be fine.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

dino. posted:

The slow cooker is ideal for baked beans, if you aren't interested in jacking up your gas bill for the month. It'll be fine.

Thanks dino I was going to give it a shot anyways and see how it comes out, the recipe actually calls for 250 degs for 6-8 hours. Would that be the same as low heat on the slow cookers for approx the same amount of time?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rythe posted:

Thanks dino I was going to give it a shot anyways and see how it comes out, the recipe actually calls for 250 degs for 6-8 hours. Would that be the same as low heat on the slow cookers for approx the same amount of time?
The slow cooker has a lower heat than that, but it's OK, because you're not talking about transferring the dry heat of the oven to food, but rather the more direct heat of the element in the slow cooker. You may have to play with the timing, but if you use cold water and ingredients to start, about 6 - 8 hours sounds right. If you're cooking everything in a pot, then dumping it hot into the slow cooker, closer to 3 - 5 hours is appropriate.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Steakandchips posted:

I've had sauces like it many times (I lived in south east asia for 7 years), but hadn't had Sriracha specifically because it wasn't really available/common in SEA.

SEA as in Seattle? Because... wtf? It's in every single Asian restaurant. And even many non-Asian restaurants. So I'm confused.

On a Sriracha related note, my awesome husband made homemade Sriracha today. And baked bread. And built 2 awesome trellises. And made dinner. Good husband!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

kiteless posted:

SEA as in Seattle? Because... wtf? It's in every single Asian restaurant. And even many non-Asian restaurants. So I'm confused.

On a Sriracha related note, my awesome husband made homemade Sriracha today. And baked bread. And built 2 awesome trellises. And made dinner. Good husband!

I think they meant Southeast Asia.

Which makes sense, that style of that kind of sauce was created in the States.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I think they meant Southeast Asia.

Which makes sense, that style of that kind of sauce was created in the States.

Well that makes sense and I'm an idiot.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toast posted:

I just got the terrible news that I'm supposed to have no citrus and minimal tomatoes until the fall. Summer without citrus and tomatoes makes me sad.

Explain yourself, because that's rough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/is-pink-slime-in-the-beef-at-your-grocery-store/

Whistleblower says 70% of grocery ground beef is "pink slime"

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Manuel Calavera posted:

Explain yourself, because that's rough.

I have a mysterious throat ailment, one of the possible causes is acid related and if I can solve it this way I may avoid basically having my throat roto-rootered. I'm hoping to god it's not permanent.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
That sucks! Sorry to hear that Toast!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No vinegar? Nothing made with vinegar? No kraut? No kimchee? Nothing acidic at all?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I wonder what citrus and tomatoes would taste like in recipes if you neutralized their acidity by adding something alkaline.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No vinegar? Nothing made with vinegar? No kraut? No kimchee? Nothing acidic at all?

I dated a girl for a while who had some stomach issue where she couldn't have anything acidic. It was some thing where her stomach produced way too much acid and something with her esophageal sphincter.

She was a food nut and was constantly making her self sick eating stuff that she shouldn't. Girl did a lot of vomiting.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

So does this mean we have to post pictures of deliciously acidic foods to taunt Toast? Or are we going in the complete opposite direction and holding a zero acidity ICSA challenge?

I say the latter, because Toast is cool.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I am down for a contest to make the most pH neutral foods.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

It's friday, it's 17.15, and I will now go get shitfaced!

Happy weekend goons

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Happy Hat posted:

It's friday, it's 11.22AM, and I will now go get shitfaced!

Happy weekend goons

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Make brownies in a waffle iron, you dummy!

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

He actually didn't mention vinegar but yeah, probably that too. Zero vinegar is never going to happen though.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

What about wine? And beer? :(

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
In 24 hours I will be bartending a block off the parade on st Patrick's day. Today I sip sparkling wine on the patio of my parent's house. Tomorrow. I drive my enemies before me to be reawrded with pocket change.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Coffee?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

In 24 hours I will be bartending a block off the parade on st Patrick's day. Today I sip sparkling wine on the patio of my parent's house. Tomorrow. I drive my enemies before me to be reawrded with pocket change.

I am totally going to keep you company (have to go for a j. crew run anyway) You can be part of my lost weekend!

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

kiteless posted:

What about wine? And beer? :(

Nothing carbonated either, and minimal alcohol (not forbidden though). Never drink coffee anyway but yeah, no caffeine.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Toast posted:

I have a mysterious throat ailment, one of the possible causes is acid related and if I can solve it this way I may avoid basically having my throat roto-rootered. I'm hoping to god it's not permanent.

If its acid errosion of your throat it is semi-permanent. First, you'll be given the option to have the throat stretching done under a local or a general anesthesia. The correct answer here is general every time. They'll say "Lets try it with local first" to which you answer "No loving way"

The time between stretchings varies, but is usually between every 6 months to every couple years.

Expect about a day for recovery time.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Phummus posted:

If its acid errosion of your throat it is semi-permanent. First, you'll be given the option to have the throat stretching done under a local or a general anesthesia. The correct answer here is general every time. They'll say "Lets try it with local first" to which you answer "No loving way"

The time between stretchings varies, but is usually between every 6 months to every couple years.

Expect about a day for recovery time.

Dear god, throat stretching sounds like heinous Inquisition torture.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

No... it sounds like yet another one of your weird american sexual practices...

Seriously, you're more depraved than the Germans.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

At least we don't have poop shelves on our toilets.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Snow party with biologists tonight in Truckee. I'm very excited for this! Then tomorrow night Bela Fleck and the Flecktones at the Nugget! It should be a good weekend.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

what the gently caress is a snow party

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That was what I thought too.