Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I was in the local Shopko tonight. While waiting for someone else, I perused the card section and pick up 4 packs of 2011 Bowman plat. When I got home, I saw a redemption for this...

(Sorry I don't have a scan of the actual redemp.)
:byodood: Does it normally take 3 GD months for them to ship something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

theacox posted:

I was in the local Shopko tonight. While waiting for someone else, I perused the card section and pick up 4 packs of 2011 Bowman plat. When I got home, I saw a redemption for this...

(Sorry I don't have a scan of the actual redemp.)
:byodood: Does it normally take 3 GD months for them to ship something like this?
I bought a box of 2008 Topps Series 1 in the first couple months of the season, and submitted a Red Hot Rookie redemption immediately after cracking it. The package containing the card wound up having to be forwarded to my new address, after I moved... in August.

(also the card wound up being Taylor Teagarden, something which just added insult to injury)

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
e: Nevermind. I decided to do something different.

I'm still in on the Heritage break.

theacox fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 9, 2012

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

AsInHowe posted:

2012 Topps Heritage comes in next week. I'd like to do a multiple box break with you guys on the release date.

How many of you are in, and how much do you want to do?

With a very rough estimate, slots are about $8.50 per box for 2-3 teams. This is anticipating us having 10 people buying in.

Let's do this!

I'm keen if you can do shipping to New Zealand. I had two teams in a Gypsy Queen case break last year, and shipping was $11 in addition to supplies etc.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I'm in for Heritage. Three boxes seems to be the standard, I'm down with that.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Going through random crap today and found my awesome baseball cap.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Mooseontheloose posted:

30 bucks sounds affordable. I am down for Topps Series 1. What's the big deal about heritage cards?

The obvious thing is that Heritage cards use old style card layouts, which a lot of people think is neat. The other big sell is that all the autos are on card, and there are different variations (ink color, etc) to chase. Other cool things include short prints to chase, chrome parallels, and the possibility of a HOF auto or relic.

Check out the 2012 sell sheet here.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 9, 2012

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

camoseven posted:

The obvious thing is that Heritage cards use old style card layouts, which a lot of people think is neat. The other big sell is that all the autos are on card, and there are different variations (ink color, etc) to chase. Other cool things include short prints to chase, chrome parallels, and the possibility of a HOF auto or relic.

Check out the 2012 sell sheet here.

Ah ok, I checked it out, looks cool. I am down.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I always liked the 62' design so last year's Heritage was one of my favorites. I won't be happy with a Topps Heritage set again until 2018 :(

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Looks like we got at least 10 huh?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

How can 2 different grading companies miss something as obvious as this?

http://deadspin.com/5892060/why-is-...er-ty-cobb-died

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mattfl posted:

How can 2 different grading companies miss something as obvious as this?

http://deadspin.com/5892060/why-is-...er-ty-cobb-died

FWIW although I have no particular insight on that Cobb ball, the author of the piece is very controversial within the hobby community for various reasons.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 10, 2012

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

FWIW although I have no particular insight on that Cobb ball, the author of the piece is very controversial within the hobby community for various reasons.
How incredibly vague. What are you referring to?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Ghumbs posted:

How incredibly vague. What are you referring to?

Here's the sanitized version that SI was able to print without being sued.

As of the last I'd heard, the court cases to recover various things were still going.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I know this is a silly thing, but I figured I'd post it here to ask for some baseball card goons' help. I think that trying to collect all the 2012 Topps 1 of 1s of Kevin Slowey will be a fun challenge. My count of the total is seven: The four printing plates, the platinum, the wood, and the Toppsvault blank back.

I now own two of the seven. I still need the platinum and the printing plates. So if anyone happens across them in their travels, maybe we can work something out.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Heritage comes out tomorrow!

Who wants to do some breaks!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Me!Me!Me!

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I don't even like heritage but memememe!

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Gimme some heritage.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
$8.50 per box

15 slots (or ten slots)

Two teams assigned when it's full

Team trading is allowable

And let's get it going.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

$8.50 per box

15 slots (or ten slots)

Two teams assigned when it's full

Team trading is allowable

And let's get it going.

Random? or draft? I'm in for 2-3 of either one.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I'm down.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Is the $8.50 the price for the 10 person (each with three teams) option? Because for 15 people (each with two teams) that's $127.50, which is ripoff city for a hobby box of Heritage.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

Is the $8.50 the price for the 10 person (each with three teams) option? Because for 15 people (each with two teams) that's $127.50, which is ripoff city for a hobby box of Heritage.

By the time you ship out ten cubes of cards, the cost does go up. There's lots of cards in this break, and everyone will be getting a small box.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Wait, how much is this going to cost per person>?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

By the time you ship out ten cubes of cards, the cost does go up. There's lots of cards in this break, and everyone will be getting a small box.

Fair enough, I had no idea you were including shipping in the price.

In for three.

Are you randomizing for each box or just the total break?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

AsInHowe posted:

Heritage comes out tomorrow!

Who wants to do some breaks!

I want in, if you're ok with shipping to New Zealand. Let me know how much more I need to pay to cover shipping.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

Fair enough, I had no idea you were including shipping in the price.

In for three.

Are you randomizing for each box or just the total break?

- Total break

- $25.50 per person

- International rates will be calculated tomorrow

- Teams will be randomized once everyone pays and all

Paypal gifts to gordie dot fall at gmail dot com

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

- Total break

- $25.50 per person

I'm in, getting on paypal right now.

e: sent

DrGonzo90 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 14, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What is the best way to get into this?

Do you start and say "I want to have every 2012 Ray that has a card?" Or do you say "I want to have every Ray ever." or "I want every Ray rookie card?"

Collecting for pure personal enjoyment, not some long term investment?

And what is the story with all the different "Sets". I get that the standard is the standard, and the Update are people that got traded/had significant late debuts, but what else is there?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There are lots and lots and lots of sets, from cheap to expensive (relatively).

Go somewhere like http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/blowoutcards-product-information-pages-baseball/ or http://www.sportscardradio.com/index.php/product-previews-a-reviews and figure out what sets you like the look of, and then google those sets to see how much they'll cost and how available they are.

After you figure out what sets or whatever you like, how you collect them is up to you. If you just want, say, the Rays cards from Gypsy Queen 2012, you can either bust packs until you manage to pull them all, participate in group breaks like the one being organized now, or go on ebay/buy singles from a local hobby store.

Personally I try to get every Rangers base (common) card from a given year, and the rarer stuff (parallels, autos, relics) if it looks particularly good or it's a player I really like. I have a small but growing Nelson Cruz autograph and 1/1 collection.

My biggest piece of advice would be to only bust packs if you really enjoy it, never to chase down a particular card you want. That only leads to disappointment.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LordPants posted:

What is the best way to get into this?

Collect old stuff, either deadball era or Golden Age.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jeffersonlives posted:

Collect old stuff, either deadball era or Golden Age.

:smug: I'll just start with T206.

Actually, I might think about getting the "Rick Face" card because that story always made me laugh. Although, is 80 dollars for a card that says "gently caress" on it really a good investment?

But in all seriousness, thanks for the help with this stuff, I'm a bit out of my league.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LordPants posted:

:smug: I'll just start with T206.

This is perfectly reasonable! You'd have years before figuring out whether to buy Wagner, Plank, and Doyle NY Nat'l.

Honestly if I were starting out and just looking to collect some cards, I'd probably pick 53 Topps and 53 Bowman Color. They're two of the most beautiful sets ever made, commons are cheap and plentiful, and the key star cards (even Mickey) are affordable. Between the two, you've got most every major star of that era except Aaron, Koufax, and Clemente, and you can always pick up their rookies out of 54 and 55 if you want.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

LordPants posted:

Actually, I might think about getting the "Rick Face" card because that story always made me laugh. Although, is 80 dollars for a card that says "gently caress" on it really a good investment?

Do not pay $80 for that card. If you look around on ebay you can find cards graded 9.5 or 10 that sell for less than half that and ungraded versions can be reliably had for under $10.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I started out recently just picking up random packs, got tired of it pretty quickly and then moved on to grabbing random cheap T206 cards on ebay. Now I'm working on every T206 minor leaguer, most cards are cheap enough save for a few and its nice to have a goal.

e:

AsInHowe posted:

Paypal gifts
sent!

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 14, 2012

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

- Total break

- $25.50 per person

Paypal gifts to gordie dot fall at gmail dot com

paypal sent.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

Do not pay $80 for that card. If you look around on ebay you can find cards graded 9.5 or 10 that sell for less than half that and ungraded versions can be reliably had for under $10.

I have one, and I'll sell it to you for $12 delivered.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Also, three people have sent in payments (four if I'm included).

Send away guys, I'd love to do a first-day break!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

Also, three people have sent in payments (four if I'm included).

Send away guys, I'd love to do a first-day break!

Just waiting on international (Canada) rates.

• Locked thread