Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I had myself measured for new bras yesterday and GOOD LORD! I am in total shock as to just how big my boobs got. I'm now a 44DDD! I was just a D before. They aren't going to stay like this are they? I mean, after I'm done breast feeding, they'll go back down, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
They might, they might not. It's hard to say for sure, unfortunately.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Most people don't keep the larger breasts unless they're also not losing the extra fat gained during pregnancy. Mine got smaller a couple of months after birth and then again when I lost some weight. I know other people whose got smaller again after they weaned.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011
I'm pregnant again!

We (my husband & I) have been trying since September, and I was just about to take a month off when I realised my period was late & I was feeling nauseous, so I tested. I'm only at 5 weeks, so I know there's still a significant chance of miscarriage, but I would go nuts keeping it a secret from the Entire World, so I decided to share here.

It's interesting how all the symptoms seem to be coming earlier this time; I was nauseous from weeks 8 to 30 last time, and my sense of smell went through the roof. So far the nausea is minor, but I can definitely smell everything which made walking to the park with my toddler today a little surreal.

My first OB appointment is in two more weeks. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the tiny blob on the ultrasound and starting a new collection of baby pictures.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Cathis posted:

Edit: This is utterly retarded, but can I assume this fat feeling below my bellybutton won't get better for.. 8 months or so? It's felt like mild period cramps for 3 days now and if this is the BEST it's going to be for 8 months, I am going to be one cranky lady!

I had a "fat" feeling early in pregnancy which did go away -- it was bloating due to gas and it sorted itself out by about 10 weeks or so. It was uncomfortable and made it hard to wear pants and impossible to wear jeans, so I sympathise! The actual feeling of being big because of the baby was completely different, but of course YMMV.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Idonie posted:

It's interesting how all the symptoms seem to be coming earlier this time; I was nauseous from weeks 8 to 30 last time, and my sense of smell went through the roof. So far the nausea is minor, but I can definitely smell everything which made walking to the park with my toddler today a little surreal.

Totally my experience this time around too. I was all-day nauseous the first time around from about 7 weeks (when my sore boobs and nausea prompted me to take a pregnancy test and I got my positive result) to 13 or so. This time, it was almost instantaneous. I got a faint positive at 6 days past ovulation and in the next few days the symptoms kicked in. Thankfully they mostly faded by 13 weeks, like last time, but the fatigue hasn't. Still, that's probably as much because of parenting a toddler as it is because of pregnancy. :)

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Mangue posted:

The crying...Jesus the crying! My daughter is 4 weeks old today. For the last few days she has decided that nothing makes her happy except sucking. Unless she is nursing or sucking on a pacifier she is full of rage. Non-stop crying. I don't think it's pain because she manages to sleep pretty well through the night. She just...hates the world right now I guess.

Please tell me this is a phase! Please don't tell me this is a phase called colic :( She does seem to have an intolerance to cows milk protein but she has been exclusively breast fed for the last week and I have cut out milk from my own diet. I am moving on to cutting out all dairy from today on to see if that helps...

It just seems like some switch flipped and she's really unhappy now. Anyone else deal with this and what sort of things helped? I have two more weeks until I return to work and right now I can't wait. I hate to say it but the idea of someone else taking care of my daughter for 8 hours a day is so friggen awesome.

First of all, tons of sympathy. Taking care of a newborn is *really hard*. It does get easier, or at least differently hard, as time goes on.

It sounds like there are two possible things going on here -- the dairy (and as other people mentioned, maybe soy or wheat or something) intolerance, and also possibly she's getting overtired.

For the dairy, cutting it out of your diet does help, but IIRC the proteins stay in your body for 2-3 weeks, so while cutting it out will help some immediately, it may take time for things to completely sort out. Keep an eye out for whey protein, which is in tons of things one wouldn't expect.

As for the tired -- infants have *very short* sleep/wake cycles, and after about 45-90 minutes of wake time are ready to go back to sleep. If she's awake too long her brain starts producing adrenaline and cortisol, which will make her cranky and grouchy and also interfere with her body trying to get back to sleep. If you've fallen into a pattern where she starts to get miserable and you stimulate her a lot in the hopes of making her feel better, you might actually be perpetuating the problem. (I speak from experience here; my smiley happy baby turned into a monster for a few weeks until I realised that she _could not_ stay up for more than about 60m without starting to melt down.) So, if any of this sounds familiar, try shorter waking periods!

Daya
Nov 13, 2006
This second time around I actually noticed that I was pregnant because I could smell the leather shoes in the closet in the basement from the living room on the second floor. I can still smell everything.

Incongruous
Feb 11, 2003

Now there's something you don't see every day!

Awesome Kristin posted:

That's the round ligament pain that I've read a lot about. The feelings I'm describing are more like sore muscle. You know when you work out or lift weights your muscles are tender afterward and it may be difficult to use them for a day or so? That's what my abdomen feels like when I'm going from laying down to sitting up, and from sitting to standing.

I called the nurse hotline and they didn't have any advice for me so I guess I'm going to try and schedule an earlier appointment with my OB or figure out how to contact her over the phone.

I had the same pain early in pregnancy. I mainly noticed it when getting out of bed and getting out of the car. Like you said, it felt like I had spent the day before doing crunches and was suffering the consequences. I think it went away after a couple of weeks, and definitely before the start of the second trimester. I never ended up asking my midwife about it, so I can't help you identify the cause, but I always just chalked it up to growing pains.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

My two month old hates being wet with the passion of a thousand firey suns.

When he pees and his diaper (cloth) is wet he immediately cries until we change it (note: he doesn't have any diaper rash or problems urinating). When we try to give him a bath he turns blue/purple with rage and does that "they are trying to kill me" scream that becomes a silent apoplectic fit. It isn't that he is cold because he is happy being naked in the house at the same temperature.

It seems that he is starting to associate the bath with horrible things happening because now just bringing him in the bathroom causes him to start crying. How did I break my baby? Is there a way to fix him?

My daughter hated baths when she was little, too, so we started just giving her sponge baths. She was perfectly happy to sit naked in her baby bathtub and let us scrub selected bits with a warm & damp washcloth, but any actual contact with water caused massive screaming. She grew out of it when she hit about 4 months and started to be able to look at stuff and shake a rattle, and now she loves baths and swimming. So... maybe try a sponge bath?

She was also the same about urinating, and again, she grew out of it. It mystifies me in retrospect because once she quit minding the feeling of being wet she became one of those kids who will happily wear a dirty diaper forever without complaining.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
My babby is formed!

Robert came out weighing 8lb 10. Total labour time: 1 hour 45 mins! The whole experience was pretty insane. They were going to send me home for not being in established labour, next thing I know I am being wheeled down to the delivery room. Didn't have time for any pain relief except gas and air which is freaking awesome stuff. Had some tears, but nowhere near as bad as expected. So... I'm a mother. Scary!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Good lord I thought my little one had a lot of hair! Congrats! So cute.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

netally posted:

My babby is formed!

Oh he's ADORABLE! Lookit all that hair! Congratulations!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Anyone got any tips for managing carpal tunnel? Mine is pregnancy induced, and it's really painful. Since it was only diagnosed during my pregnancy by my OB, he didn't really tell me what to do about it, or any ways to possibly prevent it from flaring up.

EDIT: Also probably relevant to mention that mine starts all the way up in my armpit area, and isn't confined to the forearm/wrist region, so there aren't really any braces I can wear.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 13, 2012

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
11 weeks and 5 days for us. Finally told our parents and siblings that we're pregnant.

I have a question I cant seem to find an answer to.

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. All very friendly, I'm not worried about that. I am worried about the baby sleeping in a bassinet next to our bed and a cat deciding that it wants to lay with the newborn.

Other than keeping the animals out of the bedroom, how did you deal with this? Do I really have to put chicken wire over the bassinet?

Did cats bother your newborn?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

We have two cats who sleep ON US AT ALL TIMES and I was concerned about that too. What we did:

While pregnant, let them check out all the baby stuff, I even let them lay on the crib because I didn't want them to have a complex about the baby's stuff. I would immediately shoo them off of baby clothes or blankets, though.

After the baby came home, one cat is terrified of her when she moves or makes noise. He'll come up and gingerly sniff her while one of us is holding her, but she moves or coos at him, he runs off. He will leave the room if she cries. The other cat LOVES the baby's fluffy blankets, but can tell the difference of when the baby is in the blanket or not. No baby - she'll lay on the blankets, baby - she stays off of them. One of the first days home my husband was holding the baby and the cat walked over and tried to lay on the baby/blanket combo. We shooed her off, and she's never done it since. If she can't see the baby in the blanket she'll do the "foot test" to check before she lays down. She does like to walk around the edge of the crib when the baby is in the crib, but she stays off the baby. I would just play it by ear with your cats. See how they react when you bring the baby home.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Well this is what happened when I brought home my new rocking chair today:

Apparently they think its for their benefit, not me and the baby!!

We've bought a net for over the cot, but for the most part I think I'll be keeping the cats out of the baby's room. There's only one of the cats that I think will be brave enough to try sleep on the baby anyway; I reckon the others are going to be terrified.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Spermy Smurf posted:

11 weeks and 5 days for us. Finally told our parents and siblings that we're pregnant.

I have a question I cant seem to find an answer to.

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. All very friendly, I'm not worried about that. I am worried about the baby sleeping in a bassinet next to our bed and a cat deciding that it wants to lay with the newborn.

Other than keeping the animals out of the bedroom, how did you deal with this? Do I really have to put chicken wire over the bassinet?

I have 4 cats and none of them wanted anything to do with my daughter until recently. Cats are wary of new things and usually keep their distance if it's something that makes a lot of noise.

I'd be more concerned about the dogs, depending on their sizes.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My cats were great with the newborn, and have also been with my niece, who I nanny for part time. They don't sleep in the bedroom at night, though, after one decided that my hair was delicious to eat and gnawed off a couple of curls about 2" below the root. :smith:

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

For our cats, we set up the crib and bassinet before hand and lined them with tinfoil. When the cats jumped in it, they were met with unpleasantness and were never tempted to jump in again. No problems now that the baby is actually here.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I have a cat problem too. My neutered male cat decided to mark the new stroller we got. I have no idea what to do about that, and I really hope he doesn't try to mark every new thing we get.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

You can try out things like Ssscat and Feliway in the general area that your baby's things will be.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
You can try spraying some vinegar on the doorstep, that should prevent the cats from entering the room (works with most cats).

Btw some advice on how to introduce the baby to the dogs so that they understand the position of the newcomer in the home:

Before baby arrives:
- teach the dogs that it is not OK to go to the baby's sleeping room starting from now.
- gradually reduce the attention you give to the dogs, so that it is not abrupt with the baby's arrival. Do not shoo the dogs away, just do as if you were really busy.
- have the dog smell the baby's odor before the baby comes home (baby blanket, baby dirty diaper - closed). Do not leave anything with the baby's smell in the dogs' designated territory

When the baby comes home
- do not bring him or her to the dogs to introduce him or her, let the dogs do their first move
- of course do not put the baby in the dogs' designated territory (they may think of him or her as an intruder or a toy)
- when you are with the baby, give your attention to the dog, especially if you're holding the baby (the fact that the baby is physically higher when you address the dog gives the dog the sense of hierarchy). Ignore the dog more when the baby is not around.

Dogs can be unpredictable, I sometimes hear horrible stories about (previously known as "friendly") dogs eating toddlers' faces. Do not leave the baby unattended with the dogs in the same room.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

randomfuss posted:

- teach the dogs that it is not OK to go to the baby's sleeping room starting from now.

This is gonna be hard to do for anyone whose baby sleeps in their room with them.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I like this site...

http://dogsandbabies.wordpress.com/

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

My dogs are all very cool with our baby. I worried a lot at first, but we've settled into a routine and kept the rules consistent, and so I don't foresee any problems for awhile. I'm sure it'll begin to be a bigger deal once the kid is mobile and our routines change again. They keep a respectful distance from the baby (which we have reinforced with treats, attention, etc.). I know my dogs well enough to predict that the biggest chance of something going wrong is if the dogs feel cornered, or if they're just roughhousing with each other and the kid happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We don't have the baby touch the dogs for fun, and let the dogs decide what sort of distance/personal space they want to have. So far, so good. The magnetized babies section of the blog above was really helpful as we were thinking through these issues when I was pregnant.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
One of our cats is terrified of the baby so she doesn't mess with anything. The other bitch cat we figured we would have a problem with has been very protective of the new tiny human. She keeps her distance for the most part but will stand guard, sit between the door and the baby in case of threats, hiss and growl at any knocks from said door, follow us around crying if the baby is crying, and sits next to the baby if she is screaming and gently paws her forehead (claws kept in) to try and soothe her. Both cats were kept out of our bedroom once the baby was born but after a couple weeks they were allowed back in and we have never had to worry about them. Long story short, you cats may surprise you. Or they may continue their curiosity.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My cats were both obsessed with the baby's equipment. They slept in the crib, the stroller, the bouncy chair. Then the baby showed up and they kept a nice wide berth. My son is 4 and a half years old and one of them still avoids him. The other one warmed up to him really quickly and wanted to be near him a lot - if I was there. She wanted nothing to do with him during sleep time, he was only fun when he was awake. The two of them still spent a lot of time hanging out in his equipment and stuff, but only when he wasn't near it. I think his noises and unpredictable movements made them a little leery.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Both of my cats seem fascinated with my bump and try to lay on it all the time. One of them was on there yesterday and suddenly jumped off all surprised and wouldn't get back on. He just sort of sniffed and pawed at it after that. I think my cat might have felt the baby move before I can!
Hopefully the habit of sleeping on the baby will not continue once the baby is out.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Stairs posted:

Both of my cats seem fascinated with my bump and try to lay on it all the time. One of them was on there yesterday and suddenly jumped off all surprised and wouldn't get back on. He just sort of sniffed and pawed at it after that. I think my cat might have felt the baby move before I can!
Hopefully the habit of sleeping on the baby will not continue once the baby is out.

When I was pregnant with my daughter my little cat would always lie on my bump, and then when I started sleeping on my side she'd curl up next to it... which meant I got woken up one night by the cat and the baby playing. The baby would kick, the cat would jump up and attack, the baby would kick more, repeat. Sadly they only did it the once, because I would have loved to have it on video.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Stairs posted:

One of my cats loved sleeping by my side, curled up around my belly with his ear to it. For the first month-and-a-half of Arthur's life he wanted nothing to do with him, but has recently determined that he WILL reclaim his lap, and so is trying to climb up and lie on top of the baby.

That cat's brother mainly pretends there is no baby, and our little girl cat will sniff the baby's foot but nothing more.

Cats: They're weird!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

So apparently after all my worrying about my milk supply not coming it, it appears that I now have hyper-lactation. YAY!

Has anyone else experienced this? I looked around online and the advice given was to not pump but to hand express before feeding, this way it will get rid of the foremilk and the baby will more likely get to the hindmilk. Any other advice?

Also, I'm curious about tummy time. When do you guys do it? For how long? How do you keep them engaged instead of getting frustrated and crying?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Has anyone else experienced this? I looked around online and the advice given was to not pump but to hand express before feeding, this way it will get rid of the foremilk and the baby will more likely get to the hindmilk. Any other advice?

I had about 2 days of engorgement when my milk first came in. David stopped taking my breast at all, so I did wind up pumping for the length of time that he would have fed and giving him a bottle, and after that he was able to latch on properly. After that one pumping session, I hand expressed to comfort between feedings.

What really helped was running two washcloths under very, very cold water and holding them to my breasts both immediately before and immediately after feeding, and when the pain/numbness got to be too much. Also, I realized that my bra was too tight so that was my signal to get fitted for new nursing bras.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Also, I'm curious about tummy time. When do you guys do it? For how long? How do you keep them engaged instead of getting frustrated and crying?

We didn't really do it, because Cecilia absolutely hated it. I wore her a lot, which helps build neck and upper body strength, and when she was older and was wanting to start moving on her own, she didn't mind being on her tummy anymore.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My husband and I would lay on our backs either on the couch or the floor and put Liam on our chest so he could look at our faces for his tummy time. He just raged out if we tried to do it any other way and got no benefit from it because he just rolled into a little ball of screaming fury. His pediatrician and neonatalogist both told me the chest tummy time was just as effective.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We did tummy time nearly every day for 5-10 minutes/day. For the first few weeks of doing it, we would lay him on a blanket and then lay beside him to do tummy time together. He didn't like it every time, but we stuck with it and once he was starting to show signs of rolling over, we put him on an activity mat.

I also tried to do it outside, on a blanket on the grass, to make it more interesting for him.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I did tummy time with Charlotte whenever I remembered to do it so probably once or twice a day for a few minutes at a time. She had really good neck control super early on. She didn't mind it, but it wasn't her favorite thing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wife is currently 25 weeks.

She noticed bleeding last night around bed time, cleaned it up, called her OB and we waited. This morning, there was more blood, so we went to the OB. Everything is fine, but good lord was that scary.

The plus side of all this is we got another ultrasound and my daughter has really pudgy cheeks, and I got to see all the gymnastics she's doing inside my wife.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
That stuff can really scare you; I'm glad she's ok. Did the doc say what caused it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The doc said she really couldn't tell. I believe she said that most likely it was just a discharge that was aggravating the cervix and made it bleed a little. I freaked a little when they said "breech," but apparently that doesn't really matter right now.

15 more weeks, give or take, and I get to hold my little girl and stop worrying about all this.