Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DerDestroyer posted:

You can choose from 3 endings with 50% readiness and about 6900 in War Assets the problem is you need at least 4000 readiness score to modify the Destroy everything ending so that Shepard comes out alive.

By the way I think the thread title really should've been this: The final solution to the Synthetic problem.

It's funny that people in this thread are clamoring that THE BEST ENDING ISN'T POSSIBLE WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER FUCKERS, when it's obvious that BioWare never considered that to be the best ending, by the way the endings themselves are done.

I mean, there's no way an ending where I genocide the Geth and murder EDI is the best simply because Shep can live through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, more than anything, I don't get why Harbringer vanished. That dude was built up as the 'face' of the threat and you kill multiple reapers over the course of the game and none of them are him. Instead, you repeat Saren with the Illusive Man but without the possessed evil body. He shows up to shoot evil laser at you and then, welp, that's the end of that plotline.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

DerDestroyer posted:

You can choose from 3 endings with 50% readiness and about 6900 in War Assets the problem is you need at least 4000 readiness score to modify the Destroy everything ending so that Shepard comes out alive.

By the way I think the thread title really should've been this: The final solution to the Synthetic problem.

Oh, I have no idea if my shep lived or died. Everyone turned green and some old dude told stories about shep. I'm guessing that means shep died.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TheSpiritFox posted:

Given that you don't nova after every charge unless you really want to die or are playing on normal or something stupid like that, we need a much more complex flow chart.

I dunno, I nova'd after charge most of the time even on insanity. The only exception was probably Banshees (which don't fit the chart at all because you have to pay so much attention to their animations to be able to charge them at all).

Though on Insanity I often put the melee before nova just because things have so much hp.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Minor spoiler question:

How many of those neat dream sequences are there? I like 'em, they're very Deadly Premonition-esque.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Well I managed to pass it with my ME1 -> ME2 -> ME3 Paragon character before this thread passed 100 pages.

Boo

Boo-urns

Very pretty but ugly on the inside (and sometimes on the outside.

1. cover system I find sloppy compared to 2. Too many times dying jumping back between walls because apparently my controller needs to be held forward with 0 degrees variation to run forward to new cover. Not to mention the times I've gone into cover and: got stuck, camera got stuck, graphics starting flashing...

2. as mentioned the sound. Dug out a pair of earphones and plugged them into my stereo because certain sounds/dialogues would be recognized as voice commands. The sound was great on headphones until I went through my first relay...I can only describe it as "HOLY gently caress! (flings headphones off) FIX THIS poo poo

3. Retarded squads...sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Hey liara...WARP WARP WARP WARP WARP WARP WARP WARP (launches singularity at armored foe. Hey Ashley fire away with improved fire rate and dmg.....ok you just did one burst...and you're back into cover....and your power ran out.

4. Too many guns not enough variation. Maybe you could have spent less time on that and more time on the rest of the game.

5. I don't care about multiplayer and I didn't ask for it. I certainly don't want it to affect the outcome of my game on my first loving playthrough. I bought it for the single player.

5b. How many servers must I log into to play single player? gently caress you

6. Sniper rifles...tried using several...not worth the weight.

7. The endings...so very deep, so very dark, so very DEUS EX MACHINA! (as in the term, not the game)

8. Bring back mining...how you changed the system in a way that makes me look back to ME2 system and miss it is a loving feat. A feat that should never be replicated and people should be fired.

9. I found this game hard when: 1. More than 1 engineer in an open space especially if one decides to setup up a turret in a location that would make tf2 engis proud. Are you dying at a certain door/area in the school? Turn around and look above you. Sometimes an engi will have setup a turret on the edge overlooking your starting area. 2. More than 1 banshee in an enclosed area

10. Where did the mad husk swarm battles go? WHERE DID THEY GO?

11. Ok for the love of god give us an achievement for exploring every inch of the ship and the citadel and then once we achieve that....put everything we need in one loving room. All the characters, all the workbenches and terminals can be in one loving area once we have acknowledged that yes this area is pretty. The area does not get prettier everytime i have to take an elevator to a new location just to see the stats on a gun I picked up or to handoff an item i found in the middle of nowhere because someone said something when I ran by them to go drop off something to another guy (who is actually in another area)

12. I hate EDIs space visor, don't ask me why but I hate it. Also she is a loving robot, I'm pretty sure she can carry heavier weapons.

13. Is James supposed to be a Latino? Because all I get is a well tanned aryan nation vibe off him but he keeps throwing out spanish terms. Look at his tattoos when he has his shirt off. I would use you but you are not a krogan.

14. Ashley you suck, get a nose job.

15. Tali maybe if you used those long range "shotguns" more effectively you
wouldn't suck (p.s. - the gun loving charges)

16. Kaiden you're dead - either way you get hosed in the rear end

17. Garrus I love you - when I become techno god the first thing I'm going to do is slap a pair of tits on you and get married.

Congrats Bioware in your continuing quest to ruin games that you make us like.

There I got that off my chest, I know a bunch of this has been said already but I just needed to let it out. I am not happy with this game.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Lawlicaust posted:

I dunno, I nova'd after charge most of the time even on insanity. The only exception was probably Banshees (which don't fit the chart at all because you have to pay so much attention to their animations to be able to charge them at all).

True. I guess maybe it's more we need a single player and multiplayer one because the single player never throws the ridiculous menagerie of enemies at you that silver and gold do. I haven't played vanguard single player so I'm thinking "Yeah, charging into that mass of enemies on gold is certain death"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DrNutt posted:

It's funny that people in this thread are clamoring that THE BEST ENDING ISN'T POSSIBLE WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER FUCKERS, when it's obvious that BioWare never considered that to be the best ending, by the way the endings themselves are done.

I mean, there's no way an ending where I genocide the Geth and murder EDI is the best simply because Shep can live through it.

When Bioware said the best ending is available without MP they pretty sure meant that Earth is ok and all of your squads survive. Not that Shepard survives, which seems more like an Easteregg with artificially high requirements.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rincewind posted:

Minor spoiler question:

How many of those neat dream sequences are there? I like 'em, they're very Deadly Premonition-esque.

The last one with Shep seeing herself with the kid was pretty much straight out of T2. Loved it for that reason alone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

I did that level on insanity with a vanguard with edi and javik as my squad because I felt bad about never using either of them.

I died about 50~ times before I beat it. Mostly to getting pinned between a turret and a grenade or just getting my head exploded the moment I tried to move from cover. So many turrets.

First run was on insanity. :shepface:

The turrets on the upper level are what kept killing me. I would hide in the doorway and peek out and shoot people and then I kept dying on my peeks eventually trying to figure out why.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm not sure why anyone had trouble in the atrium fight, wasn't there an Atlas right outside that you could use? Or am I thinking of a different fight?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rookoo posted:

Quick question guys, I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 on the PC, but have no access to any of the saves or games anymore. I got Mass Effect 3 for the console and I'd like to use a save from the masseffectsaves site, I downloaded it and converted it to a xbsav file with gibbed's editor. I looked up what to do next, and apparently modio is what you need to use, however, I can't get it to recognise the .xbsav file. What do I need to do?
Check the OP; there's a place where you can download saves that are probably decision-wise identical to what you completed the game on in the first 2. Change face, click start, charge into everything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TheSpiritFox posted:

Also you left something out

I dunno. I like exploding bullet pistol > charge as my way of killing everyone personally. Once I got exploding bullet pistol, I almost don't even need to carry a shotgun any more.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, more than anything, I don't get why Harbringer vanished. That dude was built up as the 'face' of the threat and you kill multiple reapers over the course of the game and none of them are him. Instead, you repeat Saren with the Illusive Man but without the possessed evil body. He shows up to shoot evil laser at you and then, welp, that's the end of that plotline.

Harby: Is the Reaper that kills off what's left of Hammer and nearly kills you. At least, that Reaper looks a lot like the one you talk to in Arrival.

That doesn't make it much better though. You'd think that he'd be extra thorough, being a Reaper and all, and seeing how basically they are a nightmare to even actually consider fighting on foot, of all things. Personally, I'd almost have preferred it if Shepard was killed, full stop, because what the gently caress, it's a two kilometer tall walking space cuttlefish that fires death lasers. I don't care how awesome people THINK Shepard is, he/she is still more or less just a human, and the Reapers are just SLIGHTLY capable of killing those.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I'm not sure why anyone had trouble in the atrium fight, wasn't there an Atlas right outside that you could use? Or am I thinking of a different fight?

You're thinking of the next big fight after that. The fight everyone is talking about is the forced big room fight right before that one.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
The squadmate AI is terrible for the burst ARs-- they fire one bullet and duck back into cover. They go wild with the Raptor and Revenant, however.

Blue Kazoo
Feb 24, 2006

scuz posted:

Check the OP; there's a place where you can download saves that are probably decision-wise identical to what you completed the game on in the first 2. Change face, click start, charge into everything.

These saves don't work on an xbox though right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Harby: Is the Reaper that kills off what's left of Hammer and nearly kills you. At least, that Reaper looks a lot like the one you talk to in Arrival.

That doesn't make it much better though. You'd think that he'd be extra thorough, being a Reaper and all, and seeing how basically they are a nightmare to even actually consider fighting on foot, of all things. Personally, I'd almost have preferred it if Shepard was killed, full stop, because what the gently caress, it's a two kilometer tall walking space cuttlefish that fires death lasers. I don't care how awesome people THINK Shepard is, he/she is still more or less just a human, and the Reapers are just SLIGHTLY capable of killing those.

Oh, I know. That is what I meant about evil laser. It's very weird to bring it back to... blast Shepard with a laser and then leave without even speaking. He was the face of the Reapers besides Soverign and he tormented you throughout all of ME2. You'd think he would have shown up as the Reaper you fight one-on-one or something. He's the closest the series has to a named villain aside from maybe The Illusive Man (who was just another Saren-style pawn.)

I really feel like they had some kind of boss battle planned there and ran out of time. It would have made a lot more sense for Shepard to do something crazy and almost die but kill Harbinger and then limp into the portal than for Shepard to be shot full-on with a death laser and survive with his/her armor blown off somehow.

That also neatly satisfies the requirements for having an actual final fight instead of the last fight being a long survival round.

Edit: Honestly, it feels to me like he REALLY should have been the guy you kill with the laser pointer. Shepard facing him down one-on-one and then defeating him with the combined firepower of all her friends and allies is nice and thematic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 9, 2012

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Crows Turn Off posted:

Anyone buy Mass Effect: Infiltrator for the iOS? I had left-over points on my iTunes account, so I gave it a whirl. It's actually pretty decent and the controls work better than I thought they would. It seems to have high production values (like actual spoken dialogue). It's a few hours long, which might be steep for the price.

However, the cool thing is that you collect Intel throughout the game. You can upload this Intel to Galaxy at War, which ups your Readiness percentage (similar to multiplayer). It's great for days like today when I won't be home to play Mass Effect 3, so I don't have to worry about my Readiness dropping that whole percentage point! :v: And once you beat it, you can upload the character into Galaxy at War as a war asset (I think he's worth 40 points, I don't remember exactly).

I'm playing New Game+ right now, and I wonder if I can upload the character again.

I downloaded it but I haven't played much. How long is the whole thing?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm surprised people aren't on board with sniper rifles. I'm pretty much using one exclusively at this point with my Sentinel Shep. Great for armor, I have overload for shielded units, and with upgrades, it holds 21 bullets,which is more than enough for a battle that you can ammo up after.

The only lovely thing is walking around with it not reloaded because I interrupted the reload and Shep decides to NEVER RELOAD AGAIN.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Regarding Harbinger: One possible branch that could've been really awesome is if Harbinger kills Shep, but Shep's squadmates then carry on (like the Joker sequence in ME2) to finish the mission. This would've been a great little homily about how Shepard's power is as much about inspiring others, even in death, as anything else.

I don't think it would've worked as the only branch, but it would be one neat wrinkle as a possible ending.

In fact, holy poo poo it would've been awesome if you had to choose between sacrificing a bunch of war assets/squadmates to tie Harbinger down, or using yourself as bait since he's obsessed with you. God I would've killed to get that choice in the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm surprised people aren't on board with sniper rifles. I'm pretty much using one exclusively at this point with my Sentinel Shep. Great for armor, I have overload for shielded units, and with upgrades, it holds 21 bullets,which is more than enough for a battle that you can ammo up after.

The only lovely thing is walking around with it not reloaded because I interrupted the reload and Shep decides to NEVER RELOAD AGAIN.

Sniper rifles are awesome. I finally got the Black Widow for my Infiltrator and it feels like I'm playing on Casual or something. I can two shot Harvesters, it's just insane.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Darko posted:

You're thinking of the next big fight after that. The fight everyone is talking about is the forced big room fight right before that one.

Hmm, I had no trouble with that fight, but I play a vanguard, so I spent most of that fight in a blurry blue haze.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Missed this on my first playthrough, but just bumped into Kirrahe, and he promised to lead a team in the defense of Earth as a returned favour for saving his men on Virmire :buddy:. The best thing about this game is seeing those old faces, I wish they played a bigger role though. Having them as temp squad mates would have been grand.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Blue Kazoo posted:

These saves don't work on an xbox though right?

Here's the page on that sort of thing: http://masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
Is the $200,000 spectre shotgun worth the purchase price? I wound up rolling with the Scimitar (AKA Michael Flatley's Lord of The Shotguns) pretty much exclusively during my vanguard playthrough but I'm wondering if it's worth saving the big pile of space ducats for it on another playthrough.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've been trying to avoid as many spoilers as possible so forgive me for probably repeating this question. So, is this game another DA 2 or did Bioware do good?

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

scuz posted:

I got that part, but you can't just shove the .xbsav file onto a memory stick and have it work unfortunately, and I can't get modio (Which I gather is what you usually use for this kind of situation) to recognise the file.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Verloc posted:

Is the $200,000 spectre shotgun worth the purchase price? I wound up rolling with the Scimitar (AKA Michael Flatley's Lord of The Shotguns) pretty much exclusively during my vanguard playthrough but I'm wondering if it's worth saving the big pile of space ducats for it on another playthrough.

It's honestly a lot of fun. Only two shots per reload, but (when fully upgraded) they're insanely powerful and quite accurate, and they have this great silenced sound effect. You can pretend you're Anton Chigurh and all the Reapers are Llewelyn Moss.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've been trying to avoid as many spoilers as possible so forgive me for probably repeating this question. So, is this game another DA 2 or did Bioware do good?

It's a great loving game with the worst ending of all time. Absolutely worth playing because everything except the ending and the stupid fan service is pretty brilliant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It is good until the last 10 minutes when it dives into sub-DA2 territory. So as long as you're okay with that, it's fine. It has problems but they're mostly the same problems as ME2.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I can see why the atrium battle is found to be difficult...I tried it no fewer than 5 times before I found what makes it easy mode. In retrospect, it's damned obvious.

The main thing that killed me wasn't the atlas or the guys coming up the stairs. It was the guys on the upper walkways able to hit me even in cover, which screwed up my shield regen at best or just outright murdered me.

The answer? When you go in, break right and sprint up the stairs/ramp to the top floor and take the high ground. You're now able to shoot down into the cerberus trying to take cover, you have great cover yourself, and the atlas can't shoot you. There are only a handful of enemies that "spawn" on the upper levels, so you can clear them out easily, feel free to even melee them since you'll be back some and out of direct fire.

Pt 2 is a bit trickier, but remember that the door you came from doesn't lock, so you have safe cover if you need to fall back at any point.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Verloc posted:

An upgraded Disciple shotgun is probably my favorite. Stupidly accurate, lightweight and tends to stagger most regular enemies consistently. It is The Best for Vanguards who like charging things all the time, since the weight benefits your cooldowns the most. That and the thing is a headshot machine with a smart choke.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

Verloc posted:

Dunno about the spectre shotgun, but the spike thrower is pretty badass. You get 3 shots before a reload, and each shot can be charged. Things just die.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

fivegears4reverse posted:

An upgraded Disciple shotgun is probably my favorite. Stupidly accurate, lightweight and tends to stagger most regular enemies consistently. It is The Best for Vanguards who like charging things all the time, since the weight benefits your cooldowns the most. That and the thing is a headshot machine with a smart choke.

Seconding the disciple love. It's almost weightless.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

The fully upgraded Geth Shotgun is pretty badass imo and you can charge it

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Verloc posted:

I loved it, it is a Widow with a bit less damage, a rather big magazine and 3 shots before reloading. If you intend to spend your time mostly sniping it is great, since you get the real Widow quite late in game (and the reload after each shot nearly makes up for the improved damage).

Edit:Argh, Misread it as sniper rifle not shotgun. No, the shotgun isn't worth the money invested.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

NOBEARD posted:

Dunno about the spectre shotgun, but the spike thrower is pretty badass. You get 3 shots before a reload, and each shot can be charged. Things just die.
The spike thrower is loving awesome, any gun where "user is eaten alive by a thresher maw" is a primary design consideration is :black101: as gently caress. The problem is the weight is just murderous on my recharge time. I'll look into the disciple though, anything that helps with the Vanguard ABCs is welcome.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

Verloc posted:

The spike thrower is loving awesome, any gun where "user is eaten alive by a thresher maw" is a primary design consideration is :black101: as gently caress. The problem is the weight is just murderous on my recharge time. I'll look into the disciple though, anything that helps with the Vanguard ABCs is welcome.

Never thought about the weight, but I started using it pretty late game so I already had ridiculously fast cooldown time and the extra weight didn't really matter :v:

Blue Kazoo
Feb 24, 2006

scuz posted:

Here's the page on that sort of thing: http://masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php

Thanks for this, but this doesn't really apply to my situation if I'm not mistaken. I have an Xbox 360 but no previous saves from ME1 or ME2. This website appears to offer PC saves, which cannot be downloaded to an Xbox (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HAmbONE posted:

8. Bring back mining...how you changed the system in a way that makes me look back to ME2 system and miss it is a loving feat. A feat that should never be replicated and people should be fired.

I want you to be shot, quarted, then raped by hitler in every orifice for thinking this. Mining was loving awful.

• Locked thread