Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Endings were poo poo. I don't normally get mad at video games, but I feel rather cheated after so many years and three games with so much character investment.

I might draw a happy group picture of all my human and alien buddies spilling drinks and getting loud on the Citadel. Should be therapeutic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
The salt in the wound is that they managed to do it in pretty much the last couple minutes of the game.

Anyone up for doing some MP on pc? I'm on origin as Aenslaed_ea.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
For what it's worth, Gamefront is backing IGN on the "NG+ secret ending" thing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What is the point of no return?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Attack on TIM's base

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There are a lot of points of no return, but the last one is cerebus base, after sanctuary. No return in the sense that there are time sensitive missions and plot points to do.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Aenslaed posted:

There are a lot of points of no return, but the last one is Sanctuary

Decius posted:

Attack on TIM's base

Welp time to do this sidequest I have left then beat the game then.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dolash posted:

You're still totally underselling the danger of AI over the long term. A couple instances of beating AI (never mind that the Geth can come out of their war as the strong victors) is not evidence that over the billions of years of civilization that would follow, some AI wouldn't rise to replace organic life then exterminate life from every planet just to be safe. The Reapers tend to organic life, the whole, by destroying the advanced races that threaten the rest. If your goal is to preserve the existence of organic life without caring about the particulars for as long as possible, it's a solid plan - again, at least until Shepard proves that sooner or later organics can beat the Reapers, then the plan has to change.

See, I'm not.

Your point is, the Reapers believe in the longterm that this is the only way, that the only way for organics to survive is if they come and cull everyone every few years.

And you know what, if I wanted to believe Bioware was actually capable of writing intent into forces and not showing it, I'd probably believe that, but I don't so I'm guessing thats a mistake that we see that.

My issue though has nothing to do with the cull itself, or that the Reapers believe it has to be done to save the organics. My issue is that its a very dumb cycle.

One of the major plot points of 1, 2 and a minor plot point in 3 is that the Reapers are the ones who built our tech, and set it up so that we'd grow using this style of tech, so we'd be easier to beat. This is a huge point against the Base in 2, if we use it, we are just using more Reaper tech. But if they built our tech, why didn't they just change it so organics would never develop AI.

Instead, they way the game presents it, since these two plot points are just there, is that the Reapers push organics to build AI, so that the Reapers can cull the organics to protect them from the AI they built. Its extremely circular and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and thats the biggest issue I have with it.

To use your Cold War example, lets say aliens gave us the tools to make Nukes, and then a few years later, came back and killed every nation but Africa to protect humanity from the danger of Nukes. Its nonsensical.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Holy poo poo the dlc squadmate is funny as hell. The lizard people? They use to eat flys .

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Does anyone have a list of "correct" choices you should be making between ME1 and 2 so you can get the best possible import for ME3?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh look who I ran into again on Jacob's mission: Dr. loving Archer. At least he feels remorse now.

Jarmel
Feb 18, 2012

CaptainCarrot posted:

This is definitely becoming a gaming myth equal to the keeping Aeris alive rumor back in the day.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rookersh posted:

See, I'm not.

Your point is, the Reapers believe in the longterm that this is the only way, that the only way for organics to survive is if they come and cull everyone every few years.

And you know what, if I wanted to believe Bioware was actually capable of writing intent into forces and not showing it, I'd probably believe that, but I don't so I'm guessing thats a mistake that we see that.

My issue though has nothing to do with the cull itself, or that the Reapers believe it has to be done to save the organics. My issue is that its a very dumb cycle.

One of the major plot points of 1, 2 and a minor plot point in 3 is that the Reapers are the ones who built our tech, and set it up so that we'd grow using this style of tech, so we'd be easier to beat. This is a huge point against the Base in 2, if we use it, we are just using more Reaper tech. But if they built our tech, why didn't they just change it so organics would never develop AI.

Instead, they way the game presents it, since these two plot points are just there, is that the Reapers push organics to build AI, so that the Reapers can cull the organics to protect them from the AI they built. Its extremely circular and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and thats the biggest issue I have with it.

To use your Cold War example, lets say aliens gave us the tools to make Nukes, and then a few years later, came back and killed every nation but Africa to protect humanity from the danger of Nukes. Its nonsensical.

It's not any more nonsensical than trying to solve the Dark Energy issue by allowing races to propagate it and potentially develop methods to save themselves from being Reaper'd.

Both are full of holes, and the argument for either purpose really just boils down to which form of bullshit you're willing to swallow.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 9, 2012

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I bought the shotgun at the Spectre shop and loved it. I could carry that, an SMG, and the Carnifex and I had about a bonus of %175 percent recharge. You can get the damage really up there.

I have no idea why you'd want to heavy melee instead of use the shotgun according to that new flowchart. Heavy melee isn't as strong, has a windup time, and you still get the time dilation to line up shots after charging.

For brutes, I'd say charge-nova-rollback-charge-nova-etc. is a better strategy. But you don't always want to nova in groups.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So according to Gamespot the "fish required for best ending" thing is TRUE!?!?!?!?

Goddrat BioWare, that's Sierra-level hatred of your players. I'm suitably impressed if it's true.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jarmel posted:

This is definitely becoming a gaming myth equal to the keeping Aeris alive rumor back in the day.

So the ending happens when Aeris and General Leo unite to fight Ben the ghost kid from the Majora Mask cart and his reaper master?

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh look who I ran into again on Jacob's mission: Dr. loving Archer. At least he feels remorse now.

Does he do the galaxy a favor and take a suicide pill or bullet/does Cerberus find and put a bullet in him/does he somehow provoke Shepard to renegade-kill him in some other way? He seemed designed from the ground up to get people to cry out for his blood in a series where that has definitely been done for less by -someone-.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Ideally you nova while rolling back, so you don't do damage but also don't expend your barrier, staying invulnerable for those frames.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

So according to Gamespot the "fish required for best ending" thing is TRUE!?!?!?!?

Goddrat BioWare, that's Sierra-level hatred of your players. I'm suitably impressed if it's true.

Wasn't that rumor started because of a joke that Tank made?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Pejak paddle fish just net you an upgrade from the Hanar Illuminated Primacy that's it IIRC

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

deepshock posted:

Does he do the galaxy a favor and take a suicide pill or bullet/does Cerberus find and put a bullet in him/does he somehow provoke Shepard to renegade-kill him in some other way? He seemed designed from the ground up to get people to cry out for his blood in a series where that has definitely been done for less by -someone-.

No, but at least he's working with ex-Cerberus scientists to atone for what he did. If it makes you feel better, Shepard is a complete dick the whole time.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

CaptainCarrot posted:

These people are loving retarded, I don't see any reason to trust them:

GameFront posted:

"The Readiness Rating works with a simple algorithm. A 50% Readiness Rating multiplies your Total Military Strength score by .5%."

HappyKittens
Feb 4, 2012

by angerbutt

CaptainCarrot posted:

Are we sure that this is not a joke

"For the special “Perfect” ending you’ll need to replay ME3 with the New Game+ option. In the second playthrough, collectible models and fish reward you with extra War Assets that increase your War Assets, which in turn increases your EMS (Effective Military Strength) score. That means you’ll want to invest in a Fish-Feeding VI.
"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

deepshock posted:

You can't kill/punch/pistol-whip him again but you pretty much make clear you think he's a terrible piece of poo poo excuse for a human being, and apparently he knows it already. Which was nice.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

DrNutt posted:

No, but at least he's working with ex-Cerberus scientists to atone for what he did. If it makes you feel better, Shepard is a complete dick the whole time.

It's not even that. I tend not to get extremely emotionally attached to characters in a game to where it affects me that personally. I'm just curious because of the kind of character he is and how aggressively irredeemable they wrote him in ME2 as. Thanks for answering the question though. He was pretty dedicated to his screwed-up work because he thought he was saving the Geth, and even before (Shepard took him to Grissom Academy/Whatever the renegade equivalent is), he basically admits that it's unethical and David's death in it would be unforgivable. Isn't the primary impetus for his change of heart the fact that David was now gone from him (either dead as a Renegade presumably, or taken to Grissom as Paragon), and seeing him no longer in his 'custody' led him to give up on the very idea of the task and see it for the horror it was? I do admit the complete verbal destruction that Shepard does is every bit as poignant. That's pretty cool, yeah.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 10, 2012

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

HappyKittens posted:

"For the special “Perfect” ending you’ll need to replay ME3 with the New Game+ option. In the second playthrough, collectible models and fish reward you with extra War Assets that increase your War Assets, which in turn increases your EMS (Effective Military Strength) score. That means you’ll want to invest in a Fish-Feeding VI.
"

Ah, wait, they're full of poo poo.

quote:

Hidden after the credits is one final moment, but it takes dedication and commitment to uncover this last slice of finale from Mass Effect 3. Learn how to get the final ending moment below to truly complete this massive game.
The N7-gasp scene does not require any of what they claimed except the high warscore.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
I have like 15 hours in this game, and it feels really linear. By this time in ME2 I had a dozen quests all over the galaxy, but now there is like 5 and they all take place on the citadel. Does it ever get better then that or remain just as linear?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Jarmel posted:

Not only that, but the guide makes no sense. Several points outright contradict each other, and it is not possible to get he 'maximum' Effectiveness Score playing offline only. To get the best ending you need 5000+ but with a multiplier of 50% you'd need 10,000 in assets to get it; during my playthough where I did pretty much every thing and saved every one my assets were only around 7,200.

What pisses me off most is I lost 1% in readiness due to time lapsing and ended the game with 4,984 EMS. So now I get to play a match and then do the whole ending sequence all over again to see what I missed.

And while on the topic of endings: I don't mind that they are all dark, it's just that they don't make sense. I'm either missing something or they are, in fact, really poorly explained. It also doesn't help that there are some glaring continuity errors. Joker doesn't seem to mind that EDI gets magically erased, also, while members of the crew get off the ship at the end, Vega, who was with me and Garrus as we got vaporized at the beam, is some how alive and on the Normandy.

Seriously, this game is absolutely amazing but god drat the ending leaves a lot to be desired. An epilogue to explain what the gently caress is going on would be great, and some recap and closure (ala Fallout 1&2) would also come in handy so we can see how things played out.

It also seems like there a lot of things left unresolved or explored at the end. So many plots just left hanging, so many characters that just go away once they served a purpose. Again, fantastic game (BioWare really seems to have learned a lot since ME and KotOR) but holy poo poo, this game doesn't have an ending, it just... stops.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Forgive me if I missed something but about the endings. I'm pretty sure in the control ending the Relays don't explode. (or at least the citadel doesn't.) This leads me to the conclusion that TIM was right.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HappyKittens posted:

"

I hope/wish it's true. Not because there's a better ending, but because I (very occasionally) miss the old Roberta Williams-style of malicious cruelty to players.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Why are the Mass Effect 3 servers down? How does that happen? Why should the servers being down stop me from loading my single player game?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

JaundiceDave posted:

so, this is the biggest renegade thing you can do on tuchanka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1FAxiUAoo

who would do this, honestly. i mean come on

I clicked this felt like whoever was doing that run through was a complete tool, then I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_DKScSMoOk&feature=related

Holy loving poo poo is this the best way they can shoe horn in all the stuff that was ME1 busy work? "Oh yay I'm super expert in just the field you need help in, oh no I need (insert fetch quest item here) in order to translate." "Well good thing I still have these stored away on my arm holo computer, yay now it will work, oh no but we need (specific item here) in order to fully unlock it." "Yep totally got you covered on that part." There is no :psyboom: large enough.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I'm pretty sure there isn't a secret ending. You just need to have at least 5000 war score to have the option to have every possible (good) ending. At 3000+ warscore Shepard gets the standard trio of endings if he saves Anderson from the Illusive man (Anderson dies anyway).

With 4000 warscore Shepard has the option to survive if he saved Anderson and chose the "Destroy all Synthetics" ending. With 5000 warscore Shepard survives regardless of whether Anderson lives or dies and the destroy ending is chosen.

The only problem is to get 4000 or 5000 warscore you MUST improve your readiness score, it's impossible otherwise.

Other than that the only difference it makes is Shepard's survival.

As for which ending I decided upon as my "Canon" ending I chose to destroy the reapers. The reason I did this was because I thought that we should just let the galaxy run its natural course. If synthetics are meant to destroy all organic life then so be it. It would simply be evolution. However if after so many mass murders and cullings an organic species was able to against all odds surpass a force as powerful as the reapers then surely they can handle a bunch of upstart AIs.

The controlling the reapers ending made little sense to me. What exactly do you achieve by changing the Reapers operating algorithms? All you do is make them stop attacking humanity but it doesn't solve anything short of using reaper resources to destroy any upstart AI that tries to overthrow organic life. But the Reapers should've been doing that in the first place. All in all this ending made the least sense given what the reapers COULD have been doing.

Meanwhile merging everyone into some techno-organic ubermensch didn't sit well with me. I think that's a decision we have to make collectively as a species rather than having it forced on us by Shepard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are the endings really that bad? I saw some of the leaked endings from the script and they were lame but not embarrassing. What happened?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jiro posted:

I clicked this felt like whoever was doing that run through was a complete tool, then I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_DKScSMoOk&feature=related

Holy loving poo poo is this the best way they can shoe horn in all the stuff that was ME1 busy work? "Oh yay I'm super expert in just the field you need help in, oh no I need (insert fetch quest item here) in order to translate." "Well good thing I still have these stored away on my arm holo computer, yay now it will work, oh no but we need (specific item here) in order to fully unlock it." "Yep totally got you covered on that part." There is no :psyboom: large enough.

Oh come on, that entire sequence was obviously written as self-parody.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are the endings really that bad? I saw some of the leaked endings from the script and they were lame but not embarrassing. What happened?

They render nearly every decision you make in the game completely pointless and screw over most of the characters you came to know (and possibly like). So yeah, that bad.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Someguy posted:

I have like 15 hours in this game, and it feels really linear. By this time in ME2 I had a dozen quests all over the galaxy, but now there is like 5 and they all take place on the citadel. Does it ever get better then that or remain just as linear?

Keep talking to people/walking around and listening to conversations. I had maybe 25+ side missions. Although I do miss finding random bases on planets in ME2.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Out of curiosity how did they retcon the fallout 3 ending with the DLC?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I like how desperate people are for a good ending that they're willing to believe there's some super secret double dog war readiness max NG+ REALLY REAL CANON ENDING. If that doesn't say anything I don't know what does.

So anyway I had an idea bout that ending: I wonder if it would have been improved if they removed the expository-but-not-really ghost kid altogether. Instead, Shepard, half dead, is taken to a room with three paths, and with no clue as to what any of it means, and can only stumble one way or the other, triggering one of the three disasters without intending to or knowing, simply moving without anything to go on. It seemed like the endings wanted you to feel that you have been raised to a galactic perspective well beyond what you were meant for or can properly respond to, especially after going through a shell-shocked run through a warzone.

It kind of reminds me of 2001, where Dave Bowman was just trying to survive a very real and direct threat to his life, and in doing so falls into this cosmic chain of events far beyond his understanding, and he can only endure the entire ride without knowing what it was about. Maybe ME3 was trying to accomplish the same thing, but where it failed (one of the areas it failed, because the ending would still suck even with my suggestion) is that it puts a holographic god-child there to explain everything in a hamfisted and unsatisfactory way and leaves you no way to refute him. The Monolith in 2001 didn't pop out a dream vision that said "hey you're gonna ascend to the next stage of evolution, which is a big star baby", events just unfolded out of the control of the human subjected to them. I think it would be pretty interesting if Shepard weren't given any explanation, but is instead given 3 choices without any forewarning. No mention of some stupid cycle. Shepard is a human, as far from the Reapers as a cockroach is from humanity, and any hope of comprehending them is meaningless. The only thing to be done is to strike out blindly and hope for the best because nobody is around to explain anything. Shepard is given all the responsibility without any hope or guidance.

That ending still sucks, but drat that holokid was kinda dumb and I kind of prefer a "gently caress you, you don't get an explanation" ending to the explanation given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

Out of curiosity how did they retcon the fallout 3 ending with the DLC?

Not very. They added in an extra dialogue option and a new slide to mitigate its very dumbest aspect. Probably took all of an hour to code.

• Locked thread