Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

My sled - the best form factor car I've ever owned - massive cargo space, massive sunroof, massive seating. Selling soon and I'm kind of going to miss her :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sockington posted:

Putting headlights in the oven is fine. Just make sure it's turned down as low as it will go.

My "blacked out" headlights vs. stock.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

this is loving awesome

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

nattrass posted:

1995 Celica GT-Four jap import. 300bhp, volk te37's. Goes pretty well, wank tyres though (avon zz1, NEVER buy these tyres). Original skirts, TRD front and rear spats.

is that 300bhp at the flywheel or whp? If its whp you must have ditched the ct20, or if its flywheel you must be upping the boost?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Love that movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon_Queen_Family_Truckster

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Idiot race posted:

is that 300bhp at the flywheel or whp? If its whp you must have ditched the ct20, or if its flywheel you must be upping the boost?

Bhp means brake horsepower, as opposed to wheel hp, so he means at the crank.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

davebo posted:

Well if we're doing our cars next to our boss's here's mine on the left, his on right:

Edit: both automatics :P

He's not my boss. He actually makes less than I do but his wife is loaded.

Method Loser posted:

hokey well it's upgrade time for my Z.

this is my car:

It's time for it to make more power. It's making about 390whp or so currently, which I find isn't enough. I'm looking to add more power, and I'm torn. I really want 600whp or so, but I feel that may destroy how fun the car is to drive, and make it less fun-fast and more frightening-fast. Also the required turbos to do such a thing may spool later than I want, whereas if I aim lower, I can use something somewhat smaller. What do other people think? Should I aim lower? 500 or 550 to the wheels? What would YOU do?

Mine was dynoed at 385whp on stock turbos and fuel system at 16 pounds of boost on 93 octane. That was the upper max limit of the stock turbos. The z32 is nice in that even if you literally only upgrade the turbos and injectors you can throw down another 100hp like the car came that way. If I were in your shoes I'd install some 1000cc injectors, get a pair of GT535r's, tune it a little, and call it a day at 500whp for $3000. I know you know that the stock bottom end and valvetrain can take upwards of 800hp on a good tune. For me to make comparable power in my s2k it is going to cost me $8k-$10k. gently caress.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_16&products_id=3084

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 8, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Paul Boz_ posted:

He's not my boss. He actually makes less than I do but his wife is loaded.

Ahh my bad, you clearly said co-worker, but your car next to a red one just reminded me so much of that photo I had taken years prior just subconsciously linked the two.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was just playing pool with a friend tonight and the tv was on AMC where National Lampoon's Vacation was near the end, then it ended and started playing again! How different would that movie have been if they had gotten the blue sportwagon Clark originally ordered?

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012
Cool to see a lot of car enthusiasts on the forum.

Here's my toy (only exhaust on it as I don't want to void the warranty):

And the daily driver (unstoppable in the snow):

PS. Davebo, if that's a pewter C5, I use to have the same car -threw nitrous on that one :)

Worthington fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 8, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Awesome--orange is the best sports car color IMHO. Red is too racey. Yellow is too :gay:. Black and white are too dirty. Silver is too boring. Orange is juuuust right. Blue is also acceptable.

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Awesome--orange is the best sports car color IMHO. Red is too racey. Yellow is too :gay:. Black and white are too dirty. Silver is too boring. Orange is juuuust right. Blue is also acceptable.

Thanks Mod; oddly enough I was looking for black but really liked this one when I saw it. Silver, while boring sure hides dirt well though -which is nice for those of us who live in Wa and don't garage ours all year.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Bhp means brake horsepower, as opposed to wheel hp, so he means at the crank.

The term brake horse power comes from using the old Clayton type dynos that actually used a brake to slow the engine/wheels down and determine the power. It doesn't have anything to do with measuring the flywheel or drive wheels.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Worthington posted:

And the daily driver (unstoppable in the snow):

PS. Davebo, if that's a pewter C5, I use to have the same car -threw nitrous on that one :)

Did you perform a suspension lift on your Audi? :stare:

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Thanks, but I think I'm gonna end up going a little bigger than those, probably the 600R or the 675RS. Since all I'm going to be doing for real is swapping the turbos and injectors anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll want more than another 100hp. I already have everything I'd need otherwise, so why not go bigger. Good advice, though, and yeah, it's simple to get power out of these cars.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

Idiot race posted:

Yup, 311.6 at the flywheel. Running 1.1bar on a blitz EBC.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Method Loser posted:

Thanks, but I think I'm gonna end up going a little bigger than those, probably the 600R or the 675RS. Since all I'm going to be doing for real is swapping the turbos and injectors anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll want more than another 100hp. I already have everything I'd need otherwise, so why not go bigger. Good advice, though, and yeah, it's simple to get power out of these cars.

I only suggested the 500 series turbos because you said you wanted to make 500+whp but was concerned about spool time and powerband usability. If you want 600+whp you're going to sacrifice usability. Also you start getting into dual MAF land and all that comes with standalone EMS. Also, for what it's worth I'm buying a lot of the stuff I need to boost my s2000 from Z1. I've got a great relationship with those guys from keeping my Z alive and their prices are pretty drat good compared to the insane Honda vendors.

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

Wamsutta posted:

Did you perform a suspension lift on your Audi? :stare:

Lol, no but you have a very valid point.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Worthington posted:

It's actually the Sebring Silver, which you're right doesn't show dirt well. That doesn't really matter though since I do keep it garaged and don't drive it if there's a chance of rain (has summer tires on rear wheels) It's also automatic as I've mentioned. I really just sort of lucked into it on ebay 9 years ago from a guy who lived ten minutes from me. Ideally I'd have a manual with a bolder color but I'm not really in the market for a new Corvette, nor will I ever be I'm afraid, and I just had the brake calipers powder coated so I don't even want to bother trying to get rid of it anytime soon. You mentioned you had exhaust put on yours. I love the Corsa exhaust with the tiger tips I had put on mine, is that what you went for or something else? Also does anyone have an idea if the C7 will go back to flip-up headlights?

My daily driver on the other hand is black and always dirty. I've had that ten and a half years now, has broken a/c and I'd love to replace it with something new. Problem is I'd like a wagon for my work gear and all I read about are underpowered wagons that only get sold in Europe :argh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Method Loser posted:

It's not exactly a CRX sizewise you know. also if you want to get technical about it autos are far superior for quarter mile runs, but this car is for enjoying driving around the street, so manual it was (and is)

Pay no attention to him. He usually gets chased out of any thread he posts in.

Love the car. Reminds me of the white one that belonged to one of the editors and SCC way back when. Kojima I think it was?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Billy Tully posted:

The term brake horse power comes from using the old Clayton type dynos that actually used a brake to slow the engine/wheels down and determine the power. It doesn't have anything to do with measuring the flywheel or drive wheels.

You are correct, and I stand corrected. To make up for it, have an autumn-time picture of most of my fleet. The cars in this picture have 1350hp combined.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The cars in this picture have 1350hp combined.

Now, combine them all in to one car :black101:

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Paul Boz_ posted:

I only suggested the 500 series turbos because you said you wanted to make 500+whp but was concerned about spool time and powerband usability. If you want 600+whp you're going to sacrifice usability. Also you start getting into dual MAF land and all that comes with standalone EMS. Also, for what it's worth I'm buying a lot of the stuff I need to boost my s2000 from Z1. I've got a great relationship with those guys from keeping my Z alive and their prices are pretty drat good compared to the insane Honda vendors.

Yeah, I appreciate it. Yeah, John at Z1 is a cool dude. I'm just thinking that I can sacrifice SOME drivability, so that's why I'm eyefucking the 600s. I mean, I'm used to it having a 7lbs clutch/7lbs flywheel from OS Giken, so I can deal with some hardships, I am more looking for a nice smooth torque curve, I don't want any traction-destroying, pants-ruining poo poo like a 300hp jump in 700rpm, but looking at the dyno they have up for the 675s, it looks pretty smooth, so I think I'll be okay. Thanks for the advice, though!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pay no attention to him. He usually gets chased out of any thread he posts in.

Love the car. Reminds me of the white one that belonged to one of the editors and SCC way back when. Kojima I think it was?

Seems pretty retarded. But yeah, my front fascia is, I believe, the OEM JDM bit from a '99, so it's not too much out there. The sides/rear fascia are, uh, gently caress, I forget already who made them. Regardless, I don't think they're obnoxious. Also, '99 JDM taillights! I really like how they made the cars look their last model year, as you can see. Thanks for the compliment.

These cars are definitely geared all silly-like. 70-something mph in second? Sure! However, it should make it easier to drive with a whole shitload of power, as I plan, so there's that.

edit: hey, bonus picture of sad semi-disassembled 300ZX, before the body poo poo got finished: (lookit that cute SMIC! they're atually pretty big, all things considered)

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 9, 2012

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

davebo posted:

It's actually the Sebring Silver, which you're right doesn't show dirt well. That doesn't really matter though since I do keep it garaged and don't drive it if there's a chance of rain (has summer tires on rear wheels) It's also automatic as I've mentioned. I really just sort of lucked into it on ebay 9 years ago from a guy who lived ten minutes from me. Ideally I'd have a manual with a bolder color but I'm not really in the market for a new Corvette, nor will I ever be I'm afraid, and I just had the brake calipers powder coated so I don't even want to bother trying to get rid of it anytime soon. You mentioned you had exhaust put on yours. I love the Corsa exhaust with the tiger tips I had put on mine, is that what you went for or something else? Also does anyone have an idea if the C7 will go back to flip-up headlights?

My daily driver on the other hand is black and always dirty. I've had that ten and a half years now, has broken a/c and I'd love to replace it with something new. Problem is I'd like a wagon for my work gear and all I read about are underpowered wagons that only get sold in Europe :argh:

Hey Dave,

I'm a horrible vette driver, I drive mine in the rain fairly often -but living in the Northwest you'll never drive it unless you are willing to.

Congrats on the brakes, I think that's a great looking mod! I still need to do that myself. I actually went with a flowmaster on this one -I had another C6 friend that was selling his second set for a steal. The drone is pretty bad on the flowmaster under 2k RPMs, I'm probably going to dynamatt it soon and see if that fixes it.

As for the C7, too much speculation, we'll see what it looks like. I'm not looking forward to the depreciation hit we'll get when it comes out though!

Have you had yours out to the track yet?

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

Method Loser posted:

Yeah, I appreciate it. Yeah, John at Z1 is a cool dude. I'm just thinking that I can sacrifice SOME drivability, so that's why I'm eyefucking the 600s. I mean, I'm used to it having a 7lbs clutch/7lbs flywheel from OS Giken, so I can deal with some hardships, I am more looking for a nice smooth torque curve, I don't want any traction-destroying, pants-ruining poo poo like a 300hp jump in 700rpm, but looking at the dyno they have up for the 675s, it looks pretty smooth, so I think I'll be okay. Thanks for the advice, though!

Seems pretty retarded. But yeah, my front fascia is, I believe, the OEM JDM bit from a '99, so it's not too much out there. The sides/rear fascia are, uh, gently caress, I forget already who made them. Regardless, I don't think they're obnoxious. Also, '99 JDM taillights! I really like how they made the cars look their last model year, as you can see. Thanks for the compliment.

These cars are definitely geared all silly-like. 70-something mph in second? Sure! However, it should make it easier to drive with a whole shitload of power, as I plan, so there's that.

edit: hey, bonus picture of sad semi-disassembled 300ZX, before the body poo poo got finished: (lookit that cute SMIC! they're atually pretty big, all things considered)

Looks great Method! I was always a big fan of the 300s. You don't see many of them on the road anymore.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Spring is on the way. I cannot wait. (Last spring, but ran across these and got all excited again to go out in the woods again)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The way these pictures fit together was really confusing when I started at the bottom of the page.

It looks pretty much fine on the right. Then the top of your mirror looks like it got chopped off and has mud on it. Then I don't know what happened.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
And now it looks like I may go the route of an entirely new longblock with oversized pistons/better conrods/decent valvework/cams/etc etc, just for peace of mind. WHo knows what horrors my stock, 20 year old, 105k mile bottom end may have endured. Something about a fool and his money goes here, but goddamn I love this car.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Motronic posted:

The way these pictures fit together was really confusing when I started at the bottom of the page.

It looks pretty much fine on the right. Then the top of your mirror looks like it got chopped off and has mud on it. Then I don't know what happened.

Haha, I didn't even notice that at first

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I'm thinking of selling this...

2001 Audi S4 Avant

for this...

2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

Talk me into it, or tell me I'm an idiot. GO!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

azerdude32 posted:

I wondered if you were the dude on AZ, but I suppose there aren't going to be many cactus B5 S4 Avants going up for sale at the same time.

Personally, I think you're loving nuts. That B5 is amazing. I can't fathom owning anything but an Avant now that I've had mine for three years, but that's me. Have you driven a 500 Abarth?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

I wondered if you were the dude on AZ, but I suppose there aren't going to be many cactus B5 S4 Avants going up for sale at the same time.

Personally, I think you're loving nuts. That B5 is amazing. I can't fathom owning anything but an Avant now that I've had mine for three years, but that's me. Have you driven a 500 Abarth?

Yup, that's me! It's pretty easy to narrow it down, especially considering how many of the 14 owners are probably enthusiasts.

I feel like I'm nuts, but at the same time I feel like I want to do it. Or maybe it's an impulse thing. I don't really know. I'm so up in the air about letting it go because of how super unique it is. I also wanted an Avant since I realized how loving sweet they are

I have not driven an Abarth yet, apparently a dealer near me gets one this coming Friday. So in a way that day will ultimately decide the fate.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I trust Jack Baruth's reviews, and the 500 Abarth seems underwhelming, especially compared to your car.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DogDodger posted:

I trust Jack Baruth's reviews, and the 500 Abarth seems underwhelming, especially compared to your car.

The second he mentioned the SRT-4 in that review and basically called it a 500 SRT, I closed the window.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

azerdude32 posted:

I feel like I'm nuts, but at the same time I feel like I want to do it. Or maybe it's an impulse thing.

I think part of the missing information here is: do you actually NEED the space you are dragging around in the Avant. It's a sweet ride, and I'd happily drive one whether I needed the space or not. But if you need it, the Fiat is a non-starter.

If you don't need the space I can see where you're coming from. Just make sure you drive one first. With what you're driving now, you have reasonably high bar set. Make sure the Fiat is up to the task.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

azerdude32 posted:

The second he mentioned the SRT-4 in that review and basically called it a 500 SRT, I closed the window.
If it helps, the press coverage I've seen in the German-speaking press has been nothing but positive. I realize that the American 500 is slightly different, but it should still be an indicator. Plus our automotive press basically exists to fellate German car manufacturers, especially VW, and make everybody else look terrible, so if an Italian car gets good reviews that means something.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

azerdude32 posted:

16 times in one article and it's about a Fiat. Jesus.

yeah yeah I know Chrysler yadda yadda

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

azerdude32 posted:

2001 Audi S4 Avant

for this...

2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

I'm a giant BMW fanboy and I still wouldn't trade that Audi for anything. Easily one of the best looking ones ever made in a fantastic colour. Don't do it.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I can only assume the S4 is paid off, and I would think not having a car payment is a big plus.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

azerdude32 posted:

2001 Audi S4 Avant

for this...

2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

You're crazy! Keep the S4 Avant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Here comes the world's biggest multi-quote.... :words:

Motronic posted:

I think part of the missing information here is: do you actually NEED the space you are dragging around in the Avant. It's a sweet ride, and I'd happily drive one whether I needed the space or not. But if you need it, the Fiat is a non-starter.

If you don't need the space I can see where you're coming from. Just make sure you drive one first. With what you're driving now, you have reasonably high bar set. Make sure the Fiat is up to the task.

Here's the thing. I bought the S4 Avant becuase they look light years cooler/better than the sedan verison plus the "OMG you have a B5 S4 Avant" factor is pretty fun and neat. Yes, having the additional space is great, but I've only used it a hand full of times (honestly, I could count it on one hand). The space is great to have, if I ever need it.

Yes, the S4 sets the bar very high, and I definitely need to test drive the Abarth first. I'm just afraid if I switch, a week or so later I'll have buyers remorse.

parrhesia posted:

If it helps, the press coverage I've seen in the German-speaking press has been nothing but positive. I realize that the American 500 is slightly different, but it should still be an indicator. Plus our automotive press basically exists to fellate German car manufacturers, especially VW, and make everybody else look terrible, so if an Italian car gets good reviews that means something.

Yea, every other "review" I've read has said nothing but great things about our 'Murican Abarth. Something about that guy (from The Truth About Cars website) and his opinion didn't rub me the right way. It's as if he was purposely causing controversy to drive hits to his site or something. :raise:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

16 times in one article and it's about a Fiat. Jesus.

yeah yeah I know Chrysler yadda yadda

At least I'm not the only one who found it really ridiculous!

Crustashio posted:

I'm a giant BMW fanboy and I still wouldn't trade that Audi for anything. Easily one of the best looking ones ever made in a fantastic colour. Don't do it.

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot especially considering it's from a BMW fanboi haha. It's a very unique color to the Avant (only 14 B5 S4 Avants were brought to the US in this color) and it certianly looks very very nice in person. I walked out of the bank earlier and just stopped and stared at it for a while.

It's like I'm falling in and out of lust. :allears:

_firehawk posted:

I can only assume the S4 is paid off, and I would think not having a car payment is a big plus.

Oh absoletely! I got this car for an incredible steal, the dealer I got it from had no clue what they had in their hands. However, it does need some things (ie. cam seals, valve cover gaskets, ect) that are deterring me from keeping the car. Ever since I got it, it's been nothing but a classic example of a B5 money pit.

MetaJew posted:

You're crazy! Keep the S4 Avant.

I like to think I'm crazy and sane for even debating this :shobon: