Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
Yanno I know people are getting worked up about the ending and that's totally understandable. But I don't have the mental capacity to get too upset because oh my god this soundtrack is so good and I cannot stop listening to it. Say what you want about the plot, but the composers have consistently knocked it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

cranky pomme posted:

Yanno I know people are getting worked up about the ending and that's totally understandable. But I don't have the mental capacity to get too upset because oh my god this soundtrack is so good and I cannot stop listening to it. Say what you want about the plot, but the composers have consistently knocked it out of the park.

The only good thing about the endings is the music.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

DrNutt posted:

I'm not sure if it's a testament to the awfulness of the endings as given to players by BioWare, or the obtuseness of nearly everyone in this thread, but it's hilarious to me that people keep thinking of this as the "best" ending because Shepard can live.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Ending spoilers: I thought Synthesis was the best because everyone and everything becomes synthetic-organic and Shepard becomes the matrix and all of that is pretty loving awesome. I know it doesn't make thematic sense and it actually screws over everyone (Sorry Tali and Wrex!) and makes all choices completely irrelevant, but whatever! You're all not-robots now, enjoy.

Granted, I don't have as much invested in this series or its characters as some people.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just did the mission to rescue the krogran scouts. Had a little something in my eye when Grunt rushed in to hold the ravagers off because I thought he was going to die but grinned like a madman when he came stumbling up covered in blood.

This game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

The only good thing about the endings is the music.

No Faunts, no deal. :colbert:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I just did the mission to rescue the krogran scouts. Had a little something in my eye when Grunt rushed in to hold the ravagers off because I thought he was going to die but grinned like a madman when he came stumbling up covered in blood.

This game.

Apparently he does die if you didn't do his loyalty mission in ME2.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Darke GBF posted:

I was still really unsure of what to do at that point I'm not a Krogan fan like most goons seem to be, so I was seriously considering stopping the cure, since I wanted Salarian support. So I tried to delay him and I got that line, but when it came down to it I picked the option "I won't stop you." So he went up and did his song and, well. *frown*

You can talk Mordin down from curing the Genophage if Eve and Wrex are dead. Given that Wreav is an enormous dickbag with no redeeming values except for HURRDURR KROGUNZ 4 LYFE, and would gladly lead his people to death just to get vengeance on an already war-weary galaxy, in the long term loving over HIS Krogan is probably the best solution.

If Eve's alive, I don't believe you can talk Mordin down, even if Wreav is the leader. In the event you do convince him to not spread the cure, he becomes a War Asset.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

General Battuta posted:

As long as you get the charge evolution that restores your barriers to full instead of 50% I think you ought to be okay. If your cooldown is super short (it needs to be) you're basically invincible unless you run into multiple Cerberus turrets or a banshee.

Thanks, I think I have that one. I still die a lot but I think I'm being dumb and not constantly charging and ping-ponging around the battle.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Schlegel Mach posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either. Ending spoilers: I thought Synthesis was the best because everyone and everything becomes synthetic-organic and Shepard becomes the matrix and all of that is pretty loving awesome. I know it doesn't make thematic sense and it actually screws over everyone (Sorry Tali and Wrex!) and makes all choices completely irrelevant, but whatever! You're all not-robots now, enjoy.

Granted, I don't have as much invested in this series or its characters as some people.

By themselves the endings are fine.

The problem is just if you take them in context of the game it goes completely against what you do for 90% of the game and if you pick some of the persuade options to get the best forces actively disagrees with what the player witnesses in the game.

It comes off as arbitrary and out of character for the ME universe.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

No Faunts, no deal. :colbert:

Umm... Faunts has music in the ending.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Staying loyal to Ashley is a goddamn thankless job. SHUT UP ABOUT CERBERUS ALREADY GODDAMNIT. This is why I run with Garrus and Vega and hang out with them and Liara.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Are there any spoiler free walkthroughs out? I'm really paranoid about clearing areas because I don't want to miss war assets or anything. Also really unsure about what order to do quests and side stuff..I don't want to get screwed out of missing something.

Ash1138 posted:

Staying loyal to Ashley is a goddamn thankless job. SHUT UP ABOUT CERBERUS ALREADY GODDAMNIT. This is why I run with Garrus and Vega and hang out with them and Liara.

Kaidan is this way too and its really pissing me off. I wanted to strangle him during the first mission.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ash1138 posted:

I was surprised how much I liked Liara in this game. I didn't like her in ME1, but she was good in Shadow Broker and that carried over to this game extremely well.

Plus she's an awesome squad mate. Tossing out singularities and warps every two seconds.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Are there any spoiler free walkthroughs out? I'm really paranoid about clearing areas because I don't want to miss war assets or anything. Also really unsure about what order to do quests and side stuff..I don't want to get screwed out of missing something.

The best way to avoid getting locked out is to do those things before doing priority missions. So when a side mission pops up, go ahead and do that before doing the next priority one. Priority missions advance the plot and can lock stuff out.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Dolphin Fetus posted:

If you do every side quest you get before a priority quest, you shouldn't miss anything. Any items you miss will show up on vendors. As long as you thoroughly explore the citadel after each priority quest, you shouldn't miss any quests.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Umm... Faunts has music in the ending.

WELP. I just heard what sounded like generic creditsy stuff and skipped out.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

At least she drops it later and admits that she was being dumb about it. And then gets "when did i get on the floor" drunk, later.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did I completely gently caress up my Liara relationship by Banging Traynor? I didn't mean to, just...I was giving her a scrub down like I give all my crew, and I accidentally gave her the shocker and then it just kind of happaned.. Seriously, don't hit spacebar to bypass dialog :(

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 10, 2012

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

randombattle posted:

By themselves the endings are fine.

The problem is just if you take them in context of the game it goes completely against what you do for 90% of the game and if you pick some of the persuade options to get the best forces actively disagrees with what the player witnesses in the game.

It comes off as arbitrary and out of character for the ME universe.

I'm not saying I am a fan of the endings, I think they're terrible. I'm just saying that the "best" ending seems to be the synthesis ending, and it's kind of weird that most people in this thread think it's the one in which you murder EDI and your awesome Geth bros.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I just remembered something I felt was out of place. I'm hoping I'm not making assumptions when I say that there's something very odd about the scene where you kill a Reaper with a bombardment of airstrikes .

It has to do with a certain memorable scene from ME2, Isaac Newton, and the scale mentioned in that scene.

Which is why at that point Shep should be flat as a pancake or scattered across the planet. Especially considering a few of the shots hit the ground instead of the main target, not that it would matter much.

Sure, the scene is just there to look cool, but it's still fun to consider.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Starting up my second playthrough. What would you guys recommend for bonus power?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

twistedmentat posted:

Did I completely gently caress him my Liara relationship by Banging Traynor? I didn't mean to, just...I was giving her a scrub down like I give all my crew, and I accidentally gave her the shocker and then it just kind of happaned.. Seriously, don't hit spacebar to bypass dialog :(

What did you expect by giving your female crewmember a scrub down. :wink:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Did I completely gently caress him my Liara relationship by Banging Traynor? I didn't mean to, just...I was giving her a scrub down like I give all my crew, and I accidentally gave her the shocker and then it just kind of happaned.. Seriously, don't hit spacebar to bypass dialog :(

Yes you did.

member001
Feb 19, 2011
I just finished after 20hours as I was too eager to see 'what happens next' and thus did not get the 'best' ending.
Still awesome though and I'm too emotionally drained at this point to restart.

Also, I'm happy to eat my words as I was one of those who were concerned with the departure of Jack Wall for ME3. The new guy is just as good.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, this is by far the most fun to play Mass Effect game yet

I've seen a lot of people saying this, and I don't get it. Other than muliplayer, I don't see anything good about it. Instead of interacting with NPCs, you wander around like a stalker overhearing conversations. Then you check the journal, scan a planet, and do a floor by floor search of the citadel for new names on the map. The dialog wheel no longer gives you a nice illusion of having choices. Instead it seems to pop up as an afterthought and gives you two nearly identical options. The maps look prettier. But to compensate much of the little details look worse, and it's not a fair trade off. All the little clever details like the citadel Gamestop employee is missing, and it's been replaced by little repetitive conversation loops that are uninteresting and irritating after the 10th time you hear them. The dozen well fleshed out characters that you invested so much time in in ME2 show up for thirty second cameos. And for some reason the bulk of your squad is made up of new characters that you are given no reason the care about, while the ME2 standards are just doing half hearted walk-ons. And I haven't even gotten to the endings that everyone seems to hate. Hell, I'm at the halfway point and don't have much interest in going further.

It really feel like the game is 40% finished. There are constant choppy skips in dialog where bits were obviously removed or weren't finished. The whole way through the game so far, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that "something cool would have happened here if they'd had a few more months to finish this game". If anybody is debating buying it, I'd recommend getting it used from Gamestop. Because after the initial excitement fades in the next week they'll be flooded with used copies. I will say that the beefed up combat is great, as is the new AI. But it's a long wait through load screens and disc switching to get to the fights. The mutiplayer rocks, though.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just finished the Geth Dreadnought mission and I implore anyone who wants to take a femShep through to romance Garrus in ME2. The carryover in ME3 is fantastic.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Is slam any better in this game? I remember it being kind of rear end in ME2, really not sure if I want to put points into pull or lift grenade for Javik.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Did I completely gently caress up my Liara relationship by Banging Traynor? I didn't mean to, just...I was giving her a scrub down like I give all my crew, and I accidentally gave her the shocker and then it just kind of happaned.. Seriously, don't hit spacebar to bypass dialog :(

You better go apologize or she won't give you a gift later!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yes you did.

Crap! Oh well, I have another Femshep playthrough to use that has all the DLC done. The one i'm using now only has Zaeeds done, I didn't go back and play it after the others got released; I started a completely new game.

I completely buy Vega being gay; I assume anyone so aggressively masculine is repressing homosexual urges.

It's too bad you can't work to get your teammates together. During the Geth Dreadnought Tali and Garrus seem kind of sweet on each other. Tali seems kind of upset that Dr Michael gave Garrus chocolate.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Frankenstyle posted:

:words:

I was speaking specifically to the combat and conversations. Sure, you don't get "choices" the way you used to, but the dialogue flows more naturally and with few exceptions it's some of the best written dialogue in the series. The combat is ridiculously improved compared to the first two games, and you probably agree with that since you love the multiplayer.

So with the exception of obsessively scouring the citadel and the Normandy for snippets of new conversations, it's by far been the most fun of all three games.

Jarmel
Feb 18, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Starting up my second playthrough. What would you guys recommend for bonus power?

Stasis. However depends on your class. I'm going Infiltrator so this allows me to drop Liara.

Btw is this how Metal Gear fans felt after MGS4?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Am I alone in thinking that Liara had the best romance in this game? The fact that she couldn't possibly be killed and applied to both sexes gave them a lot more freedom in writing.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Anyone else feel like the synthesis ending makes the world look like Darwinia?

Anyway I'm going to replay the game now. What is the most overpowered class/weapon/skill combo that lets me steamroll through the game?

Geostomp posted:

Am I alone in thinking that Liara had the best romance in this game? The fact that she couldn't possibly be killed and applied to both sexes gave them a lot more freedom in writing.

Yeah I went down that route and it just seemed to make sense. I feel like the plot wouldn't be the same if she wasn't there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geostomp posted:

No, but I generally don't like Liara. She has a weird clinginess that has always been kind of creepy. She gets better than she was in ME1 but she always feel like Bioware's My Virtual Girlfriend character.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

DerDestroyer posted:

Anyway I'm going to replay the game now. What is the most overpowered class/weapon/skill combo that lets me steamroll through the game?

Vanguard, charge and nova everything.

Jarmel
Feb 18, 2012

DerDestroyer posted:

Anyone else feel like the synthesis ending makes the world look like Darwinia?

Infiltrator pretty much allows you to break the game at times. Vanguard and Adept are very good as well.

Pretty much anything over than Soldier and Sentinel.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
ME3 is better than the other two games. The conversations flow more naturally, the combat is better, and the writing is much better than the first two games. It's just that the ending is the last part of the game and is what I remember first when I look back on the game because it's the most fresh memory. Tuchanka and Rannoch were awesome and I loved the set pieces.

The only thing I don't like about the game is the ending. :negative:

Actually, the ending I was hoping for was one were Shepard settles down with [insert LI here] and sits in his/her underwear watching tv. In the beginning of the game when the Crucible goes under construction I though to myself, "Too bad Shepard is going to die heh :smug:." I was technically right but, I got the "perfect" ending on my first go where Shepard lives. It's not so much that I think it's the "good" ending but, all the choices stupid instead of "hard moral choices." The game had the Geth plot of them gaining life through the Reaper tech. Destroying the Reapers invalidates the whole geth plot and fucks over the Quarians who were being helped out by the geth. Controlling the reapers goes against all the sacrifices made throughout the course of the journey. The evolution path doesn't make any loving sense and is incomprehensible to me. They're all bad and I think people are counting destroying the reapers as the best ending because Shepard coming out alive is the only good thing to come out of all the endings. I destroyed the reapers because that was the whole goal. I was unaware that Shepard had a chance of coming out alive and in my game he did. The endings really are terrible.

Also when you're charging for the beam and wake up, I looked around for the body of my squadmates only to find them absent. They were aboard the Normandy in the ending so I guess Joker flew in front of a Reaper, picked them up and then traveled through a mass relay because???

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jarmel posted:

Stasis. However depends on your class. I'm going Infiltrator so this allows me to drop Liara.

Btw is this how Metal Gear fans felt after MGS4?

The ending of MGS4, as batshit crazy as it was, at least wrapped things up nicely for its characters, so no.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

DrNutt posted:

I was speaking specifically to the combat and conversations.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was picking on you specifically. I just meant that I see a lot of people raving about how awesome the game game is, and I don't understand why.

But yeah, I agree that the combat is great and I have been liking that aspect a lot. It's the bits in between the combat that come up way short of the last two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

DerDestroyer posted:

Vanguard, max charge, max nova, never have to fire a bullet.

• Locked thread