Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

The Unnamed One posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it just wipes out synthetic life and Reaper tech. Everything else survives.

Then again nothing is clear when it comes to the endings.

(Ending stuff) Yeah I gotta admit I was pretty confused by the three. And of course the journal doesn't update and tell you what the various choices are and what the kid said, so I couldn't even double check which ones he said would definitely kill me or what each one would do. At that point I said gently caress it and googled "mass effect 3 ending Shepard survives" and went with that one.

General Battuta posted:

I won't tell you, but unless we get some new endings it seems like Bioware will. :smith: Ending spoilers: With the Normandy knocked out partway through a mass relay jump, and no relays left operational, it seems pretty unlikely that anyone from the Normandy incest colony is going to make it anywhere any time soon. Unless the Mass Effect MMO retcons it.

e: Yeah, it sounds pretty bad. Mass relay fluff: "This can propel a starship across enormous distances that would take centuries to traverse, even at FTL speeds." Stranded centuries away :(

...dammit. :( Time to find some "make everything better" fanfiction to read! I WANT MY HAPPY ENDING WITH KAIDAN GODDAMMIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

etalian posted:

I bet it's awkward for Shepard when a cabinet filled pictures of the girls from every port opens up due to rumpus in the Captain's quarters.

better'n notchin' the bedpost, imo

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Wow, what the gently caress was with those terrible ending choices? Do you want to control the reapers and die, kill the reapers/Geth and die, or do something completely nonsensical and die? Oh, and galactic civilization is hosed regardless. What exactly were you fighting for again?

I really can't think of a more effective way to ruin all the enjoyment I got out of the entire game, and make me want to never replay it again than having it end like that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Count Choculitis posted:

Well, it took me 37 hours, but I beat it. I'll update the OP now that I know everything (with spoiler tags of course).

Of course I loved the game overall, but I have some ending feelings:

This was my "get the hell back together with Kaidan at all costs" playthrough, so when I ran to that beam and Kaidan and Garrus weren't talking, I thought I'd gotten them killed by bringing them along. Terrifying, but fortunately not true. Anderson dying killed me, I feel awful about it, but I still took the "red" ending and controlled the Reapers so that I didn't have to die. Normandy crashes on a planet (which can't be that far from Earth, since the Normandy was just there picking up my crew) and Garrus and Kaidan walk out of it with Joker, and Shep survives, barely (I assume the remains of the Citadel crash on Earth), so MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, eventually Shep will get better and find a ship and they'll live happily ever after and don't anyone tell me otherwise.

I just kind of wish there would have been a bit more resolution - it was a great ending, but I'm really attached to these characters and I want them to be happy. I wanted to see them all back together at the end, victorious and alive. I mean, my Shep survived, but the two other options you don't (I think?). So... I guess I just wanted a little more happiness (out of this "everyone is dying the world is ending sacrifice everyone you love" game. Silly me, haha

Though I have to say, the best part of the game, without a doubt, was (near-endgame character development spoilers) walking in to the gun battery right before the end and seeing that Garrus and Tali got together. They were totally awkward and hilarious about it, I laughed SO HARD, utter perfection.

I just want to know how you spent 9 more hours than me beating this game. I did everything and didn't skip anything and I still have no idea how you'd pad it out nine more hours.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

No seriously, did nobody at BioWare think about the fact that while EDI and Joker are all smiling and hugging (at the prospect of being crash-landed on some alien world with no idea what happened to the Reapers or Shepard), if Garrus and Tali survived then they're going to starve to death? The supply of the right amino acid foods is going to run out!! That's not really the ending I envisioned for either of those characters!! Horrible starvation death, you know!!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

What changes are there if you killed the Rachni back in ME1? Do they just not exist in ME3, or do they handwave them in somehow?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Sold this game back to Gamestop today because I was so mad with the ending. The two employees at gamestop were stunned and one of them said "You know the ending was supposed to be in DLC, right?" I laughed at her and told her that was bullshit and that I didn't pay $60 for a partial game only to have to pay $10 more for the ending. Not sure if many people were aware of this in the first place or if I was just dense going into picking up this game, but this will most definitely be the last Bioware/EA game I buy.

As far as I'm concerned the ending in the game is the ending that stands. Yeah they could go back and change it or add something in post, but I really don't give a poo poo at this point. Mass effect 3 was a let down like few others. The game was good until the end, but god was it not just so bad it ruined the rest of the game.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Shroomie posted:

What changes are there if you killed the Rachni back in ME1? Do they just not exist in ME3, or do they handwave them in somehow?

I believe Cerberus cloned a new queen, who you can also choose to save, but if you do she just ends up betraying you.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Well I got over Shepard dying in some of the endings. At the very least it eliminates the possibility of Bioware exploiting her character for all its worth in subsequent games. I just want to know what's going to happen to the galaxy now that all the mass relays are gone.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Shroomie posted:

I think it affects whether or not Grunt survives that mission into the Rachni base. Also, maybe, how much they contribute to the war effort.\

So I was really deflated at the ending of it. But then I was thinking that after three games of building a story, characters, mood, setting, etc... that no ending would be satisfactory. A+ to the series all around! Except the first one. It gets a B+.

Oh! And I almost forgot how loving great the voice acting for female Shepard was. God drat I was a big ol' mess when she was telling Garrus right before the final battle that, if she didn't make it out alive, she'd always be watching him. The way she said it was like she was really crying.

Col. Roy Campbell fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 10, 2012

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Wow, what the gently caress was with those terrible ending choices? Do you want to control the reapers and die, kill the reapers/Geth and die, or do something completely nonsensical and die? Oh, and galactic civilization is hosed regardless. What exactly were you fighting for again?

You don't always die - destroying the Reapers/geth you can survive. Still destroys the relays though. Sad.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just want to know how you spent 9 more hours than me beating this game. I did everything and didn't skip anything and I still have no idea how you'd pad it out nine more hours.

Haha no idea. I spent a lot of time running around, listening to background conversations, hanging out in Kaidan's room like a creeper, chattin' up my peeps, scanning everything in the galaxy, AFKing while I chat with people. You know. Usual stuff. :)

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Count Choculitis posted:

You don't always die - destroying the Reapers/geth you can survive. Still destroys the relays though. Sad.

The kid pointed out that Shepard was part synthetic with his implants. Stop all synthetics, Shepard's implants stop working, Shepard dies. There is no ending where Shepard lives.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

fivegears4reverse posted:

Oh my god someone please gif this salarian

Done.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Ending thoughts

It feels like they wanted no happy ending because happy endings are for children. While a good ending is bitter sweet, I hate the cut off that games tend to do. Even if the main character sacrifices himself, give us a better glimpse into the repercussions. It doesn't have to be much. Doing the "final battle is over that's the end" thing is bullshit. For a game that is character driven I am surprised by the lack of a wrapup. A short epilog would have been nice.

Otherwise a pretty good game. I think ME2 had better designed missions though. Too many side missions looked like retrofitted MP maps.

Is the general ending shep sacrifices himself in some way, your crew gets stuck on another planet, and the universe moves on remembering shep as a hero/legend? I know there will be minor differences but that seems like it covers the majority of it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lobst posted:

Done.

You're the best humanity has to offer.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

The kid pointed out that Shepard was part synthetic with his implants. Stop all synthetics, Shepard's implants stop working, Shepard dies. There is no ending where Shepard lives.

I definitely saw my Shep take a breath at the end of the game before it cut to the credits so I don't know what to tell you.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

(ending stuff) If you have 4000+ war assets (or 5000+ if Anderson dies before you can have the final chat with him), and take the destroy ending, you'll get a brief little teaser of Shepard moving.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

(ending stuff) If you have 4000+ war assets (or 5000+ if Anderson dies before you can have the final chat with him), and take the destroy ending, you'll get a brief little teaser of Shepard moving.

Must've been too busy being really pissed off at the ending to notice, because I did.

vv: Ah, that explains it.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Must've been too busy being really pissed off at the ending to notice, because I did.

Specifically that's after you consider readiness, and I think it's impossible to get quite that high without improving your readiness.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I went down to check on that awful IGN reporter who looks like Snooki, and over heard her having a conversation with another crew member about how she has to keep pandering to her audience because "e-democracies" can turn on things they used to claim to love in a heartbeat.

Real subtle, Bioware. Real loving subtle.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Just finished the game a few minutes ago and I'm not sure what I think. The game was phenomenal right up until the ending. It was clicking for me, story-wise, in just about every way. They even managed to make the romance feel more tied to the story instead of "choose woman, bang, never reference it again". At least with Tali it was pretty well written.

But, I am really not sure what to think of the endings.

The three options I was presented with disappointed me. I ended up choosing the synergy one, but felt like I was robbed of a fourth option. I just got done uniting the entire loving galaxy and I couldn't convince the ghost kid to turn off his god drat reapers??? Buuuuullllllshit.

The endings Bioware threw in simply don't fit the tone of the game. They're a little too out there and don't gel with the setting as presented, which makes them intensely unsatisfying. Not to mention they just put a bullet in the head of their franchise, which boggles my mind. Sure, they could do prequels, but isn't that crap kind of run into the ground these days?

I think I am just going to pretend my 360 red ringed sometime late in the final mission and I never got to finish the game.

Oh, and I busted my rear end clearing systems and doing sidequests and left very very few undone, and I only got 3500ish points. I can't see any way you can clear 5000 and get the 'perfect' ending without multiplayer in your initial run, and that sucks.

The Unnamed One posted:

Mass Effect 3 will probably be the patron saint of "Best games with the worst endings" somewhere down the line.

You are not wrong.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 10, 2012

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

So I went down to check on that awful IGN reporter who looks like Snooki, and over heard her having a conversation with another crew member about how she has to keep pandering to her audience because "e-democracies" can turn on things they used to claim to love in a heartbeat.

You're expecting subtlety from the company that had an NPC in ME2 complaining in a nerdy voice about wanting to travel distances and have to drink water and how modern RPGs are all about "visceral combat and meaningful choices" but I don't like that because I'm a neerrrrrrrrrdddd

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

And she's based on the IGN journo-whore Jessica Chobot, who got hired mainly for performing fellatio on a PSP.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

CrushedB posted:

You're expecting subtlety from the company that had an NPC in ME2 complaining in a nerdy voice about wanting to travel distances and have to drink water and how modern RPGs are all about "visceral combat and meaningful choices" but I don't like that because I'm a neerrrrrrrrrdddd

Their self referencing is funny when it's done right. If you meet Conrad Verner He references the import bug that made him think you were mean in ME1 even if you weren't. It's kinda funny.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

In retrospect, I probably should have known that something would have to be sacrificed for the tacked-on multiplayer.

When has adding multiplayer to a game that's largely singleplayer ever worked out well?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

E: ^^^ People seem to like Uncharted's multiplayer.

Brainamp posted:

Their self referencing is funny when it's done right. If you meet Conrad Verner He references the import bug that made him think you were mean in ME1 even if you weren't. It's kinda funny.

Yeah, there are times when things like this can be funny, like Garrus and Tali in ME2 talking about the elevator rides, and even Tali in this one going "Now hopefully we're done with elevators :colbert:" But this one was just...ech. Everything about it. What it was saying, who it was coming from, how it was said. They might as well just go "We make it so you can gently caress everyone because if not our creepiest fans would turn on us and they're our real bread and butter!" or something.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I just beat the game.

I'm pretty sure I did every single sidequest, and got every system to 100% (except for ones without anything in them, assuming I didn't just miss all the stuff hiding in the corners when I spent 15 minutes at a time scanning every inch), and I got neither of the achievements related to the war effort. (getting "most" of the assets and maxing out everything)

I don't really care that much since they're just achievements, and the atrocious ending kind of killed any desire I had to ever put the game back in my 360, but I'm kind of wondering what I was supposed to do to get them? Are there a bunch of really obscure sidequests that affect the war effort or something? I made a full sweep of the entire Citadel every time I finished a mission and listened to every NPC conversation to its end just in case I would get a chance to accept a quest, and it seemed like all my choices in the main story were the ones that would affect the war in the most positive manner, so I'm really confused.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Blarghalt posted:

In retrospect, I probably should have known that something would have to be sacrificed for the tacked-on multiplayer.

When has adding multiplayer to a game that's largely singleplayer ever worked out well?

...this game. The multiplayer is loving great.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

So Combat Drone, has anyone tried the rocket build? I've been using mine mostly with the short attack that has the 3 people chain lightning attack.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

DFu4ever posted:

Just finished the game a few minutes ago and I'm not sure what I think. The game was phenomenal right up until the ending. It was clicking for me, story-wise, in just about every way. They even managed to make the romance feel more tied to the story instead of "choose woman, bang, never reference it again". At least with Tali it was pretty well written.

But, I am really not sure what to think of the endings.

The three options I was presented with disappointed me. I ended up choosing the synergy one, but felt like I was robbed of a fourth option. I just got done uniting the entire loving galaxy and I couldn't convince the ghost kid to turn off his god drat reapers??? Buuuuullllllshit.

The endings Bioware threw in simply don't fit the tone of the game. They're a little too out there and don't gel with the setting as presented, which makes them intensely unsatisfying. Not to mention they just put a bullet in the head of their franchise, which boggles my mind. Sure, they could do prequels, but isn't that crap kind of run into the ground these days?

I think I am just going to pretend my 360 red ringed sometime late in the final mission and I never got to finish the game.

Oh, and I busted my rear end clearing systems and doing sidequests and left very very few undone, and I only got 3500ish points. I can't see any way you can clear 5000 and get the 'perfect' ending without multiplayer in your initial run, and that sucks.

You are not wrong.

Hell, I think it's better for everyone if the whole bit with the kid is just a last hallucination as Shepard dies from the blood loss. Would explain how Kaidan is somehow on the Normandy, even though he was pretty much side by side with Shepard as Harbinger vaporized everything.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Other than the endings, there was one other truly annoying thing/oversight.

Why wasn't Kelly Chambers name on the Normandy memorial? Hearing about her being executed was probably the most 'holy poo poo' moment of the game for me, even though it's just a little thing in the big picture. It just comes out of left field.

I am frustrated in the most nerdy way possible over her name being left off.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 10, 2012

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Brainamp posted:

My Conrad Verner Was a black matter physicist, much to my shepard's complete and utter surprise. He went on about dark matter and about this research paper he worked on and then afterward I got some points for it. I was laughing my rear end off. This random scrub who your character rolls his eyes at over 2 games ends up potentially helping save the universe. Then I checked the point score: 1 extra point. Hahahahaha.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thought experiment:

The Galactic Readiness / Multiplayer mechanic would have been a lot more favorably seen if the GR percentage boosted your Asset score, rather than fractioned it.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Amdis posted:

So Combat Drone, has anyone tried the rocket build? I've been using mine mostly with the short attack that has the 3 people chain lightning attack.

I had mine with rockets. It fires them from really far away, and they do a lot of damage and knockback. I haven't tried the lightning build though, so I couldn't really compare. I let my turret do close range stuff with the ridiculously awesome flamethrower upgrade.

deathsuxdontdie posted:

My Conrad Verner Was a black matter physicist, much to my shepard's complete and utter surprise. He went on about dark matter and about this research paper he worked on and then afterward I got some points for it. I was laughing my rear end off. This random scrub who your character rolls his eyes at over 2 games ends up potentially helping save the universe. Then I checked the point score: 1 extra point. Hahahahaha.

Man, mine just Jumped in front of me as a Cerberus spy tried to shoot me, but the gun was disabled by someone else anyway. He then walked off with a girl telling her about his time with Commander Shepard.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

Ok guys, I updated the OP with more info on squadmembers/returning characters, and I've added a general game tips/Assets+Readiness explanation in the third post. Please check it out and let me know what you think. The tips section is short at the moment because I'm tired and just beat the game, so if you have additions, I'd love to add them. :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just when the game was getting good Mordin kicks the bucket and then Thane dies in my next set of missions. I...I don't know if I want to play anymore. I was playing for those two people. :negative:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh my God, everything on the Normandy post-Sur'kesh is loving gold.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Count Choculitis posted:

Ok guys, I updated the OP with more info on squadmembers/returning characters, and I've added a general game tips/Assets+Readiness explanation in the third post. Please check it out and let me know what you think. The tips section is short at the moment because I'm tired and just beat the game, so if you have additions, I'd love to add them. :)

It would be nice if the OP had a list of things you should do (i.e. destroying the heretics) in all 3 games to get the highest possible asset score.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Pretty angry right now. I'm a significant distance into the game and have explored all the content available to this point.

About the Geth/Quarian Choice

So I didn't have my save file due to hard drive crash and I downloaded one from MassEffectSaves, and now I'm at this point and there is no paragon option. So to get the ending I desire with the Geth/Quarian alive, I have to loving restart the game? Based on a choice I wasn't aware was there in advance, and to know I would have had to read through the entire plot in advance? loving seriously?

Is there any way to edit your save file midstream? I'm pretty angry and this is pretty much "never gonna play it again without even finishing it" angry if I'd have to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I wonder what the absolute highest score you can get it is, assuming you do everything 'perfectly'.

• Locked thread